HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Khabibulin out for the year

Old
12-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Elim99

vCash: 500
Khabibulin out for the year

Apparently he is going to have back surgery to fix a herniated disc. This is coming second hand from a player within the organization.

If true, even though Deslauriers has played well, I don't think he can carry the Oilers to the playoffs without an experience backup goalie. Should the Oilers go after a cheap backup goalie? Biron?

Elim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:08 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Wow... that sucks.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim99 View Post
Apparently he is going to have back surgery to fix a herniated disc. This is coming second hand from a player within the organization.

If true, even though Deslauriers has played well, I don't think he can carry the Oilers to the playoffs without an experience backup goalie. Should the Oilers go after a cheap backup goalie? Biron?
IF this is true, it certainly should be something management looks at.

But, "carry the Oilers to the playoffs"... despite recent success, I remain a tad skeptical about them making the playoffs - that is, without a significant change or two to the roster. Its not like they can continue traveling around the SE playing bottom feeding teams for the rest of the season.

I was hoping they would trade Khabi to Philly .

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:10 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Lets not get too excited just yet. Pure speculation at this point.

Tambo has said that hes getting better so who knows.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:

Unless we can get a sweet deal for Harding, Halak, Smith, or someone of that ilk, I say we stand pat with JDD/DD and see what they can do for the time being.

Oddly enough, I trust JDD for now. He still has a horrible tendency to be beaten high and go on adventures outside of his crease, but he may be able to keep us afloat around 8th.

That being said... Only 5 points out of 29th place... Just saying. I mean... come on, the stars are aligning for this year... Hemsky out... Khabi possibly out... the Hockey Gods are giving us the "free pass" for the year!

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Kung Pow

Quote:

Where did you hear this?

Kung Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:13 AM
missinthejets

deslaurier seems like a good goaltender with a tendancy to give up a softy here and there... almost like he loses focus at some points, but i guess that's the price you pay with a younger goaltender. He seems capable though so who knows.
I don't think having a veteran around would hurt just in case but only if the price is right.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:15 AM
oilersnyc

I wouldn't hit the panic button if this was true ... I would stay with JDD/DD as long as we don't suddenly overwork JDD.
Posted via Mobile Device

oilersnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Well, if it's true, that's really tough. They will have to get an experienced back up if this indeed true, because they can't roll with both JDD and DD all season, imo. I don't think it's good for DD's development.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
Where did you hear this?
He said he got his info from,
Quote:
This is coming second hand from a player within the organization.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:17 AM
battlegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersnyc View Post
I wouldn't hit the panic button if this was true ... I would stay with JDD/DD as long as we don't suddenly overwork JDD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed, I think they can hold the fort for us

Hopefully Khabbi would be back for us for the playoffs though... If not I say trade for Roli

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:18 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

I'm sorry, but if Khabibulin is out for the year, there is no way this season isn't a write-off.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
deslaurier seems like a good goaltender with a tendancy to give up a softy here and there... almost like he loses focus at some points, but i guess that's the price you pay with a younger goaltender. He seems capable though so who knows.
I don't think having a veteran around would hurt just in case but only if the price is right.
Roloson + Schremp for Nilsson + Grebeshkov

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
hfboardsuser

Despite the five-game streak, we're only four points up on fifth-last. We only really need a couple of players-for-picks trades to get back down there, and I can't imagine this team 'going for it' if this news is true.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Despite the five-game streak, we're only four points up on fifth-last. We only really need a couple of players-for-picks trades to get back down there, and I can't imagine this team 'going for it' if this news is true.
High Five!

Old
12-14-2009, 11:22 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
High Five!
Can you imagine this team without one (or both) of Souray/Vis? Man we'd suck.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:25 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

This would put the team in a really strange spot...because I think they're capable of continuing to win. They're working crazily hard just like at the beginning of the year when they were 6-2-1 and could've been 8-0-1.

I can't cheer for failure even when Taylor Hall is the prize.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
I'm sorry, but if Khabibulin is out for the year, there is no way this season isn't a write-off.
look at the money we are saving this year though.. if we are still in the mix by trade deadline then we can load up on pending UFAs and make a go for the cup :p

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Call me delusional but I say the Oilers should run with it. JDD is getting an experience of a life time with this injury to Khabbi. The Oilers are playing very well. I dont want to see the white towel thrown yet. If trades are made, I hope its redundant players out for picks inbound. I like this team and like what I see. When the players are healthy, this is a decent team. They showed that at the start of the season and they're showing that for the last five games. Anyways, you don't give up now, you give up at the trade deadline when your trade-offs hold more value towards teams willing to risk improving their playoff chances.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
I doubt it. Hockey people tend to be competitive by nature. The brass won't give up on the team at this point in the season. They'll give both JDD and DD a chance to show their stuff this year.

If the Oilers fall way off the pace, they may contemplate the kinds of transactions you have in your post at the trade deadline.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Digger12

It may still be in the realm of rumour/speculation, the simple fact that the Oilers have said next to nothing about this injury of his, which has been going on for nearly a month now, would suggest that he's suffering from something that's a bit more than a tweak.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear about him being out for the season.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:38 AM
RStar*

Well at least in NHL 11 JDD should be rated decent now. So theres a silver lining to all of this.....

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:39 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Maybe he will retire?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Can you imagine this team without one (or both) of Souray/Vis? Man we'd suck.
Oh we'd be horrible. But I can't see us trading either unless something magical was coming back our way, and if that was the case, I'd rather only one of them (Souray) heads out. If things worked out perfectly with the dive, we could have the quickest turnaround and field 1a/1b/2 lines next year:

MSP - Horcoff - Hemsky
Penner - Gagner - Brule
Jacques - Seguin - Eberle

OR

Hall - Horcoff - Hemksy
Penner - Gagner - Eberle
MSP - Brule - *veteran*

Sign some help for the blueline with Vis-Smid, Grebs and Gilbert still around and we'd be shining our shoes for the dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
I doubt it. Hockey people tend to be competitive by nature. The brass won't give up on the team at this point in the season. They'll give both JDD and DD a chance to show their stuff this year.

If the Oilers fall way off the pace, they may contemplate the kinds of transactions you have in your post at the trade deadline.
Sure, they're competitive and I doubt they'd make any drastic changes prior to the deadline, but management can choose to do nothing at all and help the cause (the cause being the dive!).

Last edited by Soli: 12-14-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old
12-14-2009, 11:40 AM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe he will retire?
Not with a guaranteed contract he wont.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote