HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks @ Coyotes (12/12/09)

Old
12-12-2009, 10:36 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Good game --shame about the shutout.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:36 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Bryz basically stole another. The Sharks were doing a great job of getting big time pressure in all of the third.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:15 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Bryz basically stole another. The Sharks were doing a great job of getting big time pressure in all of the third.
I don't think many shots got through at all. I only got to watch the first 2 periods before marching off to the gym, but nobody was getting the puck on net for the Sharks. That has a lot to do with the one we call Z, as well as just some sound positioning on the part of the entire group. They're playing cohesively. First time I've seen that in around a decade from this team. It's amazing.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

vCash: 50
Just looking over at the GDT at the Sharks section unbelievable! I feel bad for those fans that have class overthere and who attended the game tonight.
So bitter that at least one of them is threatening to blow up our arena and Kill of the Coyotes fans is Boyle is injured.

What's wrong with people? Its a game! I understand they want the cup but still the Sharks have accomplished more then what the Yotes have in their history.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:02 AM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Just looking over at the GDT at the Sharks section unbelievable! I feel bad for those fans that have class overthere and who attended the game tonight.
So bitter that at least one of them is threatening to blow up our arena and Kill of the Coyotes fans is Boyle is injured.

What's wrong with people? Its a game! I understand they want the cup but still the Sharks have accomplished more then what the Yotes have in their history.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well the most classless people in that thread weren't from SJ IIRC and are just bandwagoners. The people that are in SJ that try to slime the Coyotes seem to be attempting to get their "southern team" status removed by pretending that they aren't a sunbelt team too.

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

A few notes on tonight's game:

- Not a sellout, but the crowd was loud and into the game.
- Winnik really impresses me. He is great on the pk and forecheck.
- Yandle has really grown this year. He seems to be a leader and could be captain some day.
- Anyone notice Tippett is rolling pretty much the same 4 lines? That type of behavior is unheard of in these parts.

This team plays solid defense and Bryz has stepped it up. If GMDM is able to add a scorer or two to this lineup, we could actually do well in the playoffs.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
- Anyone notice Tippett is rolling pretty much the same 4 lines? That type of behavior is unheard of in these parts.
The thing I noticed is that he's rolling them on to the PP as well.

Old
12-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Aw come on, are you gonna call the cops to arrest me like the kid who threatened Ovechkin?
My mancrush on Boyle has no limits.

And to be clear, I was just going to blow up the arena, not necessarily when Coyotes fans are in attendance.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:45 AM
yakko

It was a decent game by the Coyotes, but not good. For a team with all that speed, it is amazing how they like to play down a level, skating wise, against tired teams. They should be out there really making the Sharks (and Kings for that matter) chase them and tire them out. That did that a little bit which resulted in some penalties when the Sharks got caught flat footed, but clearly not enough to actually tired out the Sharks. The Sharks had more energy late in the third period than the Coyotes did, even accounting for the fact that the Coyotes went into a complete, conservative, defensive shell in the third.

It was a decent game because for as sloppy as they were in some areas, they still stuck to the system in the neutral zone which makes life difficult for other teams. The Sharks announcers were commenting on how bad the Sharks looked in the neutral zone and it is the Coyotes system that does that to teams.

I still think Randy Hahn is a complete ass and a bitter, bitter man. 8 or 10 years ago he was a really good play by play guy, but he has slowly gotten more bitter, weird and pathetic every year since. No Randy, the NHL and all of the refs are not out to get the Sharks like you seem to complain about every game.

Hahn still usually does his homework, at least knows who players are and calls the game well enough between his pathetic, biased rants. Tonight he was having issues. He seemed convinced that Hanzal was Vrbata all night. He also couldn't seem to figure out that Korpikoski is not named Kopikorski or Topikoski even after Drew said his name correctly (or at least as well as I can say it) a few times.

The Coyotes were miserable at getting the puck over their blue line tonight and Shane Doan was the worst offender. The Sharks basically got free, extra possessions in the offensive zone because Coyotes players either tried to get cute or just turned plain stupid right at the blue line, including hitting another Coyotes player in the back of the skate trying to get the puck out or just handing it to the Sharks. It's okay to chip the puck up the boards when you are under pressure and can't find a passing play. I imagine if the Sharks were on top of their game and Bryzgalov wasn't standing on his head, that would have been the story of the game accounting for why the Coyotes lost, but instead they got away with sloppy play on breakouts won anyway.

Yandle got hemmed in a little bit. It looked like the Sharks have been paying attention to their scouting reports on Yandle and focused on preventing him from taking over the game. They didn't try to chase him around the net and played smart forcing Yandle to make passes up ice instead of taking it end to end. I know he played pretty well. That's the impressive thing about Yandle this season, even sub par games from him look pretty damn good.

Mueller is still playing in the tough parts of the ice and fighting for pucks. I think he is still a bit tentative trying to make the sort of one on one moves that reminded me of Kovalev his rookie season, but hopefully that will come as he gets more comfortable playing the way the coaches finally have him playing. That short side shot just missed going through a spot over Greiss' shoulder that wasn't much bigger than the puck. So much talent, and now effort, the points have to come soon... right?

Doan is getting frustrated. He needs to settle down and not squeeze his stick so tight. Every year when he gets off to a slow start it is usually because he is trying to play too much of a finesse game. The points don't start coming for him until he starts over, plays a simple, grinder style game and uses his hands and his shot when the opening is there. This year it seems like instead of taking a chance to reset his game he is instead making things worse trying to force plays. I hope he can settle down and get back into playing his game because when he does, he is a beast. Especially now that Mueller is playing much harder, I'd love to see Doan, Hanzal and Mueller on a line but now it would be to get Doan going.

Winnik looked so good, but that PK work he did was just amazing. Doan needs to start playing more like Winnik. I'm shocked to even type this, but Doan needs to start playing more like Winnik.

I know that the Winnik-Fiddler line is Tippett's favorite shutdown unit regardless of their line mate, but it was just a little bit disappointing to miss out on seeing Thornton lose his mind trying to battle with Hanzal. Winnik and Fiddler do a fine job, but watching Hanzal play against Thornton is a treat.

Hanzal seems to play his best defensive games playing against Thornton. He is not only able to stay with Thornton. Hanzal is often able to make defensive plays on the puck against Thornton that I don't think Joe's used to having to play against. Joe likes to protect the puck with his body and use his vision and reach to make plays and he is usually able to do that with remarkable comfort and ease because no one can make a play on the puck, except Hanzal who has the size, reach and quickness to break Thornton's plays up. Hanzal does all that, and manages to play physical and get in Joe's face which seems to eventually take Thornton completely off of his game. It's a pleasure to watch when it happens. I hope we get to see it again some time this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
And to be clear, I was just going to blow up the arena, not necessarily when Coyotes fans are in attendance.
You should know that there are doctors, medications and support programs for people that have thoughts like that. You should get help.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:46 AM
yakko

Damn. I wrote a book and I'm not even drunk.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:29 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyregretzky View Post
Well the most classless people in that thread weren't from SJ IIRC and are just bandwagoners. The people that are in SJ that try to slime the Coyotes seem to be attempting to get their "southern team" status removed by pretending that they aren't a sunbelt team too.
I imagine you have me in mind. I've loved the Sharks since I was a toddler, and for as long as I can remember, even though I'm from Toronto. I have no idea how it started.

Not really into commenting or arguing on the other team's GDT, just wanted to make a clarification of an unambiguous fact. I will leave my hooliganism and irrational overzealousness on the Sharks GDT for those who choose to go out of their way.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:37 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
A few notes on tonight's game:

- Not a sellout, but the crowd was loud and into the game.
- Winnik really impresses me. He is great on the pk and forecheck.
- Yandle has really grown this year. He seems to be a leader and could be captain some day.

This team plays solid defense and Bryz has stepped it up. If GMDM is able to add a scorer or two to this lineup, we could actually do well in the playoffs.
Great assessment. Could not agree more. Add one scorer to this team -- someone established, who doesn't miss open nets, and doesn't go into prolonged slumps -- and I think it spreads like wildfire.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:43 AM
Kazamagirl

The game was fun to be at. I'm still stoked my Chuck Norris sign was a hit. Doan grinned from ear to ear when he saw it during practice. When I held it up in the 3rd period and it was shown on the screen Upshall raced over to the bench pointing at it making the other Coyotes look haha.

Very exciting game though.

Things I did not like:
1. 1 Stupid drunk Coyotes fan in front of me
2. 1 stupid drunk Sharks fan behind me
3. The amount of vulgar things that flow from their mouths.

I hate ANY fans without class. Whether they're fellow fans of the Coyotes or not.

Other Misc team stuff:
- Can't wait to have Jovo back from being suspended, He's always a force on the ice.
- I hope Doan finds his happy place and get's into scoring,he's such a classy guy, very nice too. We need to see angry Doan more though. Maybe I should make a different angry Doan sign. My other two just make him laugh...
- Fiddler has bumped himself up to badass status lately.
- Pyatt is just on fire. Extremely impressed.
- Bryz is my hero, he means business.

Kazamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 04:19 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Let's just hope we can use this more often:

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 06:38 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Some pretty cool stats here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...pe=team_report

Phoenix are 10-3-2 in the fifteen one-goal games they have been involved in.

Phoenix are 19 days ahead of last year's pace.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:42 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

I was at the game last night and thought that we looked great, yet again.

-I don't know if it was just being there in person or what, but we looked a little flat in the first period. Missed opportunities, bad passes, turnovers, you name it. The second and third periods looked much, much improved.

-The crowd was decent for a Sharks game IMO. The upper bowl was nearly full, the box seats were nearly full, and the lower bowl had a respectable showing, save for a few sections. It was a lively and hockey knowledgeable crowd, if that makes sense. They booed at the bad penalties, called for penalties at obvious trips/holds, and knew when a scoring chances was forming or presenting itself. Very enjoyable.

-I've been a Winnik critic for the last few seasons, but after seeing him play live and in person at a few games this year, he has really impressed me. I take back everything I said about him. He does all the little things right and he needs to stay on this team for a long time.

-Yandle, like others have mentioned, is looking like a future star. Great vision and ability to read the play before it happens.

-Bryz is a damn wall out there.

-You can tell everyone has bought into the system. On the PP (which was a downside last night) everyone was looking for a passing lane, a way to get open, and following a set play to an absolute "T." I think once it clicks, we are going to be a great PP team.

-Mueller has found a shred of confidence somewhere and I hope he continues to improve. You can see the brilliance and talent in him out there. All we really need is that one player to take it up a notch and it will be lights out. Mueller can be that player.

Overall, it was a great game and great experience. Attendance is beginning to pick up a little bit and that's wonderful news. Hopefully with a new owner, we can start to get more advertising and spread the word of how good this team really is. Go Coyotes!

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Mueller is still playing in the tough parts of the ice and fighting for pucks. I think he is still a bit tentative trying to make the sort of one on one moves that reminded me of Kovalev his rookie season, but hopefully that will come as he gets more comfortable playing the way the coaches finally have him playing. That short side shot just missed going through a spot over Greiss' shoulder that wasn't much bigger than the puck. So much talent, and now effort, the points have to come soon... right?
Yep.
Quote:
Doan is getting frustrated. He needs to settle down and not squeeze his stick so tight.
Yep.
Quote:
...watching Hanzal play against Thornton is a treat.
Yep.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:56 PM
hbk

Brzy carried us in the third more than I would like but that was a textbook example of a system beating talent.

First two periods the Sharks couldn't deal with our defensive scheme and had little in terms of sustained pressure and good scoring chances. Bryzgalov was there to make the save when they did manage to find a shooting lane.

Very good game for Phoenix. 9 points out of 10 thus far in December.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-L-L-L-L-W

Last night was one of my 11-game pack, and if the hockey keeps being this entertaining, I may go to a few more off the plan. I will say that I have been in the "stadium's too far away" camp since the beginning, but the Saturday drive from Tempe has become a pretty easy 35 minutes.

It's good to see Winnik getting some love on this board. There's nobody who does PK and puck possession in the offensive zone as well as him and Fiddler. That PK effort in the third period drew a bigger roar from the crowd than either of our goals. I know I was on my feet.

We should have been up 4-0 after two but for the missed, open chances again. That is getting frustrating to see, although it's a lot better than previous seasons, where we were getting outplayed for long stretches.

In the first two periods, we did a great job shutting down the Thornton line. Then it started to click in the third, especially after the Heatley goal. Maybe with the Bryzgalov of last season, we'd be discussing a loss here. There was some major traffic and deflected pucks.

The hit by Pyatt on Clowe in the last seconds was clean. He just went into the board at a bad angle.

I had my wife and friend estimate the percent of capacity, and they ranged from one-quarter to my generous one-third. Anybody who says that place was half full is incapable of making an unbiased estimate. Since this season's crowds have been whittled down to the more hard core fans, they seem to know what's going on better than past seasons. Not exactly like going to a game in Montreal, but less idiots screaming "shoot!" when the shot is not open.

I'll go out on a limb, and predict that the crowds will remain this small for the remainder of the season irrespective of a good finish. We just need a playoff run, and the fans will return in force. I can't believe that all this winning has only elevated us to sixth place in the conference.

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:29 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post
I had my wife and friend estimate the percent of capacity, and they ranged from one-quarter to my generous one-third. Anybody who says that place was half full is incapable of making an unbiased estimate.
I'd take major issue with that sentiment. Upstairs from net to net, on both sides, virtually full. Upstairs ends in Coyotes two-attack 1/2 full. Sandstorm sections 120, 121, 102, 103, 109, 110, 113, 114 70% full.

Ends 104-108 1/3 to 1/2 full.

Center Ice sections 122, 101, 111, 112, and opponents two-attack upstairs and downstairs are the only truly very light sections.

Easily 9,000 last night. Capacity is 17,500. And I'm more than capable of making an unbiased estimate.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:36 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
I'd take major issue with that sentiment. Upstairs from net to net, on both sides, virtually full. Upstairs ends in Coyotes two-attack 1/2 full. Sandstorm sections 120, 121, 102, 103, 109, 110, 113, 114 70% full.

Center Ice sections 122, 101, 111, 112, and opponents two-attack upstairs and downstairs are the only truly very light sections.

Easily 9,000 last night. Capacity is 17,500. And I'm more than capable of making an unbiased estimate.
Good eye

It was 10,650 according to NHL.com

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:41 PM
SR

Solid win last night, we need to keep this going.

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:34 PM
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post
I can't believe that all this winning has only elevated us to sixth place in the conference.
I think a lot of the other teams had games in hand. Now after all the winning, most of them have played as many games and we have an actual points lead over them.

lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 04:08 PM
CoyoteSunDevil

Sick & Tired of "OT losses"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
I think a lot of the other teams had games in hand. Now after all the winning, most of them have played as many games and we have an actual points lead over them.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...92010&type=CON

We have two games in hand of the teams that matter, both in our division and ahead of us in the standings: Avs, Kings, and Sharks.

The Western Conference is insane, I can't see one team that is a pushover on any given night. The only team under .500 is the Quacks (at 12-13-7), which leads me to my next beef....

Anyone tired of seeing these OT losses? Dallas is sitting in the final spot, with 10 OT losses! Truth be told they are 14-18 and ONLY 2 POINTS behind us. Utterly ridiculous. And going to the game here in LA, I could see us scrambling to tie it up, and once we did, we backed off and didn't mustard up much else in regards to scoring opportunities until OT.

Coaches know what they are doing, so I can't blame anyone for backing off to get at least one point. But IMO it's completely out of hand, and to have the Stars only 2 points behind us and sitting at "14-18" is terrible. I would be more of a fan awarding a 1/2 point instead, then teams would likely play out the third period like they want to win.

Edit: Meant that we have played 32 and the list above has played 34 games.

CoyoteSunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-L-L-L-L-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post

I have the highest respect for your contributions on these boards, but I'll go ahead and make my estimates, which are at odds with yours. I'll need to take pictures at the next game to illustrate. My view is from most of the way up in Section 201.

Upstairs from net to net (I was in one of the fullest of those sections) 75% full, ends in Coyotes two-attack (205-211) 25% full (half of each of these sections were less than 5% full), Sandstorm sections 50% full.

Ends 104-108, 25% full would be generous.

Then there are the remaining sections that you acknowledge were light.

I would love it if we could half-fill the building, but I'm going with 6000 as my estimate. Obviously, this is not worth fellow fans fighting about, but I can't help it: I'm a career engineer who spends way too much time doing analysis work. When I see a systematic bias, I can't just let it go.

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote