HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury Has 2 Friggin Goals - ONE Goal in last 26 Games

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2009, 02:49 PM
  #201
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They're all paid to play a game.
I agree. However, it's just like people are paid to sing, act in movies, etc. It's all entertainment and as such, people are willing to pay a lot of money to be entertained and therefore, the people who are the most entertaining (in this case the best players) make the most money.

If singer x was the most popular singer in the world, singer x will probably make a lot of money. However, if singer x puts out a couple bad albums, and no one buys them, suddenly singer x isn't being paid too much anymore. Unfortunately, in the guaranteed contract world of sports, that is not the case.

WhipNash27 is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
  #202
RangerBlueJay*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They're all paid to play a game.
This is a business before its a game, this isn't 1926.

RangerBlueJay* is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 02:51 PM
  #203
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They're all paid to play a game.
they are paid to win. they are all leaders of winning organizations. they are front men. they are the face of the franchise.

all sports is about winning. thats why they play. the game.

doing the "little things" is great on a winning team. in that situation, it might make a difference and put you over the top.

on the nyr, chris drury does the little things that mean nothing.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 02:51 PM
  #204
LamoTheKid
Registered User
 
LamoTheKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I agree. However, it's just like people are paid to sing, act in movies, etc. It's all entertainment and as such, people are willing to pay a lot of money to be entertained and therefore, the people who are the most entertaining (in this case the best players) make the most money.
So, essentially, you're saying Chris Drury is the NHL Equivalent of Ben Affleck?

LamoTheKid is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 02:54 PM
  #205
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
So, essentially, you're saying Chris Drury is the NHL Equivalent of Ben Affleck?
pretty much

WhipNash27 is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
  #206
OrbitalDynamics
787
 
OrbitalDynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stalag Luft JFK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
pretty much
Without the J Lo interlude.

OrbitalDynamics is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 04:11 PM
  #207
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
So, essentially, you're saying Chris Drury is the NHL Equivalent of Ben Affleck?
Who do you blame when a picture starring Affleck bombs? The actor or the producer who gave him the starring role and money that goes with it?

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 04:47 PM
  #208
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,395
vCash: 500
I knew we should have signed Gomez and Lang back on that summer day.

Gomez and Lang, Gomez and Lang, this team would look so different now if that was the case.

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 04:55 PM
  #209
omgShakeNbake
 
omgShakeNbake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: Greece
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
So basically, you're completely contradicting yourself. (a statement, not a question) Gotta love "having said that" for you Curb fans.
How am i contradicting myself?

I said he has been paid an awful amount, however its not his fault our gm is retarded...

Once drury is surrounded by talented players you will see how fast he becomes clutch again

omgShakeNbake is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 04:57 PM
  #210
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgShakeNbake View Post
How am i contradicting myself?

I said he has been paid an awful amount, however its not his fault our gm is retarded...

Once drury is surrounded by talented players you will see how fast he becomes clutch again
Nice username.

Shake and Bake is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 04:59 PM
  #211
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Who do you blame when a picture starring Affleck bombs? The actor or the producer who gave him the starring role and money that goes with it?
well, if Affleck acts like complete crap, then hes at least partially to blame, even if the script is horrible.

it would be one thing if Drury was on pace for 25 goals, 30 assists, 55 points. or something close to those numbers which would be more than reasonable to expect based on his career output...hes on pace for 5 goals, 20 assists in 77 games played. That is 50% of his expected production.

Sure, you kill Sather for signing him, but you have to kill the ever loving crap out of him too for playing like complete sphincter this season.

Inferno is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 05:00 PM
  #212
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I knew we should have signed Gomez and Lang back on that summer day.

Gomez and Lang, Gomez and Lang, this team would look so different now if that was the case.
i woulda signed Nylander and Lang...Jagr and Nylander had magical chemistry. Never shoulda broken them up. Shoulda extended Nylander before he ever reached free agency.

Inferno is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
  #213
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
well, if Affleck acts like complete crap, then hes at least partially to blame, even if the script is horrible.

it would be one thing if Drury was on pace for 25 goals, 30 assists, 55 points. or something close to those numbers which would be more than reasonable to expect based on his career output...hes on pace for 5 goals, 20 assists in 77 games played. That is 50% of his expected production.

Sure, you kill Sather for signing him, but you have to kill the ever loving crap out of him too for playing like complete sphincter this season.
But hes playing good defense! Hockey is played on both sides of the ice

Shake and Bake is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 05:04 PM
  #214
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,374
vCash: 500
That is the Chris Drury we were hoping to get when we signed him.



Know what happened? Well first of all, age is always a factor, perhaps his age is catching up to him. Second of all look at the teams hes been on for the Avalanche and Sabres, they were fantastic and Drury played a complimentary role on them.

Can't be denied though that he has declined....=/

Emptyvoid is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 05:10 PM
  #215
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
That is the Chris Drury we were hoping to get when we signed him.



Know what happened? Well first of all, age is always a factor, perhaps his age is catching up to him. Second of all look at the teams hes been on for the Avalanche and Sabres, they were fantastic and Drury played a complimentary role on them.

Can't be denied though that he has declined....=/
THATS the key !

Now he's being asked to be more than he ever has been, while getting older and having to do it after being cheapshotted in the head. And still, havnt heard him complain or make excuses, in fact, he's shoulder the blame when given the oppurtunity.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 05:11 PM
  #216
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
THATS the key !

Now he's being asked to be more than he ever has been, while getting older and having to do it after being cheapshotted in the head. And still, havnt heard him complain or make excuses, in fact, he's shoulder the blame when given the oppurtunity.
he wont let excuses ruin his Christmas.

Inferno is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
  #217
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
he wont let excuses ruin his Christmas.
Or New Years ! But he's too lazy to celebrate, counting his millions.......

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 05:17 PM
  #218
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Or New Years ! But he's too lazy to celebrate, counting his millions.......


Ive always been much harder on Gomez than Drury, but Drury has been absolutely horrible this year. Not mediocre, HORRIBLE. weve seen some bad moves, his and reddens might be the 2 worst ever made in the history of the NHL.... *sigh*

Inferno is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 08:57 PM
  #219
RangerBlueJay*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
To his credit, he came to play tonight, defense that is but still...

RangerBlueJay* is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 09:12 PM
  #220
czechmate25
Registered User
 
czechmate25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hershey, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Looks like the thread title can last another day....or week......or month.

czechmate25 is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 09:16 PM
  #221
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,125
vCash: 500
I have no use for this guy, and I've been saying it for well over a year now.

On his best night he wins 52% of face-offs and gets 4 shots, and blocks 4 shots.

this is a captain? (insert your best Daffy Duck voice here)

Balir Betts did more and for a lot less cap hit

Blueshirt Special is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 09:19 PM
  #222
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,988
vCash: 500
Drury played well tonight. He had a little bit of an extra jump in his step.

You know who I thought played REALLY well? That other guy in the doghouse, Michael Rozsival.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 09:34 PM
  #223
Hockey2000nyr
Registered User
 
Hockey2000nyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 838
vCash: 500
see i think the thing with drury is that he is looked at to lead the team. in colorado he was surrounded by players such as sakic, forsberg, hejduk, and a bunch of other players who would contribute all equally and some a little moreso. he was also much younger and a heck of a lot faster, seems like he played a lot more determined to get it done.

In Calgary he played with Iginla so again he wasnt looked upon as THE leader, he was a little older yet still the fiery guy he was in colorado.

When he was in buffalo he was one of the leaders, but it was a different scenario then it is here in new york. They had a lot of guys who were determined, talented, and all bought into the system that lindy ruff plays.


Now in new york, he is looked upon as THE leader, which i think is a hell of a lot of pressure for anyone in new york. THE leader must be a thick skinned guy, determined, wont let the money go to his head, and still produce. Drury seems like he has lost a little of that fire that made him soo desirable two years ago. I also feel that he is weighed down by that big C that is on his chest. Leetch went through it while Messier was gone. It seems that drury was a little more open/free to let himself just play before he came to new york. maybe he's doing a little too much partying? or is he just not able to handle the pressures of the big city? he does do right by the younger guys on the team, and he seems to be well liked in the locker room, but he jsut doesnt seem to have that fire, determination, speed that he used to have in his younger years and i feel that is the main part of why his play is not what it was last year or the year before that

Hockey2000nyr is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 10:25 PM
  #224
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
So, essentially, you're saying Chris Drury is the NHL Equivalent of Ben Affleck?
What's worse Gigli or the 09-10 Rangers?

Choice is offline  
Old
12-14-2009, 10:31 PM
  #225
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
So, essentially, you're saying Chris Drury is the NHL Equivalent of Ben Affleck?

WhipNash27 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.