HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Squire Barnes

Old
12-12-2009, 10:08 PM
fedlibs

vCash: 500
Squire Barnes

I haven't heard people talk about Squire Barnes before. To me, he is quite creative with some of his broadcasts but also seems to be overshadowed by negative comments from time to time. It seems as though he might be a fan of some other team, forced to talk about the Canucks all the time.

What do you think of him? Share.

fedlibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Cocomero*

He along with Jay Janower are the biggest *******s on global.

Cocomero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:39 PM
YogiCanucks

He's basically.. a great sports guy for people who aren't as into sports as everyone on here.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:51 PM
fedlibs

Yes, I personally sometimes like him, sometimes dislike him. I thought that love story analogy of the Sedins resigning was hilarious when I watched on July 1st.

fedlibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I am not a big fan of his. He took over from Bernie/Barry Hoolihan/McKeachie when they revamped BCTV's sport's Dept. I feel he tries far to hard to be funny and smart ass than give the fans what they want. Of course he is a regular on sportstalk for Dan Russell.

Overall I feel he is not as good as he thinks he is, simply because he didn't earn his job, it was pretty much handed to him. I can't find a link but I do remember how shocking the shift and changes were.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:55 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Second Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I am not a big fan of his. He took over from Bernie/Barry Hoolihan/McKeachie when they revamped BCTV's sport's Dept. I feel he tries far to hard to be funny and smart ass than give the fans what they want. Of course he is a regular on sportstalk for Dan Russell.

Overall I feel he is not as good as he thinks he is, simply because he didn't earn his job, it was pretty much handed to him. I can't find a link but I do remember how shocking the shift and changes were.
excuse me?

Old
12-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
excuse me?
DO I have to say it again? From what I remember Bernie Pascal was the long time BCTV Sports director, and for some reason I am not 100% familiar with, He, Jon McKeachie (that's right) and Barry Houlihan were the trifecta for sports on BCTV. Squire came along and in very little time, Squire became Director for Sports with BCTV and Bernie, Barry and John were let go.

Maybe wetcoaster can find a link to this as I have looked hard but cannot find any.

That is just what I remember, not JP Mconnell but John McKeachie.

http://www.bcradiohistory.com/Biogra...ireBarnes3.htm

Quote:
Barnes was promoted to the coveted evening sports post last fall, leapfrogging over established BCTV personalities Bernie Pascal, John McKeachie and Barry Houlihan. For four years prior, Barnes, now 33, had been working in relative obscurity on the weekend shift -- carrying the shield, as it were -- with news anchor Jennifer Mather. Then, all of a sudden, the youngest, most unorthodox sportscaster in the company -- and arguably the country -- was pulled out of line and plunked down ahead of everybody else to sit, as an equal, mind you, beside the big man himself, the famed Tony Parsons. Understandably, egos were bruised.
I just don't buy his schtick

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Blane Youngblood

I don't like him because I was once at a restaurant and instead of waiting for a table he started with the, "Don't you know who I am?"

The waitress should have responded with, "Looking for your mom and dad there little guy?"

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:56 AM
VanEric

Haven't watched him for years. What's the point of him when you can get all your highlights pretty instantly on TSN or Sportsnet or The Score?

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:10 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
DO I have to say it again? From what I remember Bernie Pascal was the long time BCTV Sports director, and for some reason I am not 100% familiar with, He, Jon McKeachie (that's right) and Barry Houlihan were the trifecta for sports on BCTV. Squire came along and in very little time, Squire became Director for Sports with BCTV and Bernie, Barry and John were let go.

Maybe wetcoaster can find a link to this as I have looked hard but cannot find any.

you really aren't getting this are you?

Old
12-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Can't really speak to his personality because I've never met the guy, but he doesn't come off well on TV and is even worse on the radio, but that may be due to the fact that all he does is agree with Dan Russell.

Global wouldn't have to look too hard to replace him when the time comes. Replacing Parsons on the other hand won't be easy, but hopefully TP moves over to CHEK.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post

From what I can see Squire has paid his dues.

Mind you at that time he came on board Bernie Pascall and John McKeachie were getting pretty stale - of course McKeachie never had any sort of shelf life from the get go IMHO.

There were definitely some bruised egos when he was vaulted into the big chair next to Tony Parsons.
Quote:
Squire Barnes grew up in Burnaby and his entire working life has been spent in sports media.

His career was launched at the now defunct CKO Radio in Vancouver. He was there for a five-year stretch in the eighties. From there, he moved on to CKWX Radio as the producer of the Tony Gallagher sports phone-in program. After that, he had a similar position at CHRX in Vancouver.

Television beckoned in the 90's and Squire took over weekend sports at CBC Vancouver. When the Saturday Morning News on Global TV was launched, Squire was a welcome addition to the news team.

Now, part of Global's 6pm newscast, he continues to be one of the station's most popular personalities, which can be attributed to his knowledge of sports and his slightly twisted sense of humour.
Squire may be the only Vancouver media personality that can make Tony Gallagher look well-fed.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:02 AM
DanyHeatleyfnAllstar
French Coach!

He kinda looks like my aunt and that creeps me out so I don't like him.

DanyHeatleyfnAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:

He actually IS really funny and witty. I had lunch with him a couple years ago with some mutual friends and he basically had us in stitches most the time with minimal effort. Very comfortable person to talk to. More surprising than his humor was his height; small, small man.

As for his hockey knowledge, he knows things, but nothing more than a hockey fan who read things on here could/would know. You wouldn't find him 'breaking news' via insiders I mean.

Overall, I like him because he doesn't try to act like he knows it all; he says things like 'I don't know, maybe' to interpretive situations (see Sundin) and doesn't try to state opinion as if it's fact like TSN guys.

Christina Woloski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:31 AM
The Pucks

Does he still do satellite debris?

Man I havent watched him in years, dont you guys get cable?

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:17 AM
DeveinedPgBc

Quote:
I am not a big fan of his. He took over from Bernie/Barry Hoolihan/McKeachie when they revamped BCTV's sport's Dept.
revamped?didn't those guys get fired for making comments about teenage girls at a volleyball tournament?squire jumped those guys because they were fired for being pervs.

i like squire.he adds some happy to sports.he knows his stuff and didn't make rude comments about teen girls, he's ok in my book.

DeveinedPgBc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 04:51 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 2735
Quote:

When I was in Vancouver I was around Barry Houlihan's crowd and what happend was basically a blood letting at BCTV--This was at the beginging of all of the new channels(global) the buyouts and selling of tv channels. From what I was able to gather from someone close to Houlihan's family is that Bearnie, Mckechie and Houlihan were getting paid pretty well while their share of the market fell-- the suits above them--knowing what was coming down the pipeline--made the decision to offer them contracts that in one case was 1/2 of the one that one of them was on. All three of balked collectively at the offers--thinking a united force was the best plan. Thing was, that is just what the suits wanted and they were all informed that the offers they had were the final offers and by refusing the deals--their collective services were no longer needed.

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
When I was in Vancouver I was around Barry Houlihan's crowd and what happend was basically a blood letting at BCTV--This was at the beginging of all of the new channels(global) the buyouts and selling of tv channels. From what I was able to gather from someone close to Houlihan's family is that Bearnie, Mckechie and Houlihan were getting paid pretty well while their share of the market fell-- the suits above them--knowing what was coming down the pipeline--made the decision to offer them contracts that in one case was 1/2 of the one that one of them was on. All three of balked collectively at the offers--thinking a united force was the best plan. Thing was, that is just what the suits wanted and they were all informed that the offers they had were the final offers and by refusing the deals--their collective services were no longer needed.
Sounds like it was an astute business strategy in that case.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Danrik
It is what it is.

I like Squire for what he does. I don't go to Global for my sports news but when I'm watching the regular news and Squire comes on I find him quite funny.

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:59 PM
crobro

i still remember when squire was co hosting ckwx 1130 sportstalk which at the time was competing head to head with dan russell in tyhe late 80`s

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Hollywood Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
i still remember when squire was co hosting ckwx 1130 sportstalk which at the time was competing head to head with dan russell in tyhe late 80`s
bump of the year?

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:39 PM
JuniorNelson

Squire is supposed to be approachable and banter with the noonhour anchor. He is quite good at it. Watch the other sports guys labouring and you'll see that by comparison Barnes is urbane and polished.

As far as reportage goes, he is a talking head who gets his stories off the wire. He doesn't pretend otherwise.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
I like Squire for what he does. I don't go to Global for my sports news but when I'm watching the regular news and Squire comes on I find him quite funny.
Pretty much my thoughts. When I'm watching Global and Canuck news comes on, it's good to see him. I think he'd do well on an actual sports network/might get more recognition. It's easy to forget he's there.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Canucker

I've always enjoyed Squire...I couldn't stand Bernie Pascall, the guy has zero personality. MacKeachie was pretty much a loud mouth stiff, didn't really add any flavour. At least Squire can add some geeky charm...he reminds me of David Spade, funny but kind of sadly pathetic in a way...but most often entertaining at least.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Basso

I always liked Squire's sense of humor. His name just annoys me though makes him seem so posh.

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote