HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halák

Old
12-15-2009, 04:14 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

vCash: 500
Halák

Steve Mason plays bad, Garon`s achievments are similar. What do you think did should we try to get Halák?

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 05:34 AM
jore

No.

Getting a new goalie wouldn't help the problems with the tactics & effort of 18 other players & coaching staff.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:39 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jore View Post
No.

Getting a new goalie wouldn't help the problems with the tactics & effort of 18 other players & coaching staff.
Sorry, but Steves stats are terrible and I think it must be all changes. Not only couch.

Old
12-15-2009, 07:40 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jore View Post
No.

Sorry, but Steves stats are terrible and I think it must be all changes. Not only couch. Steve is a very good goalkeeper but this year is not his year.

Old
12-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i said to a buddy that if we want to shake up the place, send mason to philly for jeff carter, then sign fernandez and figure out the goalie situation next year...go with Garon and Fernandez for the rest of the year....but that will add 4m to the team and OMG if we add a $ or two...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:34 AM
frito

Two words, Carey Price.

And for those of you who may need clarification, look at him last year and now this year. We do not need to replace Mason, maybe play Garon a little more so he keeps his edge.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:45 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Two words, Carey Price.

And for those of you who may need clarification, look at him last year and now this year. We do not need to replace Mason, maybe play Garon a little more so he keeps his edge.
Bingo!

Make Mason compete for time with Garon. Why is it that Hitchcock is willing to move Brassard to the fourth line, but scared to death to sit Mason for an extra game now and then?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:21 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I do not want trade Steve I would want so that our goalgeepers were Mason with Halák.

Old
12-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Pata93

Mason needs a veteran backup, not another young goalie who is trying to become a #1 goalkeeper.

However, I think we could use one of Montreal's defenseman.

With the upcoming return of Markov, the Canadien might be willing to move Roman Hamrlik. They need a top-6 foward.

Huselius for Hamrlik.

Pata93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:35 AM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Sorry, but Steves stats are terrible and I think it must be all changes. Not only couch.
I think virtually all of Mason's problems are due to the defense in front of him. He was having problems with rebound control earlier in the year, but over the course of the past few games, that's gotten much better and I think he may have worked that out. Other things I've noticed are:

1. He's coming out too far to challenge, even when play is reasonably close to the net. I think this has to do with the fact that he feels he can't rely on the D in front of him to harass incoming players, so he comes out in an attempt to stuff angles and possibly poke check, etc the puck-possessing player.

2. Once he gives up a rebound, the fact that he's come out so far means he's often out of position to defend and odd-angle shot on the rebound. That's partially his fault for being so far out of net, but it's the defense's responsibility to gather the rebound and turn up ice, or at least punch it into a corner and out of immediate danger.

I think these are the two reasons that behind-the-net is giving us such a problem. What seems to happen is that play goes back behind him and he moves to cover one side of the net or the other, but he covers it so tightly - almost the extent that he's not in the frame of the net but is actually sort of corner to the net and looking back - when the puck squirts up front, he has almost no chance to slide and cover because he's left so much open.

If he could trust the D to keep the puck in check and give him support, I think he'd be OK.

I wouldn't trade him at this point for anything he's likely to command in return. Unless he gets us a true first line proven NHL center or a true two way defenseman, the return is too low. You can't deal away a player just because of one bad season, especially when his poor play is likely to be a result of poor play around him.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

The sooner everyone accepts last year was an abhoration for Mason's pro career, the better off we will all be...

This guy isn't the next Roy folks.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Mason has played pretty well the past 3 or 4 games IMO. I think he's starting to pick it up, it's the rest of the team I'm worried about.

EDIT: also, I have not heard any "rumors" about Halak to the Jackets...

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I like Halak, he's a great goalie, but Montreal knows this and they're asking alot for him.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Only if he comes with Ryder and a 2nd

(or is that still a infractionary offense around here)
always makes me laugh that one...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Mason has played pretty well the past 3 or 4 games IMO. I think he's starting to pick it up, it's the rest of the team I'm worried about.

EDIT: also, I have not heard any "rumors" about Halak to the Jackets...
I admit I didn't watch much of the game last night, but I thought he was pretty iffy.

I think he's just slow moving side to side, or something.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I admit I didn't watch much of the game last night, but I thought he was pretty iffy.

I think he's just slow moving side to side, or something.
I thought the only soft goal he gave up was on Sullivan's hatty goal. The rest were all directly related to not being able to clear and leaving him hangin.

Old
12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Monk

Quote:
I thought the only soft goal he gave up was on Sullivan's hatty goal. The rest were all directly related to not being able to clear and leaving him hangin.
Ah, that's one of the few goals I saw.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Doug19

This is laughable. The defense should be canned before Mason. I thought it was obvious that the players in front of him sucked this year...guess not. Bring in some competent defenders and Mason will put up a lot better numbers. Lets not even mention the fact that Mason has been a lot better recently than he was at the start of the season.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:56 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
The first goal was pathetic. Mason was on his knees already as the Preds brought it into the zone. What a shock when the shot went in over his shoulder.

Again, though, I don't think Mason is the biggest problem on this team. Garon hasn't done all that much better. I think the only thing making his stats appear better is that he hasn't been in as many games generally and thus has missed his share of games when the team totally takes the night off.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
The first goal was pathetic. Mason was on his knees already as the Preds brought it into the zone. What a shock when the shot went in over his shoulder.

Again, though, I don't think Mason is the biggest problem on this team. Garon hasn't done all that much better. I think the only thing making his stats appear better is that he hasn't been in as many games generally and thus has missed his share of games when the team totally takes the night off.
you mean the goal where Juice lost the puck trying to skate it out and then Methot wussed out trying to block the shot?

yeah, that was all Mase.

Old
12-15-2009, 03:35 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

No, We don't need anouther goalie

Is it just me or is Mason making all the saves I expect him too now? I mean, I can't fault him to much for the D's giveaways. But he makes the saves I expect him to

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:43 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
But he makes the saves I expect him to
And a few you don't, probably. There was a sequence last night where he stopped a point-blank skate-in-and-shoot opportunity, then another on a rebound THEN ANOTHER.

Back-to-back-to-back unimpeded goal drives by Preds, not a defenseman in sight. By rights, he could have given up either of the last two and it wouldn't have been his fault.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:12 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
you mean the goal where Juice lost the puck trying to skate it out and then Methot wussed out trying to block the shot?

yeah, that was all Mase.
By that standard none of our goals the team's goals are his fault.

Old
12-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
By that standard none of our goals the team's goals are his fault.
compromise: the whole team sucks.