HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danton

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Demitra #38

vCash: 500
Danton

Wow, arrested in SJ by the FBI for murder conspirecy.

Old
04-16-2004, 06:18 PM

That's freakin' surreal...

PrussianBlue

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 04-16-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old
04-16-2004, 09:13 PM
not quite yoda

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=80442

If it had to happen, I am not surprised it was Danton. The guy has been in controversy his whole career. Trade demands, refusing to report, changing his name... And he's only 23.

Old
04-16-2004, 09:19 PM

Why was my post edited?

All it was was a link to a story on the incident.

Old
04-16-2004, 09:20 PM
GBailey93

Send a message via AIM to GBailey93
Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=80442

If it had to happen, I am not surprised it was Danton. The guy has been in controversy his whole career. Trade demands, refusing to report, changing his name... And he's only 23.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_sp/mdf528059

St. Louis Blues (news) center Mike Danton was arrested by FBI (news - web sites) agents on April 16, on charges he tried to hire someone to murder a man who had apparently been his lover, according to court documents. The target of the plot, when interviewed by the FBI, said 'that he and Danton had a severe argument on April 13 concerning Danton's promiscuity and use of alcohol.' (NHL via Reuters)

Old
04-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Epoch

Unbelievable. But then again, it's Danton.

Old
04-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anyone know why he changed his name? I've never been able to find out.

Old
04-16-2004, 11:59 PM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Does anyone know why he changed his name? I've never been able to find out.
Mike Jefferson/Danton has long and sad and sordid history with his family. Basically, I believe his home life was pretty bad. Don't know much of the details, but he changed his name to distance himself from them.

Speaking of sad things... here is a link to the PDF of the court documents.

Link

Old
04-17-2004, 01:21 AM
randy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by exterminator-x
Mike Jefferson/Danton has long and sad and sordid history with his family. Basically, I believe his home life was pretty bad. Don't know much of the details, but he changed his name to distance himself from them.

Speaking of sad things... here is a link to the PDF of the court documents.

Link
He took the name Danton because it was the first name of a little guy at a hockey camp Mike attended. He thought the name was cool.

Does anyone know whether David Frost (his agent) was the intended victim?

Old
04-17-2004, 02:10 AM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
I'm speechless. What an odd end to an odd Blues season.

I don't think that everything has come out though.

Old
04-17-2004, 07:38 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Stankonia
I'm speechless. What an odd end to an odd Blues season.

I don't think that everything has come out though.
Oh how true I think those words are.

Old
04-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Mathletic

what a dumb ass

Old
04-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Los Tiburones

In the story I read on Yahoo, it said that he was worried that the target "would leave him." Any chance that Danton is gay?

Old
04-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Tiburones
In the story I read on Yahoo, it said that he was worried that the target "would leave him." Any chance that Danton is gay?
It's likely, judging from media reports.

Old
04-17-2004, 10:19 AM
slowpoke

David Frost/Danton/Jefferson et al

http://www.sunmedia.ca/DunlopAwards/frost.html

Here's an article on Frost and his players from 1999.

Old
04-17-2004, 10:47 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Tiburones

Gee, how long did it take for you to come up with THAT observation (grin.)

The magic 8-ball says: THERE'S A GOOD CHANCE.

Old
04-17-2004, 10:49 AM
gallagher

the intended target was his roommate, according to the report.

Old
04-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Irish Blues

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Any comments on whether or not Mike Danton is gay should be carefully considered before they are posted. While it's interesting IMO that everyone in St. Louis has heavily emphasized that the roommate who was the alleged target was Danton's "male acquaintance", it does *not* mean that this person was Danton's gay lover, that Danton is gay, or anything else along those lines.

If you're not sure whether you should make a comment that falls in this area...play it safe and don't make it. Let's see what else is said about the investigation before jumping to conclusions and making ridiculous statements that might lead to you getting tossed.

Now, back to the thread already in progress....

IB

04-17-2004, 11:40 AM
S.D.Willie

Send a message via AIM to S.D.Willie
wow, i see my post was pulled out of here because i assumed danton was a homosexual. big deal. theyre everywhere in the world and they dont bother me in the least. but dont remove my post because i offered my opinion. thats what these messageboards are for arent they?

Old
04-17-2004, 12:08 PM
King of Stankonia

IB (love the new user title BTW),
I hope that everyone here realises the gravity of the situation and the fact that most of the stories being bandied about are interpretations of the stories that have come out. There is no "proof" that we have that would show that Mike Danton is gay, nor is there any crime if Danton were indeed gay.

Although this is bordering on a topic for The Lounge, if Danton were indeed gay, I think it would explain a lot of his perceived anti-social behaviour. I for one can not offer insight into NHL locker room perceptions of homosexuality, but I can tell you that even just working with guys in a social environment (I work at a bar) that homosexuality is at the least a source of humour for many, but also masks an intense fear/hatred by some; I can only assume that such attitudes would be far more intense in an atmosphere such as an ultra-male competitive hockey locker room. If Danton were gay, and it was known in the NHL's inner circles, I'm sure that prevailing attitudes of many males towards homosexuality would make things for Danton awkward to say in the least. Not to blame "society" for making Danton a wierd person, but being treated like someone with a contagious illness is bound to cause people to become reclusive and dangerous in all but the strongest of wills.

I think it was four or five years ago when stories were coming out about gay athletes and how stereotypes were being eliminated and attitudes being changed. If the "assumptions" being made about Danton are true, it's quite obvious that overall attitudes have not changed, and that things must still be done. We already have laws in place that are supposed to prevent discrimination of any kind based on, in this case sexual preference, a broad spectrum of group affiliations such as race, gender, ethnicity, religion, etc., but they are not being followed in North America (especially being ignored by the self-declared "Leader of the Free World" but that's a different discussion unto it's own), or even most of the world.

It's time to educate and "un-discriminate" and be generally accepting of other beliefs and practices, or to at least tolerate them. If Scottish Protestants and Catholics could put aside their differences for my Grandparents marriage, why can't others cast aside their pre-concieved notions/stereo-types/misconceptions and just learn to deal with one another civilly?

I apologise for turning this into a Lounge rant BTW

Old
04-17-2004, 12:13 PM
King of Stankonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.Willie
wow, i see my post was pulled out of here because i assumed danton was a homosexual. big deal. theyre everywhere in the world and they dont bother me in the least. but dont remove my post because i offered my opinion. thats what these messageboards are for arent they?
Your post was probably removed for legal reasons, i.e. if Danton is not gay he could file libel charges against both you and the board for spreading the lie.

Also, it's against the HFBoard rules:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFBoard rules
1) If Posts containing any of the following are posted, the post (and the thread if it is the first post) mayl be deleted fully, or edited. In addition, offending posters accounts may be deleted and an IP ban may be put in place. . . b) Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel.
also

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFBoard rules
k)Attacking the moderators for editing, deleting, closing or moving your posts. If you did something to cause this to happen, accept it and move on. If you feel you have a legitimate grievance email me using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Complaints anywhere else will be deleted or moved. If you attack the moderators you can expect to be banned. Regular Users are also not to try to moderate other users. Problematic posts should be reported using the Report Post feature or by PM'ing a moderator directly.

Old
04-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.Willie
You post was removed because you "offered your opinion" in an accusatory and disparaging way. If you have an issue with it, PM me.

Irish Blues has very neatly summarized what will be, as far as I'm concerned, the "official" position on this subject at this board.

PrussianBlue

Old
04-17-2004, 12:38 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

here is the way I see it, and I think this is "appropriate"...

Danton was involved whith an aquiantance...and he didn't want the aquantance to break up with him....so he planned to have him killed...so he couldn't break up with him and so that he wouldn't be able to tell the Blues Mngmnt about something...presumably that he was involved with a man...so he hired a hit man to go kill him, but the aquantance realized it and called the police...and then the aquantance called Danton, and talked to him, and the police recorded the statements, in which he says that he felt his back was against the wall and then he procedes to say that he did set the whole thing up...Leter, to try to save himself, he says that he felt his life was in danger...

This is the way I see/understand this ugly situation.

and on a different note...
I think the mods here could be a little leinate to the posters, it is a MESSAGE BOARD, where your MESSAGES are to be READ by others...just because they contain certain words does not mean they were used in a derogitory fashion.

Old
04-17-2004, 12:43 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Drake
the intended target was his roommate, according to the report.
And guess who's name Danton's appartment is under..... that's right David Frost, his agent. But anyone who read this article, (posted earlier in the thread) would understand his name (Frost's) being on the appartment may just be another example of Frost manipulating and controlling Danton/jefferson's life.

Also the target had argued about going to GM Pleau and "ruining his career", I highly doubt some premiscuous "lover" would have the ear of Larry Pleau and neither would a random friend from Canada. (even if they got a hold of Pleau, would he take some strangers word into serious account) Danton may not be a genious, but surely he would know someone without stature could not single handidly derail his career.

Also Frost is old enough to pass himself off as Danton's father. As the man who yelled down from the balcony did. Danton has written off his family and Frost has been his mentor since he was a kid, so it is a very old relationship and given the wide speculation about Frost completely brainwashing these kids (Danton included) and controlling their every move..... you would have to think Frost leaving would be devastateing and this is why Danton said he was affraid the person (man) was going to leave him. Just speculation.... so it may not be a gay thing, unless Frost is the Graham James type. I kind of thought by the sounds of things Wolfmeyer was his girlfriend.
This bizzarre stuff, if Danton was a star player this story would have movie witten all over it.

Old
04-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7
and on a different note...
I think the mods here could be a little leinate to the posters, it is a MESSAGE BOARD, where your MESSAGES are to be READ by others...just because they contain certain words does not mean they were used in a derogitory fashion.
I think PB will agree with me on this: our position is to pretty much allow everyone's thoughts here unless they run up against board guidelines. If anyone were to come out and say, "Gee, I guess it's a surprise Danton didn't live in the Central West End with all the other flit-boys", that would be *well* over the line and would be deleted if not subject to further discipline. Speculating on why Danton would want a "male acquaintance" bumped off would be fine and would be alloowed unless, as I said, it bumped up against board guidelines.

My wife and I spent well over an hour last night swapping comments about this story and laughing our tails off...but I'm not sure many of those comments could be posted here. We had 3 great comments tying the Cardinals and this story together but I couldn't post any of them here. Thus...if you're not sure whether it's safe to say, it probably isn't. If nothing else, PM us and we'll let you know whether it's safe or not.

Is Danton gay? (EDIT: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...9&section=news so posters may comment about him being gay...but watch the guidelines posted earlier in this thread.)

The main point to be made here is that this probably puts an end to Danton's NHL career, whether he's straight, gay, guilty or innocent. That's the real issue - what effect will this have on his career? I think this ends it, meaning the Blues may have to go find a 4th-line center for '04-05 assuming they don't bring back Martins or pomote from within.

Last edited by Irish Blues: 04-17-2004 at 01:32 PM.
Closed Thread