HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Another Tough Loss... 4-3 Sabres

Old
12-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Magnum Crackoff

vCash: 500
I don't wanna burn Gomez up so soon... He has some qualities that could benefit the team and in my opinion, he has the same tools as Plekanec right now. He just doesn't bring the emotion and willpower to bring his game up to 1st or 2nd line centerman NHL level. The guy HAS got to bring a better effort to the rink on a consistant basis.

Also keep in mind that Tortorella couldn't motivate him last year, Jacques Martin's got a hell of a job this year to get him going. He's got some point in the last 8 games as buddahsmoka1 pointed out but with his icetime and «status» in the league, we sure can hope for more.

I don't solely blame him on MTL's losses, it's a team game. I just don't see how he is valuable to this hockey team as of now.

Magnum Crackoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:50 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Crackoff View Post
Critisizing Gomez play is not about being cool and into the groove. It's about secondary scoring which Gomez (our highest paid player) can't even do. In fact i would call Gomez work, fourth line scoring material....he just isnt good enough. He his the reason the Habs can't win those games that seem winnable ( Atlanta or tonight to an extent).

We gotta face it, Gomez isn't delivering. I would give him more time to prove himself though, wait for Markov or Gionta to come back. But still...he sucks badly...the same way he did last year...and the year before that.

I'm starting to think he's just a bad player earning big cash. Just like Nylander, Roszival, Redden and many others....
he was horrible 2nite. Why Lapierre is on that 2nd line ill never know

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:54 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Restructering contracts isn't allowed. I am saying who gives a **** about his contract? He is playing fine on both ends of the ice, a contract that he signed 2 years ago has no merit on what fans think of his play.
well the problem with his contract is we might have to let players go because of it. thats the problem with it

Old
12-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Stradale

Quote:
5 points in the last 8 games since his injury is fourth line material? Also he has been playing with players like Pyatt, White and Lapierre on his wing.

Its one thing to say he has a bad contract, he does; but its another to criticize his play because of it. The guy has been one of our better defensive forwards, maybe he isn't scoring at a click that everyone wants, but put some decent wingers on his line andthen make that judgement.
He had played with good teammates at the beginning of the season. He didnt produce either. 11 pts in his first 22 games while playing most of first unit powerplay and with Gionta, Cammalleri, A. Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Latendresse.

Im tired of excuse, that he needs this and that.. **** you're paying top money.. start producing for christ sake. Its not right when defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron has better stats than you. MAB sucks defensively but at least, he's doing the job we paid him for and that is making the PP work. He helps the team to win, something I barely see in Gomez's play. He doesnt need Markov, he doesnt this guy or that guy to produce. He knows his role and does it beautifully.

After 10 games into the season, it was too soon to judge Gomez and his production, after 20 games, still too soon.. can we start to expect more from Gomez now that we are 33 games into the season? Can he start having good games offensively or he absolutely have to wait for Gionta to start producing?

Really, I dont see him give his best out there. He makes play that doesnt make him look bad, but he is not making what the team needs him to.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:28 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
You must Halak's agent.

Go find him a job in Europe, because he can't play in this league.
Funny that the goalie who can't play in this league has a better win% both this year and career and the other goalie in our organization...
Posted via Mobile Device

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:32 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
He had played with good teammates at the beginning of the season. He didnt produce either. 11 pts in his first 22 games while playing most of first unit powerplay and with Gionta, Cammalleri, A. Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Latendresse.

Im tired of excuse, that he needs this and that.. **** you're paying top money.. start producing for christ sake. Its not right when defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron has better stats than you. MAB sucks defensively but at least, he's doing the job we paid him for and that is making the PP work. He helps the team to win, something I barely see in Gomez's play. He doesnt need Markov, he doesnt this guy or that guy to produce. He knows his role and does it beautifully.

After 10 games into the season, it was too soon to judge Gomez and his production, after 20 games, still too soon.. can we start to expect more from Gomez now that we are 33 games into the season? Can he start having good games offensively or he absolutely have to wait for Gionta to start producing?

Really, I dont see him give his best out there. He makes play that doesnt make him look bad, but he is not making what the team needs him to.
Maybe you should lower your expectations. What exactly are you expecting this guy to put up?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:33 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Funny that the goalie who can't play in this league has a better win% both this year and career and the other goalie in our organization...
Posted via Mobile Device
the goalie who can play in this league, but is just not as good as some dilusional fans think he is, also has allowed 4 or more goals 6 times in 11 starts

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:34 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
well that other goalie is at 913 while Halak is at 902

Old
12-15-2009, 02:35 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
In my country there is problem, and that problem consistency. It seems everybody lack it, from the Refs to OB'.
LOL this made me chuckle.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:36 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Maybe you should lower your expectations. What exactly are you expecting this guy to put up?
honestly when we did get him, i knew he wasnt going to put up 80 pts. i would have been happy with 70, which he wont get this yr unless he goes postal in the 2nd half.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:51 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
the goalie who can play in this league, but is just not as good as some dilusional fans think he is, also has allowed 4 or more goals 6 times in 11 starts
Damn, you're right. I was wrong. I hate winning.
Posted via Mobile Device

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:08 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
you wont win to many games giving up 4 or more goals more then 50% of the time.
also, 50% of his wins are against non-playoff teams

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:21 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

lol "moses" ****s up two times and we should ship him to africa right?

two words: HUMAN BEING

one more: CHILL.

he has still done FAARRR more good and far more to help the team than we care to remember, now that he's taken two bad penalties.

not that i'm thrilled about it, but he's still the man.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Ive said several time that my expectation with Gomez arent high since the beginning of the season. I was expecting around 60 pts. I didnt expect much but with the fact that he will play with Gionta, i thought maybe he could improve his production over last season but it doesnt seem to be the case. IIRC, Gionta played every games with Gomez since the beginning of the season and in that stretch, Gomez only manage to get a point ratio of 1pt every two games.

Even if we put his production aside, i dont feel he does everything to make the team win. I know he doesnt have the best winger to produce but i dont see him work hard enough. When I see Plek and Metro in the offensive zone, they are battling hard, playing with emotion.. with Gomez, i feel that he just brings the puck in the offensive zone and his job is done.

I know Sergei and Maxim are not the best goal scorer but with the way some people are praising his playmaking/passing skill, he should make them better, not all the way around.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 05:10 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
You ladies should find the appropriate thread and continue this there, because there were no "weak" goals tonight, so I don't see why you're getting into this.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 05:28 AM
MELANDAN

I still think when we get all our players back we are going to be great , just add Markov and Gionta to our lineup ,,think about it.
Gomaz is trying hard every shift , cut him some slack , he looks happy to be playing for us and try to notice all the defensive plays he makes every game , looks like a GREAT playoff performer .

MELANDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:02 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
We need Gomez to deliver.
It is that simple.
He is paid like a franchise player... is he a franchise player ?

I think not...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Souvenirs

I find it funny that people crap on Gomez in the PGT while my rage is actually directed at Metropolit and O'byrne for costing us the game, or at least a point.
Seriously that's like a 3 game losing streak, but we deserved better each game no?
Got a goal robbed by Chris Lee, were up 2-0 , blew the lead, tied it but bad penalty = we lose in OT, and finally tied game and Metro and O'Byrne crap the bed again.

It must be so disappointing to other players, and all the penalties are killing us, evn on the offensive front. Less icetime for Cammalleri and Akost who are on fire, and Plekanec also plays the PK.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I think Andrei is going to have one of his youtube moments soon. When he's on a roll like this, he usually beats D one on one for chances.
Although it's not exactly what you are talking about, I thought his first against the Thrashers the other night was pretty youtube worthy. Obviously, if he was in full form, he'd have deke'd that last Dman and the goalie as well before scoring, but still, it was something to see (and it happened at the same end as his previous youtube moment against Atlanta). It was perhaps a little more like his goal early last year against the Flyers where he decked Richards before unleashing that laser wrister, the combination of using his strength and his shot on the same play.

Still, if he can top his previous efforts, I'd sure like to see that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I think Pacioretty lost a bit of his confidence, no longer trying to deke. He's still young, he's learning.
I'm not too worried about that. He had some real nice dekes in Hamilton last year but a number of them came deeper in the offensive zone with tighter pressure and when the game was being played at a slower pace, allowing him to use his stride to help him out maneuver the opposition. He is good at rushing the puck up the wing but he had a problem with dekes in those situations last year as well. He'd try that outside-inside drag at speed that he has tried a few times this year and it only worked a couple of times then. Most of the time, he'd start the rush, have the D backing up as his linemates flew into the zone and try and force that move, which I assume worked well for him in college. In the AHL, most of the time, the D would just leave their sticks in front of them and that would stop the rush dead as the puck bounced to the half boards.

He can still pull it off from time to time, but I'm looking forward to seeing him in a few years time with more experience of NHL opposition and prolonged exposure to the puck carrying skills of guys like Cammalleri, Gomez and AK. With his skating ability and hopefully having bulked up a bit, some work on one on one skills with those guys could make him give the other team some real headaches.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:14 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I don't think it was a horrible game. Sure as hell disappointing but I try and keep thinking that with Markov and Gionta back, close games like this will start turning in our favor.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:38 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
We have officially given up the most powerplays and have received the least.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:41 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Pretty much 50% of teams are non-playoff teams. I'm guessing there aren't many goalies out there who don't get half their wins against them.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You ladies should find the appropriate thread and continue this there, because there were no "weak" goals tonight, so I don't see why you're getting into this.
I'm not a Halak basher, but he was weak on the second and fourth goal.

Second goal: The puck went under his pad, not between his legs, the pad should have been on the ice during the movement.

Fourth goal: Why the **** did he try to stop the puck with his glove? he had plenty of time to make a lateral movement.

Overall not a good night at all for Jaro, can't be good with so many scouts present at the game.

Last edited by Spy: 12-15-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Habs

In before the 'Why don't you just go cheer for another team!" comments, get out of hand.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:05 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Pretty much 50% of teams are non-playoff teams. I'm guessing there aren't many goalies out there who don't get half their wins against them.
More than that -- by definition, non-playoff teams lose more than playoff teams, so it's normal for goalies to get over 50% of their wins vs. non-playoff teams.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote