HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Brule for Torres deal revisited

Old
12-12-2009, 03:22 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
I loved it at the time because I hated Raffi Torres.
This.

I couldn't care less what we got for him, I just wanted him gone.

I never thought Brule would amount to much (maybe a 4th liner at most, our next version of Moreau or Reasoner).

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I loved the deal at the time, because I really didn't like all the off ice things I was hearing about Torres. IMO that really hurt both Raffi and Stoll. If they could have just been more focused on hockey it might have been different here.
Neither were traded due to their off ice activity. Both were injured and or recovering from injury. Stoll had a real hard time with the concussions and looks to have bounced back fine.

LA is an even more physical club with Stoll and Greene in the lineup adding to Brown. With Smyth back this will be a tough club to face in the playoffs. They give up Vis to us but again a good deal for both clubs. The drawback though, and needs to factored in, is Stoll and Greene will still be good players in the league when Vis is retired.

WE did well in the trades and theres no doubt but Stoll/Torres are way better than dressing Storts, JFJ, Stone, big minutes. Physical game plus they can produce.

Stoll is having himself a very good year in LA. Tough bugger to play against and a better Center than anything we got.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Neither were traded due to their off ice activity. Both were injured and or recovering from injury. Stoll had a real hard time with the concussions and looks to have bounced back fine.

LA is an even more physical club with Stoll and Greene in the lineup adding to Brown. With Smyth back this will be a tough club to face in the playoffs. They give up Vis to us but again a good deal for both clubs. The drawback though, and needs to factored in, is Stoll and Greene will still be good players in the league when Vis is retired.

WE did well in the trades and theres no doubt but Stoll/Torres are way better than dressing Storts, JFJ, Stone, big minutes. Physical game plus they can produce.

Stoll is having himself a very good year in LA. Tough bugger to play against and a better Center than anything we got.
Really? Where did you hear this? I'm not saying they were traded for their off ice antics at any rate. I am saying that I was glad to see Torres gone because of it, and that I thought, and still think that if Torres and Stoll behaved themselves off ice they might still be Oilers. Complete speculation on my part. Not sure how you know this is incorrect as a fact.

As for your off topic thought about Stoll, I like the guy and would still love him on our team, but not at the expense of our best player, Lubomir Visnovsky.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:45 PM
OmegaTheory

I liked the deal when it was made because like many I thought that Torres's duedate with this team had experied.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Really? Where did you hear this? I'm not saying they were traded for their off ice antics at any rate. I am saying that I was glad to see Torres gone because of it, and that I thought, and still think that if Torres and Stoll behaved themselves off ice they might still be Oilers. Complete speculation on my part. Not sure how you know this is incorrect as a fact.
I think properly viewed neither of these deals were about giving up on the players as much as getting good returns for both.

The players were reasonably respected by the org and remember Stoll/Torres were the two Oilers that had options but decided they would help out the org and play for the Edmonton Roadrunners the year of the lockout.

That was a huge marketing bonanza for the Roadrunners and helped their ticket sales having a couple young Oilers on the squad. The club talked about appreciating that from the two and there was some flak league wide from the NHLPA afairc directed at the players that made this choice. Especially here because the Roadrunners were playing that year in the SAME market.

One of the best posters and mods on this board ever, IceDragoon, viewed Stoll as a great leader and future prospect and likely captain of this club.

Quote:
As for your off topic thought about Stoll, I like the guy and would still love him on our team, but not at the expense of our best player, Lubomir Visnovsky.
I agree, but again one needs to look at the age differential to properly compare the assets.
The Oilers gave up 6 potential years of a player in this deal. Stoll is a loyal player and likely to continue to play for an org. Stoll is 27 now and in prime and boy this club could use a player like him.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 05:10 PM
alexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
That was 22 games in. I'm fairly certain that since Brule started producing with Gagner and Penner, that he's been playing on the PP with them.

Edit: I could be wrong, but I know for a fact he was playing with that unit last night.

You guys realize these stats are available on NHL.com right?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 05:55 PM
oilerfanatic

torres was streaky as hell and disappeared for long stretches at a time..this was a steal of a deal, i love brule..there's a reason why doug maclean is probably the worst GM the nhl has ever seen..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 05:59 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

I am amused that both sides like the deal

not often that happens

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
It's a win-win trade for both teams.
That's true, but in the long run Edmonton probably wins it outright.

People who doubted Brule had no idea. I've always, always said this kid in time would be at the very least a serviceable NHL'er. Too much there to work with.

Last year I told people he'd be in the lineup full time this season, and prove to be a good player. Loads of untapped potential, still, in this guy.

I coined him "Edmonton's secret weapon". Huge fan of his, a player in his prime who can put up 60-70 points, potentially score 30 goals and be a gritty, versatile 2 way forward.

Last edited by Philly85: 12-14-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:12 AM
hemskysuncle

i think this trade was a real win for both clubs. Columbus needed to build a proper team before Nash bolted for some other place, and so they needed players in their (or approaching their) prime. Torres is a bit of a downgrade in offensive talent but with the age difference and physical difference, it made up for it. I still like him and think he is a solid winger able to play a great 2nd line role with PP time. Brule is possibly a true top line player, but at the very worst, will develop into the next mike peca. either way: at the very worst, i would have still traded torres for a 22 year old peca at the time.

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Sayuri

Quote:
I think properly viewed neither of these deals were about giving up on the players as much as getting good returns for both.

The players were reasonably respected by the org and remember Stoll/Torres were the two Oilers that had options but decided they would help out the org and play for the Edmonton Roadrunners the year of the lockout.

That was a huge marketing bonanza for the Roadrunners and helped their ticket sales having a couple young Oilers on the squad. The club talked about appreciating that from the two and there was some flak league wide from the NHLPA afairc directed at the players that made this choice. Especially here because the Roadrunners were playing that year in the SAME market.

One of the best posters and mods on this board ever, IceDragoon, viewed Stoll as a great leader and future prospect and likely captain of this club.

I agree, but again one needs to look at the age differential to properly compare the assets.
The Oilers gave up 6 potential years of a player in this deal. Stoll is a loyal player and likely to continue to play for an org. Stoll is 27 now and in prime and boy this club could use a player like him.
I find that you seem to be one of the only posters one here who has anything level headed to say about Torres and Stoll. The team went through a rough stretch for a lot of reasons and these two were casualties of that time. Both good players and excellent additions to their respective hockey teams, of the two I think this team is missing Stoll a lot.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:51 AM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
There is no way Gagner's agent is going to agree to sign Gagner to a long term deal unless the Oiler overpay on potential.

My prediction for the day. Cogs is not an Oiler by the end of the year.

The Oilers may want to sign Brule for a long term deal but his agent may want a short term deal as he may feel this is the tip of the iceberg.
i for one would like to see gagner signed to a 6 year deal giving him 21 million dollars

2miilion
3million
4million for the last 4 years

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:56 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
torres was streaky as hell and disappeared for long stretches at a time..this was a steal of a deal, i love brule..there's a reason why doug maclean is probably the worst GM the nhl has ever seen..
What does Doug Mclean's GM abilities have to do with this trade? Because he rushed Brule into the NHL?

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:06 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Didn't read all the comments, but Brule was someone the Oilers liked. Torres was someone that was going to be shipped out that summer. So when you get a chance to get a former top 6 pick for someone you deemed as a cancer why wouldn't you? Add to it Torres's injury problems and I see no reason why we wouldn't do this trade again.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockynight View Post
i for one would like to see gagner signed to a 6 year deal giving him 21 million dollars

2miilion
3million
4million for the last 4 years
Is that You Mr.Lowe?

You're that GM that pays for potential rather than results right?

As far as I'm concerned Gags has proven he's worth no more than $2.5million per season, and until he shows it, there's no reason to lock him up to a backloaded contract like that.

Perfect_Drug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo View Post
You guys realize these stats are available on NHL.com right?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

Thankyou. Stats don't lie.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
This.

I couldn't care less what we got for him, I just wanted him gone.

I never thought Brule would amount to much (maybe a 4th liner at most, our next version of Moreau or Reasoner).
Those were my thoughts exactly.

Brule has shocked me by actually being productive at the NHL level. Good stuff!

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:21 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn Duliba View Post

I had that mentality at one time, but after seeing what holes where made by guys like Stoll, Greene, Torres and Reasoner left I started thinking differently.

Old
12-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:

Pre-concussion injury I may have agreed with that statement, he wasn't the same player after the injury. The Vis trade I would do over and over again, but the Oilers failed to replace what we lost in Stoll (faceoffs) and Green (tough stay at home D) though and that was mgmt's mistake and still is.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 06:37 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn Duliba View Post

You gotta listen to good old m_b!

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 07:07 PM
theranfordflop

I don't know why we're talking about Stoll as if he didn't want to leave. The guy was engaged to Rachel Hunter, the Oilers did him a huge favour sending him to LA.

As for Torres... Well, he wasn't a core member of the team, and Brule has the potential to be that.

theranfordflop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 07:25 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
I don't know why we're talking about Stoll as if he didn't want to leave. The guy was engaged to Rachel Hunter, the Oilers did him a huge favour sending him to LA.

As for Torres... Well, he wasn't a core member of the team, and Brule has the potential to be that.

Stoll gets brought up due to the fact him and Torres were partners in crime away from the ice and in one game--they nearly had this entire board wanting to string them up--when they both were in the penalty box at the same time--there was a lynch party being formed

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I had that mentality at one time, but after seeing what holes where made by guys like Stoll, Greene, Torres and Reasoner left I started thinking differently.
I think the holes were just Stoll and Reasoner, they won faceoffs and as a result our pk was great. On the other hand our even strength play was not so great.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
You gotta listen to good old m_b!
When an Oiler prospect proves me wrong and produces, I am more than happy to be wrong. But, the first three or four years of his pro career certainly didn't indicate that he would be this good in the NHL.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
I think the holes were just Stoll and Reasoner, they won faceoffs and as a result our pk was great. On the other hand our even strength play was not so great.
Torres was a physical presence that could score 20 goals, even without the goals we just finally replaced him. The year Greene was traded he became that big shutdown d-man that the team needed when he was traded and still need today, although Smid is finally coming around having Smid and Greene on the backend would take care of that mean shutdown d-men that we need.