HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cogliano

Old
12-13-2009, 02:12 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

vCash: 500
Cogliano

Just wondering if you think he may be available, considering his struggles this season? And if so, what would the Oilers be looking for, in trade? What are the team needs?

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Cam98

i hope he gets packaged up for a impact player or for another young guy struggling...liked Patrik Berglund

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:29 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
i hope he gets packaged up for a impact player or for another young guy struggling...liked Patrik Berglund
I was looking at the stats of some of the young guys I like who are struggling yesterday and that is the first name that came to my mind, I think he would be an excellent acquistion for us. Martin Hanzal mentioned in past threads could make a lot of sense too.

St. Louis also has the opposite problem from us in that they have too many defense first defenseman and not enough offensive ones. Whereas we have too many offense first guys with no really solid shut down defensive types.

FacelessButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
I think his days as an oiler are numbered due to the fact that he will be a RFA after this season and they oilers may not have the money to sign him

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think his days as an oiler are numbered due to the fact that he will be a RFA after this season and they oilers may not have the money to sign him
Yeah, his 8 points and pro-rated 21 points are going to net him a big raise.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Just wondering if you think he may be available, considering his struggles this season? And if so, what would the Oilers be looking for, in trade? What are the team needs?
I would do Cogliano for Kulemin. Guys a pretty big body, decent skater, decent offensive skill set. He'd fit in perfect in the bottom six.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
I would do Cogliano for Kulemin.
Do you honestly think Kulemin would do any better in a 4th line role? Because that's exactly where he would find himself.

I wish people would use common sense when evaluating Cogliano. He's doing as well as one could expect given the limited role he has received. He's a plus player playing with slugs on a grind line.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:30 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Do you honestly think Kulemin would do any better in a 4th line role? Because that's exactly where he would find himself.

I wish people would use common sense when evaluating Cogliano. He's doing as well as one could expect given the limited role he has received. He's a plus player playing with slugs on a grind line.
Just the same, he hasn't grabbed any opportunities. Brule was a third liner in the AHL last year, has worked his tail off, and look where he is now. Cogliano just doesn't seem to want it badly enough.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:47 PM
voxel

Meh.

For a third/fourth liner with crappy linemates, Cogs is getting his scoring chances but isn't potting them in (due to luck/bounces). His shooting percentage is awfully low.

He's too good to be a bottom-6er, but too small + weak on the puck to be a top-6er. For the right trade, I would send him packing, but not for Kulemin or junk like that.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:47 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

One thing we have to think about is the fact that Cogs while on the 3rd line should be on the second line--but has better players ahead of him. From my perspective the oilers, if they move him should move him for a 3rd line checker/grinder type player

Old
12-13-2009, 03:53 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Just the same, he hasn't grabbed any opportunities. Brule was a third liner in the AHL last year, has worked his tail off, and look where he is now. Cogliano just doesn't seem to want it badly enough.
I disagree. Its not like he is doggin it out there. He is playing hard and is getting his nose dirty. Im not really concerned about him and dont see what the rush to get rid of him is all about. Especially for a player that is struggling on another team. No more Patrick O'Sullivan's please.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:59 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Meh.

For a third/fourth liner with crappy linemates, Cogs is getting his scoring chances but isn't potting them in (due to luck/bounces). His shooting percentage is awfully low.
I think the problem is we've seen both the best (rookie year, goals vs. Calgary, OT goals) and the worst (now) from the guy, and there doesn't appear to be a middle. He's just sort of there most of the time, playing responsible hockey but not impacting the GF in any significant way. That block on Heatley in the final minute of the Sharks game was all-world lends credence to the theory he IS Marchant 2.0.

Maybe he's not a sniper, that's fine. But then he needs to start making plays and using his speed to create passing lanes. There are enough playmakers on this team to touch him how to do that.

Old
12-13-2009, 04:02 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I disagree. Its not like he is doggin it out there. He is playing hard and is getting his nose dirty. Im not really concerned about him and dont see what the rush to get rid of him is all about. Especially for a player that is struggling on another team. No more Patrick O'Sullivan's please.
I should clarify. He just doesn't seem to want it offensively. He plays with so much passion in his end, though, and he does do lots of dirty work. But the power game is not his game.

Old
12-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
I should clarify. He just doesn't seem to want it offensively. He plays with so much passion in his end, though, and he does do lots of dirty work. But the power game is not his game.
He has been playing with pluggers for the most part. Dont really see how expectations for offense are justified. No pp time, and scraps for es ice and he still put up eighteen goals last year. There are other players we need to get rid of before him, that is for sure.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 04:27 PM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
I'm happy with Cogs - he's not complaining about wanting top 6 minutes and you know he won't be able to get a huge raise.

Sure Cogs might do much better elsewhere, but for the time being - I think he's doing quite well in his role right now

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Why does Patrick O'Sullivan keep getting plum minutes

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post

Yeah, I think he would do way better in a 3rd or 4th line role. What kind of question is that? That's precisely the reason why I would do the trade. He would be in a position like Brule. He would be in the bottom six and fill a purpose and as he gains more confidence and performs more he would move his way up.

Common sense has a very big part in my Cogliano for Kulemin proposal. On the other hand you making excuses for the guy is not using very much sense. The reality is you can give all the reasons you want for Cogliano not living up to expectations but the cold hard truth is he does not have a place on this team and is probably not in the future plans of the oilers.

Last edited by Tavaresmagicalplay*: 12-13-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 05:19 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

curious to know what a Cogliano/POS package could get the oilers

Old
12-13-2009, 05:28 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Despite not having any points in the last 12 games, amazingly enough he's still +3. And this shows on the ice--he's a very 'heady' player, very good defensively. If we can find a clear upgrade coming back in a trade then I'd say go for it, but it might be that we have our new Marchant--he just needs to get better on the dot.

The other positive, beside his defensive play, is that he should be signed for a pretty cheap rate this coming off-season, unless he really starts getting the offense going.

One last thing, Andy Murray has been speaking out regarding some of his young guys and how they're more interested in putting up points than helping the team. It seems to me that Cogliano is not this type of guy--I don't see Cogs cutting corners out there. I also wouldn't be interested in trading Cogliano for a Perron or whomever if all their interested in is putting up points at the cost of team success--not that Perron is neccessarily one of the guys that Murray is talking about; I'm just using him as an example.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 05:38 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
One last thing, Andy Murray has been speaking out regarding some of his young guys and how they're more interested in putting up points than helping the team. It seems to me that Cogliano is not this type of guy--I don't see Cogs cutting corners out there. I also wouldn't be interested in trading Cogliano for a Perron or whomever if all their interested in is putting up points at the cost of team success--not that Perron is neccessarily one of the guys that Murray is talking about; I'm just using him as an example.
Speaking of Perron, it sucks that we passed him up not once but twice. I wanted Plante where we took him, but Nash was a huge reach at 21 and it's obvious who the better player is right now. Brendan Smith was the guy I really wanted and he's a Hobey candidate.

Imagine having Gagner, Perron and Hemsky all running their own lines. It'd be like Buffalo 05-06.

Old
12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
curious to know what a Cogliano/POS package could get the oilers
Especially given the chances of Eberle and MPS cracking the roster in the next season or two.

I think two of O'Sullivan, Cogliano and Nilsson will certainly be moved in the next two years. O'Sullivan is signed and so is Nilsson.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 06:18 PM
HockeyNoob4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I think that Cogliano would be available. He would make a better winger than center based on his faceoff stats. He's a reliable 2-way player, but has struggled offensively this season (low shooting percentage/scoring).

If not for the fact that he's an RFA, I would love the Oilers to deal for the Poni boy. Ponikarovsky!

Is Ponikarovsky available?

HockeyNoob4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 06:20 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Especially given the chances of Eberle and MPS cracking the roster in the next season or two.

I think two of O'Sullivan, Cogliano and Nilsson will certainly be moved in the next two years. O'Sullivan is signed and so is Nilsson.
Eberle next season--with MPS coming in two if it looks like Lander will have a shot at the team as well---MPS and Lander are best friends and MPS will come when Lander is ready

Old
12-13-2009, 06:20 PM
HockeyNoob4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
Why does Patrick O'Sullivan keep getting plum minutes
Good question!

A. Who else is there?

B. We have too many players whose contracts end this year. If you give plum minutes to O'Sullivan--his contract extends into next year. It might help make him tradeable too.

However, if you give too many plum minutes to Brule, Potulny, Gagner, Colgiano, etc... then they're all going to get an overpay contract at the end of the season.

HockeyNoob4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 06:28 PM
reckless_abandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyNoob4u View Post
Is Ponikarovsky available?
I wouldn't be shocked if he was. Him and Stajan and a 2nd for Cogs and Pouliot could probably be made at the deadline, but is that a deal we would want? I don't think so.

reckless_abandon is offline   Reply With Quote