HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie controversy coming or is it here? or both.

Old
12-12-2009, 02:55 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Goalie controversy coming or is it here? or both.

When the oilers signed Habby I thought it was a graet signing--because I did not think JDD was ready and would not be ready for atleast another year or two.

After the last 5 games obviously(imo) JDD is ready for some legit NHL time even when Habby comes back. But habby is one of those goalies who needs to play to get better and being a 1a 1b set up will hurt HAbby more then JDD---it is a fun situation to be in for fans to have two goalies that can go.

why the three statements?

Remember last year the three headed monster of Roloson, JDD and Garon? Oiler kept JDD due to the fact that he would have to clear wiavers--well guess who in his last year of being waiver exempt? DD.

The question is what to do when HAbby gets back and the roles he plays and JDD plays

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:57 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1365
or neither

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:59 AM
Ghostbuster

vCash: 500
I think you look at moving Khabby. That contract will bite us hard in the ass. Maybe the Kings bite if they're serious about a hard playoff push this season. They don't really have proven goaltending and Khabibulin would be a upgrade in the net. They have the capspace as well.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:09 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

This year... no. We have two goalies who can win us hockey games right now, that is NOTHING but a good thing. Next year and going forward, we have an issue, but not really a controversy. All it means is a decision will have to be made about which young goalie to move forward with. Out of all goaltending circuses we've had here lately, this is my far the one I'm most confident with. The Khabibulin contract hurts, specially when he's not playing, but I don't think it's an issue right now. When he's healthy, you give him 70% of the starts.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:12 AM
Senor Catface

Like Mowzie said, next year could be a problem. DD has to go through waivers, and this team has shown it'll stay with 3 goalies for a long period of time.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Giant Moo

No and no.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:17 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

JDD has been impressive and to me causes atleast a discussion about what happens when Habby is back

Old
12-12-2009, 03:19 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
JDD has been impressive and to me causes atleast a discussion about what happens when Habby is back
There's no discussion. When Khabbi is back, JDD is a backup again.

But in a way, you asking if there's controversy is like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:21 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
There's no discussion. When Khabbi is back, JDD is a backup again.

But in a way, you asking if there's controversy is like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

factor in the 3rd option

is it coming

DD either gets on the roster next year or he to clear waivers to get assigned to the minors

Old
12-12-2009, 04:12 AM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
The only way there is a goalie controversy is if Khabibulin comes back and lays multiple eggs...
and even if he does that.. you keep playing him until he gets his game back

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:22 AM
Dutch Dreams

I think the only controversy will be that if DesLauriers keeps up his play of late an entire season, there will be the question of if his cap hit will healthily combine with Bulin's... Edmonton will most likely trim down on the defensive cap next season so if DesLauriers wants anything less than 2.25 which I believe is a little too reasonable even, for a combined goalie cap hit of 6 million, everything will be great.... Edmonton will have two capable goalies, which seems to be a healthy trend in today's NHL....

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:41 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
When the oilers signed Habby I thought it was a graet signing--because I did not think JDD was ready and would not be ready for atleast another year or two.

After the last 5 games obviously(imo) JDD is ready for some legit NHL time even when Habby comes back. But habby is one of those goalies who needs to play to get better and being a 1a 1b set up will hurt HAbby more then JDD---it is a fun situation to be in for fans to have two goalies that can go.

why the three statements?

Remember last year the three headed monster of Roloson, JDD and Garon? Oiler kept JDD due to the fact that he would have to clear wiavers--well guess who in his last year of being waiver exempt? DD.

The question is what to do when HAbby gets back and the roles he plays and JDD plays
Dubnyk belongs in the minors for another year. He won't be called up next season.

Also I disagree. A 1a 1b situation is perfect for Khabbibulin. It's what drove him to take the starting job in Chicago and in his old age he needs the rest. Besides from what I hear the wall isn't close to coming back anyways.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Hemsky4PM

Next summer there will probably be a discussion. Maybe a team will be without a tender after free agency and have interest in the Wall. This season it's clearly going to be the 2 goalie system.

If anything, they know they can go with a 50-50 split or play the hot hand. Khabby won't be back for a long time anyway. JDD is showing that he is at least an average NHL netminder. Not spectacular, but certainly adequate and hopefully he'll only get better.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Fluffy Nuts

A 1a 1b situation worked out well for Khabibulin last year in Chicago. He and Huet were a great tandem that allowed for them to get the rest both of them needed while still playing plenty of games. I feel it would be a great situation for both of the goaltender since it increases the playtime that JDD has to get him a lot more comfortable playing and able to get over a bad game while Khabibulin gets the needed breaks to rest himself and to also mentor JDD for when he's going to be a starter.

Fluffy Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:49 AM
PrinceEdwardOiler

Khabbi gets injured every year, and he knows that with JDD playing well he is not rushed to come back. He said he only wants so many games anyway(can't remember the number he gave).
Don't count on him coming back until JDD craps the bed...

PrinceEdwardOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Oilerfan120582

No controversy at all. Khabby is still the better goalie and should play the majority of the games, but JDD has shown that he can handle regular playing time, which is perfect because Khabby needs the rest.

Oilerfan120582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
JDD plays the game on his knees. The opposition is on to him and they are shooting the lights out of the top of the net. He is a nightmare handling the puck as well. Khabibulin is a much, much better goalie and I hope he comes back ASAP.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Dubnyk belongs in the minors for another year. He won't be called up next season.

Also I disagree. A 1a 1b situation is perfect for Khabbibulin. It's what drove him to take the starting job in Chicago and in his old age he needs the rest. Besides from what I hear the wall isn't close to coming back anyways.
It's not that simple. I believe in order to assign DD to the AHL after training camp next year, they would be required to place him on waivers first. Hence they could lose him before the season even starts.

At least that's my understanding.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:35 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post

I disagree with the OP as well. A 1a/1b situation in Chicago led Khabibulin to play some of his most inspired and best hockey of his life. If JDD can play the role of Huet....that is exciting, exciting news for this hockey team!

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
JDD plays the game on his knees. The opposition is on to him and they are shooting the lights out of the top of the net. He is a nightmare handling the puck as well. Khabibulin is a much, much better goalie and I hope he comes back ASAP.
True, however he's still run off 5 straight wins. And yeah he is brutal at handling the puck, BUT he is cheap and effective. If it is so easy to get high goals on JDD don't you think that his save % would be really low? Fact of the matter is that JDD is usually great or REALLY BAD, as long as he is great much more often than the other we're in good hands. And I doubt that we let Dubnyk walk for nothing. We could carry 3 goalies next year or look to move Khabibulin at the deadline this year.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
It's not that simple. I believe in order to assign DD to the AHL after training camp next year, they would be required to place him on waivers first. Hence they could lose him before the season even starts.

At least that's my understanding.
Exactly and he is one of our best prospects on the farm, they won't let him get claimed for nothing, no way in hell do I see that happening.

Old
12-12-2009, 11:46 AM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Agreed, although I think that JDD has been ok, there should be no doubt who the better goalie is. JDD hasn't even played a high pressure big game yet and we are talking about dropping one of the best goalies in the nhl. we all know what habby can do in the playoffs as well.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:49 AM
jeetz

It isn't a controversy but rather the ideal situation. Remember Khabi is 2 years younger than Roli. We have prob 2 more good years left in Khabi. Khabi has experience, a SC ring and was awesome before the injury.

What the Oilers needed is a capable 1B goalie who can play well in 35 games this year and next working to 45-50 games by year 4 of Khabi's contract and we seem to have found that in JDD. We have insurance in Dubnyk.

My thoughts on Dubnyk is that no team will pick him up on waivers next year if they do not know how he plays at the NHL level because that team would have to be committed to play him in the NHL. Oilers can sign him to a 2 way next year otherwise. So Dubnyk wont likely see any NHL ice time this year if the Oilers can help it.

jeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetz View Post
It isn't a controversy but rather the ideal situation. Remember Khabi is 2 years younger than Roli. We have prob 2 more good years left in Khabi. Khabi has experience, a SC ring and was awesome before the injury.

What the Oilers needed is a capable 1B goalie who can play well in 35 games this year and next working to 45-50 games by year 4 of Khabi's contract and we seem to have found that in JDD. We have insurance in Dubnyk.

My thoughts on Dubnyk is that no team will pick him up on waivers next year if they do not know how he plays at the NHL level because that team would have to be committed to play him in the NHL. Oilers can sign him to a 2 way next year otherwise. So Dubnyk wont likely see any NHL ice time this year if the Oilers can help it.
I disagree on Dubnyk not getting claimed. The Oilers were deathly afraid that JDD would get claimed, I'm sure they'd be the same about Dubnyk.

Old
12-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetz View Post
I think it'd be a much better idea to sign DD to a one-way. Having to pay an NHL salary to a goalie in the minors will scare away a large share of GMs and owners.

I kinda hoped we'd see DD get a game soon, but I have an inkling that we won't see him till the Leafs/Flames back-to-back at the end of the month... I hope.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote