HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bad loss.

Old
12-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Habs had a 2-0 lead and lost the game. They had a breakaway and couldn't score...they couldn't get the puck out of their own zone. They left Carey alone. Are the refs to blame for that too?

Refs didn't want to call anything in the last minute which is cool. Metro took a stupid penalty that you just had to call. I don't blame the refs here.

If the habs played well for 60 minutes they wouldn't put refs in the position to decide games for them.

They consistently take penalties at the end of games. Are the refs to blame for that as well? Is it one giant conspiracy?

Stop making excuses for a marginal team.
Stop trying to find something against this team. They didn't play their best, but you can't deny the reffing was horrendous once more when it came down to the wire. If the Thrashers player gets called on that play, Metro doesn't retalliate, and we get a PP. It doesn't matter if we deserve to win or not, bottom line is we need to get points, and worry about improving our play as we go on.

It's not what we deserve, it's what HAS to be done.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:16 PM
holyhabs

At least Price made the BIG save to get us a point. You can be a little off your game but make the big save. He did that tonight..we got 1 point. That is 5 out of 8 this week which I consider a success.

If we can get Gionta back to help with production from the Gomez line and play more disciplined we should be in good shape once Markov comes back.

I love MaxPac but his penalties are becoming a serious issue. Its not even in the defensive zone or saving goals, they are stupid and unnecessary.

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:17 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tray4Adams View Post
But Jacques Martin was brought in to help protect our goalies...
But are #1 D in everything isn't hear...

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eightyseven

I actually thought Cammy was fine. But the guy is TINY! He can't win a board battle to save his life...especially against Atlanta, they have SIZE. That's why he's such an opportunistic scorer. He isn't one to carry the puck. i.e. He's like a faster, smaller version of Dany Heatley.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Trunitsyn View Post
That's the reason why he's not going to be the captain of this team. He doesn't give the best effort every night. The guy is very opportunistic but isn't the greatest worker out there.

Works harder than the Kosteetz

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
At least Price made the BIG save to get us a point. You can be a little off your game but make the big save. He did that tonight..we got 1 point. That is 5 out of 8 this week which I consider a success.

If we can get Gionta back to help with production from the Gomez line and play more disciplined we should be in good shape once Markov comes back.

I love MaxPac but his penalties are becoming a serious issue. Its not even in the defensive zone or saving goals, they are stupid and unnecessary.
Hope JM reprimands him or scratches him next game to send a message you don't play recklessly like he does out there.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:18 PM
MicroFracture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Trunitsyn View Post
That's the reason why he's not going to be the captain of this team. He doesn't give the best effort every night. The guy is very opportunistic but isn't the greatest worker out there.

Hum, Cammalleri had an off game, but not in the effort level...he just forced passes that weren't there and was pretty invisible overall.

MicroFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I was annoyed enough from how bad we were playing...the cameraman just put that frustration to another level. I mean for ****s sake the Thrashers are coming in on a 3 on 2 and I can't even see half our zone because the guys zooms in on our blueline.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:19 PM
habs_in_the_blood

too bad SK didnt score on the breakaway...ohhh well

habs_in_the_blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:20 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Hum, Cammalleri had an off game, but not in the effort level...he just forced passes that weren't there and was pretty invisible overall.
No, no. Having an off game = not giving an effort. Just like Carbonneau said. Il faut travailler! A hockey player can't have a bad night, just like workers like you and me can't have a bad streak in office for whatever reason.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:20 PM
eightyseven

The lack of size up-front is a BIG ISSUE. Against Atlanta, it was even more obvious. The little guys were getting man-handled.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:21 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
I don't like using excuses, but Pouliot, Gionta and Markov constitute 3 important parts of our team.
Agree about Gionta and Markov, not so much about Pouliot (and how silly does that trade look right low? Lats is not only better than Pouliot, he could have been helping now if Martin had known how to use him.)

But even with those injuries, is this roster the worst team in the NHL? Because the way the Habs are playing, that's what they look like.

Quote:
That's just how good he is, I know you like to watch statistics, but his contribution to the team is just so big that you can't judge it with stats.
I am very, very aware of the importance of #1 D-men. It has been my long-held opinion that teams that lose their #1 D-men are dead teams walking. As such, the Habs' record is really a bit better than I had expected.

