HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biron. Would you, could you, and if you did how much?

Old
11-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Biron. Would you, could you, and if you did how much?

Simple. Biron's name has been thrown around since the summer as a possible backup option. He's making peanuts on the Island and we know that he's one tender who can both handle a role as Miller's backup AND who Ruff trusts. DiPi's health and the Islanders being in contention are likely two impediments to making it happen. Would you, in Regier's shoes and could you? How high would you go?

And if not Biron, who? It seems the criteria would be a quality guy on an affordable, expiring contract who is on a team not flirting with playoff contention. That all but rules out Hedberg, Auld, and Niittymaki at the moment. Conklin (another year on his deal), Clemmensen (two more after this one) aren't perfect candidates, having more than a year left on their deals.

I am wondering if Ruff is playing Miller now with the understanding from Regier that Darcy will make a move for a better backup later in the season. Basically, Ruff will make hay while he can with Miller and then give him the maintenance nights off later on, into 2010. Biron seems ideal for many reasons. Would you, could you, and how much would you give up?

12-01-2009, 12:03 AM
CrazyPsycho

I would definitely go after him, I would give multiple non-first rounders for him. Some sort of backup is going to be very important later on. I want Lalime gone ASAP if possible.

CrazyPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:06 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Simple. Biron's name has been thrown around since the summer as a possible backup option. He's making peanuts on the Island and we know that he's one tender who can both handle a role as Miller's backup AND who Ruff trusts. DiPi's health and the Islanders being in contention are likely two impediments to making it happen. Would you, in Regier's shoes and could you? How high would you go?

And if not Biron, who? It seems the criteria would be a quality guy on an affordable, expiring contract who is on a team not flirting with playoff contention. That all but rules out Hedberg, Auld, and Niittymaki at the moment. Conklin (another year on his deal), Clemmensen (two more after this one) aren't perfect candidates, having more than a year left on their deals.

I am wondering if Ruff is playing Miller now with the understanding from Regier that Darcy will make a move for a better backup later in the season. Basically, Ruff will make hay while he can with Miller and then give him the maintenance nights off later on, into 2010. Biron seems ideal for many reasons. Would you, could you, and how much would you give up?
Biron makes so much sense and works on many levels. His abilities as a goalie, Ruff's faith in him, his previous relationship with Miller and his positive impact in the lockerroom.

He should be vigorously pursued as soon as its a clear Dipietro is able to play but I'm not sure what it would take to get him.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:07 AM
ohheyimmark

Yes, anything up to but not including a first if they're only looking for picks. Adding players gets too dicey because I think moving a body not named Mair, Paetsch, or an AHL guy requires more than Biron coming back, I think. But Biron is a necessary component for me. I want him back in the blue and gold very, very much.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Biron makes so much sense and works on many levels. His abilities as a goalie, Ruff's faith in him, his previous relationship with Miller and his positive impact in the lockerroom.

He should be vigorously pursued as soon as its a clear Dipietro is playing but I'm not sure what it would take to get him.
That's just it -- with the Islanders hanging in contention at the moment in the Eastern Conference, it's going to be more than a draft pick move. And I don't think anyone does Regier a favor by taking Lalime's contract off the books. So, can we fans stomach a (close prospect)-and-a-pick type deal to rent a quality backup? Or a roster-player? It'd be great if Snow sends Marty Buffalo's way for a cheap return (say a third rounder), but he has no reason to be that generous unless he's a man of his word and has made that sort of promise to Biron. There's nothing to say that they have any more than an agreement to send Marty to a playoff team once the Rick is back.

As much as it makes me squirm... I wonder if Weber would get it done.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:31 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That's just it -- with the Islanders hanging in contention at the moment in the Eastern Conference, it's going to be more than a draft pick move. And I don't think anyone does Regier a favor by taking Lalime's contract off the books. So, can we fans stomach a (close prospect)-and-a-pick type deal to rent a quality backup? Or a roster-player? It'd be great if Snow sends Marty Buffalo's way for a cheap return (say a third rounder), but he has no reason to be that generous unless he's a man of his word and has made that sort of promise to Biron. There's nothing to say that they have any more than an agreement to send Marty to a playoff team once the Rick is back.

As much as it makes me squirm... I wonder if Weber would get it done.
I could live with it (obviously not Ennis)because I feel it could easily end up being more than than just a rental. Plus most of those close prospects are not really sure fire NHLers at this point.

Thats an interesting question about anything Snow may have promised Marty when he signed.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:46 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I wouldn't be willing to part with much more than a conditional third (Boston's or ours, NYI's pick), and a project prospect.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:13 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I'd trade a guy like Brennan or Persson at this point, but I'd be reluctant to let go anyone who is close to the NHL like Weber.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:13 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

He's behind Roloson, isn't he? Meaning he's definitely the odd man out. Either way, one guy has to go, and I'd certainly take Marty.

Ugh. Maybe Persson? I don't want to give up hope on him, but you also have to think his value is literally a.

Late round pick this year and next?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:18 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous View Post
I'd trade a guy like Brennan or Persson at this point, but I'd be reluctant to let go anyone who is close to the NHL like Weber.
Brennan >>>>>>> Persson. They aren't close in value right now.

Old
12-01-2009, 01:33 AM
hottytoddy

Biron makes the most sense. A 2nd round pick will probably be the price.

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:40 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

2nd or 3rd and a prospect. No more. Unless we can also add another key player and have a chance to compete.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous View Post
IMO Brennan is behind Dipenta on the callup order for defensemen. Weber has definitely fallen out of favor and Gragnani is struggling defensively in Portland (when I see him play). Anyone who's seen Portland play this season should see the obvious raw potential of Brennan. My favorite part about him is that he generally appears to be looking to improve himself and does every game. As for a prospect to trade, I'd trade Gerbe. With each passing day, I get more and more convinced that he is just simply too small to play in the NHL. I hope I can't say the same for Byron in a few years.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubs View Post
Biron makes the most sense. A 2nd round pick will probably be the price.
Would anyone else find it more than slightly ironic if TJ Brennan did end up being the price?

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:03 AM
OpethianSabre20

I would be willing to give up as a package that included a decent draft pick (2nd-4th rounder) or a package that included a decent prospect like Gragnani and late round pick.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:36 AM
glassjaw*

I was thinking Detroit would nab him to be their starter.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:43 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
IMO Brennan is behind Dipenta on the callup order for defensemen. Weber has definitely fallen out of favor and Gragnani is struggling defensively in Portland (when I see him play). Anyone who's seen Portland play this season should see the obvious raw potential of Brennan. My favorite part about him is that he generally appears to be looking to improve himself and does every game. As for a prospect to trade, I'd trade Gerbe. With each passing day, I get more and more convinced that he is just simply too small to play in the NHL. I hope I can't say the same for Byron in a few years.
Really? Weber is leading Portland in +/-. He's definitely regressed from the guy who I thought was NHL ready two years ago, but I think that he's the first defenseman they look at from the A.

Old
12-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Really? Weber is leading Portland in +/-. He's definitely regressed from the guy who I thought was NHL ready two years ago, but I think that he's the first defenseman they look at from the A.
For now.
Brennan's gonna go past him soon enough, and he's already #9 on the depth chart if you count Paetsch in.

Considering it was TWO years ago he made the roster and had those promising games, I don't think it's unreasonable to have serious doubts about his NHL future.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Tra La La

With Roloson 8-2 and Marty 2-8 could they really ask for that much?

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

3rd + lesser prospect (Eno, Jokinen, MacKenzie etc..)

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Mergus merganser

I'd throw they Mancari or a 3rd.

I still think Mancari can be a 2nd-3rd line forward in the NHL. Just seems like the sabres don't have room for him. Let hime go somewhere else.

Either that or a 3rd. Anymore and I don't want Biron. You can only pay so much for a guy that will play 10 games for us....

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Mancari will never ever ever ever be a regular 2nd or 3rd liner, the only thing he could be is a 4th liner on a bad team.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I imagine a 3rd and a lowbie prospect would do it.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Mancari will never ever ever ever be a regular 2nd or 3rd liner, the only thing he could be is a 4th liner on a bad team.
And you know that by the 10 NHL games he has under his belt?

There is no doubt he could be a 3rd liner on many teams. His game my not completely transfer over to the NHL from the AHL but I do believe he could be a 35-40 point guy in the NHL. Buffalo refuses to give him a shot. I don't understand it.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If Tellqvist was worth a 4th... is Biron worth that much more?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote