HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Del Zotto Getting a Free Pass by the Coach and Fans?

Old
12-14-2009, 08:10 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Might take years eh? Looks like Gilroy got about what, 28 games to remedy the areas of concern in his game?
The Rangers do not have the same option with Dizzy.

They cannot sent him to Hartford.

If they send himto London, he CANNOT be recalled.

They have decided to stick with the kid and will make allowances for his mistakes.

Next year, he would be eligable for the Monors and if he continues to struggle this year, then he will more than likely start next season in Hartford.

In the meantime, he's going to make mistakes....it's what 19 year olds do.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:20 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I get that. But he can be a "healthy scratch" can't he? Gilroy shouldn't be subject to being sent to the minors just because he is eligible to do so. Basically than you're saying its okay to punish Gilroy to make rookie mistakes because it is easier for them to do so?
that is exactly what is being said here.

And while you may not like it, and you may think it's wrong, not all rookies are treated the same.

The fact of the matter is that a 6 year difference provides for alot more maturity in one's approach to playing this game.

Yes, they are both rookies, but the maturity level is night and day and you can't expect it not to be.

Gilroy should be held to a higher standard. He should be better prepared mentally to play in the NHL and if he's not doing what the team is asking him to do, then he gets sent to the minors.

Do what the coaches ask and if you make a mistake....it's not the end of the world.

Don't do what the coaches ask and still make mistakes....then you are punished.

It's a simple equation.

Old
12-14-2009, 08:45 AM
LamoTheKid

vCash: 500
couldn't agree with you more PLD, great post.

the fact that people are so desperate to point fingers that we're not doing that to a 19 yea rold rookie that no one even expected to make the team. Gilroy is 24 people, not 19, thats why he gets sent down.

I also find it funny that people are clamoring for Taylor Hall on this team, yet arent patient enough to let the kids mature. Everyone thinks because of Crosby, Malkin and Ovie that you ge tthe first pick and boonm, the kid instantly becomes a start. THIS IS NOT THE CASE PEOPLE. Those 3 are generational talents. Kids dont always just instantly step in and become PPG players.

DZ is coming down to earth, sheesh. He's the LEAST of our problems on this team right now.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Levitate

I mean, I haven't been watching games super closely lately, but I don't really see where Del Zotto is playing poorly or anything. His defense isn't bad (it may not be great but he's not really struggling there), he doesn't look overwhelmed, he's playing alright out there. I wouldn't say he's struggling at all.

not looking as good as he did at the start of the season? sure, but can't say he looks bad either.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:48 AM
RangerBlueJay*

A 19 year old rookie versus a 25 year old NHL "rookie"? Please, couldn't disagree more with the OP here, ridiculous.

RangerBlueJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:09 AM
SkerZ
LGR

He passes better then Gilroy has better vision then Gilroy and a whole lot better of a shot then Gilroy.. A free pass no he is making a few mistakes that are going to happen from a rookie..And he has been on the incline in the defensive zone he uses his body well and has great positioning..

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:26 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
that is exactly what is being said here.

And while you may not like it, and you may think it's wrong, not all rookies are treated the same.

The fact of the matter is that a 6 year difference provides for alot more maturity in one's approach to playing this game.

Yes, they are both rookies, but the maturity level is night and day and you can't expect it not to be.

Gilroy should be held to a higher standard. He should be better prepared mentally to play in the NHL and if he's not doing what the team is asking him to do, then he gets sent to the minors.

Do what the coaches ask and if you make a mistake....it's not the end of the world.

Don't do what the coaches ask and still make mistakes....then you are punished.

It's a simple equation.
I don't understand what you're saying, there's way too much logic and thought in this post. Stop thinking rationally

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's no coincidence that once MDZ came down to earth the powerplay did too.
Or is it Kotalik?

The PP, in general, looks completely different than it used to. I'm not sure you can just pin it on one person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
The likes of Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, Gilory, Anisimov are marginal 2nd/3rd string talent that will not win us any games....
I disagree with that. This sounds like a good cast to put around Henrik and Gabby even if it's not paying dividends at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
What does MDZ have in commin with the rest of the team? Everything.
Yah, there's got to be more to story than a grouping of players who collectively and simultaneously just look incapable of winning an NHL game.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Sure, make it sound like a negative. Right on, negative man.
If saying he isn't the Rookie of the Year is negative than your opinion of objective must be that the Rangers have been robbed every single game this year by the refs and that in reality there is great talent littered all over the roster.

Z is an offensively gifted player who at this point in his career is a negative at even-strength. Hopefully, that will change. It should.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:29 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well this year the answer would have been "Cherepanov"

But I think it's pretty impossible to blame the Rangers for that one...
Cherepanov might have been the answer but we will never know but name any "answers" since Sather took over.

One offensively gifted forward would be a wonderful thing. The Rangers should have had two or three by now. Zero is unacceptable except to morons and pom-pom wavers.

Old
12-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Levitate

hey I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure Cherepanov would have been that guy we know this team needs.

For a team as poorly run as the Rangers have been, they really didn't need another kick in the balls like they got out of that deal. The 2007 draft turned from "got one of the most skilled players in the 1st round and looks like it'll turn out very well!" to "complete bust". At this point it looks like Hagelin is the only legit prospect out of that draft...if it had been "hey the Rangers got a 1st line player and a 3rd line player with speed and some offensive skills" that's not a bad draft. Not great, but not bad.

Instead it's "well **** I hope that guy who looks like a good third liner will actually pan out"

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
hey I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure Cherepanov would have been that guy we know this team needs.

For a team as poorly run as the Rangers have been, they really didn't need another kick in the balls like they got out of that deal. The 2007 draft turned from "got one of the most skilled players in the 1st round and looks like it'll turn out very well!" to "complete bust". At this point it looks like Hagelin is the only legit prospect out of that draft...if it had been "hey the Rangers got a 1st line player and a 3rd line player with speed and some offensive skills" that's not a bad draft. Not great, but not bad.

Instead it's "well **** I hope that guy who looks like a good third liner will actually pan out"
Good teams can survive a kick in the balls. Bad teams wilt.

It's amazing how bad this team is. They have one of the most potent offensive forces in the game and can't score goals.

You can argue that the Islanders have been able to acquire talent by stinking but Lamoriello has gotten Parise, Zajac and Bergfors while drafting behind the Rangers every year.

Arguing about whether Torts or Renney is the problem is a smokescreen for the problems that have fallen on this team. One man has crushed an organization and yet he still has some defensers. It's amazing.

They should be chanting for Sather's head at the games but perhaps we are all numb from the amount of money we are now handing over to the Dolans to watch an inferior product. Even if it was a decent product, the prices have finally gotten to me. This is my last year giving them money on a regular basis.

Old
12-14-2009, 04:16 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Kotalik is the reason our powerplay sucks, and I'm not even joking. He has no clue how to rush the puck up and every times he gets it he just shoots, he is a ****ing idiot. We finally have a QB who can pass it and a shooter, but we never set it up. Kotalik is retarded when it comes to hockey IQ, and he has no clue what to do with the puck. Taking slapshots from the hashmarks with nobody in front isn't going to get you a goal, tell that to Captain Clutch also. For some reason half the time Del Zotto and Kotalik are on the wrong sides of the points, and since we have a bunch of incompetent idiots on the ice nobody knows how to shift and make it work. Look at Green and OV for Washington's powerplay, Green gets the puck and if they are on opposite sides they simply switch, it's not rocket science.

Del Zotto gives incredible passes every game, but for some reason Callahan doesn't remember how to stickhandle or shoot, so he misses every time. I think having Dubinsky back will really help the team, because besides Gaborik he is the only player on the team with the speed and skill to take a breakout pass and bring it up the ice.

I bet if MDZ had 5 more points in the last few games this wouldn't even be a thread about him, because he has been fine in the defensive zone.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:23 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post

It's amazing how bad this team is. They have one of the most potent offensive forces in the game and can't score goals.

You can argue that the Islanders have been able to acquire talent by stinking but Lamoriello has gotten Parise, Zajac and Bergfors while drafting behind the Rangers every year.

Arguing about whether Torts or Renney is the problem is a smokescreen for the problems that have fallen on this team. One man has crushed an organization and yet he still has some defensers. It's amazing.

They should be chanting for Sather's head at the games but perhaps we are all numb from the amount of money we are now handing over to the Dolans to watch an inferior product. Even if it was a decent product, the prices have finally gotten to me. This is my last year giving them money on a regular basis.
Well, just so you know, I am going to the game on 01/04/10 and I will be bringing my brown paper bag to ear and I will be putting black take across "Rangers" on my jersey.

Old
12-14-2009, 04:27 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I'm all for criticism but I think this thread is a little ridiculous. He's 19.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:33 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Or is it Kotalik?

The PP, in general, looks completely different than it used to. I'm not sure you can just pin it on one person.

I disagree with that. This sounds like a good cast to put around Henrik and Gabby even if it's not paying dividends at the moment.

Yah, there's got to be more to story than a grouping of players who collectively and simultaneously just look incapable of winning an NHL game.
I just think MDZ and Gaborik have a lot more to do with it than Kotalik. Kotalik just sits back and rips shots (usuaully high and/or wide) on the PP. MDZ and Gaborik play a much bigger role in moving the puck, and MDZ actually understands to keep his shot low and accurate.

Also...Bergfors is just a player on a hot streak right now IMO. He's comparable to Callahan. Dubinsky could end up being just like Zajac, that being a low end 1st line center that would be better suited on the 2nd line. I don't want to talk about Parise, or that draft class. We could've had so many good players but went with Jessiman, lol

Last edited by RangerFan10: 12-14-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old
12-14-2009, 04:37 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:

The problem with this is how much we had invested in Cherepanov. We couldn't afford that kick in the balls given our cap situation. Sather made all efforts in free agency and made some of the wrong decisions(big surprise).

Old
12-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

The fire Sather chants will be coming in short order, if the losing continues. But, I do think people are a little numb/in shock about how bad the team looks right now and how quickly the wheels came off.

Teams are supposed to get better as they get to know each other on the ice--this team collapsed when they got to know each other.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:07 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

MDZ is one of the only bright spots on this team. I have visions of him passing to Hall or Seguin next year.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:58 AM
stickcheck09

So I know it is probably not the wisest choice for my first post, since plenty of people will disagree with it, but I've been lurking for over a year and just registered.

I was at the game last night and yes, MDZ has incredible passing ability and vision. But what completely frustrates me about him is his complete lack of backchecking. Ever. He gets caught deep, and then lets the forwards get back for him as he saunters vaguely back to his own zone, watching the opposition shoot on net.

Gilroy has his own slew of problems, and does not have the passing talent or playmaking ability of MDZ at all, but when he gets caught, at least he realizes he screwed up and hustles back! I don't care if you can't make it back for the initial shot, but as a defenseman, it is your job to skate like hell back to your own zone and make sure no one can pot a rebound, not hang at the red line watching the play unfold.

stickcheck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:08 AM
LamoTheKid

The kid was fantastic last night. Sure, his defensive side needs work, but that can be learned. Offense is a lot harder to learn (RE: Staal) and its just naturally there. 2 more years and this kid is going to be a stud.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickcheck09 View Post
So I know it is probably not the wisest choice for my first post, since plenty of people will disagree with it, but I've been lurking for over a year and just registered.

I was at the game last night and yes, MDZ has incredible passing ability and vision. But what completely frustrates me about him is his complete lack of backchecking. Ever. He gets caught deep, and then lets the forwards get back for him as he saunters vaguely back to his own zone, watching the opposition shoot on net.

Gilroy has his own slew of problems, and does not have the passing talent or playmaking ability of MDZ at all, but when he gets caught, at least he realizes he screwed up and hustles back! I don't care if you can't make it back for the initial shot, but as a defenseman, it is your job to skate like hell back to your own zone and make sure no one can pot a rebound, not hang at the red line watching the play unfold.
Welcome newbie. Read below, my opinion for the most part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
The kid was fantastic last night. Sure, his defensive side needs work, but that can be learned. Offense is a lot harder to learn (RE: Staal) and its just naturally there. 2 more years and this kid is going to be a stud.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
ChrisModem

This is what happens when you throw a 19 yr old in the deep end. Ideally his NHL development should be with a quality team where his defensive shortcomings are less detrimental, but the truth is we are not that team.

If we look at the last game the best scoring chances came from his offensive vision. Whatever he lacks is far outweighed by what he is currently adding and for that he must stay.

ChrisModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:48 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Michael Del Zotto is on pace for over 50 (56?) points, if John Tavares gets 70, does Del Zotto get the calder?

I think he'd deserve it more.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:55 AM
OverTheCap

DZ has to improve his defensive game, but his breakout passes are a thing of beauty.

Torts gave him a lot of credit last night for turning around the PP, saying that he runs the PP and his vision is excellent. DZ is the PP QB we've been looking for since Leetch, yet people still find reason to whine about him? I guess they long for the days of Poti manning the PP....

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote