HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

It Is Time: We Need To Get Joe Thornton To Shoot

Old
12-12-2009, 12:06 PM
BBruins7719428

vCash: 500
It Is Time: We Need To Get Joe Thornton To Shoot

We know the power of the hfboards site. Rory Fitzpatrick was almost voted into the NHL all-star game. If possible, do you think we could pressure Joe Thornton into shooting the puck more? Obviously, this idea is nothing new, as I am the 15,000th person to come up with this idea. But what if every time he got the puck along the half boards, looking for a pass, everyone in the crowd yelled, "shoot shoot shoot!" What if t-shirts and posters were made saying, "Don't Forget to Shoot Joe" or "I Dare Joe Thornton to Shoot". Maybe we can make a pledge to donate a $2 every time Joe shoots the puck to a charitable donation of Joe's liking. Horrible and basic ideas, but something like that.

I understand Joe is the best passer in the league and has Dany Heatley and Patrick Marleau on his wing. And I understand Joe is a pass first and shoot second kind of player; his league leading 36 assists can attest for that. But Joe has an unbelievably hard and accurate shot (37 and 36 goals scored in dead puck era), and it is becoming more apparent that he is starting to use it less and less as a threat (10 shots in 8 games), especially on the power play.

Enough is enough. I demand it is time for Joe to change his game, which he has promised and talked about doing since McLellan joined the club. I have seen 99% of the games Joe has played in since 97-98 with the Bruins. His superb one-dimensional game needs to be modified immediately and permanently, and I hope you fans will join me in this battle for change. Because we know Joe can be a more dominant and multi-dimensional player.

BBruins7719428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

I feel I've read this before somewhere..

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:17 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBruins7719428 View Post
We know the power of the hfboards site. Rory Fitzpatrick was almost voted into the NHL all-star game. If possible, do you think we could pressure Joe Thornton into shooting the puck more? Obviously, this idea is nothing new, as I am the 15,000th person to come up with this idea. But what if every time he got the puck along the half boards, looking for a pass, everyone in the crowd yelled, "shoot shoot shoot!" What if t-shirts and posters were made saying, "Don't Forget to Shoot Joe" or "I Dare Joe Thornton to Shoot". Maybe we can make a pledge to donate a $2 every time Joe shoots the puck to a charitable donation of Joe's liking. Horrible and basic ideas, but something like that.

I understand Joe is the best passer in the league and has Dany Heatley and Patrick Marleau on his wing. And I understand Joe is a pass first and shoot second kind of player; his league leading 36 assists can attest for that. But Joe has an unbelievably hard and accurate shot (37 and 36 goals scored in dead puck era), and it is becoming more apparent that he is starting to use it less and less as a threat (10 shots in 8 games), especially on the power play.

Enough is enough. I demand it is time for Joe to change his game, which he has promised and talked about doing since McLellan joined the club. I have seen 99% of the games Joe has played in since 97-98 with the Bruins. His superb one-dimensional game needs to be modified immediately and permanently, and I hope you fans will join me in this battle for change. Because we know Joe can be a more dominant and multi-dimensional player.
LOLOLOLOL sounds like we have something in common.. getzlaf is very much the same way and he has a wicked shot as well

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Lost cause.

Just not in his blood apparently. Dude loves to pass.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
LOLOLOLOL sounds like we have something in common.. getzlaf is very much the same way and he has a wicked shot as well
Really? I always remember him shooting, at least against the Sharks.

Thornton was actually shooting the last game. He's kind of inconsistent in that regard. He can go without a single shot one game, and then have 5 in another.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:57 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Why??

WTF - he's the premier passer in the NHL. He just needs to shoot enough to keep the other teams honest which he's been doing. This is who he is as a player so lets let him be that player as things are going well. Besides he's can pass to the one of the premier finishers in the NHL, Heatly or Patty M.

VP and GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:05 PM
5H4RK5

His mind thinks pass however, even on an empty net with the goalie tripping over his own defenseman he will wait to pass for the cup.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:45 PM
sub_zero94

how about to get Jumbo off of the half boards on the powerplay?

the powerplay that is stinking up the joint

the powerplay that cannot score in the playoffs

sub_zero94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:34 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_zero94 View Post
how about to get Jumbo off of the half boards on the powerplay?

the powerplay that is stinking up the joint

the powerplay that cannot score in the playoffs
He is racking up the points (pp and EV). Let him do what is working.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:42 PM
CupfortheSharks

JT is leading the entire NHL in points. Come on now. Get a clue.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 07:55 PM
sjsharky

do you think we could also start a campaign to make nabby save every puck?

sjsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 08:46 PM
sub_zero94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
yeh, because we all know that's gonna translate well into the playoffs

Old
12-12-2009, 08:49 PM
BBruins7719428

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
JT is leading the entire NHL in points. Come on now. Get a clue.
Getting points isn't everything. He's led the league in scoring at multiple times in his career. And where has that gotten him? When Joe Thornton drives to the net and looks for a shot, he is the best player in the league. What's wrong with asking Joe to look for a shot instead of forcing a pass?

