HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Goalie controversy coming or is it here? or both.

Old
12-12-2009, 12:04 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
True, however he's still run off 5 straight wins. And yeah he is brutal at handling the puck, BUT he is cheap and effective. If it is so easy to get high goals on JDD don't you think that his save % would be really low? Fact of the matter is that JDD is usually great or REALLY BAD, as long as he is great much more often than the other we're in good hands. And I doubt that we let Dubnyk walk for nothing. We could carry 3 goalies next year or look to move Khabibulin at the deadline this year.
Are you suggesting that we try to move Khabibulin in the off-season and roll with a JDD-DD tandem next season?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:40 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
One of JDD or DD will be moved by the beginning of next season. My personal opinion is that it'll be DD and he'll go to someplace like Philly where he'd have more potential then anyone in the system. Khabby is going nowhere unless he starts crapping the bed when he gets back.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:48 PM
voxel

vCash: 500
Meh.

You give DD a poison-pill like contract. 2 year, $1M/yr, one-way.

No team is going to claim an unproven goalie with that contract and keep them in the NHL. If DD gets sent back down, we grab him back.

Personally, I wouldn't mind trading DD for a younger goalie prospect or a high(-ish) pick.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
1a 1b is exactly what drove Khabi to be better.

He said it himself when he said Huet getting hired for Chicago was a huge wake up call for him. It's that competition from within that drives winning organizations.

I can also think of no better teacher for JDD than Khabi. They're both comatose-level cool in net so it leads me to believe they have similar mentalities. If that's the case, it'd be easier for Khabi to teach JDD what he knows than someone like Roloson.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
It's not that simple. I believe in order to assign DD to the AHL after training camp next year, they would be required to place him on waivers first. Hence they could lose him before the season even starts.

At least that's my understanding.
Then is it possible that they don't bring him to training camp? I don't know I'm not seriously suggesting that, but then how did Jimmy Howard pass through waivers last year?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Are you suggesting that we try to move Khabibulin in the off-season and roll with a JDD-DD tandem next season?
IF JDD consistently shows that he's ready, then yes. We shed salary and we roll with 2 solid young goaltenders. Yes Khabibulin is the best of the 3, but we aren't going to be cup contenders this year or next anyway, so this maybe the best way for us to move forward.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
IF JDD consistently shows that he's ready, then yes. We shed salary and we roll with 2 solid young goaltenders. Yes Khabibulin is the best of the 3, but we aren't going to be cup contenders this year or next anyway, so this maybe the best way for us to move forward.
Next year we may surprise with an infusion of cheap ELC ala Eberle and MSP and getting a 1st liner in Hemsky back. We should atleast make it to the dance next season, and then from there anything can happen.

We gotta shed salary though.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Next year we may surprise with an infusion of cheap ELC ala Eberle and MSP and getting a 1st liner in Hemsky back. We should atleast make it to the dance next season, and then from there anything can happen.

We gotta shed salary though.
We really need to stay away from overpaying Cogs this offseason and make sure that we lock up Stone, Jacques, Brule, and Gagner to respectable deals. Salary needs to be shed sometime though that's for sure.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:49 PM
otto84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
1a 1b is exactly what drove Khabi to be better.

He said it himself when he said Huet getting hired for Chicago was a huge wake up call for him. It's that competition from within that drives winning organizations.

I can also think of no better teacher for JDD than Khabi. They're both comatose-level cool in net so it leads me to believe they have similar mentalities. If that's the case, it'd be easier for Khabi to teach JDD what he knows than someone like Roloson.
How to get injured?

I kid, I kid.

But, actually, I've been surprised at Deslauriers' fire this season. He's already roughed up a few guys in front of the net (I like seeing him defend his crease) and he seems to be like Roli where if the team goal down a few goals early, he gets mad and plays pretty bad-a** the rest of the way.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Sounds like Khabi's coming back. Dubnyk's back in Springfield according to the Oilers Twitter.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:22 PM
badberry

Seriously? People want to roll with JDD\DD? God help us.

