HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penner for Captain!

Old
12-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Hunt4Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Hard Justice View Post
It's a respect thing. Every team in the NHL has a leadership group of more than one player, but every team only has 1 captain. To be named captain of your team is an Honor, and i suspect the players do take its symbolic meaning seriously.
I wanted Souray as the Captain as soon as we signed him. You better believe he would be damn proud to wear the C.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:32 AM
VincenzosOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
So why not give the C to Talbot instead of Crosby? After all it doesnt matter. I am not a nhler but when I played hockey if the captain was a clown, it affected the team.
So when you were Captain, how did it affect your team?? j/k

I think the importance of who carries the captaincy might be overstated but imo it does matter. Talbot wearing the C wouldn't of made a difference imo to Pitts success but lets face it, it would never have come to Talbot anyway.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:40 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzosOil View Post
So when you were Captain, how did it affect your team?? j/k

I think the importance of who carries the captaincy might be overstated but imo it does matter. Talbot wearing the C wouldn't of made a difference imo to Pitts success but lets face it, it would never have come to Talbot anyway.
I was an alternate but never wore the "C". Probably should have one year for sure, but the players know who the real leader is on the team. A bogus captain causes dissension. I cant really say if that is the case with the Oilers as I am not on the team, but it is definitely a possibility.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Hunt4Oil

Quote:
I was an alternate but never wore the "C". Probably should have one year for sure, but the players know who the real leader is on the team. A bogus captain causes dissension. I cant really say if that is the case with the Oilers as I am not on the team, but it is definitely a possibility.
Ethan has never been Captain material imo, I hate the whole oh he's been here so long we have to give him the C routine. I was quite shocked that Quinn didn't pick his own Captain though.

Old
12-12-2009, 12:46 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers8389 View Post
Ethan has never been Captain material imo, I hate the whole oh he's been here so long we have to give him the C routine. I was quite shocked that Quinn didn't pick his own Captain though.
Should be the players that choose the captain, not the coach imo. Maybe he is a popular guy in the room, well respected, etc.. we dont really know, but it doesnt look very good to the neutral observer.

Old
12-12-2009, 12:47 AM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Moreau was by far the most logical choice at the time he was selected (to those of us on the outside, anyway).

Anyone that doesn't remember that has a short memory.

oXo Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Moreau was by far the most logical choice at the time he was selected (to those of us on the outside, anyway).

Exactly. If we brought up old polls, we'd find that the majority thought that Chopper was the next captain.

And I'm not sure he's a bad captain either. His skills have certainly declined, but we don't know what he's like in the locker room. Until the players speak out against him, I don't think we really have the right to say he's a bad captain.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:54 AM
VincenzosOil

Quote:

I think you're right. He wore his heart on his jersey, he bled and still bleeds Oiler blue and he was coming off an impressive season, iirc. I don't recall there being too much resistance to his captaincy.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:15 AM
tiger_80

I don't know what Moreau's status is in the dressing room, but IMO, people forget very easily why he became a captain in the first place. And the truth is until a couple of years ago Moreau was a fanstastic role player, capable of taking over the games and scoring 15-20 goals, while killing penalties, providing physical play and leadership on the ice.
I think pretty much any NHL club would love to have Ethan Moreau from 4-5 years ago.

tiger_80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Hunt4Oil

I wasn't a fan of him being the Captain from day 1, I didn't mind Gator as Captain but this team hasn't had a point producing Captain since Weight and I think it's time.

Old
12-12-2009, 01:27 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

To me a captain is someone that gets **** done. When the team is down, he is the won that puts everyone on his back and goes out there and makes a difference, sometimes all by himself. That is why players look up to and respect a good captain. You need to lead first and foremost on the ice, with your play. Right now Penner is the closest thing we have to this. If he continues to play this way for the rest of the year and into next year, he would be the obvious choice imo.

Old
12-12-2009, 01:31 AM
McEwen

I already stated this before, but when we signed Souray that was suppose to be the season of change. When I heard that news I was hoping we would make him Captain. I have been a huge fan since his days in Montreal and I felt if we wanted to prove to the league and to FA's that we mean buisness in making a change Souray should be captain.

Obviously that didn't happen.

My pecking order for Captains:
Souray
Horcoff
Visnovsky
Penner
Hemsky

McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Hunt4Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by McEwen View Post
I already stated this before, but when we signed Souray that was suppose to be the season of change. When I heard that news I was hoping we would make him Captain. I have been a huge fan since his days in Montreal and I felt if we wanted to prove to the league and to FA's that we mean buisness in making a change Souray should be captain.

Souray
Horcoff
Visnovsky
Penner
Hemsky

Old
12-12-2009, 01:42 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
I wouldn't give it to him just yet.

(Ex: Lets see if he can put two years in a row together here... if he does, extend the man and slap it on him).

That said, he's the best interview the Oilers have had since the Guerin/Weight days. Sharp and well spoken.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:43 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by McEwen View Post

Souray
Horcoff
Visnovsky
Penner
Hemsky
Not trying to pick on you as we are all entitled to our opinions but Hemsky should not be on any list when talking about a future captain. If the reports of him being last on and first off the ice on a consistent basis in practices are true, I dont really even want the guy on my team, never mind being the captain.

Old
12-12-2009, 01:47 AM
McEwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers8389 View Post
And I see no problem choosing Horcoff. Since when are you suppose to pick Captains based on stats? Please make an argument at least to why you feel this.

*RANT*
If you are going to be upset with something or feel a certain way, please add more than a emoticon and give a reason why you feel this.
*END RANT*

Quote:
Not trying to pick on you as we are all entitled to our opinions but Hemsky should not be on any list when talking about a future captain. If the reports of him being last on and first off the ice on a consistent basis in practices are true, I dont really even want the guy on my team, never mind being the captain.
I understand that and that is why he is at the bottom. Right now in the current roster do you see anyone else more fit after him? Staios will retire after this year or next I would assume.

McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:48 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I wouldn't give it to him just yet.

(Ex: Lets see if he can put two years in a row together here... if he does, extend the man and slap it on him).

That said, he's the best interview the Oilers have had since the Guerin/Weight days. Sharp and well spoken.
Fair enough. Just for the record how many years did Crosby wait to get the "C"? What about Toews?

Old
12-12-2009, 01:54 AM
PDO

Quote:
Fair enough. Just for the record how many years did Crosby wait to get the "C"? What about Toews?
Yes.. but how many times did they show up to camp out of shape?

Old
12-12-2009, 02:03 AM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Quote:
To me a captain is someone that gets **** done. When the team is down, he is the won that puts everyone on his back and goes out there and makes a difference, sometimes all by himself. That is why players look up to and respect a good captain. You need to lead first and foremost on the ice, with your play. Right now Penner is the closest thing we have to this. If he continues to play this way for the rest of the year and into next year, he would be the obvious choice imo.
To me, that is what you expect out of your best players, like what happened last night against the blues. IMO, your captain is not someone that finds that extra gear he didnt know he had when the team needed it most, but rather a player who sets an example for the rest of the team because he gives everything he has to give on every shift of every game he ever plays, regardless of his playing ability, a la Jason Smith. At the time Moreau was picked, this was believed about him as well. I don't think the same can be said for Penner just yet, and DEFINITELY not for Hemsky.

oXo Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:05 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Yes.. but how many times did they show up to camp out of shape?
I think he has shown everyone that he is serious about taking his game to the next level. The cheese burger jokes should be thrown on the scrap heap with the Mactavish talk. He has earned the right to move on and not be dogged with that garbage anymore. Im not advocating that the "C" should be stitched on his jersey by sunrise. But he should be in consideration for the next captain of this team.

Old
12-12-2009, 02:07 AM
PDO

Quote:
I think he has shown everyone that he is serious about taking his game to the next level. The cheese burger jokes should be thrown on the scrap heap with the Mactavish talk. He has earned the right to move on and not be dogged with that garbage anymore. Im not advocating that the "C" should be stitched on his jersey by sunrise. But he should be in consideration for the next captain of this team.
Hey, I'm a guy who predicted 30 goals (I'm not gonna say I predicted him to be THIS good... but I called 30 goals and am really loving his game).

Still though, he has to do it twice before he should be wearing the C. I believe he will, but he still has to actually go out and do it first.

And really, as much as I'd love it, I don't think Moreau is going anywhere until his contract is up... and he certainly won't be stripped.

So in the end, so long as Penner brings the same effort next season, we're on the same page here for a change

Old
12-12-2009, 02:14 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
'the captain was a clown, it affected the team'

Not question. but, IMHO, it is not nearly as important as we fans make it out to be. Remember, Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe were never captains, but, unquestionably leaders. The Oilers would not be any better with a different captain, but same lineup. they will better when they have better players.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:16 AM
Stoneman89

Penner for captain? Might be premature. Let's wait until next game and see who comes up big. Maybe someone like Gilbert or Jacques will pot a couple and they should be captain.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
'the captain was a clown, it affected the team'

Not question. but, IMHO, it is not nearly as important as we fans make it out to be. Remember, Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe were never captains, but, unquestionably leaders. The Oilers would not be any better with a different captain, but same lineup. they will better when they have better players.

A voice of reason.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:19 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Horcoff might have the edge over Souray as he seems to be a better spokesman for the team to media and there's no clouds hanging overhead about whether he's said he's open to a trade or being dangled as trade bait.

My Captain List:
1. Moreau (status quo, hey things look like they are clicking)
2. Horcoff
3. Souray

Staios seems a bit more removed from media, etc this season. Even though his on ice is looking more improved. And he could be nearing the twilight of his career.

Hemsky...

Not on my list, but I'm surprised no one brought up Gagner yet.

My Assistant List:
1. Horcoff/Souray (whoever is not C)
2. Staios
3. Penner
4. Gagner
5. Visnovsky
6. Hemsky

Future C/A List:
1. Brule
2. Stortini
3. Smid
4. Cogs