HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penner for Captain!

Old
12-12-2009, 03:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Penner for captain? Might be premature. Let's wait until next game and see who comes up big. Maybe someone like Gilbert or Jacques will pot a couple and they should be captain.
Its tough being ahead of the curve. Im sure everyone will be saying that they thought Penner should have been captain from way back in a couple of years.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:38 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

vCash: 500
No, i love the way "The D Train" is playing but a very good 32 game stretch does not make a captain plus he doesn't seem to have the personality to be captain material.... Souray should be the clear cut choice when Moreau moves on, no doubt about it.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:42 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Its tough being ahead of the curve. Im sure everyone will be saying that they thought Penner should have been captain from way back in a couple of years.

And on the off chance that he isn't, would you like anyone to remind you?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Double O Stache

In all seriousness I would vote Stortini for Captain before Penner.

Double O Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
And on the off chance that he isn't, would you like anyone to remind you?
Im not one to bump threads to say I told you so, I dont think you are either.

Old
12-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
Next Captain

1) Shawn Horcoff
2) Steve Staios
3) Ales Hemsky
4) Sheldon Souray

#2 and #3 are just plain bad. Must be too early in the morning for you. Go back to bed.

Captain of an NHL team is about character and not about your skills. I'm pretty sure that Moreau's character and will to win is not really in question here, and if it is , it shouldn't be.

Last edited by Oilerz: 12-12-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:01 PM
RKD

No thanks. He just got a letter this year and already mentioned how it was a bit of a change for him.

He's wearing an A, he's scoring at an insane pace, and he's a possibility for Team Canada. I think that's enough right now. Just let him play hockey and help the Oilers win games the way he knows how.

12-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Stoneman89

There's a lot more to being a captain of an NHL team than simply filling the net, IMO. Not all guys that are snipers are captain material. Moreau was a very good choice, in that he provided a role model for younger players with his hard nosed attitude, work ethic, solid commitment in the community, and yes, some seniority and longevity with the organization. Sadly, his skills have depreciated somewhat in the last 2-3 years, possibly due to injury and the reckless style of play he was famous for. As a result I think he's changed his game, not for the better. Chasing guys around the ice and taking bad penalties, probably because his body won't let him get into proper position anymore to make the clean solid hit. I would move him because of declining skills, not captaincy problems, and to make room for a younger, healthier, faster, and yes cheaper player to keep in line where this team should be headed. There are many leaders on a team, not all of them can be captain, or are captain material. IMHO, I don't think Penner should be a captain. I don't believe his personality suits it. Just because he gives a funny interview now and then is not a reason, nor is his recent power surge. This suggestion smacks of knee-jerk, just like a lot of other suggestions I've seen on here. I have never heard any reports of any player in the room questioning Moreau's captaincy. To the contrary, he looked after some kids like Gilbert, Gagner and Cogliano with a house when they first made the team. Something like Messier would do, but without the skill on the ice. None of us, I presume, have any "inside" info as to how other players feel about him, so I think it's a dead issue. There seems to be a lot of respect for Pat Quinn and the new coaching staff on this board. If there was ever a chance to change the captaincy, the beginning of the season was the time to do it, if Quinn felt it was necessary. The players also did not suggest anything at the time. But Quinn didn't, and in that way, continued to endorse Moreau as the captain. When he is moved, that will be the time for a new captain. Otherwise, it's silly talk, IMO.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
There's a lot more to being a captain of an NHL team than simply filling the net, IMO. Not all guys that are snipers are captain material. Moreau was a very good choice, in that he provided a role model for younger players with his hard nosed attitude, work ethic, solid commitment in the community, and yes, some seniority and longevity with the organization. Sadly, his skills have depreciated somewhat in the last 2-3 years, possibly due to injury and the reckless style of play he was famous for. As a result I think he's changed his game, not for the better. Chasing guys around the ice and taking bad penalties, probably because his body won't let him get into proper position anymore to make the clean solid hit. I would move him because of declining skills, not captaincy problems, and to make room for a younger, healthier, faster, and yes cheaper player to keep in line where this team should be headed. There are many leaders on a team, not all of them can be captain, or are captain material. IMHO, I don't think Penner should be a captain. I don't believe his personality suits it. Just because he gives a funny interview now and then is not a reason, nor is his recent power surge. This suggestion smacks of knee-jerk, just like a lot of other suggestions I've seen on here. I have never heard any reports of any player in the room questioning Moreau's captaincy. To the contrary, he looked after some kids like Gilbert, Gagner and Cogliano with a house when they first made the team. Something like Messier would do, but without the skill on the ice. None of us, I presume, have any "inside" info as to how other players feel about him, so I think it's a dead issue. There seems to be a lot of respect for Pat Quinn and the new coaching staff on this board. If there was ever a chance to change the captaincy, the beginning of the season was the time to do it, if Quinn felt it was necessary. The players also did not suggest anything at the time. But Quinn didn't, and in that way, continued to endorse Moreau as the captain. When he is moved, that will be the time for a new captain. Otherwise, it's silly talk, IMO.
THIS^^^

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:22 PM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
God no.

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:55 PM
alexo

Quote:
Looking at your avatar that isnt surprising.
Don't let the avatar fool you.. it's actually meant to be ironic.

I am, was and always will be a supporter of Penner (ditto on Staios/Horcoff, so clearly you can tell I'm a bit crazy haha). I can say I'm not completely free of any criticism towards him, but generally speaking, I thought much of the criticism was uncalled for. I even wrote a blog post before the season started pleading his case about how he makes his linemates better (and again, before the season started).

However, making him captain is a very pre-mature, and very Edmonton-fan thing to suggest. Anyone remember that Jarret Stoll guy who almost had a bronze statue made up of him in front of Rexall before fans were hurriedly shipping him off? The fickle fans would be ready to strip the C off his chest as of next year if he started off slowly.

Last edited by alexo: 12-12-2009 at 06:05 PM.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Quinn is not going to come in here and create animosity by ripping the "C" off a veteran's chest. My train of thought here is who would make the best next captain. Souray could be a good choice, but he is probably entering the declining years of his career. Do we want to be in this same situation in three or four years?

I suggest Penner has shown great character in enduring the farce that was Mactavish along with the on again off again trade to the Senators to bounce back and have a career year. He carries this team offensively, plays PP, PK, and will stand up for his teammates. I see a lot of people on here suggesting this is a knee jerk reaction, or the product of a simple minded fool.

I put my record of statements up against anybody's on here. I have been wrong before and will be again. I will admit to it. At least I am not afraid to be one of the first one's to broach a topic, which is more than I can say for most of the detractors.

Old
12-13-2009, 07:16 AM
oilerfanatic

for those saying horcoff is a possibility i hope to god you are wrong..i don't want the C to be anywhere near that guy..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:15 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Hard Justice View Post
It's a respect thing. Every team in the NHL has a leadership group of more than one player, but every team only has 1 captain. To be named captain of your team is an Honor, and i suspect the players do take its symbolic meaning seriously.
its a Bullcrap thing more than anything.

if the C and A didnt exist in hockey, everyone would still realize who the exemplary leaders are. and like most SMART hockey people say, leadership is an ever-changing dynamic from situation to situation, game to game and further.

Ethan Moreau has wore the C all season and he's been a huge steaming pile of turds as a "leader".

these conversations are for total herd mentality type hockey fans.
its about the same triviality for people who whine for hours about how one countries players are better than another (ie. Canada vs. Russia), even though it has absolutely no concern to the NHL at all other than cosmetic nationalist hype.

"im so proud im not the OTHER."

sorry, there is no Other. grow up, small minded people.

CorpseFX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Six in O6

My order: Souray, Horcoff, Penner.

Souray is the best leader on this team, even if he is an irrational hot head some times and makes stupid plays. A lot like Moreau with more talent I'd say.

Horcoff is a career Oiler, like it or not. He's clutch in most cases and willing to do anything to help this team win.

Penner is one of few Oilers with a cup ring, he's playing great and is establishing himself as a go to guy, something few Oilers can claim since the days of Doug Weight.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 07:15 PM
HockeyNoob4u

Quote:
I think he deserves it. What do you think?
I've long thought that the Oilers would benefit from better on-ice leadership. I would give the nod to Penner for sure though I suspect the next captain will be someone who's been around longer like Horcoff.

HockeyNoob4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
its a Bullcrap thing more than anything.

if the C and A didnt exist in hockey, everyone would still realize who the exemplary leaders are. and like most SMART hockey people say, leadership is an ever-changing dynamic from situation to situation, game to game and further.

Ethan Moreau has wore the C all season and he's been a huge steaming pile of turds as a "leader".

these conversations are for total herd mentality type hockey fans.
its about the same triviality for people who whine for hours about how one countries players are better than another (ie. Canada vs. Russia), even though it has absolutely no concern to the NHL at all other than cosmetic nationalist hype.

"im so proud im not the OTHER."

sorry, there is no Other. grow up, small minded people.
Thanks for the input. Next time you want to tell all of us how simple minded we are do us a favour and keep it to yourself. In my experience playing the game leadership is a big part of a successful team.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:27 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Next time you want to tell all of us how simple minded we are do us a favour and keep it to yourself. In my experience playing the game leadership is a big part of a successful team.
This is true, but in my experience, no leader needed to be specifically named captain in order to lead.

I have had issues where someone was captain and got all pissy when other people tried to say something, but unless that's the situation with the Oilers, it's a non-issue.

My most recent men's league basketball team was filled with people that had the mental fortitude to lead by example and put in effort. None of us needed the captaincy to speak our mind, and our designated captain didn't mind when others took charge of a situation.

Unless captaincy has created a divide in the room (the only thing I have heard is a hearsay account of Quinn saying the guys are just different, I assume in a good way, when Ethan dresses) for all the wrong reasons, captaincy is low on the list.

Penner has put up his current point totals with Ethan as his captain, btw.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 01:09 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
This is true, but in my experience, no leader needed to be specifically named captain in order to lead.

I have had issues where someone was captain and got all pissy when other people tried to say something, but unless that's the situation with the Oilers, it's a non-issue.

My most recent men's league basketball team was filled with people that had the mental fortitude to lead by example and put in effort. None of us needed the captaincy to speak our mind, and our designated captain didn't mind when others took charge of a situation.

Unless captaincy has created a divide in the room (the only thing I have heard is a hearsay account of Quinn saying the guys are just different, I assume in a good way, when Ethan dresses) for all the wrong reasons, captaincy is low on the list.

Penner has put up his current point totals with Ethan as his captain, btw.
I was thinking more of who could replace Ethan after he is done. I cant really see how it would be a positive move to take it from him while he is still here. That would probably cause more problems than it would solve.

Old
12-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Boilers*

Given Dustin's wit and his propensity for a bit of mischeif I say he's wearing the "Si!" next halloween. "The team told me this means captain".

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:44 AM
hemskysuncle

for those who think the letter does not mean anything...take a look at what is happening in Philly...it might change your mind

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quinn is not going to come in here and create animosity by ripping the "C" off a veteran's chest. My train of thought here is who would make the best next captain. Souray could be a good choice, but he is probably entering the declining years of his career. Do we want to be in this same situation in three or four years?

I suggest Penner has shown great character in enduring the farce that was Mactavish along with the on again off again trade to the Senators to bounce back and have a career year. He carries this team offensively, plays PP, PK, and will stand up for his teammates. I see a lot of people on here suggesting this is a knee jerk reaction, or the product of a simple minded fool.

I put my record of statements up against anybody's on here. I have been wrong before and will be again. I will admit to it. At least I am not afraid to be one of the first one's to broach a topic, which is more than I can say for most of the detractors.
It is the epitome of a knee jerk reaction. It wasn't that long ago most folks were willing to trade this guy for next to nothing. Let the season play out, Moreau is probably gone soon enough anyways and stripping him now isn't the answer. Penner is exuding confidence right now, IMO I wouldn't mess with it. But you do make some good points and barring any setbacks I definitely think he would make a worthy candidate next season.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:35 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
Next Captain

1) Shawn Horcoff
2) Steve Staios
3) Ales Hemsky
4) Sheldon Souray
i dont know why but i see souray as the new captain as soon as we get rid of shoot first moreau

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
It is the epitome of a knee jerk reaction. It wasn't that long ago most folks were willing to trade this guy for next to nothing. Let the season play out, Moreau is probably gone soon enough anyways and stripping him now isn't the answer. Penner is exuding confidence right now, IMO I wouldn't mess with it. But you do make some good points and barring any setbacks I definitely think he would make a worthy candidate next season.
I wasnt one of those people. To be fair, I wasnt touting him for captain either. My main point is that if he is able to be a ppg guy who contributes on the pp and the pk he should definitely be in the mix for replacing Moreau when the time comes.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:46 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
I wasnt one of those people. To be fair, I wasnt touting him for captain either. My main point is that if he is able to be a ppg guy who contributes on the pp and the pk he should definitely be in the mix for replacing Moreau when the time comes.
As much as i like his improvement as a player, there's no way that he has near the personality to be captain material.... He's too passive and doesn't need another burden of being a captain of a team, the burden of his contract almost ruined his career, i don't think he wants to deal with more pressure.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote