Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

HF Podcast: Saint John Sea Dogs

Old
12-11-2009, 10:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
HF Podcast: Saint John Sea Dogs

HF writer Kevin Forbes fills us in on all that is good about the Saint John Sea Dogs in part 1 of this podcast

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
torontosports10

Good job, kinda wish they covered who they may be targeting at the deadline, but o well.

torontosports10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:08 PM
BobbyRyan9
Let's Go Bruins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontosports10 View Post
Good job, kinda wish they covered who they may be targeting at the deadline, but o well.
Maybe we'll get some insight with part 2 of the podcast. Good assessment with some of the players, I agree with what he said about Kirkpatrick. A solid player that is often overlooked due to his size, but can still play in various situations for Saint John. I'd have to single out Mike Hoffman as the top player on the team, but he is surrounded by a good group of guys. Last year he complemented the Yannick Riendeau's and Danny Masse's on the top line and this year he is sort of playing their role.

BobbyRyan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Hi guys,

Not sure if you heard the second half of the podcast or not. We briefly touched upon the Allen rumours, but I do have a bit more to share then what I was able to talk about in the podcast.

With the trade period approaching, there's a lot of chatter in the pressbox about what teams are going to do, who are the buyers, who are the sellers and so on.

But what do you do if you're Saint John?

Obviously, this is their year to go for it, this is the year they've been building towards (while I'm at it, I think Jacques Beaulieu needs the appropriate hat tip. I know there was good reason for the firing, but his fingerprints are all over this team and he has to be considered one of the key architects of their success this year) and so they should be looking to utilize some of their picks and younger players/prospects to strengthen their team any further.

But, right now, in the midst of this streak (which I believe is up to 21 now), do you really want new guys in the dressing room? Do you want to play with that dynamic? The guys in the press box that know Gallant assure me that he's got his finger on the pulse of this team, he knows how to manage them perfectly and so far, it looks to be the case. But as the trading period looms, what does Saint John do? If they keep winning...it's hard to justify changing anything.

Now, the big idea we've all heard would be to bring in a guy like Jake Allen to shore up what has been stellar netminding in case it is no longer as stellar. Then perhaps move Gelinas and bring in an additional body on defense (likely a 20-year-old) to take some of the pressure off that top four. If this is truly Saint John's year to go for it and they are serious about a Memorial Cup or bust mentality, I think that's what they need to do.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
Hi guys,

Not sure if you heard the second half of the podcast or not. We briefly touched upon the Allen rumours, but I do have a bit more to share then what I was able to talk about in the podcast.

With the trade period approaching, there's a lot of chatter in the pressbox about what teams are going to do, who are the buyers, who are the sellers and so on.

But what do you do if you're Saint John?

Obviously, this is their year to go for it, this is the year they've been building towards (while I'm at it, I think Jacques Beaulieu needs the appropriate hat tip. I know there was good reason for the firing, but his fingerprints are all over this team and he has to be considered one of the key architects of their success this year) and so they should be looking to utilize some of their picks and younger players/prospects to strengthen their team any further.

But, right now, in the midst of this streak (which I believe is up to 21 now), do you really want new guys in the dressing room? Do you want to play with that dynamic? The guys in the press box that know Gallant assure me that he's got his finger on the pulse of this team, he knows how to manage them perfectly and so far, it looks to be the case. But as the trading period looms, what does Saint John do? If they keep winning...it's hard to justify changing anything.

Now, the big idea we've all heard would be to bring in a guy like Jake Allen to shore up what has been stellar netminding in case it is no longer as stellar. Then perhaps move Gelinas and bring in an additional body on defense (likely a 20-year-old) to take some of the pressure off that top four. If this is truly Saint John's year to go for it and they are serious about a Memorial Cup or bust mentality, I think that's what they need to do.
The rumor out of SJ is that Stich was our down payment on Allen. The deal was made in October and now we can't back out even if we wanted to. Gelinas has been playing well enough that the deal doesn't make a lot of sense, but it supposedly has been signed off on.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:39 AM
BobbyRyan9
Let's Go Bruins!

Good follow up to part one. It sounds like you are fairly certain about Allen coming over to Saint John at some point during the trading period. People have been talking about this since the beginning of the season. While Gelinas is obviously a great netminder, you can't refuse how beneficial Allen would be for the Sea Dogs. He could be huge for them in some of the later rounds if they end up playing a Drummondville or Victoriaville (which I'm sure they will). Plus, if they do end up going to the Memorial Cup, I think people would be thankful for having Allen in net.

BobbyRyan9 is offline   Reply With Quote