Old
12-12-2009, 08:58 PM
BBruins7719428

Quote:
yeh, because we all know that's gonna translate well into the playoffs
I'm with you subzero94. He's having an amazing season leading the league in points. But a less predictable Joe will be a more dominant playoff hockey player. Joe's by far my favorite player, but I know he can easily be neutralized. If he shoots more, he is harder to defend.

Old
12-12-2009, 08:59 PM
BBruins7719428

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharky View Post
do you think we could also start a campaign to make nabby save every puck?
Nabby wouldn't pass up an opportunity to save a puck.

Old
12-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
"And where has that gotten him?" It's not as though he was the playoff scoring leader. It's gotten him an Art Ross, a Hart, and a President's. It's not as though shooting instead of getting assists in the season is going to make him do better in the playoffs. And it's not as though if the Sharks production were high enough to get him 1.2ppg from assists, they'd do as badly.

Last edited by Derick*: 12-12-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Flashspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Lost cause.

Just not in his blood apparently. Dude loves to pass.
He's changed a lot as a player since he went over to Switzerland

Flashspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
It's not as though shooting instead of getting assists in the season is going to make him do better in the playoffs.
Are you kidding me? If Thornton started practicing going to the net and shooting the puck during the reg. season, our offense in the post-season will be greatly improved.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:51 AM
sub_zero94

Quote:
"And where has that gotten him?" It's not as though he was the playoff scoring leader. It's gotten him an Art Ross, a Hart, and a President's. It's not as though shooting instead of getting assists in the season is going to make him do better in the playoffs. And it's not as though if the Sharks production were high enough to get him 1.2ppg from assists, they'd do as badly.
all I'm saying is it would be nice to get Jumbo off of the halfboards on every single power play because in the playoffs the sharks pp is shut down every year.

their pp in the playoffs is depressing, especially at home where they usually draw several penalties have have so many opportunities..

if Joe was moving or anywhere other than the half boards the whole time i think the Sharks would benefit greatly... even if Jumbos sole job was as a screen

Old
12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
all I'm saying is it would be nice to get Jumbo off of the halfboards on every single power play because in the playoffs the sharks pp is shut down every year.

their pp in the playoffs is depressing, especially at home where they usually draw several penalties have have so many opportunities..

if Joe was moving or anywhere other than the half boards the whole time i think the Sharks would benefit greatly... even if Jumbos sole job was as a screen
its depressing right now

Actually this team reminds me of the team towards the end of last season. Nobody is on teh same page right now and because of it they arent moving.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 05:28 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
You mean keep playing against non-playoff teams?

Thornton has just 15 pts (2 G, 13 A) in 18 games so far this season against teams that would qualify for a playoff spot (in either conference) if the season ended today.

Not surprisingly, those sub-PPG numbers are pretty close to where JT's career playoff numbers typically are.

Thornton has only 4 multi-point games this year against playoff teams: two against the Kings, and one each against Nashville and Ottawa.

Good teams with good defenses shut down his passing lanes. Defenses who get a full two weeks to analyze and game plan against Thornton and the Sharks' PP unit are able to shut down his superb but one-dimensional talent......something that bottom-feeders playing their 3rd road game in 4 nights after a cross-country flight don't have the luxury of doing.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Those trophies all have one thing in common....they are awarded based on regular season successes which come against teams half of which don't make the postseason.

Thornton is a one-trick pony. There's nobody alive who's better at performing his trick, but he is one-dimensional. When teams with good defenses put in the time and effort to stop or contain that ability, Thornton has little beyond that....and unfortunately the rest of the Sharks offenses seems to follow suit.

I, along with a few other paying customers and avid Sharks aficinados, just think it would be nice if our favorite team's best player--and someone perennially in the discussion for league MVP--had enough heart and wisdom to use the regular season as an opportunity to develop a second dimension to his game so that he would become an unstoppable mutli-tool force when the playoffs roll around and incompetent defenses like the Islanders and the Blue Jackets are nowhere to be found.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:09 AM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
its depressing right now

Actually this team reminds me of the team towards the end of last season. Nobody is on teh same page right now and because of it they arent moving.
the Sharks are following the path of the penguins last year, I like it, this is the least angry I have ever been when theyve been on this long of a losing streak; it humbles them and better to have this slump now then when they did last year. JR just needs to come back to light a fire under their ass come playoffs and they will be golden

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:31 AM
vilpertti

Breaking news at 10: a player in NHL has better stats against bad teams.

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:39 AM
FreeVille

cap'n obvious, of course joe needs to shoot more.

BUT, have you noticed that this thread comes out when the sharks are failing to score (btw i expect the sharks to score at least 3 goals a game since they are a primarily offensive team).

the fact of the matter is, joe thornton is ina slump, and when he is in a slump the sharks are ina slump. so to be honest, everyone needs to start shooting more. last year, it was rare to see the sharks out shot, and this year it seems common.

so yes joe needs to shoot more, but so does patty, pavs, seto, clowe, mitchell (pretty much everyone except for heatley cuz he'll shoot the puck from behind the goal line if he thinks he can score)

FreeVille is offline   Reply With Quote