JDD has won a few games, sure - that does not make him a legit starter. And DD has never played a game! He is still a question mark as well.

The organization was so afraid someone would claim JDD they crippled the team last year. I'm convinced no one would have, and I feel the same about DD. Unspectacular AHL numbers, and no NHL experience isn't exactly tempting to GM's who all have their own goaltending prospects. Not to mention there is a glut of goalies out there...

I would be ok with moving Khabi, if we could sign a reliable veteran in goal at less price\term. But rolling with 2 rooks is suicide...unbelievable people think that is a good idea.

Last edited by badberry: 12-12-2009 at 02:42 PM.
badberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Sounds like Khabi's coming back. Dubnyk's back in Springfield according to the Oilers Twitter.
Probably a conditioning stint, the oilers don't have a game for a while. Last I heard Khabibulin is not even close.

Tambellini is supposedly looking to add a goalie to the Falcons roster as a fill in.

Old
12-12-2009, 02:27 PM
CupofOil

I'm very happy with the 5 game winning streak but there's a lot of knee jerk reactions going on which is expected around here both good and bad.... I've seen a "Penner for Captain" thread and now this one which are completely based on what have you done for me lately kind of stuff..... Bottom line is that Khabibulin will be the starter when he comes back unquestionably. Keep in mind, that Khabby played for the most part in front of an injury and flu ridden team and JDD's playing in front of a realtively healthy team which is playing much better in front of him than the team was playing in front of Khabby so what i'm trying to say is that Khabibulin gives us the best chance to win and i believe that the coaching staff knows that too.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Yeah I really think another year in the AHL would do Dubnyk good. Wouldn't October 1st be the deadline for waivers? Pre-season ends before then doesn't it? They really need to find a way to get him in the AHL for 1 more year imo.

Old
12-12-2009, 03:01 PM
otto84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Stauffer was saying during the game last night that they''l probably just let JDD go down to help the Falcons out since the Oilers are off for three days. Nothing about 'Bulin, he's still milking it

Old
12-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
There's nothing to see here.

Khabibulin is a cool veteran Stanley Cup winning tender. He has been great for us all year long.

JDD has filled in extremely well but you don't usurp a potential hall of famer still playing in his prime by playing well for a small stretch of the season.

When Khabibulin comes back he will retain his rightful position as #1 on this team. Hilarious that we are even having this conversation. You guys should have a look at the Vancouver PGT from the beginning of this roadtrip. We were waiving JDD, playing Dubnyk and getting Biron from the Isles

There is a definite silver lining to the Khabibulin injury:

1> He probably won't play in the Olympics, so we don't risk further injury, or fatigue from him playing for Russia.

2> He will, just by lack of games played this year be fresher for the playoffs, when guys like Kipprusoff will be dead tired (again)

3> Quinney now trusts JDD to start games so we can further rest Khabby throughout the season, which means more quality starts for him and again a more well rested starter for the playoffs.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto84 View Post
Stauffer was saying during the game last night that they''l probably just let JDD go down to help the Falcons out since the Oilers are off for three days. Nothing about 'Bulin, he's still milking it
Wow, some of the most moronic things come out of Stauffers mouth sometimes. Comparing Pitkanen to Shaquille O'neal(when talking about taking the regular season off and then turning it on in the playoffs), saying we can't have 3 points for a regulation win because it affects the record books and then admitting the shootout already did that 2 seconds later.

BTW I feel like JDD would get a lot more love if he was a western canadian. And that is just the way I feel. If Dubnyk was playign the way Deslauriers was people would be throwing the words "franchise goalie" left and right. I'm not even french canadian. I really like Deslauriers because on one sportsnet broadcast late last year Kevin Quinn was talking about how Deslauriers wrote a paper when he was a kid about how he wanted to play for the oilers when he grew up. Ever since then I've been a big fan.

Old
12-12-2009, 03:18 PM
pand75

Per mirtle

Oilers recall goaltender Bryan Pitton from Springfield (AHL). Dubnyk goes down

pand75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
JDD needs a lot of work on his game and I havent really seen DD at this level yet (nobody has). To go forward with that tandem is how you say? Questionable.

Old
12-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Wow, some of the most moronic things come out of Stauffers mouth sometimes. Comparing Pitkanen to Shaquille O'neal(when talking about taking the regular season off and then turning it on in the playoffs), saying we can't have 3 points for a regulation win because it affects the record books and then admitting the shootout already did that 2 seconds later.

BTW I feel like JDD would get a lot more love if he was a western canadian. And that is just the way I feel. If Dubnyk was playign the way Deslauriers was people would be throwing the words "franchise goalie" left and right. I'm not even french canadian. I really like Deslauriers because on one sportsnet broadcast late last year Kevin Quinn was talking about how Deslauriers wrote a paper when he was a kid about how he wanted to play for the oilers when he grew up. Ever since then I've been a big fan.

Old
12-12-2009, 03:43 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
We really need to stay away from overpaying Cogs this offseason and make sure that we lock up Stone, Jacques, Brule, and Gagner to respectable deals. Salary needs to be shed sometime though that's for sure.

The Oilers don't have to dump Habibulin to re-sign Gagner, Brule, JFJ, and Stone (should all be signed) and they won't.

Gilbert or Grebeshkov will be moved before Habibulin.
Smid is ready for a top 4 role. Likely Chorney or Peckham takes a spot on the bottom pairing.

That's 3M right there that should give you enough money to re-sign Gagner.

Stone and JFJ are useful young players, but they will not be breaking the bank because of their poor offensive stats . My guess is a slight raise to both, one way contracts in the neighborhood of 700k.

Brule is an interesting case. But as several posters pointed out, his agent most likely will be looking for a short term deal. Probably one year similar to what Grebeshkov signed two years ago.

Pisani's being of the books takes care of that.

Cogliano will probably be traded.

I think O'Sullivan's time with the organization is running out too, especially if Nilsson continues to play well.

The year after, Moreau, Staios and Nilsson come off the books freeing almost 7M in cap space.

The cap situation is far from ideal, but it's not critical--some guys finally living up to their contracts (Penner), others soon coming of the books (Pisani, Moreau, Staios, Nilsson), Tambellini should have flexibility in re-structuring this team's salary structure.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:

The poster just said the wrong name. He meant to type Dubnyk not JDD.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:19 PM
otto84

Quote:

Regarding the first part, I need to correct my last post, I meant DD not JDD. I'm making Stauffer look bad.

On JDD, I agree. I've been really impressed with his attitude, even looking back on last year after the blowout to Buffalo, the guy handles himself so well.

Found this article today written about him when he was with the QMJHL:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...eslauriers.htm

Old
12-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Bouch1337

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetz View Post
It isn't a controversy but rather the ideal situation. Remember Khabi is 2 years younger than Roli. We have prob 2 more good years left in Khabi. Khabi has experience, a SC ring and was awesome before the injury.

What the Oilers needed is a capable 1B goalie who can play well in 35 games this year and next working to 45-50 games by year 4 of Khabi's contract and we seem to have found that in JDD. We have insurance in Dubnyk.

My thoughts on Dubnyk is that no team will pick him up on waivers next year if they do not know how he plays at the NHL level because that team would have to be committed to play him in the NHL. Oilers can sign him to a 2 way next year otherwise. So Dubnyk wont likely see any NHL ice time this year if the Oilers can help it.
I agree with the analysis. Not the thoughts on Dubynk However.

What we have is a capable back up who is able to step up when we need him, ala now, as well as a guy we can throw in when Khabi is tired, on a cold snap ect. Keep playing him 35 games the next 2-3 years maybe up him a few games but keep him gaining confidence seeing time until he is ready.

By no means am i ready to rest all my hopes on JDD as of yet, no need to rush him while we have khabi

Bouch1337 is offline   Reply With Quote