HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Halladay to Phillies

Old
12-15-2009, 11:48 AM
ponokanocker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marxpower View Post
imagine if baseball had a salary cap
What, a cap? Then more than a handfull of teams could compete then. Why would they do that? Seriously though, why does anyone watch anyone but the elite teams with big payrolls? I would prefer to watch minor league teams over most of the MLB teams. Just a pathetic league, which is where NHL was heading if they haven't come down with the cap.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:51 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
You know fans talk about the mess that Oiler management has to clean up, what about what the Blue Jays have to do?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:54 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
What, a cap? Then more than a handfull of teams could compete then. Why would they do that? Seriously though, why does anyone watch anyone but the elite teams with big payrolls? I would prefer to watch minor league teams over most of the MLB teams. Just a pathetic league, which is where NHL was heading if they haven't come down with the cap.
That's the problem I have with Baseball, I use to follow all the time but it has gotten to the point where I never see the Blue Jays going anywhere so I don't follow as much.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:01 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's the problem I have with Baseball, I use to follow all the time but it has gotten to the point where I never see the Blue Jays going anywhere so I don't follow as much.
The only problem I have with baseball is that it's boring as ****.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:03 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
I totally agree with you. The same with would have happened to me with the Oilers if they hadn't implemented the cap.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:04 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
It'd be one thing if the Jays had a bunch of former players starring for big market teams; then you might have an argument.

The Jays failings are their own. They quite frankly do a horrible job of identifying talent.

The idea that the $$$'s aren't flying left and right in baseball is kind of nuts considering local TV deals, national deals, 81 home dates and on-line revenue.

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 12-15-2009 at 12:11 PM.
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:08 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
All the teams that spend nothing at the behest of their uninterested owners would continue to do so.
not with the salary floor in place a la NHL

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Halliday takes out full page ad in Toronto newspaper to thank fans

You should only be so lucky having a guy like this on your favorite team. The Phillies really struck it rich here.

A phenomenal talent, and a classy guy.

Last edited by Jet: 03-17-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Cerebral

In other Jays news, they just traded Brandon League and a prospect for Brandon Morrow. Depending on the prospect who is traded (I'm hearing Zach Stewart who is a stellar young arm!), this could turn out to be a fabulous trade for the Jays.

Morrow has top of the rotation stuff and, while his control is still a work in progress, he has the ability to make people swing and miss. His numbers to end the year were very strong when he switched back to the rotation and he could be part of a very strong rotation in a few years including Drabek, Cecil, Marcum, Romero, Rzepczynski and potentially Stewart if he's still around.

Those are some quality young arms and it's nice to see the Jays pick up a few fireballers in favour of the softies they've collected in years past.

12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Halliday takes out full page ad in Toronto newspaper to thank fans

You should only be so lucky having a guy like this on your favorite team. The Phillies really struck it rich here.

A phenomenal talent, and a classy guy.

Agreed, he'll go up on the Ring of Honour, or whatever they call in Toronto, he's a great player and an even better person.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
JustinCider

MLB is a joke, plain and simple. It's an unfair structure, each year, when the season starts, you can easily write off 60 percent of the teams in the league, they have NO chance at winning the world series. After that, you can gurantee that about 10 percent of the teams WILL make it. It's pointless IMO. Baltimore and Toronto have no reason to play, they aren't in the same league as the Red Sox and Yankees. Washington, KC, Pitts, Cinci, Houston are already out of the race and the season hasn't even started. The league needs a real cap, the current model does not work at all.

JustinCider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Sayuri

Quote:
You know fans talk about the mess that Oiler management has to clean up, what about what the Blue Jays have to do?
Two clubs that can certainly relate to one another. It's complete rebuild time for the jays and looking more and more like the Oilers might have to go the same direction.

I am a die hard fan of both and I gotta say it's starting to get tough at times. I can honestly say that I still get that twinge of excitement every game day though and until that goes away then I guess it's worth it.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:24 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
MLB is a joke, plain and simple. It's an unfair structure, each year, when the season starts, you can easily write off 60 percent of the teams in the league, they have NO chance at winning the world series. After that, you can gurantee that about 10 percent of the teams WILL make it. It's pointless IMO. Baltimore and Toronto have no reason to play, they aren't in the same league as the Red Sox and Yankees. Washington, KC, Pitts, Cinci, Houston are already out of the race and the season hasn't even started. The league needs a real cap, the current model does not work at all.
It's completely fair. Most of those teams could spend just as much money. The Jays and Baltimore especially.

What's unfair frankly is requiring teams with higher revenue streams (that they've earned) to lose talented players ala the NFL and NHL.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
In other Jays news, they just traded Brandon League and a prospect for Brandon Morrow. Depending on the prospect who is traded (I'm hearing Zach Stewart who is a stellar young arm!), this could turn out to be a fabulous trade for the Jays.

Morrow has top of the rotation stuff and, while his control is still a work in progress, he has the ability to make people swing and miss. His numbers to end the year were very strong when he switched back to the rotation and he could be part of a very strong rotation in a few years including Drabek, Cecil, Marcum, Romero, Rzepczynski and potentially Stewart if he's still around.

Those are some quality young arms and it's nice to see the Jays pick up a few fireballers in favour of the softies they've collected in years past.
The one place that I haven't been dissapointed with the Jays is their identification of pitching talent. Marcum, Downs, Romero, Accardo, McGowan, Litsch and the list goes on. If they could only have stayed healthy the past couple of years we might have seen more exciting playoff races.

League is a guy you are afraid of letting go, because he has a downright disgusting fastball. So very fast and such great movement. If he can ever figure out how to locate it with regularity he will be an elite closer in this league.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

Awesome. I have always been a huge League fan. But he has definitely regressed since his surgery. His fastball just isn't what it used to be. So I think this move is definitely a low risk-potential high reward type of trade. As much as you don't want to go against a young player the Jays jsut hope that Stewart doesn't turn out to be much of a player. But all the best to League in the future.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:30 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's completely fair. Most of those teams could spend just as much money. The Jays and Baltimore especially.

What's unfair frankly is requiring teams with higher revenue streams (that they've earned) to lose talented players ala the NFL and NHL.
Complete crap. Ya, in theory the jays are owned by a billionaire (RIP Ted) and could spend as much, but it just isn't realistic. Rogers would have to lose money to do it, a lot, the yanks don't lose money, they still gain it. When you look at revenue the Yanks still have the highest if not one of the higest revenue's every year. THe argument is a joke. To say the O's and Jays can spend as much as the yanks is like saying Italy can spend as much on their military as the US, they just choose not to. It isn't feasable. This argument has been proven wrong so many times.

The thing about the MLB is they keep saying, why should the yanks have revenue they have earned taken away. However what no one wants to admit and is painfully obvious to any Economist looking that the MLB, is that the MLB is in a state of a downward spiral. Teams like KC don't win, don't have a chance to, so people stop watching. Becuase the yankeess give them no hope, that is the reason KC has no revenue. So KC didn't earn as much becuase the NYY don't give them a chance to actually hold fans. Meanwhile the yanks continue to steam roll them, get bigger and bigger revenue due to more fans. There is only so many MLB fans, the MLB is basically saying every one has to become a fan of a few teams, cause the rest just don't have a chance. The rest just lose fans, year after year.

The game has no parity, doesn't make as much as a whole as it could becuase most cities don't even see a point of watching. It is a joke. The Yankees are a joke. Unless you are a fan, then you just put on the blinders.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
The one place that I haven't been dissapointed with the Jays is their identification of pitching talent. Marcum, Downs, Romero, Accardo, McGowan, Litsch and the list goes on. If they could only have stayed healthy the past couple of years we might have seen more exciting playoff races.

League is a guy you are afraid of letting go, because he has a downright disgusting fastball. So very fast and such great movement. If he can ever figure out how to locate it with regularity he will be an elite closer in this league.
After last season Accardo is a wild card. He has had some absolutely horrid games and I beleive he was demoted to either AA or A ball last season.

Like I said in my post above League is still a decent pitcher but his fastball jsut isn't wasn't it used to be before his surgery. I think the Jays realize this and the fact that they can get a quality guy like Morrow back is the reason they are moving him. He was great to have in teh bullpen but he has regressed over the last couple of seasons.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Cerebral

Quote:

Yep, they've definitely done a great job identifying pitching talent. The injuries are frustrating and I'm beginning to wonder if Arnsberg might not have a part to play in it.

League definitely has unreal raw stuff but the same can be said about Morrow. The difference is that Morrow has started successfully in the past and could be a fixture in the rotation. On the flip side, League is almost strictly a one-inning pitcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Awesome. I have always been a huge League fan. But he has definitely regressed since his surgery. His fastball just isn't what it used to be. So I think this move is definitely a low risk-potential high reward type of trade. As much as you don't want to go against a young player the Jays jsut hope that Stewart doesn't turn out to be much of a player. But all the best to League in the future.
Yeah, League just wasn't the same since coming back. Stewart is a name that worries me as he has awesome stuff in his own right and with three pretty good pitches, he could be a long-term #2-3 starter. You have to give to get though and Morrow is a classic case of low price, high upside.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
He was such a frustrating pitcher to watch. When he was on, wow, but then he would lose control and all hell would break loose. Like another poster said if he gets some control on that fastball, watch out.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Complete crap. Ya, in theory the jays are owned by a billionaire (RIP Ted) and could spend as much, but it just isn't realistic. Rogers would have to lose money to do it, a lot, the yanks don't lose money, they still gain it. When you look at revenue the Yanks still have the highest if not one of the higest revenue's every year. THe argument is a joke. To say the O's and Jays can spend as much as the yanks is like saying Italy can spend as much on their military as the US, they just choose not to. It isn't feasable. This argument has been proven wrong so many times.

The thing about the MLB is they keep saying, why should the yanks have revenue they have earned taken away. However what no one wants to admit and is painfully obvious to any Economist looking that the MLB, is that the MLB is in a state of a downward spiral. Teams like KC don't win, don't have a chance to, so people stop watching. Becuase the yankeess give them no hope, that is the reason KC has no revenue. So KC didn't earn as much becuase the NYY don't give them a chance to actually hold fans.

The game has no parity, doesn't make as much as a whole as it could becuase most cities don't even see a point of watching. It is a joke. The Yankees are a joke. Unless you are a fine, then you just put on the blinders.
Let's see...where to start...

Parity isn't the goal of sports...

The MLB is so far from a downward spiral it isn't even funny...

You haven't taken into account any of the shared revenue each team gets...(HUGE)

NYY has spent years cultivating a worldwide fanbase...

The O's play in a HUGE market. Toronto's is more than big enough as well.

I could go on...

Old
12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I love this deal, Morrow has a lot of talent. Though his injury concerns fit right in with the jays, mind you League had issues to.

Give it a few years, Morrow, Drabek, Marcum, Romero could be solid.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I love this deal, Morrow has a lot of talent. Though his injury concerns fit right in with the jays, mind you League had issues to.

Give it a few years, Morrow, Drabek, Marcum, Romero could be solid.
There is still Litsch and McGowan too if they can stay healthy. But they could offload some of these talented pitchers for some young up and coming bats like a Lind or Snider.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:40 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You haven't taken into account any of the shared revenue each team gets...(HUGE)

I could go on...
What makes a succeful sport is parity, more or less. There will never be perfect parity nor should there be. If you have a league where litterally most of the players on the Royals wouldn't make the yankees. THat isn't lack of parity, that is just not a real league any more, that is two teams of differnt leagues playing in the same one.

Ya, the yanks advertise like crazy, why. because they have the money to do it. THere is the silly idea that stienbrenner wants to win so bad, fact. every owener is baseball wants to win perhaps just as much as him. Yank fans live in delusion that the yanks just spend because they want to win more.

break down the dollars man, it doens't add up, other teams can't spend and make money, other teams have no way to compete. They can pray for a miracle like Tampa in 08, but that is it.

I don't even want to end the yankess dynasty. I don't even want as much parity as hockey, but there has to be more, there just has to be.

from every one who isn't a yankees fan the league is a joke, I wait for the day the first yankees fan wakes up and says. hmmmm? ; maybe every one esle in the world is right.

could it be you? probably not.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:41 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
There is still Litsch and McGowan too if they can stay healthy. But they could offload some of these talented pitchers for some young up and coming bats like a Lind or Snider.
Cecil to, I love Mcgowan, but untill he can get his health sorted out he is a giant ?

any way will be fun to watch some players build, really lind and Hill are great young peices to build around.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:

I could go on...
So people want to watch mismatched teams?

I never knew that...

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote