HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Halladay to Phillies

Old
12-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
The Mariners are a hideously confused team. Thing is, they play in the West so anything can really happen.
If they had one legit slugger, they'd clearly be the strongest team in the west imo. Having Hernandez and Lee at the top of the rotation could potentially be scary good. But you're right, the West is always a crapshoot.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:24 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Nah, Lee wanted to test free agency and apparently wanted somewhere around 20-25 mil/year.

Good for Doc, going to a line-up with fire power and in the NL where he can dominate. Cy Young candidate for sure next year, and may even win the world series that he wants.

If the reports are true, getting Drabek + Taylor + D'Arnaud is a good package. Drabek has ace potential, Taylor can be a great OF(not their best mind you) and D'Arnaud is a solid catching guy.

Good job AA.
I'm hoping that Happ is a part of the deal. He is a really good young pitcher, has great command and composure. Philly kinda messed with him by having him pitch out of the bullpen in the playoffs. But I'm thinking this was the reason why Philly balked at the deal in the first place and went after Lee instead.

If thats the package they have offered, it kinda sucks. Those players are good prospects, but none of them are close to playing this year, and then they will truly have Ricky Romero as there only starting pitcher.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:28 PM
mpah

vCash: 50
imagine if baseball had a salary cap

mpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
o98

Send a message via MSN to o98
This Braves fan is not pleased. Oh well, at least the Muts still stink!

o98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I think this is a dumb move by the M's, they are not ready to compete for the AL W, let a lone the world Series, why grab Lee for one year when he will probably hit the UFA market? no reason, they should have kept the prospects. great move by the phills on the other hand, they have a window to win for a few more years, why not get the best pitcher in the game.

Also Lee is over rated, he looked great in the playoffs, but other then that he had one fluke year and is not that great other then that.
The Mariners are in a position to compete. They had a winning record last season and they took a lot of dead weight off the books with expiring contracts of Beltre and Sexson. They add a few key elements - like Cliff Lee - and they are very much contenders.

Looking forward to a great season in Seattle in 2010!

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:09 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn Duliba View Post
The Mariners are in a position to compete. They had a winning record last season and they took a lot of dead weight off the books with expiring contracts of Beltre and Sexson. They add a few key elements - like Cliff Lee - and they are very much contenders.

Figgins and Ichiro at the top of the lineup is going to create havoc. But they are lacking some pop in the middle of their lineup. I wonder how much money they'll have left to address that.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
Figgins and Ichiro at the top of the lineup is going to create havoc. But they are lacking some pop in the middle of their lineup. I wonder how much money they'll have left to address that.
I figure about $23 million with Beltre and Sexson's cash.

Old
12-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Hunt4Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Toronto blows.
Wow way to add to the conversation!

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Hunt4Oil

I'm really glad he didn't go to the Sox or the Yanks. I hope he gets a WS in Philly.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:25 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

They better add a bat, the Bullpen is nothing to write home about either.

I just don't see it, even with King felix and Lee, but we shall see

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:27 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

lol @ Toronto....their whole sports scene stinks!

Jays were garbage with him...and will continue to be garbage without him

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
I'm hoping that Happ is a part of the deal. He is a really good young pitcher, has great command and composure. Philly kinda messed with him by having him pitch out of the bullpen in the playoffs. But I'm thinking this was the reason why Philly balked at the deal in the first place and went after Lee instead.

If thats the package they have offered, it kinda sucks. Those players are good prospects, but none of them are close to playing this year, and then they will truly have Ricky Romero as there only starting pitcher.
Really? I'm the opposite, I honestly think Happ is rubbish and would get eaten alive in the AL East. His ceiling is a #3-#4 starter really. I don't think he's good at all.

Their package is great I think. 2 top-50 prospects in baseball(Drabek + Taylor) and a good defensive catcher with an quickly improving bat.

Drabek has ace potential, and at worst, he'll be a #2 type starter. He's an ace in the making, we just have to wait a little to let him season.

Taylor is a stud. The guy has mad power, and is average in the field. He'll be a force if he reaches his full potential.

D'Arnaud is defensively great, and his bat is improving fast. He'll join an already loaded system with catchers.

Thats a great package if you compare it to what others got for Sanatana(as a Twins fan, FU Billy Smith), Lee and even CC Sabathia.

Quote:

I dunno, I don't think contenders just yet. They lack pop in the middle of their order. Their rotation is insane, and Figgins and Ichiro will cause hell at the top of their order, but they lack the consistent bats in the middle. They have money, sure, but unless they play on over-pay for Bay or somehow get Holliday, I'm not sure where that power is coming from. Still solid deal from their side.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:52 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Enjoy the very bottom of the AL East Toronto. Nothing will make me happier.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:59 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Also, over/under on Sportsnet/TSN showing way more Phillies games then usual?

The Dayvan Cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Cerebral

This is a heck of a package if the three players Toronto gets back are Taylor, Drabek, and D'Arnaud. A lot of people are hung up on Brown but Taylor could easily end up being the better player to be honest.

We're talking about a kid who essentially posted a 1.000 OPS at AA ball last season with 18 steals and 15 homers in only 86 games. Double that across a full season and you've got a .333 hitter with 30 homers and 36 stolen bases. That's beastly and he's got a 6'6 frame with a cannon of an arm as well.

12-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Lessy

Halladay is going to put up filthy numbers in the NL and playing for that juggernaut in Philly. Certainly has a shot to be the first pitcher to win 25 in the last 20 years I'd say.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:

I wouldn't go so far to say that they're contenders yet. They don't have the rotation to go up against the Red Sox and Yankees of the AL, and they certainly don't have the bats. Definitely a threat to come out of the West though.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:19 AM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Halladay is going to put up filthy numbers in the NL and playing for that juggernaut in Philly. Certainly has a shot to be the first pitcher to win 25 in the last 20 years I'd say.
Halladay was always floating around 20 wins, in the toughest division in baseball.

call me insane, but, I think if Doc can stay healthy, he can pull a Denny McLain in the NL.

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:07 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
The best Blue Jays pitcher of all time has been traded to the Phillies in a three team deal between Sea-Phi-Tor...
Juan Guzman is still playing? I had no idea.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
They better add a bat, the Bullpen is nothing to write home about either.

I just don't see it, even with King felix and Lee, but we shall see
They are front-runners to sign Jason Bay and have an advantage because Seattle is by far the closest MLB city to Bay's home town of Trail, BC.

Old
12-15-2009, 09:53 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
They are front-runners to sign Jason Bay and have an advantage because Seattle is by far the closest MLB city to Bay's home town of Trail, BC.
I will bet a handsome sum that Bay doesn't sign in Seattle.

The Dayvan Cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:13 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxpower View Post
imagine if baseball had a salary cap
All the teams that spend nothing at the behest of their uninterested owners would continue to do so.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Sad to see Doc go. But I knew it had to happen and it was very smart for the Jays to get it done in this manner. Glad he didn't end up on the BoSox or the Yanks as some rumors were reporting.

The package does look nice and yes Toronto will take a few years to build up and hopefulyl become good again. But anyone who thinsk they should ahve hung on to Doc is an idiot, this trade was smart and very necessary. Now they just need to get rid of Riciadi's last useless contract(Wells) and this team will be well on their way to a rebuild.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:52 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
All the teams that spend nothing at the behest of their uninterested owners would continue to do so.
False.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So now another pickle, apparently if the deal goes through, Jays would turn around and trade Taylor to the A's for Brett Wallace + stuff.

I dunno, I'd rather have Taylor, while Wallace is nice, I think Taylor is a stud. 6'6'' masher. Wallace's plate discipline leaves alot of be desired.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote