HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kris Letang

Old
12-14-2009, 05:29 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Regarding Gonchar,
something we may be overlooking is the KHL factor. When Sarge suits up for Russia in the Olympics, do you think somebody from the KHL may approach and start getting in his ear about the possibility of playing over there next season? I hadn't thought about it at all, but it may be something to think about.

Ideally, we win it all again and let Sarge ride off into the sunset wherever he wants to go.

I know factually that Gonchar loves and spends a lot of time in Toronto. I see Toronto as the only other city he would really want to play for besides Pittsburgh, although the point about Miami (and the fact that many of his Torontonian friends spend time in Florida in the winter) does make some sense.

And thus, the KHL would be of no interest to him.

He'll end up signing in Pittsburgh, or he'll sign in Toronto and they'll trade Kaberle, IMO.

If I were Shero, I would make every effort to resign him for the next 2 or 3 years. He is too good to let go of.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I know factually that Gonchar loves and spends a lot of time in Toronto. I see Toronto as the only other city he would really want to play for besides Pittsburgh, although the point about Miami (and the fact that many of his Torontonian friends spend time in Florida in the winter) does make some sense.

And thus, the KHL would be of no interest to him.

He'll end up signing in Pittsburgh, or he'll sign in Toronto and they'll trade Kaberle, IMO.

If I were Shero, I would make every effort to resign him for the next 2 or 3 years. He is too good to let go of.
What's Gonchar connection to Toronto?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 05:59 PM
hockeydadx2*

Letang's overrated here. He's not getting $3.5million/yr from the Pens when he's still a RFA.

And I'm not worried about someone taking him with an offer sheet. Right now he's all future potential and present inconsistency. The Pens have an awful PP, and he can't even make the first unit. He's not a PP quarterback, and probably never will be. He's probably a solid #3 guy at his max, as I don't see him being a top pairing guy on a contender.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 06:02 PM
SirJordanStaal11*

Gonchar in Toronto? Don't really buy that. He isn't a Burke type player and I can't imagine that he would want to deal with the media there, shy as he is.

SirJordanStaal11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
Letang's overrated here. He's not getting $3.5million/yr from the Pens when he's still a RFA.

And I'm not worried about someone taking him with an offer sheet. Right now he's all future potential and present inconsistency. The Pens have an awful PP, and he can't even make the first unit. He's not a PP quarterback, and probably never will be. He's probably a solid #3 guy at his max, as I don't see him being a top pairing guy on a contender.
Letang regularly plays about 22 minutes a night. He plays special teams. He moves the puck himself out of trouble with great mobility. He hits. He can move the puck with the passing game, though that's one of the things he lacks consistency with. And the shooting is his main weakness.

How much do you think players like that are worth? Yeah, about $3.5 million/year.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 07:29 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Letang: 6yr/$21 million

Done deal.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:31 PM
JTG

Quote:
Regarding Gonchar,
something we may be overlooking is the KHL factor. When Sarge suits up for Russia in the Olympics, do you think somebody from the KHL may approach and start getting in his ear about the possibility of playing over there next season? I hadn't thought about it at all, but it may be something to think about.

Ideally, we win it all again and let Sarge ride off into the sunset wherever he wants to go.
Well, I'd rather lose him there than anywhere else.

I'm not for nor against bringing Sarge back. Both have their positives...both have their negatives.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:08 PM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Letang regularly plays about 22 minutes a night. He plays special teams. He moves the puck himself out of trouble with great mobility. He hits. He can move the puck with the passing game, though that's one of the things he lacks consistency with. And the shooting is his main weakness.

How much do you think players like that are worth? Yeah, about $3.5 million/year.
Talk to me around July 1st and we'll see. You may be right that some fool might give him that much, but I don't think RS will.

Letang's too indecisive with the puck on his stick, either with shooting or passing. He's seemingly got all the tools, but can't seem to put it all together. It was virtually assumed he'd be on the first PP unit at some point, but that time has come and gone. If you check his numbers on www.behindthenet.ca, and compare him to other D-men on the team, you may be surprised at his PK stats in particular. He plays special teams, but not all that well.

In addition, if you look at http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce, you will note that he is actually 6th among the top 6 in PK time. I don't think they have as much confidence in him on the PK as they do the other defensemen.

This would seem to mitigate against a big payday for him, unless something seriously changes between now and the end of the season.

Last edited by hockeydadx2*: 12-14-2009 at 09:14 PM.
hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Would you rather let Sarge play as a Pen knowing that this may be his last hurray and let him ride off into the sunset after another deep playoff run, or would you rather deal him to another contender at the deadline so we can get something of value back, but will lose a valuable playoff contributor ourselves?

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:49 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

I would like to say offer Letang the same deal as gogo, but gogo is a steal and a different team will top GMRS's offer. I think Letang is a helluva player slightly indecisive at times, but he's not awful by any means. He would be a fine compliment to Gogo for a few years to come. As far as Sarge goes... I would love for him to stay but not for 5mil a year... But if the right deal comes, say a package deal for a real winger... then adios and goodluck.

sEmowashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:07 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant In The Room View Post
Would you rather let Sarge play as a Pen knowing that this may be his last hurray and let him ride off into the sunset after another deep playoff run, or would you rather deal him to another contender at the deadline so we can get something of value back, but will lose a valuable playoff contributor ourselves?
If it were possible, trading Sarge wouldn't even be on my radar.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:29 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
What's Gonchar connection to Toronto?

Toronto has a large, prominent Russian community and several of his closest friends live here.

He gave the Leafs the chance to sign him before he signed with the Pens and they weren't interested, luckily for us.

Old
12-14-2009, 10:33 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin a shake View Post
Gonchar in Toronto? Don't really buy that. He isn't a Burke type player and I can't imagine that he would want to deal with the media there, shy as he is.

Burke said his primary reason for not trading Kaberle would be because he would then "spend the rest of the summer trying to find a puck-moving defenseman" to replace Kaberle.

If Gonch wanted to sign in Toronto, Burke could then, theoretically, trade Kaberle for solid young assets for the future and have his puck-moving Dman for the present.

It's just smart asset management. But it might be even smarter to just re-sign Kaberle for life when his career is done, as he is younger than Gonch.

Old
12-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
If it were possible, trading Sarge wouldn't even be on my radar.
Why not?

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
If we didn't have Gonchar, we would probably trade for an offensive Dman for the playoff run. Plus, contenders are never sellers at the deadline. I say keep him.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
That seems to be very much a non-starter though, doesn't it? Ignoring that Sarge is one of few Pens players with NTC's, when did an obvious Stanley Cup contender deal its Nr.1 defenseman who logs significantly more ice time than anyone else on the team, and has a higher PPG average than all but two defenders in the league - after coming back from injury and with a PP that is non-existant.
Sarge isn't going anywhere, and Shero will stretch to re-sign him.

As for Letang, like hockeydad I think his ice-time flatters to deceive. With Gonchar's D having taken a hit, this team just does not have that much of an obvious first pairing 5 on 5 anymore and everyone plays significant minutes. We have three good pairings but none that are great, although in relative terms, Goligoski/McKee is a great third pairing.

Anyway, Letang does have all the tools and he is only 22. If we had the cap-room, I would absolutely want to lock him up long term and have a nice discount when he puts his talents together and learn to make that RH shot an actual weapon. But seeing as he hasn't done that yet and is one of our least consistent performers on D, and we're pretty much max'ed out... then IMO you have make a business decision and make him earn a better contract next time around. Perhaps that means you end up paying more for the long haul, but extra cap-room in an obvious 'win the cup' window should be well worth that.

I'm with Burgs, keep him RFA, keep it under 3 million. Re-think if there's an offer sheet. Letang has no leverage unless one is incoming. Perhaps make it a two year offer just to make it easier for him to swallow accepting a genuine discount with the prospect of having a real pay day soon enough.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sEmowashere View Post
I would like to say offer Letang the same deal as gogo, but gogo is a steal and a different team will top GMRS's offer. I think Letang is a helluva player slightly indecisive at times, but he's not awful by any means. He would be a fine compliment to Gogo for a few years to come. As far as Sarge goes... I would love for him to stay but not for 5mil a year... But if the right deal comes, say a package deal for a real winger... then adios and goodluck.
Goligoski's contract was given after 40 NHL games. At the time, I thought it was an overpayment. Now, Goligoski has proved that it is a true steal.

Letang is far more proven than Gogo was this past offseason. If he demands $3.5 mill, I think he will get it. And I would be completely fine with it. He's a future #2 dman. Hell, he's already arguably our #3.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:31 PM
jdpitt05

He shouldn't get anything over 3.5. He has skills, but doesn't produce points. He plays decent defense, but not shut down D. He has a hard shot, but doesn't score from it. The one thing he excels at is his skating. I would be offering him 3-3.25.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:22 AM
invictus

I just don't see Kris taking anything less than 3, so I think 3-3.5 is the sweet spot, it is the years that are up for debate.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:02 AM
SirJordanStaal11*

In my opinion you guys are incredibly spoiled. We have one of the best defenses in the entire league. We probably have the best defense in the East, as a matter of fact.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
In my opinion you guys are incredibly spoiled. We have one of the best defenses in the entire league. We probably have the best defense in the East, as a matter of fact.
What kind of fact is that though? Considering the teams in the East that have a better defensive record? New Jersey, Buffalo, Boston.

I think we have the best offense/defense balance in the East, and perhaps the league, but our defense as such is only highly competitive because our bottom six is definitely top2 in the league, hence always insuring that there's good support for the D.
The strength of our D is the ability to support the offense rather than the ability to keep pucks out of the net and limit chances in front of Fleury, IMO.

Old
12-15-2009, 03:37 AM
SirJordanStaal11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
What kind of fact is that though? Considering the teams in the East that have a better defensive record? New Jersey, Buffalo, Boston.

I think we have the best offense/defense balance in the East, and perhaps the league, but our defense as such is only highly competitive because our bottom six is definitely top2 in the league, hence always insuring that there's good support for the D.
The strength of our D is the ability to support the offense rather than the ability to keep pucks out of the net and limit chances in front of Fleury, IMO.
All three of the teams you named have better goalies and play more defensive systems than the Penguins do. In terms of a blueline(not overall team defense) the Pens blueline is a huge strength of this team and I would take our blueline over any of the three teams you mentioned.

And you're right, it is because of the depth, not necessarily because of big names.

Old
12-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
All three of the teams you named have better goalies and play more defensive systems than the Penguins do. In terms of a blueline(not overall team defense) the Pens blueline is a huge strength of this team and I would take our blueline over any of the three teams you mentioned.

And you're right, it is because of the depth, not necessarily because of big names.
I don't disagree with any of what you said there, for the record. By the same token though, Philly surely have a more impressive defensive group than we do, but with inferior goaltending and bottom 6 forwards (more so with their present injuries). So, either you look at individuals or you look at results. If you look at the latter, other teams play better D than we do.

But all that said - in a thread about Kris Letang, it isn't being spoiled discussing what the best strategy is with respect to his next contract.
He might be the most valuable asset on defense and have the most unrealized potential going forward (with Goligoski on both accounts), but I feel that presently Letang is the least important on our top6 for the overall performance and efficiency of the D/team. McKee plays much better defense and adds league leading block numbers which this team needs. Eaton's D is at least a level above Letangs and he even produces as much offensively. Goligoski and Sarge are no-brainers right now, and Orpik's physicality and defense advantage on Letang makes him obviously more important right now as well.

I think this should have consequences when managing the cap - at least until Letang forces things to change with 'core-personel' level performances, and at least when we're up against the cap with a win-now team.

Old
12-15-2009, 06:09 AM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

Non-Pens fan here:

Letang was so instrumental to your team last year in the playoffs when Gonchar went down. He showed that he is a top pairing guy, IMO. I don't know how Shero will do it, but I just cannot see the Pens letting Letang go. He is one of the top young Dmen in this league.

Hopefully you guys find a way.

WADEugottaBELAKthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:51 AM
wej20

Quote:
Assuming the goal is to repeat then trading Gonchar is a non starter.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote