HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shooting Secrets?

Old
11-23-2009, 08:19 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Shooting Secrets?

I wanted to make a thread to give tips on shooting to all the novice to intermediate players. One big tip toward getting a full weight transfer, when skating in and you have both feel aiming toward the net, snap the hips!

Another one- on one-timers, keep all the weight on your back foot until you've begun the downswing. It's ok to fall down on your front knee with the follow through.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I wanted to make a thread to give tips on shooting to all the novice to intermediate players. One big tip toward getting a full weight transfer, when skating in and you have both feel aiming toward the net, snap the hips!

Another one- on one-timers, keep all the weight on your back foot until you've begun the downswing. It's ok to fall down on your front knee with the follow through.
I've seen Ovechkin end up on his stomach on one timers.

But yes, weight transfer is a big thing to have.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 09:05 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Loading, being able to load in any situation, making sure loading is second nature to ya.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:

donGjohnson,

I wanted to say thanks for starting this thread on shooting secrets! Being brand new to hockey, I always look forward to advice from the senior HF Board players. There are so many things; from skating, to puck handling, and shooting; that it is great to learn more ways to become a better player. I definitely look forward to reading replies to this thread regarding shooting secrets.

Aloha,

SouthpawTRK

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Stealthmode16

My fairly amatuer advice is to practice alot, but do it at 50% power. Get the technique down before you start trying to make lasers. I have found the "weight on a string on a stick" workout crucial to my shot. Alot of power comes from you wrists and forearms, especially the snapper. Looking forward to hearing advice from others aswell.

Stealthmode16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthmode16 View Post
My fairly amatuer advice is to practice alot, but do it at 50% power. Get the technique down before you start trying to make lasers. I have found the "weight on a string on a stick" workout crucial to my shot. Alot of power comes from you wrists and forearms, especially the snapper. Looking forward to hearing advice from others aswell.
Agreed ... getting the mechanics down is a must as evidenced by my terrible golf shots with a driver. I put a lot of power into that it doesn't do much.

Good thing I have a great slapshot to make me feel better.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Ragss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Loading, being able to load in any situation, making sure loading is second nature to ya.

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean loading energy in to the stick? Or getting the puck in to a shooting position.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 11:14 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean loading energy in to the stick? Or getting the puck in to a shooting position.
To me, the most important thing is getting the puck into shooting position fast. Practicing quick hands drills helps for that a lot.

Old
11-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:

One of the main keys to a good one timer is the individual that passes the puck. In order to get the full force out of the shot, the player receiving the puck must have a wide stance. The passer needs to pass the puck between the middle of the shooters wide stance.

If the pass is more off center towards the lead foot, the shot is going to take flight and go high. If the pass is off center more towards the back foot, the shot is going to be low.

It very important to explain this to both the passer and the shooter. Have the passer concentrate on passing the puck...dead center, between the wide stance.

Make sure that the shooter has a closed blade and not open. Closed would mean that the blade is parallel to the ice when the stick is drawn back.

Hope this helps

Headcoach

11-23-2009, 11:39 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Having your stick "flexed" i guess. Whenever im in the off zone and we are cycling the puck, my blade is on the ice and my stick is loaded just in case i have to take a quick shot. If i cant take a shot i just "unload" and rinse and repeat.

We used to have to drills where we would just do laps with our sticks loaded. At first it was ackward and didnt feel right but after about 1-2 hrs of doing this (not all at once) it became second nature and it juts becomes instinct. You dont actually have to think about loading. It just becomes a part of shooting.

Not saying this is or is not more important then proper shooting technique and what not.

Old
11-23-2009, 11:41 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Having your stick "flexed" i guess. Whenever im in the off zone and we are cycling the puck, my blade is on the ice and my stick is loaded just in case i have to take a quick shot. If i cant take a shot i just "unload" and rinse and repeat.

We used to have to drills where we would just do laps with our sticks loaded. At first it was ackward and didnt feel right but after about 1-2 hrs of doing this (not all at once) it became second nature and it juts becomes instinct. You dont actually have to think about loading. It just becomes a part of shooting.

Not saying this is or is not more important then proper shooting technique and what not.
You're talking about snappers, good advice for when you don't have the puck. That's the ultimate ready position for a shooter. I'm going to work that back into my game, haven't done it in quite some time.

Old
11-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Saved*

I find that when I'm skating into the zone as a left hander on the left wing, I can torque my body and aim my feet towards the right side of the net, and use the extra leverage for a godly wrist shot. I've had goalies say it's harder than any slapshot they've faced, and it's deadly accurate.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:35 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
I find that when I'm skating into the zone as a left hander on the left wing, I can torque my body and aim my feet towards the right side of the net, and use the extra leverage for a godly wrist shot. I've had goalies say it's harder than any slapshot they've faced, and it's deadly accurate.
I noticed the same thing about shooting left to right as a LW. My snapper is way better when I can do that...

Old
11-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Saved*

Quote:
I noticed the same thing about shooting left to right as a LW. My snapper is way better when I can do that...
Yeah, I don't know what it is, but I can turn a 60-70 MPH wrist shot into a cannon. It may not be that much faster, but goalies find it a heavier shot, and one that bounces out for an untimely rebound.

Just last night I picked the wingers pocket in our zone on the PK. Slowly skated up while they got into position, and then turned on te jets. Toe dragged around a defender and wired off one of these shots from just inside the blueline. In retrospect I had a lot of time and should have skated in more, but I felt a good one coming, so I did it. Besides, the goalie was temporarily screened from the other defender, rushing over to compensate for the defender that was laying on the ice, reaching for his jock.

After the game, I was sitting outside waiting for my buddies to come out, and I overheard the other team talking.

"That team's full of ringers. If it weren't for you, we would have lost 20-0, you did great man."

"Yeah, but that #81's shot is still bugging me. Did you see that shot? I couldn't even see it. By the time I reacted, it was too late."

Old
11-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Ragss

Did some youtubing, found this one very helpful. Gotta be honest, I play a lot of shinny and rec league hockey and this is somthing I definately do not do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKY7rEZ_2XM

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:54 AM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Did some youtubing, found this one very helpful. Gotta be honest, I play a lot of shinny and rec league hockey and this is somthing I definately do not do.

That is precisely what it means to load a stick. You're storing energy getting it ready to transfer through the puck. I say through because one of the best shooting tips is to always follow through and to shoot to score, even in practice. Always try as hard as you can to score so that you make good shots and making good shots intended to beat the goalie become second nature. Don't waste your time in praccy with dinky shots, keep your shots in "game mode"!

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:56 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:

That is exactly what i was talking about

Good vid

Old
11-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
If you got to watch the video of this pro on Youtube. You will see that he is in the perfect position to take this shot...in the slot. Yes, it was for video demonstration purposes.. But if you are shooting left and you are coming up the left wing and you cross the attacking blue line, you have placed yourself into a lower percentage scoring chance due to the angle of approach on the goalie.

If you draw an imaginary line from the boards at the blueline to the goal posts you will have what is know as a scoring zone. Check this picture below.

Notice that the white area between the two yellow zones, shows this scoring zone. Also, notice that I have the players breaking out on the far side for this example.

One of the things that I teach my players is not to come straight up the ice on the breakout or the attack. Why? If you do get the pass, and you are skating straight up the ice, you are easy to be covered by the defense. This is know as linear hockey. Most coaches, when they make their selection, look for players that have lateral movement.

One of the things I teach is that it's ok to overoad the zone. As long as other players within your line know that time and space needs to be filled. If I go into your skating lane, then you have to move to my skating lane!

So this bring us to how do we enter the attacking zone. For me, as a head coach, I like for my players to enter the attacking zone on their off wing. Why?

If you shoot right and you enter the attacking zone on your right side, the defensemen is going to allow you to move into the yellow area above, on the right side. This area is a lower scoring percentage area. The odds of scoring from this zone are very low. Can it be done? Yes, I have seen it too many times. But they are low.

So to increase your odds of scoring, it's better to move into the open ice area, away from the boards and more towards the slot. But if you shoot right, and you make this sharp turn towards the slot, you leave the puck vulnerable and open for a poke check by the defensemen.

However, if you enter the zone on you off wing, then the puck is protected as you can see from this picture below. Notice that you body is now between the defenseman and the puck and the puck is protected from be poke checked by the defensemen.

Now, one of the things I need you to see in this picture is the green area within this zone. This is known as a "Shooting Alley" and yes they are on both sides as shown above.

If you shoot right and you enter the attacking zone on your off wing as above, the minute you make this stop turn towards the shooting alley, it going to take about 2 to 3 seconds for the defensemen to adjust. Trust me, he will get over as quck as he can to help block the shot.

But at this point, you can use him as a screen, once your stick gets into the slot. You don't have to be within the slot to take the shot...only your stick. Do not try and go around the defensemen. Use him as a tool to get the puck in the net..

Now, this shooting alley allows you to...
  • get your body into the proper shooting position.
  • allows your stcik to have the proper shooting angle
  • allows yourbody to use the proper flex force.
  • proper motion across the body.
  • proper use of defensemen as a screen.

Here is a good example of the proper shooting alley. Yes, it's an old picture, but the technique is important.

Can you take the shot on your on wing? Yes, but you have a very small window on where to release the puck so you have a good scoring percentage. Look at this picture below.

As you can see that both windows are just at the top of the face off circle. This is where you want to get the shot off. It's going to allow you to get maximum flex force behind your shot.

However, I like players to enter the off wing and then enter the alley! But, each coach does things differently.

Hope this helps.
Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 11-24-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Saved*

Hey HC

I know to enter the zone on my offwing, but sometimes things don't really work out and it's safer to take a different route than to fight your way to your offwing. Unfortunately, I'm what you'd consider a 'ringer' on my team in relation to their collective skill level, not the league skill level, and am tasked with entering the zone and setting up plays. I'm not Malkin where I can just skate and enter a zone any way I want; I have to pick and choose the safest route, and sometimes that's the left wing

I was just commenting on the mechanics of my shot coming from my left wing. I score more from my offwing/garbage/tip ins than my left, but hey, I can fire off a rocket from my left and if it doesn't go in, then at least it causes a nice juicy rebound for the net crashers

Old
11-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Hey HC

I know to enter the zone on my offwing, but sometimes things don't really work out and it's safer to take a different route than to fight your way to your offwing. Unfortunately, I'm what you'd consider a 'ringer' on my team in relation to their collective skill level, not the league skill level, and am tasked with entering the zone and setting up plays. I'm not Malkin where I can just skate and enter a zone any way I want; I have to pick and choose the safest route, and sometimes that's the left wing

I was just commenting on the mechanics of my shot coming from my left wing. I score more from my offwing/garbage/tip ins than my left, but hey, I can fire off a rocket from my left and if it doesn't go in, then at least it causes a nice juicy rebound for the net crashers
RM - it's all good, the post really wasn't intended for you. I just like the post you did and I thought I would add my two cents. Yes, I agree with you on entering the attacking zone and some times it's important to take the safe route. This way you maintain control.

I'm not a big fan of dump and chase and I feel that you can always attack the blue line successfully. And yes, I always recommend that one should attack in numbers and not just one guy. It's much safer that way!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:15 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

One thing I constantly notice in B+C leagues, goalies leave you a little space short side, for me, as a lefty coming in on the left side. This is especially true if I come in with speed.

Old
11-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
One thing I constantly notice in B+C leagues, goalies leave you a little space short side, for me, as a lefty coming in on the left side. This is especially true if I come in with speed.
I've noticed in just about all men's leagues the goalies are not all that and a bag of Doritos and the hard quick wristshot flat on the ice far side just inside the post works very often if you hit your mark.

They just really cannot cover it well usually and because it is flat on the ice cannot get a pad on it in time where if it were 3 or 4 inches high they could have made a toe save or something.

It is a good shot in any case that I hardly see anyone do, they all want to do roof jobs or whatever.

Old
11-24-2009, 09:04 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quick question.

I seem to shoot wide (I am right handed and usually shoot to the left of where I aim) on one timers (snap shots). Am I just going to slow through the shot?

It mostly seems like I am aiming at the left of the goal and it goes wide left. I probably just need more practice at them but was wondering if you guys have any thoughts

Last edited by TheGooooch: 11-24-2009 at 09:36 PM.
TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 10:23 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Try aiming more to the right to get your accuracy locked then, then go pinpoint.

Old
11-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
Quick question.

I seem to shoot wide (I am right handed and usually shoot to the left of where I aim) on one timers (snap shots). Am I just going to slow through the shot?

It mostly seems like I am aiming at the left of the goal and it goes wide left. I probably just need more practice at them but was wondering if you guys have any thoughts
I am trying to picture this visually ... I shoot lefty. Are you shooting on the off-wing or your natural wing for your righty shot?

It sounds like you are turning on your shot too soon to me if you are on the off-wing ... the secret to a good one timer is staying back on your hind leg as long as possible which if done properly prevents this.

Do you feel like your weight is on your front foot when one timing?

One thing that most people do not know how to do is to make a good pass to someone to onetime it to begin with. Almost always they make a pass too far to one's front foot forcing the guy to drift into the pass and making a more difficult shot.

Maybe you are getting passes in the wrong place. They should be in the middle of your feet but preferably closer to the rear foot so you can uncoil using leg drive.

Your stick should followthrough when you shoot to be pointed at the goal which means if you look down your shaft after your shot and see off to the side of the goal you will not hit the goal with your shot. And yes you should be low enough after your shot to actually look down your shaft after the shot at the goal.

The puck is following your followthrough because it has to. I'm serious, you should be able to look down your stick shaft at eye level after your shot and be able to see into the net past your blade.

I'm good at onetimers BUT I spend so much time concentrating on the shot so I rarely "aim" it. I pick a general quarter section of the goal usually on the near side for obvious reasons like the goalie isn't there yet which is what the onetimer is designed for anyway. You want to catch the goalie moving so total accuracy isn't as important unless you are a pro or something becasue those goalies are like "there".

I shoot best on my off wing too by the way which is an easier shot for the onetimer for me. It may be different for you and I am still not sure if you are shooting righty on the right side or shooting righty on the left side. I can shoot across my body on the left side as a lefty but it is a hard shot to make and you have to have a great pass which rarely happens with the guys I play with anyway.

I doubt this has helped you but it is the best way I can describe it. I'm no pro and miss the net with the best of them but I do have good success with this shot and am decent at it. They are getting harder to do after 40 years old though I must admit. The brain can still do it but the body doesn't listen.