HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks pending UFAs and RFAs

Old
12-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1706
Sharks pending UFAs and RFAs

I know it is early, but what do you think Wilson is going to do in the offseason (besides lifting the cup)?

Marleau UFA
Pavelski RFA
Setoguchi RFA
Nichol UFA
Shelley UFA
Malhotra UFA
Ortmeyer UFA
Blake UFA
Joslin RFA
Staubitz RFA
Nabokov UFA

Potential trades?
Intriguing free agents?

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:41 AM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
I know it is early, but what do you think Wilson is going to do in the offseason (besides lifting the cup)?

Marleau UFA
Pavelski RFA
Setoguchi RFA
Nichol UFA
Shelley UFA
Malhotra UFA
Ortmeyer UFA
Blake UFA
Joslin RFA
Staubitz RFA
Nabokov UFA

Potential trades?
Intriguing free agents?
Marleau UFA - I hope he's re-signed, but I have this feeling he won't be.
Pavelski RFA - 4m for 4 years
Setoguchi RFA - 4m for 3 years
Nichol UFA - 750k for 1 year
Shelley UFA - not re-signed (by anyone I suspect)
Malhotra UFA - 2m for 3 years, but not by us
Ortmeyer UFA - 650k for 1 year
Blake UFA - not re-signed
Joslin RFA - 1m for 3 years
Staubitz RFA - not re-signed (McClaren takes his spot)
Nabokov UFA - not re-signed.

Potential trades?

Cannot be terribly specific, but I suspect some combination of Clowe, Mitchell, Couture, Joslin, Vesce for a top 4 defensemen

Intriguing free agents?

Who knows, way too early.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
CBJenga

Marleau - I think it's important we resign him. (hopefully ~5m cap)
Pavelski - Same as Patty, but I hope more a 3.5-4 range
Setoguchi - Same as Pavs
Nichol - OMG, I want him back so bad. 750k-1M
Shelley - He can leave, I think, I like the guy, but we can fill that role without him.
Malhotra - Would love to resign, but I think we won't. Time to move McGinn/Vesce up full time.
Ortmeyer - OMG, I want him back so bad, same as Nichol.
Blake - Go away, just... go.
Joslin - 750k 1 way deal?
Staubitz - I wouldn't mind seeing him still in teal.
Nabokov - Not a cent more than 3.5, and then... I dunno, it'd be nice to really see the options.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Le Rosbeef

Dare I be controversial and say that if I could only re-sign 2 of 3 out of Marleau, Pavs and Seto, I'm thinking the first two would be my priority... cheap wingers with some upside should be easier to find than a franchise-type do-it-all forward who loves your club...

Maybe McGinn might be able to take that spot in the top 6 with more playing time (at, what, a 990k cap hit?)

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Kitten Mittons

Only the first four, please.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:57 AM
skilks
This is nightmare

Marleau - Zetterberg style deal I hope. At least 5 years. He loves SJ and will likely sign here for less than he could get as a free agent
Pavelski - Future captain, he will re-sign
Setoguchi - I would be shocked to see him not resign and considering his production has been bad as of late, we might be able to sign him for cheaper.
Nichol - IF DW doesn't resign him...epic FAIL
Shelley - Will go work in the offices for the Blue Jackets
Malhotra - Hard to say. I'd love to keep him for leadership over the minor league guys.
Ortmeyer - Same as Nichol.
Blake - Retires
Joslin - Re-sign him or use him as a trade token
Staubitz - I just don't want to see any other Sharks get beat down by him, but McLaren is a better forward.
Nabokov - Re-sign or trade token. There are other goalies who will become UFAs this season, so this could get interesting.

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Recommend looking at the stickied thread on the site: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=693797

Also -- Nem .... where is your handy dandy cap calculator located? It comes in handy for these discussions.

12-14-2009, 12:50 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Recommend looking at the stickied thread on the site: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=693797

Also -- Nem .... where is your handy dandy cap calculator located? It comes in handy for these discussions.
I believe it was in the off-season thread. I haven't updated it in forever. You might as well use the cap calc on capgeek.com

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 01:21 PM
CupfortheSharks

I think what happens in the playoffs will have a major impact on these decisions. The only deal I think MAY happen before the end of the year is a long term deal with Marleau. With everyone else (and maybe Marleau too) DW will wait until the summer to make his decisions.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
the only 2 i can see signed for long term, before the playoffs end are pavs and seto. i think wilson will wait on nabby and marleau till after the playoffs. if they both have good playoffs he will do everything in his power to sign them, if they don't do well, he might let them walk.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 01:49 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
If we lose Manny I will be mad, Same for Patrick.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:32 PM
ThorntonFan19

Setoguchi - I have a feeling he gets 50-55 points this year so i say 3.6 for 4 years.
Pavelski - Same as Seto.
Marleau - All depends on the playoffs. If he has a good playoffs I would do 5 for 5.
Nichol - .8 1 year
Ortmeyer - .8 1 year
Staubitz - .6 2 years
Nabokov - All depends on the playoffs. if he has a good playoffs i would do 3.5 for 2 years.

The rest go

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Anthony*

shelley and blake walk

miraculously re-sign the rest

Anthony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Matalvatz

Patty ~ Resign long term regardless of his playoff production. I want him to be our Modano that stays with the franchise. How about 5 years 5.25mil?

Pavs ~ Resign him to something like 4 years 3.5 like everyone else is saying. That's comparable to Clowe, and I think he's more valuable than Clowe.

Seto ~ A lot depends on what he does the rest of the year. I think he's a good player, but he's kinda the odd man out with Patty and Heatley on the top line. I feel there maybe cheaper options for a 2nd line winger. MAYBE use him as bait to get back a defenseman.

Blake/Nabby ~ If Blake doesn't retire, I think we should let him walk. Too expensive even though I like him. Nabby is getting older and I think if we resign him to another contract, we risk stalling our younger prospect's development. Traditionally, we've been a goalie factory, so I think we should trust Greiss and give him a chance...he's been great so far in my opinion. These two are where the sharks will save cap room.

Joslin ~ cheap contract for about 2 or 3 years. 750k - 1mil.

Nichol/Ortmeyer/Malhotra ~ This is a tough one, because I like all three of these guys and want to see them all back. I think Nichol would be willing to sign cheap, and maybe Ortmeyer too. Malhotra will be the problem, because he already took a pay cut this year. I would love to see him here for the next two years, maybe at 1.75m...I don't know if this is feasible, but that is a Mike Grier salary, and he is much more valuable than Grier.

Shelley/Staubitz ~ Gone. A lot of people bag on Shelley, but I'm one of those who believe he's not as bad as people say. Staubitz gets replaced by Frazer McLaren, who I really like.

Although we don't know how the playoffs will end, I'm basically thinking dynasty at this point, meaning the veterans will have to start sacrificing a little salary when they come up for new contracts (Marleau, Thornton, Nichol, Malhotra). The younger guys have earned raises, but the jury is still out for me on Seto. The weaknesses we will have will be on D and in goal.

The Clowe and Huskins contracts screwed everything up. Not so much the Heatley deal.

Matalvatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:47 PM
TurkeySandwich

Do we know when we will find out the salary cap next year? I'm assuming DW will wait until he has a clear idea of what he has to work with.

That being said, I know its a distinct possibility, but there is no way I can picture Marleau playing for another team.

TurkeySandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:50 PM
one2gamble

5@5.5, How is that going to breakdown?

Theres no way in hell patty signs for that. If he maintains his current production hes pretty much due for a freaking raise.

Marleau UFA - signed until the end of his career,7 to 8 years. No movement Clause for the first 5. Assuming hes even willing to still play here after all the **** hes taken over the last few years.

Pavelski RFA - If he signs for 3.5-4 for 4 you do it or you wait to see whats going on in the league.

Setoguchi RFA - Id sign him for 4 but its going to be interesting because its likely his production decreases over last year due to heatley.

Nichol UFA - Depends on what kind of money he wants
Shelley UFA - NO
Malhotra UFA - I venture towards yes but it depends on pavs/mitchells play. Hes going to want to double maybe tripple his money and I dont think hes worth that to the Sharks.
Ortmeyer UFA - So far so good, keep the salary low and I see no reason not sign him.
Blake UFA - NO
Joslin RFA - Yes, His cost wont will be minimal and hes serviceable with some upside over his current play.
Staubitz RFA - NO
Nabokov UFA - Depends on dollars and term. Id rather beef up the D and run a mid tier goalie at this point.

Last edited by one2gamble: 12-14-2009 at 03:56 PM.
one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:50 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post

Marleau UFA
Pavelski RFA
Setoguchi RFA
Nichol UFA
Shelley UFA
Malhotra UFA
Ortmeyer UFA
Blake UFA
Joslin RFA
Staubitz RFA
Nabokov UFA

Potential trades?
Intriguing free agents?
Marleau - I think he'll sign an extension before the end of the season
Pavelski - re-sign
Setoguchi - re-sign
Nichol -- depends on the season, probally resign as 4th line center.
Shelley - i think he'll not be resigned as Staubitz/McLaren can take his place
Malhotra - i'd probably not resign him as Culture will be ready and can take 3rd line center next season. I like him and might re-sign over Nichol.
Ortmeyer - depends on the season, probably resign as 4th liner.
Blake - probably resign for one more year, have to see how the season and playoffs turn out for him.
Joslin - re-sign.
Staubitz - not sure yet, probably get resigned.
Nabokov - I don't think he'll be resigned. Probably trade his rights after
the season before July 1st.

I think the most interesting aspect of the off season is do we trade for or sign a new NHL goalie or let the Griess, Stalock and Karlssenn compete for the starting job.

Last edited by VP and GM: 12-14-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: opps
VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:11 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
5@5.5, How is that going to breakdown?

Theres no way in hell patty signs for that. If he maintains his current production hes pretty much due for a freaking raise.

Marleau UFA - signed until the end of his career,7 to 8 years. No movement Clause for the first 5. Assuming hes even willing to still play here after all the **** hes taken over the last few years.

Pavelski RFA - If he signs for 3.5-4 for 4 you do it or you wait to see whats going on in the league.

Setoguchi RFA - Id sign him for 4 but its going to be interesting because its likely his production decreases over last year due to heatley.

Shelley UFA - NO
Malhotra UFA - I venture towards yes but it depends on pavs/mitchells play. Hes going to want to double maybe tripple his money and I dont think hes worth that to the Sharks.
Ortmeyer UFA - So far so good, keep the salary low and I see no reason not sign him.
Blake UFA - NO
Joslin RFA - Yes, His cost wont will be minimal and hes serviceable with some upside over his current play.
Staubitz RFA - NO
Nabokov UFA - Depends on dollars and term. Id rather beef up the D and run a mid tier goalie at this point.
Seto is in that window where he isn't arb eligible for another year. DW could use that for leverage. The only leverage Seto has is an offersheet. I agree about production issues possibly decreasing his demands as well. 20 goals and 30 goals are the two benchmarks they use for ELS and I wouldn't be surprised if they are benchmarks in non-ELS negotiations.

If Joslin doesn't go over 16min/game TOI, he will have a hard time going north of $1mil.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:17 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Imo if we are going to have to pay Seto 4mil we should just trade him for that top 4 guy, he is not worth that yet, especially the cap burden it would put on this team, im sure other teams would pay that but I hope its not us, Nichol and Manny are just as important at this point in time as it is always the 3rd and 4th lines being weak that attribute to alot of the playoff failure. Im thinking he will get a 1 year contract for 3 as he has not been up as long as Pavelski, I hope DW locks up pavs long term; 5 year contract minimum but I would be fine with even 10 if it gets his hit lower; 3.5 would be great.
I also agree that Nabakov should get paid 3.5 tops, 3 would be better even if it means signing him 3 or 4 years, but there is one guy thats going to be a ufa next year that I think would fit great and he would be cheap,Dan Ellis,before Rinne took over he carried them to the playoffs quite a few times.
idk if Patty would do 5 but I would be estatic, he might do a big F you to the team and go play for the kings or something but even if DW would have to pay him 6.5 for a longish contract I think they'll do it

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Tealblood

Nabokov will go to Russia. You heard it here first Whether he wins the cup or not. If he does then there's no reason to stay in the nhl he proved he can do it and with him getting older and older it's looking like this is his last chance, not sure how long the sharks can hold this talent together. If he doesn't...Then once again he's ashamed and just wants to get out. I guess if he really wanted he could go try a cheapish contract with a good young team that just needs a good goalie(I.e...kings maybe?)
But anyway, I think his years here are numbered even though we have noone better to replace him.

If we do win the cup marleau obviously wants to find another home where he can make big money. When you strip a guy of the C and bring in a new guy(heater) in a guy's contract year...he's more likely to listen to some offers. But he might end up staying because of the lower cap and fewer teams willing to pay big money. If he can get a decent 5m/yr contract here and stay with his buddy joe then he may do it. But if the kings or someone like that offers 6m/7m...or more? Might make him forget about joe a bit lol.

Pavs is a must. If we want to be competitive many years ahead then we've got to get him locked up for awhile. Cap might restrict how long that would be.

malhotra will want a bunch of money. He took a huge cut to come here. He may also discount if it looks to him like we'll have many more chances to win it in the next few seasons.

Blake will leave and maybe we can get rivet back? I wish.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:19 PM
ThorntonFan19

What is with our fan base not being able to understand slumps?

Clowe gets into a slump and people say that we need to trade him before he is untradable and look what he does.

Even if Seto has an off year it will lower his demand which could be a good thing.

Old
12-14-2009, 09:22 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble;22650020[B
]5@5.5, How is that going to breakdown?[/B]

Shelley UFA - NO
Blake UFA - NO
Staubitz RFA - NO
How did savard get 4 million a year? you never know

Old
12-14-2009, 09:48 PM
HipCzech
Just win the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
What is with our fan base not being able to understand slumps?

Clowe gets into a slump and people say that we need to trade him before he is untradable and look what he does.
You don't know? Everybody who posts here gives 110% in every minute of their lives. NOBODY ever slacks off. So they expect the Sharks to do the same.

HipCzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:16 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
How did savard get 4 million a year? you never know
savard signed a 7 year deal with a cap hit of around 4 million a year. He traded dollars for security. Patty can do the same but hes 2 years younger than savard, Patty can sign two more contracts to take him to retirement. A short big money deal for two or three years and then a five year lower cap hit deal. You have to make the contract worthwhile for him and the team. I dont see him doing a 5 year 25-30 million dollar deal because hes being underpaid and it takes him to 35 which is going to limit his contract options going forward.

As far as Clowe, half his points are bat **** lucky second assists. Hes still overpaid, he would have been golden for about a half a million less a year.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:22 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

The only way we keep the main four are if at least Clowe is traded. Marleau and Nabokov probably want to stay in SJ but they haven't ever taken discounts. Marleau knows he might be the best forward on the team and with Dany Heatleay making 7.5 I won't be surprised if he asks for 7 a year.

Nabokov also will probably try to get paid at least what he is getting paid now.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote