HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

We Blamed The Wrong Guy (Stevens)

Old
12-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
We Blamed The Wrong Guy (Stevens)

Well so far through 4 1/3 games the team has suffered from much of the same problems that hounded the team when John Stevens was the coach. I know that it may be early but it is showing now that Stevens wasn't the problem. I don't know what the problem is but their is something there and I fear that some of our "star" players will be departing soon because they can't get their **** together. We should be a much better team then we are right now. I'm not saying Stevens was the greatest coach as I'd much rather have Lavvy but it may not have been Stevens fault that this team has sucked so bad at times.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:53 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

it may be the fever telling me to say weird things, but I want RTichards and Carter and Hartnell and Giroux and **** it everyone should be traded, gutless pukes

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
We didn't blame the wrong guy. Some people just didn't want to blame anyone else except one guy.

You're seeing the effects of a team that doesn't know how to respond to anything else other than a coach who coddles them and let's them know everything is going to be ok. Or how to win without relying 100% on a transition game.

They made the right call, on firing the coach. It was just about 8 months too late.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:54 PM
sickamore

**** rolls downhill and you can certainly blame Holmgren, who can be fired, or Snider who cannot be fired.........

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:55 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

don't get me started on Holmgren

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:55 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Well so far through 4 1/3 games the team has suffered from much of the same problems that hounded the team when John Stevens was the coach. I know that it may be early but it is showing now that Stevens wasn't the problem. I don't know what the problem is but their is something there and I fear that some of our "star" players will be departing soon because they can't get their **** together. We should be a much better team then we are right now. I'm not saying Stevens was the greatest coach as I'd much rather have Lavvy but it may not have been Stevens fault that this team has sucked so bad at times.
Stevens broke the team, it's taking a little while to fix everything.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
We didn't blame the wrong guy. Some people just didn't want to blame anyone else except one guy.

You're seeing the effects of a team that doesn't know how to respond to anything else other than a coach who coddles them and let's them know everything is going to be ok. Or how to win without relying 100% on a transition game.

They made the right call, on firing the coach. It was just about 8 months too late.
Exactly. Stevens didn't deserve to be the only one being blamed but that is what happened for the most part, and now we are seeing that he wasn't the sole problem of this organization.

Old
12-12-2009, 06:59 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Exactly. Stevens didn't deserve to be the only one being blamed but that is what happened for the most part, and now we are seeing that he wasn't the sole problem of this organization.
that's fine, but he's got to be the guy you fire first. See if players can respond if not, they're gone too.

And some will be soon hopefully.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:59 PM
sickamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Holmgren broke the team with Snider's backing, it's taking a little while to fix everything.
Fixed because I thought you gave Stevens way too much credit. He wasn't that good at anything.

Old
12-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Jester

Couple of problems.

1) You're assuming that the problems that developed under and because of Stevens' coaching tenure were washed away in 4 1/3 games.

Without a training camp, there was zero chance we could see a complete overhaul of what was going on with this team. Adjusting to a new system is going to require time, and during that transition it isn't always going to be pretty. Our PK is, and has been struggling mightily...the propensity for stupid penalties was a culture that developed over 2.5 years. You don't change that in one week. So on, and so forth.

2) You're assuming that Laviolette is the solution.

He may not be, but he certainly isn't going to be the solution in one week with limited practice time due to games.

All that being said, the players clearly need to get better. I'm not sure what has happened to Coburn, but he's just brutal at the moment. The goaltending is not helping us (as feared during the offseason). The special teams have gone down the crapper (which Stevens was not responsible for), and if that had not been the case we would not have seen a coaching change. Offensively, guys are pressing and trying to do too much (I'm looking at you, Mike Richards).

They're a mess...that's partially the fault of Stevens' tenure, and partially due to the fact that they're playing preseason games in December because Laviolette is trying to reorganize this team on the fly. Laviolette may work out, or he may not work out (I like the changes that I'm seeing, but the team is clearly not in sync from play to play, and shift to shift with those changes). However, to expect him to have accomplished what he's going to accomplish in a week and declaring Stevens absolved is a bit much.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 07:01 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 1810
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Holmgren is certainly to blame as well. He's had poor asset and cap management in nearly every move he's made since acquiring Timonen & Hartnell if you ask me.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Holmgren is certainly to blame as well. He's had poor asset and cap management in nearly every move he's made since acquiring Timonen & Hartnell if you ask me.
The moment his job got difficult...his management of that job went down the crapper. It's easy to be the GM of the worst team in the league with a ton of cash to spend.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Sue everybody! It was a motorbike. I was speeding all over my neighborhood, up and down and speeding all over and I was drinking and I lost control of the bike and I skidded off and I slammed a curb and a pole and into some people.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 07:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The moment his job got difficult...his management of that job went down the crapper. It's easy to be the GM of the worst team in the league with a ton of cash to spend.
Let's not forget also that he traded a 1st and 2nd round pick in the same 2007 draft for pending free agents because he didn't want to play around in the market.

That's 2 really high draft picks who could be playing for us right now in addition to Timonen and Hartnell.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
sickamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Sue everybody! It was a motorbike. I was speeding all over my neighborhood, up and down and speeding all over and I was drinking and I lost control of the bike and I skidded off and I slammed a curb and a pole and into some people.
I haven't heard that in YEARS! Thanks!

Old
12-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Hollywood Couturier

The scary part is the fact that the draft picks from the future and the last couple years haven't even effected us. When that happens boy will the Holmgren hate come out.

Old
12-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Cleary84

I just wanna say can Ed Snider get his head out of his ****ing ass and stop hiring former Flyers as GMs? Yeah, it's cool to watch tough players and big hitters. But there's a price that you pay...minor ****ing penalties.

Step one to creating any type of "dynasty" would be to assemble a team that can adapt to post-lockout NHL. I guess having danglers and dipsy-doers is the winning way to do things.

/rant

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 07:15 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Lavy coaching this team from the start, we'd be in a lot better position.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

We fired the right guy too late.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 07:45 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
5 games.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 08:19 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
5 games.
Equals how many games in a row we lost until we beat the Isles.
Did I win something by getting the right answer?

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:37 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
This

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:08 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Exactly. These guys have been coddled for way too long and now they're going to have to deal with a coach that gets pissed off when they play badly. They've gotten too used to not being accountable.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

This.

I don't think most of us only blamed Stevens. It was just the biggest problem at the time (which got solved too late).

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:20 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
They've gotten too used to not being accountable.
Accountable?

Just where have you seen Laviolette make players accountable?

After that dreadful play the other night, Coburn played over 20 minutes tonight.

After the dumb penalties lately, Hartnell skated 18 minutes tonight.

JVR has one assist in the last ten games. But he is still out there as a top six forward.

Stop with the accountability, already. It never has made any sense, and nothing has changed.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote