HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks pending UFAs and RFAs

Old
12-19-2009, 11:24 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
OP - you've shortened the list to look at

There are 19 NHL contracts + 7 AHL contracts expiring this coming summer, as I determine it.

That's more than half of the organization.

Bettman @ the BOG meeting this past week thinks that the cap will be +/- $1m from this season's level. (And there's no bonus cushion next season, at this point.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Bieksa
Schneider
1 st round pick

For
Seto

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:02 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
no..

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:53 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Bieksa
Schneider
1 st round pick

For
Seto
Nobody here wants to trade Seto.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Gilligans Island

<Bump>

Based on half a season, the full season stats for our key free agents (Pavs, Seto, and Patty) project to be:
  • Patty: 50 goals, 32 assists, 82 pts
  • Seto: 24 goals, 12 assists, 36 points
  • Pavs: 23goals, 30 assists, 54 points

(I didn't include Nabby as I don't think the decision to re-sign him will be based on stats/production. I think age and money left over from other re-signings will affect his re-signing.)

With the above projections, has anyone's opinions on how much these 3 players should be re-signed for changed?

Mine slightly...

Seto's production is lower than expected (depressed since he's playing 4th line minutes). Unless he really steps up his production (and game),I don't think he's quite in the Kessel salary range. At this rate, I think he should be re-signed for something around $3.75-4m per year.

Pavs: no change... $3.5 - 3.67 per yr.

Patty: still hoping he'll sign for a long term, cap friendly deal (7-8 yrs at $4.25-4.5 per yr).

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:31 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Marleau - I think he'll sign an extension before the end of the season
Pavelski - re-sign
Setoguchi - re-sign
Nichol -- depends on the season, probally resign as 4th line center.
Shelley - i think he'll not be resigned as Staubitz/McLaren can take his place
Malhotra - i'd probably not resign him as Culture will be ready and can take 3rd line center next season. I like him and might re-sign over Nichol.
Ortmeyer - depends on the season, probably resign as 4th liner.
Blake - probably resign for one more year, have to see how the season and playoffs turn out for him.
Joslin - re-sign.
Staubitz - not sure yet, probably get resigned.
Nabokov - I don't think he'll be resigned. Probably trade his rights after
the season before July 1st.

I think the most interesting aspect of the off season is do we trade for or sign a new NHL goalie or let the Griess, Stalock and Karlssenn compete for the starting job.
At the half way point the only change i'd make to this is to let Blake walk. His numbers are down and i've not been that impressed with his play this season. I'd try and pick up a decent shut down D to replace him as i think we'll need it and can find it for about the same cap dollars.

VP and GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
At the half way point the only change i'd make to this is to let Blake walk. His numbers are down and i've not been that impressed with his play this season. I'd try and pick up a decent shut down D to replace him as i think we'll need it and can find it for about the same cap dollars.
Agree. If Blake re-signs, hope it's for $1.5m max for 1 yr. Play as the #5 who can occasionally step into the Top 4. I'd be fine w/ that.

Let Nabby walk and re-sign Patty, Seto, Pavs and Manny. Let Couture and Mitchell duke it out as the 4C. Use the remaining money to sign a real Top 4 (or trade for one). Huskins should be waived, too.

Old
01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Agree. If Blake re-signs, hope it's for $1.5m max for 1 yr. Play as the #5 who can occasionally step into the Top 4. I'd be fine w/ that.

Let Nabby walk and re-sign Patty, Seto, Pavs and Manny. Let Couture and Mitchell duke it out as the 4C. Use the remaining money to sign a real Top 4 (or trade for one). Huskins should be waived, too.
I think Coulture will need wingers that can play some offense so i'd target him for the third line with mcginn and mitchel as wingers.

Old
01-01-2010, 10:43 PM
OneTooth

DW has to find a way to sign Marleau and do it before other teams get a chance to throw silly money at him. Call me crazy but I would rather see Heatley traded than see Marleau gone. I honestly don't see Heatley as the difference maker in the playoffs (although I hope I'm very wrong).

Marleau and Pavs are the only two guys that can consistently put up numbers without JT, IMO. I think these 2 guys should be the priority signings.

OneTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:47 AM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTooth View Post
DW has to find a way to sign Marleau and do it before other teams get a chance to throw silly money at him. Call me crazy but I would rather see Heatley traded than see Marleau gone. I honestly don't see Heatley as the difference maker in the playoffs (although I hope I'm very wrong).

Marleau and Pavs are the only two guys that can consistently put up numbers without JT, IMO. I think these 2 guys should be the priority signings.
I'll be supprised if there are no talks on a contract extension for Patty before the
regular season is finished.

Old
01-02-2010, 01:38 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Alot of people here want nabby to walk.. he is one of the best shark goalies to ever lace them up, seeing him leave would probably break this team imo.. unless you find a good replacement.

Do you think nabby will take a big paycut to remain with the sharks? He's been with them for many years and has proven to be a bit loyal.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishytomato View Post
Alot of people here want nabby to walk.. he is one of the best shark goalies to ever lace them up, seeing him leave would probably break this team imo.. unless you find a good replacement.

Do you think nabby will take a big paycut to remain with the sharks? He's been with them for many years and has proven to be a bit loyal.
Unfortunately, I don't think there is much of an option. I mean, if Marleau ends up walking, they can sign him to a respectable contract. However, the reality is that he won't be the first or second priorities going forward.

I honestly think that Greiss would be a capable replacement as soon as next year and would improve on the job as a starter. He's done a supreme job in limited time this year and the kind of goalie he is, is the kind that gets better the more he plays...like Nabby.

If Nabby was willing to conform to what the Sharks are able to give him, I'd be all for him coming back for another two years. I could easily see things falling out between the team and Nabby because he might see it as disrespectful for the team to sign guys like Marleau, Pavs, and Seto first and then give him an offer with what's left.

It's going to be tough next off-season.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Gilligans Island

Here's what I hope we ice next season (rearranged to show lines/d-pairings):

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Dany Heatley ($7.500m) / Joe Thornton ($7.200m) / * Patrick Marleau ($4.500m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / * Joe Pavelski ($3.500m) /* Devin Setoguchi ($3.750m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.997m) / * Manny Malhotra ($1.200m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.367m) /
Frazer McLaren ($0.543m)/ * Scott Nichol ($0.900m) / * Jed Ortmeyer ($0.650m)
* Brad Staubitz ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.667m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
* #2 dman ($4.000m)/ Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m)
* Rob Blake ($1.500m) / Jason Demers ($0.543m)
* Derek Joslin ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Alex Stalock ($0.850m) / Thomas Greiss ($0.550m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.442m; CAP ROOM: $0.713m BONUSES: $0.355m
  • as PF said, unfortunately, Nabby is likely a goner if we hope to re-sign Pavs, Seto and Patty. I think a platoon of Stalock and Griess could work. Greiss has looked pretty solid in his limited playing time
  • Patty at $4.5m per for 7-8 yrs would be perfect. Seto may go up or down depending on how he performs in the 2nd half of the season
  • Blake at $1.5m as the 5 dman/mentor would be great - he could be a top 4 fill-in when needed
  • Trade or sign a #2 dman - someone like Volchenkov would be ideal. Trade for Kaberle (or White) could be other options, too. Or even Hamhuis, too.
  • If we don't want to sign Manny for that amount (or he wants too much), Couture could fill his spot.
  • Waive or trade Huskins for a 7th. Anything.
  • All in all, I don't think we're in a decent spot IF we can re-sign our key forwards.

Old
01-02-2010, 04:05 PM
CHALUPA

Quote:

FORWARDS
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / * Joe Pavelski ($3.500m) /* Devin Setoguchi ($3.750m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.997m) / * Manny Malhotra ($1.200m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.367m) /
Frazer McLaren ($0.543m)/ * Scott Nichol ($0.900m) / * Jed Ortmeyer ($0.650m)
* Brad Staubitz ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.667m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
* #2 dman ($4.000m)/ Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m)
* Rob Blake ($1.500m) / Jason Demers ($0.543m)
* Derek Joslin ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Alex Stalock ($0.850m) / Thomas Greiss ($0.550m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.442m; CAP ROOM: $0.713m BONUSES: $0.355m
  • as PF said, unfortunately, Nabby is likely a goner if we hope to re-sign Pavs, Seto and Patty. I think a platoon of Stalock and Griess could work. Greiss has looked pretty solid in his limited playing time
  • Patty at $4.5m per for 7-8 yrs would be perfect. Seto may go up or down depending on how he performs in the 2nd half of the season
  • Blake at $1.5m as the 5 dman/mentor would be great - he could be a top 4 fill-in when needed
  • Trade or sign a #2 dman - someone like Volchenkov would be ideal. Trade for Kaberle (or White) could be other options, too. Or even Hamhuis, too.
  • If we don't want to sign Manny for that amount (or he wants too much), Couture could fill his spot.
  • Waive or trade Huskins for a 7th. Anything.
  • All in all, I don't think we're in a decent spot IF we can re-sign our key forwards.
I like this roster as a whole.

I think we should give Stalock at least one more year in the A. Meaning, we should probably sign a cheap backup goaltender (or use Sexsmith instead?). I think our major savings WILL come from the goaltender position. I have confidence in Greiss to be a decent starter next year, and I think keeping Marleau, Pavs, and Seto is more important than keeping Nabby is (as much as I love Nabby).

Also, if Couture and Ferriero (sp? I forgot it ._.) keep playing the way they are, I would have no problem with using them as replacements for Malhotra and/or Ortmeyer respectively. Of course, being able to sign Malhotra and Ortmeyer would be nice, we do have the replacements.

CHALUPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHALUPA View Post
Also, if Couture and Ferriero (sp? I forgot it ._.) keep playing the way they are, I would have no problem with using them as replacements for Malhotra and/or Ortmeyer respectively. Of course, being able to sign Malhotra and Ortmeyer would be nice, we do have the replacements.
Yeah, I can see that being a backup option if we can't re-sign Manny and Jed. But, if they do have a chance at being top 6 material (as Speed and 210 seem to indicate from recent play), I think they can develop better in the AHL for another year than play 3rd or 4th line minutes w/ the Sharks.

Old
01-02-2010, 10:36 PM
OneTooth

Quote:

FORWARDS
I can't believe Marleau will sign for anything in the $4M range. I think he can get into the $6M range and I just can't see him taking a discount just to stay in SJ. An extra $1M+ a year is A LOT of money and I'm sure his wife and family can handle a few months away from SJ during the season for that kind of money.

OneTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:39 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Marleau will get $7 million from the Leafs. Easy.

01-02-2010, 10:41 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
And the Leafs will still not make the playoffs. Easy.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
I'm sure Savard could too. But he was being a great teammate and signed for 4mil.

In this case, it's not about Marleau not taking a discount, but Doug offering too much from the start.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:50 PM
dumpnchase

Quote:
and he'll take it to be with his best bud Ron Wilson

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:15 AM
SJeasy

While on one of the Toronto radio shows, there was a comment from Marleau about liking it in the West. I would be more inclined to believe rumors about Anaheim, LA, Phoenix and Vancouver if there are any.

Another recent broadcast said that Chicago was thinking about making a play for Kovalchuk giving the dumps that they would do to accomplish it. Talk about top heavy.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Another recent broadcast said that Chicago was thinking about making a play for Kovalchuk giving the dumps that they would do to accomplish it. Talk about top heavy.
If they're gonna have to take 11 million on their cap, Campbell would have to be an absolute must to go the other way. And I am sure another expensive roster player, prospect and a pick would have to be involved. I don't think it's gonna happen.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:24 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
While on one of the Toronto radio shows, there was a comment from Marleau about liking it in the West. I would be more inclined to believe rumors about Anaheim, LA, Phoenix and Vancouver if there are any.

The only reasons they'd do it:
1) frees up unnecessary contracts to Atlanta
(someone like Sopel+Byfuglien+overpaid)

2) They will most likely like Kovalchuk walk, and allow the youth to settle in, and use the cap space to avoid the tagging rule

3) Win-Now Mentality means coughing up picks and prospects and valuable assets, luckily the Blackhawks are in a position to give up those and still retain assets for the future

4) Kane - Toews - Kovalchuk
Versteeg - Sharp - Hossa

so in actuality...they would get Kovy as an intentional FA dump (if Tallon were still here...it'd be a different story)

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:16 AM
ThorntonFan19

Right now I think Marleau, Pavelski and Setoguchi are the main priorities. Nabby is up there but if he wants 4.5+ i would let him walk.

Setoguchi isnt playing himself into a good contract and that could give us some needed cap space.

This is what id hope for:

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
5.8-7.2-7.5 (Marleau takes small discount)

Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
3.6-3.9-2.2 (Seto earns a low 1 yr contract, so he can redeem himself next yr)

Mcginn-Couture-Mitchell
.8-1.1-1.3

Mclaren-Nichol-Staubitz
.5-.7-.5

Murray-Boyle
2.5-6.7
Vlasic-UFA
Huskins-Demers
1.7-.6

Nabokov - 3.5 (yes discount)
Greiss - .5

That gives us 53.6 in salary. Around 3.3 million to spend on the dman. If Nabby wants more let him walk. If Pavs, Marleau or Seto want more let Nabby walk or trade Clowe, but only if a team will overpay and only if couture seems ready for next year (in top six). Playoffs will also tell who we keep and who we let go.

Currently it is all a bunch of "ifs". Not to early to predict, but to way too early to have a solid grasp on what we will do.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:40 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Right now I think Marleau, Pavelski and Setoguchi are the main priorities. Nabby is up there but if he wants 4.5+ i would let him walk.

Setoguchi isnt playing himself into a good contract and that could give us some needed cap space.

This is what id hope for:

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
5.8-7.2-7.5 (Marleau takes small discount)

Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
3.6-3.9-2.2 (Seto earns a low 1 yr contract, so he can redeem himself next yr)

Mcginn-Couture-Mitchell
.8-1.1-1.3

Mclaren-Nichol-Staubitz
.5-.7-.5

Murray-Boyle
2.5-6.7
Vlasic-UFA
Huskins-Demers
1.7-.6

Nabokov - 3.5 (yes discount)
Greiss - .5

That gives us 53.6 in salary. Around 3.3 million to spend on the dman. If Nabby wants more let him walk. If Pavs, Marleau or Seto want more let Nabby walk or trade Clowe, but only if a team will overpay and only if couture seems ready for next year (in top six). Playoffs will also tell who we keep and who we let go.

Currently it is all a bunch of "ifs". Not to early to predict, but to way too early to have a solid grasp on what we will do.
I suspect in the offseason that Huskins will be traded and Setoguchi will be signed by another team to an offersheet.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote