HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ilya Kovalchuk (Rumor Update: 01/02/10) Post #432

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Thats hilariously bad. Every time we play the caps that shoul dbe posted in both gdts

Old
01-10-2010, 10:04 AM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Any chance rangers part with Lundqvist for Kovy?

To ATL: Lundqvist, Kolatik
To NYR: Kovalchuk, Lehtonen

It works cap wise to sign Kovy long term but obviously there is a major question mark in goal for New York with Lundqvist gone.
Lehtonen can be as talented as Lundqvist (91.2% career save percentage) but can't get on the ice in the last few season. He is currently pain free and due back in a couple of weeks. Rangers took a risk with Gaborik and it is paying off, maybe it can work again with Lehtonen.

Even if you choose not to re-sign Lehtonen there are plenty decent goalies to target in this upcoming free agency period to fill the no1 void if Lundqvist is traded.
I'm sorry to add this, because I feel bad that like 5 people quoted it saying no. But, Lundqvist is just way too valuable to the Rangers to give up. The only player I would give up Lundqvist for in this league is Ovechkin. Kovalchuk isn't that far from Ovechkin skill wise, but the Rangers are in the midst of slowly re-building, which I'm sure if you watch the team alot, it isn't that hard to notice. We are locked up in net LT, now Sather is letting our defense grow. Girardi, Staal, Gilroy and Del Zotto are all developing at the NHL level. McD is ready for next season, and Sanguienetti might as well. Forwards should be next, it seems like Sather is re-building the traditional "from the net out". We have prospects like Stepan, Kreider, Grachev and Anisimov in the wings. Not to forget more support players like Borque and Werek as well.

Adding Kovalchuk to the Rangers would be a bonus if they can get him through free agency. The Rangers are finally doing the right thing and growing their own talent, so if they make a pitch for Kovalchuk, they really can't give up alot of prospects. Atlanta and NY makes terrible trading partners to begin with, IMHO. With that said, if the Rangers do propose a package, it would not be able to keep up with teams like LA and CHI. The max I could see being offered is:

To Atlanta:
Dubinsky
Girardi
1st in '10
a 2011 conditional pick if he re-signs

To NYR:
Kovalchuk

If you have any other ideas that don't involve: Staal, MDZ, Gaborik or Lundqvist I'm all ears.

I wish the best of luck to the Atlanta organization, and I hope they get a good return for Kovy (as long as it's not from the Rangers)

Old
01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
tjs252

vCash: 500
Why did fake Ovechkin speak with a German accent?

Now I'm just confused.

Old
01-10-2010, 10:47 AM
HoosierDaddy

This is the CAPS Crap, this is the CAPS crap...

...I think I have "Guins Rabies" lol.

Why no clever lines about sucking and tanking?

Old
01-10-2010, 11:28 AM
MaximusT

why the **** would Washington need Kovalchuk? like seriously, cmon

Old
01-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Thats awful...

Old
01-10-2010, 12:57 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Was I the only one who sat mesmerized through the whole thing?

I thought it was awesome in an endearingly pathetic sort of way. Who knew DC had hipsters too?

Old
01-10-2010, 02:32 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
The Fourth Period has it too
http://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod

Also Atlanta got beat by Washington tonight 8-1 Kovalchuk had 0 points and was a -3 didn't watch the game but anyone think he is mailing it in trying to get the trade talks going?
I know I'd be the first one waiting in line to get an underacheiving superstar who's for whatever reason halfassing it in his contract year

where are those people that said Kovy has "grown up a lot" since the series against the Rangers when they were swept?

Old
01-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
I am just going to say how i feel I am calling
BuLL SH!! on this rumor. Never going to happen and it was made up. I saw the rumor on a few hockey fight sites and a blog. The rumor was made up and posted to make it seem real

Old
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Let the Flyers get Kovalchuk. They aren't winning anything with him or without him with their goaltending.
In a way it would be a good thing if Philly traded for him...giving up what they'll need to give up will hurt them in the near future, and I totally agree, they are going nowhere without goaltending. I can't see Kovalchuk not going to FA over the summer to get teams into a money war. Financially it's the smarter move for him.

Old
01-10-2010, 09:42 PM
benneyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Was I the only one who sat mesmerized through the whole thing?

I thought it was awesome in an endearingly pathetic sort of way. Who knew DC had hipsters too?
BHF - No! I actually kinda liked it, just a little. Have to give the guy credit for some creativity.

I would MUCH rather see the Caps have some success than Pittsburgh. I can't stand anything about the Penguins, while I respect the Caps, and what's left to say about Ovie? He's the best.

Old
01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Since when?

The same people expected Sather to swoop in at the last moment to snag Heatley or Kessel.

When was the last Sather made a big trade giving up major assets for a now player?Just for a few months.
Not that it was a huge trade or maybe you dont consider it a major asset...but the deal last year for antropov was one that i think surprised many. Yeah I know we needed a forward, but we werent rumored to be going for antropov at all leading up to that deal.

Old
01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
I would MUCH rather see the Caps have some success than Pittsburgh. I can't stand anything about the Penguins, while I respect the Caps, and what's left to say about Ovie? He's the best.
But , can he crush like Kon?

Old
01-10-2010, 11:21 PM
CaptainCallahan*

Attention Ilya Kovalchuk

Dear Ilya, you are a bonafide superstar and we in New York would welcome you with open arms. But if you are honestly serious about the money you are demanding, than please do us Rangers fans a gigantic favor and ignore Glen Sather's inevitable phone call. You are in the same elite class as stars Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marian Gaborik, Joe Thornton, and Dany Heatley, and they don't have max contracts. I understand that if they hit the free agent market like you are about to do, some GM will throw a max contract at them as well, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of hockey? Isn't hockey a team sport, and isn't demanding 20% of the team's cap stating that you are above the team? Think about all the championships you would win if you decided to play with another superstar and only take 7.5-8 million a season as opposed to hogging a whopping 11.36. Even if you don't come to the Rangers, you NEED, for the love of God, NEED to leave Atlanta!! If you decided to come to the Rangers, you would have a fellow offensive superstar in Gaborik, one of the leagues top goaltenders in Lundqvist, fellow Russians you can be a mentor to in Anisimov and Grachev, and a young core of Del Zotto Staal Callahan and Dubinsky. Correcting cap errors (cough Redden cough Roszival) and the inclusion of you at a cost around what Gaborik makes could make us true contenders for years to come. Even if you don't come to New York, please take less money to play along with a superstar. At the end of your career what is more important, being a multi-millionaire with multiple cup rings, or being an even multier-millionaire with no success to show for yourself? You are filthy rich regardless, what is 11 million when your already making 7?

Sincerely, Dave

Old
01-11-2010, 12:08 AM
blueliner94

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCallahan View Post
Dear Ilya, you are a bonafide superstar and we in New York would welcome you with open arms. But if you are honestly serious about the money you are demanding, than please do us Rangers fans a gigantic favor and ignore Glen Sather's inevitable phone call. You are in the same elite class as stars Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marian Gaborik, Joe Thornton, and Dany Heatley, and they don't have max contracts. I understand that if they hit the free agent market like you are about to do, some GM will throw a max contract at them as well, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of hockey? Isn't hockey a team sport, and isn't demanding 20% of the team's cap stating that you are above the team? Think about all the championships you would win if you decided to play with another superstar and only take 7.5-8 million a season as opposed to hogging a whopping 11.36. Even if you don't come to the Rangers, you NEED, for the love of God, NEED to leave Atlanta!! If you decided to come to the Rangers, you would have a fellow offensive superstar in Gaborik, one of the leagues top goaltenders in Lundqvist, fellow Russians you can be a mentor to in Anisimov and Grachev, and a young core of Del Zotto Staal Callahan and Dubinsky. Correcting cap errors (cough Redden cough Roszival) and the inclusion of you at a cost around what Gaborik makes could make us true contenders for years to come. Even if you don't come to New York, please take less money to play along with a superstar. At the end of your career what is more important, being a multi-millionaire with multiple cup rings, or being an even multier-millionaire with no success to show for yourself? You are filthy rich regardless, what is 11 million when your already making 7?

Sincerely, Dave
Bravo dude, couldn't have said it better

Old
01-11-2010, 12:19 AM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCallahan View Post

Sincerely, Dave
Dear Dave,

Piss Off !

Sincerely,

Ilya

Old
01-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

its not the difference between 7 and 11 mil

its the difference between say, 70, and 110 mil.

thats 40 million dollars...40 million...40 MILLION.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Thats if he gets a 10 year deal. I see him taking a Hossa type deal if thats the case on the 10 years, other wise no way does he get 11 mil at 10 years.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Thats if he gets a 10 year deal. I see him taking a Hossa type deal if thats the case on the 10 years, other wise no way does he get 11 mil at 10 years.
theres no way to know. Kovy might be looking to score big cash wise, and frankly i dont blame him.

Old
01-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Zil

Quote:
theres no way to know. Kovy might be looking to score big cash wise, and frankly i dont blame him.
Well at some point it gets to a matter of how much do you need to placate your ego versus how much do you want to be on a winner. Not saying the Rangers necessarily are that winner though. We shall see.

Old
01-11-2010, 02:08 AM
RegalRangers

Reminds me of this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...2919/index.htm

Obviously Ilya's no Lebron, but there's a lot to be said about a player who takes a discount to help the team.

Old
01-11-2010, 03:48 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

In todays NHL with the cap being what it is that $40 Million is the price tag he will be collecting from some poor team that is destined never to win a Championship. It just can't happen.

You can only do so much building with youth, lower tiered Veterans & suppoedly washed up Vets looking to catch on that have somthing left in the tank & a desire to prove themselves.

Sure, you could get lucky one year & catch some teams that are expected to win when they are down, it does happen. But chances are it won't.

Old
01-11-2010, 06:30 AM
D713B

Attention Ilya:

Get Paid!

No one is going to look out for you after this is all over. If you have the chance to earn 10, 20, 30 or even $40M more dollars by going to the highest bidder than by all means do so. I hate this idea that it's good for the game, or he should place Stanley Cups at the top of his priority list. If a job in your field offered you a substantial increase in salary would you stay and be loyal instead of taking the money? I highly doubt it.

Some of the greatest players to play any sport never brought home the big one, it's no guarantee. Look at what Hossa has done the past two seasons. None of us have ever been in the position to guarantee our family lineage for generations to come with $100M+ contract, so none of us should pass judgment.

Get paid Ilya.

Old
01-11-2010, 07:23 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Ilya wants to get paid the max but wants assurances from Atlanta brass the team will be competitive ie spending money. If they pay him $11.36 million and can't spend above the midpoint,that leaves $37 million for the rest of the team.

Ilya will explore free agency on July 1. He would be foolish to forfeit his right to explore his options.

Old
01-11-2010, 09:10 AM
NikC

Watching that game last week was depressing. There were huge gaps in the seating all over their arena. Atlanta is going to have to shell out
a ridiculous amount of money to keep him long term.

The only other teams that can afford him are franchises that are equally as irrelevant as Atlanta. To me, he only has two choices:

Stay with Atlanta or go to another young franchise and be filthy rich
and retire without the possibility of winning a cup in a small market.

Sign with top team and still be moderately rich with a good chance to win the cup, getting the acknowledgment for skills.

Closed Thread