The problem is that they are lucky to be there. They are currently playing WAAAAY below their record and should, by all rights, be working on a 2-8-1 streak. But they keep running into bad goalies and their goalies are keeping them in game. That cannot, will not last.

While I do think Markov is as much a game-changer as we all hope he is, I must admit to a not-so-secret fear: that Martin, who is so obsessively averse to turnovers and risk, will waste him by coaching him to make the safest play all the time. Markov can't be effective 5-on-5 if he's not allowed to make the breakout pass, but that's inherently riskier than the simple clear (and is why Markov racks up so many giveaways in a season). Riskier in the short term, of course, because there's no better way to lose a game than spend most of it in your zone because you're throwing the puck to center all the time.

It's a miracle the Habs are .500, but Price is mainly to thank for that. Martin, I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Pouliot might not be an impact player, but he's still a much better and more talented hockey player than the likes of Lapierre, Pyatt, Laraque, White. His impact could really well be similar to MaxPac's.
Just a pity he's not as good as the player the Habs traded for him, though.

Quote:
I'm not losing faith just yet...
I think the roster is good. I think the coach has to change the strategy or the GM has to change the coach. I'd much prefer the former, to be honest, because I had a lot of faith in Martin. Maybe once he has Markov he'll implement more of the game I hope he wants to see. Maybe, hopefully, this hang-on-for-dear-life approach is borne of a feeling that this roster can't do better.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
If the Thrashers player gets called on that play, Metro doesn't retalliate, and we get a PP.
Again though, Metro hooks him a little or maybe even trip him and he's not called either. But evident stick to the face will always be called (yes we've seen guys bleeding with sticks to the face that weren't called but they never were as evident as this one). I believe that stick to the face, like the slashing on the sticks that breaks them are obvious penalties for the refs, just as much as putting the puck in the stands. Everything else were probably not going to be called in the later stages of the game and probably also in the OT.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I was annoyed enough from how bad we were playing...the cameraman just put that frustration to another level. I mean for ****s sake the Thrashers are coming in on a 3 on 2 and I can't even see half our zone because the guys zooms in on our blueline.
I noticed that too, maybe because I was watching in SD and they are filming assuming HD, but a lot of times the puck wasn't on screen and it was as if the person filing was waiting for the puck carrier to come out.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
scottyG

This year i think Montreal's goal is to just make the playoffs and pray/ have a transition year, get used to playing with the new coaches,etc and next year is when they will really "go for it"

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:22 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Stop trying to find something against this team. They didn't play their best, but you can't deny the reffing was horrendous once more when it came down to the wire. If the Thrashers player gets called on that play, Metro doesn't retalliate, and we get a PP. It doesn't matter if we deserve to win or not, bottom line is we need to get points, and worry about improving our play as we go on.

It's not what we deserve, it's what HAS to be done.
Man, habs were not winning this game with or without that penalty. If blaming the refs makes you sleep better then so be it.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You may be right. Unfortunately, Gomez's success will only be related to the points he puts on the board. Not about all these others things you mentioned. Not saying you aren't right. But that's how it's going to be.
He doesn't get points for passes because his teammates can't score and when he, himself, does score, it gets refused by the ref (). So he's screwed.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habsfanatical

Evening my fellow Habfanatics!!

How did we play the game tonight? I wasn't able to watch it as I was lucky enough to get to watch iCarly all night with the kidlets hahaha I see we got outshot, again. But how was the game actually played? who payed well?

Yes to whoever posted about the laughs, they won, but it was WAS's 3rd goalie ( rookie, who is a pretty damn good goalie but still alittle slow for the pace of the game ) so I don't really put much faith into it. I was watching the laugh game with my son when I was putting him to sleep ( only game on tv .. Big pouty lips ) and although the laughs won, WAS played piss poor so basically it was like our last game against the laughs.. The laughs came to play but we took it as a game of shinny out on the river.. I still don't and won't give the laughs any credit for that win, we didn't show up so for me its hard to credit the laughs when we did nothing to change the fact.. But that's another story for another time haha..

Back to tonights game.. Were the goals on Pricey at least good goals? Any beauts for saves? Was his head into it? Unforunately we didn't get the 2, but at least the 1 doesn't drop us as far back with the wins by our division foes.. I'm still very much positive on the season, we lost our leader in Markov, our sparkplug Gionta is out, our goalies started the season late, the team had to gel, had to learn the new system.. I personally thought before Gio went down the chemistry was developing quite nicely, Cammy showed the scoring instincts in which we have not seen since.. Richer? Lafleur? Anybody help me out with that one? The injury bug decided that it wasn't quite done from last season I guess.. With Markov actually travelling with the team, I'm pumped even to think what added boost this team will get when he steps onto the ice again!! And when is Gio coming back? I haven't seen much on him recently, mind you I haven't had time too look either..

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:24 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Gomez was doing great. He moves the puck up the ice with ease but he has no support out there because his linemates blow ass. He needs somebody to shoulder some of the load, that is why gionta needs to come back.
so true.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:24 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Very close to Carolina...
Sometimes I ask myself if that wouldnt be the best outcome..

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:25 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Agree about Gionta and Markov, not so much about Pouliot (and how silly does that trade look right low? Lats is not only better than Pouliot, he could have been helping now if Martin had known how to use him.)

But even with those injuries, is this roster the worst team in the NHL? Because the way the Habs are playing, that's what they look like.

I am very, very aware of the importance of #1 D-men. It has been my long-held opinion that teams that lose their #1 D-men are dead teams walking. As such, the Habs' record is really a bit better than I had expected.

The problem is that they are lucky to be there. They are currently playing WAAAAY below their record and should, by all rights, be working on a 2-8-1 streak. But they keep running into bad goalies and their goalies are keeping them in game. That cannot, will not last.

While I do think Markov is as much a game-changer as we all hope he is, I must admit to a not-so-secret fear: that Martin, who is so obsessively averse to turnovers and risk, will waste him by coaching him to make the safest play all the time. Markov can't be effective 5-on-5 if he's not allowed to make the breakout pass, but that's inherently riskier than the simple clear (and is why Markov racks up so many giveaways in a season). Riskier in the short term, of course, because there's no better way to lose a game than spend most of it in your zone because you're throwing the puck to center all the time.

It's a miracle the Habs are .500, but Price is mainly to thank for that. Martin, I'm not so sure.

Just a pity he's not as good as the player the Habs traded for him, though.

I think the roster is good. I think the coach has to change the strategy or the GM has to change the coach. I'd much prefer the former, to be honest, because I had a lot of faith in Martin. Maybe once he has Markov he'll implement more of the game I hope he wants to see. Maybe, hopefully, this hang-on-for-dear-life approach is borne of a feeling that this roster can't do better.
Oh, come on. I know you loved Lats, I liked him too, even I wanted to see him play on the top-6 to start the year off. But he's looked so disinterested in the training camp and showed so little desire to actually get in the traffic, crash the net and bang the opposition regularly that I was getting tired of watching him play his fancy little game. Martin met him 2 times last summer to remind him what they wanted from him, they wanted him to get more physical, he actually was less of a physical factor in games.

And don't come up with the icetime excuse, he just wasn't willing to do what we needed him to do consistantly. Pouliot might not have the same stats as Lats to back him up, but he's got much more potential and is much more complete.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:25 PM
RE-HABS

People gotta quit blaming the refs for every loss.

This team was out skated and out hustled in their own end for most of the night. We came out and played well with a 2-0 lead and all of a sudden we collapsed. Price did his best to keep us in, but with no one clearing the net or rebounds he is only human and isn't the reason for this loss either.

We simply are out played 5 on 5 and when we run around we then take a stupid holding, interference or tripping call. Habs need to work on their even strength play in their own end.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:28 PM
JayBee*

Can't wait till Gionta comes back. Gomez needs him. If Gionta's there tonight, he's got a couple goals and Gomez has a couple assists.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
The lack of size up-front is a BIG ISSUE. Against Atlanta, it was even more obvious. The little guys were getting man-handled.
When the Habs lose, everything seems to be an issue. But for this game, size is not the issue. They were leading 2-0, they would have won this game 9 times out of 10. The problem is the idiotic amount of penalties finally bite them on the butt tonight.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:29 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Seriously?

Pouliot hasn't even been given the opportunity to show what he can do to even say who won or loss that trade. Plus, Martin and coaches before him couldn't get Latendresse to perform. The guy performed in his first 3 games in the Wild and low and behold he becomes Latendresse the rest of the games, the Lats we all knew in Montreal.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote