HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Martin Gerber hospitalized with a serious neck injury

Old
12-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
None actually, well just the one in video... I was asking a question, trying to learn... I can't imagine if one arena looks like that, the others might be better, but can it be anything that compares to NHL arenas?

I am actually asking out of interest, so try not to insult my lack of knowledge...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:31 PM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
None actually, well just the one in video... I was asking a question, trying to learn... I can't imagine if one arena looks like that, the others might be better, but can it be anything that compares to NHL arenas?

I am actually asking out of interest, so try not to insult my lack of knowledge...
It's the smallest arena in the whole league (2900), as well as the city with 80 000 inhabitants. The team itself probably won't play in the khl next season.

Speaking about nhl level arenas here is new 15 000 Dinamo Minsk arena.

St Petersburg (12300)

Riga (10500)

Probably 2 moscow teams will move to Megasport (14500) next season.

And most teams have small but modern arenas (6000-10000)

Well it's all Off Topic here.
Best wishes to Gerber.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 07:58 PM
torero

I also like Gerber a lot. Good Luck and good recovery.
And ... we need you in our national team so get back on your feets.
+ it is sad ... he was in a nice serie of good results.

And, about misunderstandings :
The world of misunderstanding is enormous ! Semantic, cultural, sensitivities ... .
+ non English speakers often make mistakes ...
So be cool guys !

I understand that all posters here are Gerber lovers or at least wish him sincerely a recovery.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
It's the smallest arena in the whole league (2900), as well as the city with 80 000 inhabitants. The team itself probably won't play in the khl next season.

Speaking about nhl level arenas here is new 15 000 Dinamo Minsk arena.

St Petersburg (12300)

Riga (10500)

And most teams have small but modern arenas (6000-10000)

Well it's all Off Topic here.
Best wishes to Gerber.
IT Doesn't answer the question: How do they pay those contracts?? six to ten thousand seats? Those are baby barns, regardless of whether they're thirty years old or opened yesterday.

Bring Back Bucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:51 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky View Post
IT Doesn't answer the question: How do they pay those contracts?? six to ten thousand seats? Those are baby barns, regardless of whether they're thirty years old or opened yesterday.
everyone knows how, sports in Russia has never been profitable, but a toy in hands of oligarchs.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
everyone knows how, sports in Russia has never been profitable, but a toy in hands of oligarchs.
Apparently Uncle Bring Back Bucky, King of Donair was unaware

Bring Back Bucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Den

Quote:
Where's this coming from?

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:36 PM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Where's this coming from?
Well, there is a lot of hints to that.
First was Mutko's interview.
Quote:
– Не пора ли тогда и Мегаспорт отдать наконец хоккеистам. Согласитесь, было бы здорово, если бы московские команды играли матчи КХЛ на Ходынке, в лучшем дворце страны. Как в Лужниках в советские времена.

– Надо решать этот вопрос с властями Москвы. Вот и олимпийский сбор провели именно здесь, а не в Новогорске. И сборная всегда с удовольствием в Мегаспорте играет… Этот дворец должен служить хоккею. Будем это обсуждать.
http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/345093

Then this.
Quote:
На Ходынке откроют российский Зал хоккейной славы!
http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/360400

And afaik this year expires Dinamo's contract with Luzhniki. Tretiak, KHL, Mutko, everybody want to bring hockey to hodynka, so my guess is that Luzhkov will eventually capitulate. May be we'll hear some news after Channel One cup. I'm sure the press will bring up this question again.

Old
12-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Best wishes to Gerber on a speedy recovery.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:41 AM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
So it goes from a compression fracture (out for months) to a contusion (out for weeks). Glad to see the news get better...

That was a pretty fluke injury, getting hit straight on like that. Scary stuff.

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:45 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
I lol'd. How many khl arenas you've seen?
Going by the wikipedia entries (and correct me if they're wrong), there are only 2 arenas in the league that seat more than 11,000 people, only 4 that fit 10,000 or more, and the majority are well under 10,000, with a number seating less than 6,000. It's a pretty valid question.

I mean, hell, I play my beer league games in a 7,500 seat rink.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:36 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Going by the wikipedia entries (and correct me if they're wrong), there are only 2 arenas in the league that seat more than 11,000 people, only 4 that fit 10,000 or more, and the majority are well under 10,000, with a number seating less than 6,000. It's a pretty valid question.

people have other concerns and don't have the budget for going for the games. As for the arenas, it takes time, to build new ones and a lot of money...

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I'm quite impressed. Had a stretcher out in under a minute. Much improved over the Cherepanov and Kariya instances.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:56 PM
IJKPrinciple

Quote:

First of all: There are only 150 million or so people in the country, that's half of the US population.
Second: Hockey isn't the number 1 game in Russia like it is for example in Canada. Football is more popular. Moscow isn't a hockey town - people watch footy more, that's the reason for lower attendances than in other cities.
Third: Most of the arenas in KHL were opened in this century! Do you expect them to demolish more than a half of the KHL arenas and build new ones instead? That's silly.
Khabarovsk - opened 2003, Omsk - opened 2007, Astana - opened 2001, Ufa - 2007, Kazan - 2005, Nizhnekamsk - 2005, Magnitogorsk - 2007, Chelyabinsk - 2008, Mytishchi - 2005, Balashikha - 2007, Chekhov - 2004, Yaroslavl - 2001, Cherepovets - 2007, Riga - 2006
Also Minsk will open a new arena soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
I'm quite impressed. Had a stretcher out in under a minute. Much improved over the Cherepanov and Kariya instances.
There WAS a stretcher in that game with Kariya! There was another problem though - they couldn't get the stretcher to the rink because of a rusty door that hasn't been used for some time.

IJKPrinciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:48 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJKPrinciple View Post
First of all: There are only 150 million or so people in the country, that's half of the US population.
Second: Hockey isn't the number 1 game in Russia like it is for example in Canada. Football is more popular. Moscow isn't a hockey town - people watch footy more, that's the reason for lower attendances than in other cities.
Third: Most of the arenas in KHL were opened in this century! Do you expect them to demolish more than a half of the KHL arenas and build new ones instead? That's silly.
Khabarovsk - opened 2003, Omsk - opened 2007, Astana - opened 2001, Ufa - 2007, Kazan - 2005, Nizhnekamsk - 2005, Magnitogorsk - 2007, Chelyabinsk - 2008, Mytishchi - 2005, Balashikha - 2007, Chekhov - 2004, Yaroslavl - 2001, Cherepovets - 2007, Riga - 2006
Also Minsk will open a new arena soon.
That's also about five times the population of Canada.

I get that hockey isn't necessarily the biggest draw in town for a lot of these places, and I'm really not concerned with how new or old the rinks are. I've been in old barns that are awesome, and new rinks that are brutal and vice-versa.

It doesn't change the fact that this is a league that is throwing around tremendous amounts of money, and even if it's being done as a national pride thing instead of making money, or whatever the reason people give, at some point these people are going to want these teams to at least break even, or come close to doing so; it's pretty much impossible to break even if you're paying out millions in salaries and your rink fits 6500 people regardless of what year the rink was built.

I know you guys in this forum are used to people coming in and trying to pick away at the KHL, but I'm very honestly not doing this. I'm just curious as to how people don't see these very, very small capacity rinks as a problem for the long-term stability of the league.

Anyway, sorry to take the thread even farther off topic.

Old
12-23-2009, 09:22 PM
ult

Quote:
That's also about five times the population of Canada.

I get that hockey isn't necessarily the biggest draw in town for a lot of these places, and I'm really not concerned with how new or old the rinks are. I've been in old barns that are awesome, and new rinks that are brutal and vice-versa.

It doesn't change the fact that this is a league that is throwing around tremendous amounts of money, and even if it's being done as a national pride thing instead of making money, or whatever the reason people give, at some point these people are going to want these teams to at least break even, or come close to doing so; it's pretty much impossible to break even if you're paying out millions in salaries and your rink fits 6500 people regardless of what year the rink was built.

I know you guys in this forum are used to people coming in and trying to pick away at the KHL, but I'm very honestly not doing this. I'm just curious as to how people don't see these very, very small capacity rinks as a problem for the long-term stability of the league.

Anyway, sorry to take the thread even farther off topic.
Is that so hard to understand that you can't make this things in just 1 year or 2. Building big rinks and making the clubs profitable takes time. So what, they're investing big money right now and that doesn't mean this gonna last forever. But it's neither mean that they don't want to earn money on hockey. What are you expecting? "Oh snap we should close our league and cry in the corner, our rinks are so small". The progress so far is already enormous. You'll need to buy good players to attract audience and make the league interesting. And I'm sure a lot of people in NA will be happy if KHL wouldn't be doing this. Don't worry about long-term stability, it's all about long-term constant growing.

Old
12-23-2009, 10:59 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Is that so hard to understand that you can't make this things in just 1 year or 2. Building big rinks and making the clubs profitable takes time. So what, they're investing big money right now and that doesn't mean this gonna last forever. But it's neither mean that they don't want to earn money on hockey. What are you expecting? "Oh snap we should close our league and cry in the corner, our rinks are so small". The progress so far is already enormous. You'll need to buy good players to attract audience and make the league interesting. And I'm sure a lot of people in NA will be happy if KHL wouldn't be doing this. Don't worry about long-term stability, it's all about long-term constant growing.
So the plan is to tear down these relatively new small rinks, alike the arena for Lada which is being built with only 6,000 seats, and replace them with larger ones in a few years?

Put aside seeing my questions as some sort of challenging the KHL, and actually consider the question: Building new arenas is extremely expensive, and the majority of the rinks the KHL teams play out of aren't big enough to generate enough income to support the teams. How is this not considered any kind of problem? I mean, yeah the obvious solution is to build new arenas and fill them, but that's often easier said than done.

Last edited by RobertKron: 12-23-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old
12-24-2009, 01:09 AM
ult

Quote:
So the plan is to tear down these relatively new small rinks, alike the arena for Lada which is being built with only 6,000 seats, and replace them with larger ones in a few years?

Put aside seeing my questions as some sort of challenging the KHL, and actually consider the question: Building new arenas is extremely expensive, and the majority of the rinks the KHL teams play out of aren't big enough to generate enough income to support the teams. How is this not considered any kind of problem? I mean, yeah the obvious solution is to build new arenas and fill them, but that's often easier said than done.
Teams income doesn't matter in this. Building new arenas is up to government and oil and gas companies. Like it or not. For team to earn enough money to build a new arena, they'll need to set ticket price to about 100 bucks. But no one is gonna pay 1/10 of their salary to watch one game. As for lada, I doubt they'll play next year.

Old
12-24-2009, 09:35 AM
IJKPrinciple

Also if you look in other parts of Europe - it's simply not common to build large capacity arenas. There are only 3 in Europe that are over 15 000. And as ult said - don't expect KHL teams to have ticket sales as the main source of income in the near future since raising ticket prices won't help (people would rather stop attending the games than paying more) and building new arenas in places where a brand new arena has already been built just a few years ago is nonsense.
That said, the main income is from sponsors. It shouldn't be a big deal since top English or Spanish football teams also have sponsors and no one complains.
Just don't expect KHL to do everything like NHL - Europeans do it their way, be it football, ice hockey or basketball.

IJKPrinciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 08:28 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
100% correct, you have to invest to become successful, there is no such thing as a free lunch! They are trying to build hockey the same way hockey was built in Los Angelas. Slowly but surely fan bases and arenas will increase, as will cash flows. Medvedev says he expects to be in the black by 2012. That might be a few years pre mature, but with an economic upturn and a gold medal at the olympics which could stimulate interest in the game, anything is possible....

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 08:35 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Besides, right now the KHL is being subsidized by corporate sponsors to stay afloat at the current level. But this is a necessary subsidy in order for the league to grow. How many industries are subsidized these days so that companies can grow or stay competitive. Hell, just look no further than the US auto market!

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Best wishes to poor old Gerber.

Posted via Mobile Device

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 04:32 PM
jonas2244

Martin Gerber played tonight for the first time since his injury. He played the first period in the game Switzerland vs. Sweden and showed a strong performance making 14 saves out of 15 shots. We may see him at the IHWC.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

That's good news, that he has recovered and all.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 05:34 PM
torero

WC 2010 in Germany

Gerber played in Switzerland's first game vs Latvia.

1 goal in 22 shots. .95... %

he was named best player of the Swiss team.

He is back ... on track.
and better ... than ever.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote