HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pahlsson

Old
11-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

vCash: 500
Pahlsson

hey jackets fans, I came over here to see how Sami Pahlsson has been playing for you guys. Never really saw what he was capable of with the hawks, as we got him at the deadline when he had mono and seemed like he was playing with some sort of injury during the playoffs. I haven't really heard much about him after the signing. Been on par with his Anaheim days? Who are his linemates?

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Happy Pony

He's been decent as a shut down center. Not physical enough for my liking, but he's a good player, very good positionally. He was playing on the 3rd line (duh) with Chimera and Dorsett until Dorsett got hurt.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Am I the only one who has been underwhelmed by Pahlsson's performance thus far this season?

I'm not saying he's been bad, but for the money we're paying him, I expected more. Honestly, at that price, he isn't much of an upgrade over Peca, not to mention Malhotra (Boy do I feel stupid for saying he was a one year wonder. )

11-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Am I the only one who has been underwhelmed by Pahlsson's performance thus far this season?

I'm not saying he's been bad, but for the money we're paying him, I expected more. Honestly, at that price, he isn't much of an upgrade over Peca, not to mention Malhotra (Boy do I feel stupid for saying he was a one year wonder. )
He hasnt been as physical as I remembered him with Anaheim. He played with Kunitz and ?, and that line was a good shutdown line. He hasnt been the same since mono, last year. I believe it was mono.

Maybe hitch will give his some first line duty, to get him going.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 04:42 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
He hasnt been as physical as I remembered him with Anaheim. He played with Kunitz and ?, and that line was a good shutdown line. He hasnt been the same since mono, last year. I believe it was mono.

Maybe hitch will give his some first line duty, to get him going.
Sammy played with Rob Niedermayer and Travis Moen, not with Chris Kunitz.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Renion

Quote:

Nope.

Since you mentioned Peca, though, I'd recently come to the conclusion that Pahlsson was our new Peca: a guy we hope(d) will take it to another level of usefulness in the playoffs. It's entirely possible, since shutdown players tend to earn their glory then.

I was surprised to see Pahlsson recently mentioned in a thread about physical shutdown centers. I didn't remember his time in Anaheim very well (I know he was thought highly of), so the thought of him being physical was alien to me.

I'm not down on the guy, and I'm only talking about him because I saw this thread. But "underwhelmed" is a good word to use, though I honestly didn't have high expectations to begin with.

He's done really well on the penalty kill, though. Leads all forwards in SH TOI and SH TOI/G. Has only been scored on 5 times. To compare him with the other primary penalty killers, here's how long it takes them to be scored on, along with their rank among forwards/defense in SH TOI/G, and power-play goals against:

Pahlsson (1) 14:06, 5 PPGA
Hejda (1) 9:61, 7 PPGA
Umberger (3) 9:29, 7 PPGA
Klesla (2) 8:33, 11 PPGA
Methot (4) 7:93, 8 PPGA
Tyutin (3) 6:56, 11 PPGA
Vermette (2) 5:33, 13 PPGA
Nash (4) 4:58, 14 PPGA

Kind of stands out, doesn't he? Can't all be luck.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Sammy played with Rob Niedermayer and Travis Moen, not with Chris Kunitz.
My bad, selective memory.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
coyote

I always liked Manny and what he brought every night and believe he was alot better for this team then Phalsson. Phalsson is very defensive and dose not provide any offense to the team. What I'd like to know is why he plays 4 on 4?

coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 04:14 PM
MMMBERGER

Quote:

Not at all man.

I was thinking about that as I watched the game last night.

Quite frankly, he's really been invisible.

MMMBERGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 11:12 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I'm underwhelmed by just about everybody (in some capacity) so far this year. Even the bartender in the lower concourse uses too much ice and not enough gin!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Rimers stache

He's been invisible, which I suppose isn't to bad for a shutdown center. He wont make flashy plays and he hasn't made many mistakes. That being said, he is overpaid. I was hoping for somewhat of an offensive lift compared to Peca

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 07:11 AM
FiveHole23

Personally if this is the Pahlsson we will always see I was fine with Manny.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 07:39 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
He's done really well on the penalty kill, though. Leads all forwards in SH TOI and SH TOI/G. Has only been scored on 5 times. To compare him with the other primary penalty killers, here's how long it takes them to be scored on, along with their rank among forwards/defense in SH TOI/G, and power-play goals against:

Pahlsson (1) 14:06, 5 PPGA
Hejda (1) 9:61, 7 PPGA
Umberger (3) 9:29, 7 PPGA
Klesla (2) 8:33, 11 PPGA
Methot (4) 7:93, 8 PPGA
Tyutin (3) 6:56, 11 PPGA
Vermette (2) 5:33, 13 PPGA
Nash (4) 4:58, 14 PPGA

Kind of stands out, doesn't he? Can't all be luck.
What else do you people want from the guy?

I like Sammy a lot, but I also told you all at the time that I didn't like the terms of the contract. I think we are seeing the classic Marchant Syndrome- contract breeding unrealistic expectations leading to dissatisfaction with the player.

If he's playing less physical than expected, I think some of that is the result of our team's system, which ha always seemed to prioritize positioning over finishing checks.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
What else do you people want from the guy?

I like Sammy a lot, but I also told you all at the time that I didn't like the terms of the contract. I think we are seeing the classic Marchant Syndrome- contract breeding unrealistic expectations leading to dissatisfaction with the player.

If he's playing less physical than expected, I think some of that is the result of our team's system, which ha always seemed to prioritize positioning over finishing checks.
I had no illusions about Pahlsson, and until Plucky mentioned it recently, I'd even forgotten his contract--which I'd never "blame" him for anyway. When we got him, it was frequently said that he'd be a step down offensively from Malhotra, and a step up defensively. I'd say that's probably true to this point. I would like to see him having a bit more impact in the offensive zone; but, again, I'm not really down on the guy.

It's been my impression--and I don't have anything but impressions to back this up--that he hasn't been used in the shutdown role a great deal this season. That might just be because I'm thinking of road games where it's harder to match the lines up appropriately, but I keep seeing our top line get dominated by other teams' top lines and wondering why we aren't trying to shut them down instead. Still, as I said, that might be a faulty impression. I haven't been tracking matchups as closely this season.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:10 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
I had no illusions about Pahlsson, and until Plucky mentioned it recently, I'd even forgotten his contract--which I'd never "blame" him for anyway. When we got him, it was frequently said that he'd be a step down offensively from Malhotra, and a step up defensively. I'd say that's probably true to this point. I would like to see him having a bit more impact in the offensive zone; but, again, I'm not really down on the guy.

It's been my impression--and I don't have anything but impressions to back this up--that he hasn't been used in the shutdown role a great deal this season. That might just be because I'm thinking of road games where it's harder to match the lines up appropriately, but I keep seeing our top line get dominated by other teams' top lines and wondering why we aren't trying to shut them down instead. Still, as I said, that might be a faulty impression. I haven't been tracking matchups as closely this season.
I think that has only been true on the road, where, as you point out, our opponent can dictate matchups.

Old
11-30-2009, 08:44 AM
BluejacketNut

Pahlsson's benefits are in the playoffs as the shut down center in tight close games. During the long regular season, he's really no different then Manny,well, except the price tag of course.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Pahlsson's benefits are in the playoffs as the shut down center in tight close games.
This is what I've been hoping.

Old
11-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Doug19

I don't care for him because the coach plays him to much when we need to be scoring goals. The last person I want to see out there in a 4 on 4 overtime is one of our worst offensive players.

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:54 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
I don't care for him because the coach plays him to much when we need to be scoring goals. The last person I want to see out there in a 4 on 4 overtime is one of our worst offensive players.
Isn't that more of a Hitch problem?

Old
12-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
Personally if this is the Pahlsson we will always see I was fine with Manny.
Yep, 30 games into the season, Manny is the better player. Both are centering shutdown lines. Manny is +6 with 6 goals/5 assists, Sammy on the other hand -1 1goal/5 assists. Its early, lets hope that changes as the season goes on and the playoffs draw near.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Manny has actually seen a good amount of time on the 2nd line WING this season with the Sharks.

He's not a full time center anymore like he was in Columbus.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Isn't that more of a Hitch problem?
Is it even a problem to begin with?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:00 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Yep, 30 games into the season, Manny is the better player. Both are centering shutdown lines. Manny is +6 with 6 goals/5 assists, Sammy on the other hand -1 1goal/5 assists. Its early, lets hope that changes as the season goes on and the playoffs draw near.
Define better. I guess it's based on points, from you post. And Manny is right on pace for his standard 30 points.

Manny was never a shut down guy for us. I haven't bothered to watch him over there other then when we played them and he looked the same.

Sammy was better the first 20 games then recently. Then again, our shut down line isn't exactly all that exciting with Chimera on it.

Sammy is a better Pk'er and defensively. Manny chips in more. Not seeing anything different at this point.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:44 PM
FiveHole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Define better. I guess it's based on points, from you post. And Manny is right on pace for his standard 30 points.

Manny was never a shut down guy for us. I haven't bothered to watch him over there other then when we played them and he looked the same.

Sammy was better the first 20 games then recently. Then again, our shut down line isn't exactly all that exciting with Chimera on it.

Sammy is a better Pk'er and defensively. Manny chips in more. Not seeing anything different at this point.
I havn't really seen anything where I was like wow great defensive play by Sammy. Instead soon as he comes on the ice i know for the next ~30-45 seconds we arnt going to score.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:44 PM
section 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Manny has actually seen a good amount of time on the 2nd line WING this season with the Sharks.

He's not a full time center anymore like he was in Columbus.
As strong as he is in the faceoff circle, why would they be doing this?

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote