HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dexter

Old
12-15-2009, 02:01 AM
theoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
I can't believe they killed Rita....
Classy.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Classy.
I didn't think it was classy. Seemed like they squeezed it in there, she doesn't even fit Lithgow's profile or code. I know they've usually had a lot of the finales go Dexter's way, but this move seems to have handcuffed them. Plus it's like the biggest cliffhanger in the history of cliffhangers... probably worse than Lost.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:16 AM
theoil

Quote:
I didn't think it was classy. Seemed like they squeezed it in there, she doesn't even fit Lithgow's profile or code. I know they've usually had a lot of the finales go Dexter's way, but this move seems to have handcuffed them. Plus it's like the biggest cliffhanger in the history of cliffhangers... probably worse than Lost.
I was referring to giving away the ending when a number of posters in this thread have already stated they haven't watched it yet.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Spoilers for the lose
Hopefully you change that for those who have said they never watched the show. Jesus.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:28 AM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
I think you're off-base.
Rita's death signifies 2 things:

1. It fits the profile of a desperate Lithgow and signifies the end of his killing spree: 10 year old was abducted (though returned), Mother of 2 (originally, now 3) was killed in the bathtub. Was this 5 days later?
It may be interpreted (by the police) that this was the end of Trinity's killings -> he got sloppy (10 year old returned, mother of 3 killed) -> he skipped town (bank accounts closed and withdrawn).

2. Things had come full circle for Dexter. He was born in blood, now his biological son (carrying Dexter's genes) was born the same. Nature and nurture similarities exist between Dexter and his son. If you read the books you'll have a much better understanding of what's going on.

As far as seasons go, I'd rate it like this:
1. Season 4
2. Season 2
3. Season 3
4. Season 1. I couldn't even make it through 3 episodes of season 1 before I skipped it and started with season 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
I was referring to giving away the ending when a number of posters in this thread have already stated they haven't watched it yet.
Then don't read the thread. What do you think would be talked about in a thread created after the airing of the season finale?

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
1. Season 4
2. Season 2
3. Season 3
4. Season 1. I couldn't even make it through 3 episodes of season 1 before I skipped it and started with season 2.

Then don't read the thread. What do you think would be talked about in a thread created after the airing of the season finale?
So wait.... you haven't watched the first season? As good as the last 4 episodes or so of Season 4 were, the last few episodes of Season 1 are probably better. Like... absolutely incredible.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:39 AM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
So wait.... you haven't watched the first season? As good as the last 4 episodes or so of Season 4 were, the last few episodes of Season 1 are probably better. Like... absolutely incredible.
Honestly? I watched S1E1, was unimpressed but my friend said to give it another shot. I watched S1E2 and was again unimpressed. The same friend told me to start on S2E1, I did that and was instantly hooked. I watched every episode from seasons 2-4 within about a month (an episode or 2 per night before bed) and after last week's episode, I gave season 1 another shot. I watched S1E3, and fell asleep 3/4 of the way though. I think the things I like most about season 2 on is that there has been extensive character development and they all have a defined role by that time. Season 1 was just a mish mash of characters and serial killer Dexter.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Shibumi

vCash: 788
I just started watching Dexter a week ago or so. I am now through the first two seasons and I am impressed so far. Now I have to go buy the next two seasons.

Shibumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Girth

Quote:
The end had a deeper intent than to just creating a cliffhanger. I thought it sad and illogical at first, but the guy was against a capable foe and stretching himself to thin. It wasn't going to be a rosy end

Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:08 AM
theoil

Quote:
After everybody, including the OP, was careful to say not to spoil the ending? Gee, I don't know.

BTW I already saw the final episode. Didn't say I didn't expect to read the ending here. Just that it lacked class to do so.

And, no, it is not surprising to have somebody come along after that was pointed out that didn't understand that either.

Old
12-15-2009, 03:10 AM
Six in O6

This is hf, people don't read posts here. I'd have to rank the seasons 4,1,2,3 I think. Doakes is hilarious in the early seasons and their dialogue is pretty memorable. I can see Quinn getting some Doakes treatment in the near future.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:27 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
I didn't think it was classy. Seemed like they squeezed it in there, she doesn't even fit Lithgow's profile or code.
He didn't have a "code" and it's not like he was above killing for retribution, he warned Dexter twice about going after his family.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:30 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I was kind of ruined for the first season. I had read the book before I watched the show, and they were fairly identical. A couple major differences (Deb finds out he's a killer, LeGeurta dies), but the twist was exactly the same.

Honestly I feel the acting was better in Season 4 and Dexter's arc for the year completely fulfilled. I think Dexter is front runner for Best Drama right now and probably just wrapped it's best season.

Old
12-15-2009, 03:30 AM
Arpeggio

Well I was going to start watching the show, but now I'm all caught up, so I'll just wait till next season now.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Fluffy Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
I have never heard of this show. Feels like I'm waking up from a coma or something. Then again, I've never seen an episode of the Sopranos and think Family Guy sucks.
You could catch the show on Movie Central and watch some on Shaw on Demand in the Movie Central tab under series.

Quote:
I think you're off-base.
Rita's death signifies 2 things:

1. It fits the profile of a desperate Lithgow and signifies the end of his killing spree: 10 year old was abducted (though returned), Mother of 2 (originally, now 3) was killed in the bathtub. Was this 5 days later?
It may be interpreted (by the police) that this was the end of Trinity's killings -> he got sloppy (10 year old returned, mother of 3 killed) -> he skipped town (bank accounts closed and withdrawn).

2. Things had come full circle for Dexter. He was born in blood, now his biological son (carrying Dexter's genes) was born the same. Nature and nurture similarities exist between Dexter and his son. If you read the books you'll have a much better understanding of what's going on.

1. Season 4
2. Season 2
3. Season 3

1) The last episode felt very rushed and I don't see how Rita's death was fitting the MO perfectly. He also specifically targeted Dexter as they should find out when they check his computer and find the Netscope search he did. I also don't see how he got Dexter's home address when the listing they showed was for his old apartment and it appeared to be the only one Trinity wrote down.

2) The books are much different than the tv show. The most obvious thing is that Rita isn't dead in the books while Dexter's adopted kids show signs similar to him. Not to mention how the Dark Passenger is far more than what the tv show makes it appear.

I also don't see how you can rate the first season the worst when it's the closest of all the seasons to the original books. The first season is probably the best out of all of them because it holds true to the books instead of the love triangle that the 2nd has, that Prado crap in the 3rd season and how Trinity from the 4th isn't in the books at all and neither is Rita dying.

Fluffy Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:11 AM
CupofOil

This girl i know turned me on to Dexter last Saturday, i watched one of the Season 4 episodes at her place (which i shouldn't have because i know too much now) so i got the first 3 seasons on DVD to catch up and watched Season 1 over the weekend and i all i have to say is WOW, this is one of the best shows that i've EVER seen.... The acting is superb, there's so many plots and twists, just when you think you have something figured out, you have no idea and i'm in love with Deb ..... I don't want to give away any spoilers for anybody who wants to start watching it from Season 1 but you will not be disappointed...... I got started on Season 2 last night and it seems like it might be better than Season 1 already.
Just an incredibly captivating show

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:50 AM
mpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Seriously, where did you get that? I want it.

P.S. My ball hockey jersey.

truth be told - my gf actually got it for me for x-mas this year

unfortunately when it came in the mail i picked it up and it said on the PKG "DAYMAN T-SHIRT" so the surprise was kind of lost and I got to open it early

going back to some of the older episodes I gotta say my two favorite quotes are

Frank while he is learning after his wife died that she didnt leave him with anything and he screams at the lawyer "YOU TELL HER.....SHES A *****!!!!"

and....

mpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:19 AM
longy85

Dexter has gotta be one of the best shows on TV. However, the books are atrocious. I watched the first season then read the first book. I thought the Jeff Lindsey characters were weak and the twists were predictable.

I think showtime (or whoever produces Dexter) essentially bought the rights to Dexter and said "we'll take it from here Jeff, we know what we're doing". I've read the second and third Dexter book and I think the TV show is way better written and has much better story lines. I think it's the third book (about all that mystical crap) is one of the worst books I've read. I should also say that I don't read Harry Potter or twilight, so maybe that explains why some people like the book.

Also, in the books, Dexter barely kills anyone....that's what makes dexter so damn cool. He is always killing people. I think the third book he killed like 1 person...yes i realize he lost his mojo but whatever, he's god damn dexter.

longy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:32 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by longy85 View Post
Dexter has gotta be one of the best shows on TV. However, the books are atrocious. I watched the first season then read the first book. I thought the Jeff Lindsey characters were weak and the twists were predictable.

I think showtime (or whoever produces Dexter) essentially bought the rights to Dexter and said "we'll take it from here Jeff, we know what we're doing". I've read the second and third Dexter book and I think the TV show is way better written and has much better story lines. I think it's the third book (about all that mystical crap) is one of the worst books I've read. I should also say that I don't read Harry Potter or twilight, so maybe that explains why some people like the book.

Also, in the books, Dexter barely kills anyone....that's what makes dexter so damn cool. He is always killing people. I think the third book he killed like 1 person...yes i realize he lost his mojo but whatever, he's god damn dexter.
I'm sorry, but it's genetically impossible for me to see someone put any two of Harry Potter, Twilight and Dexter in the same category and not insult their intelligence.

Still, I feel compelled to mention that the first book and first season were almost identical. The third book was one of the worst I've read in recent years, but the reason they completely went off the rails is because Jeff Lindsey wrote Dexter with zero remorse and zero empathy - which wouldn't fly in live action.

Old
12-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Ranford

I am glad that they knocked off Rita. Her character was terrible and poorly acted all the time.

Ranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranford View Post
I am glad that they knocked off Rita. Her character was terrible and poorly acted all the time.
But she was hot and had a nice rack.

Anyhow I love Dexter and think it is one of the best Dramas currently on television and possibly of all time. With that said I haven't seen any of season 4 as I wait til it comes out on DVD and then buy it and watch it then.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:01 PM
longy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I'm sorry, but it's genetically impossible for me to see someone put any two of Harry Potter, Twilight and Dexter in the same category and not insult their intelligence.
Fair enough, but I just tend to group people into the harry potter fan club when i hear they really enjoy a book as terribly written and conceived as the third dexter book. I agree the first book wasn't bad, it was hardly good though, especially in comparison to the first season. The twists in the first season were much better thought out, particularly the last couple of episodes.

My bottom line: the producers/director/writers (ie, somebody) has far surpassed Jeff Lindsay's ability to further the Dexter story line in an original and exciting way.

longy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:11 PM
misfit

I love that this thread copmpletely turned into an "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" thread. Especially considering I opened the thread with the intention of doing just that.

Just when I think I'll never see eye-to-eye with the majority of HFOil posters on anything...

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I love that this thread copmpletely turned into an "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" thread. Especially considering I opened the thread with the intention of doing just that.

Just when I think I'll never see eye-to-eye with the majority of HFOil posters on anything...
Awesome, something to finally add to your resume.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Stoneman89

Obviously some other Dexter fans on here besides myself. I certainly didn't come on here with the intention of "ruining things" for anyone that has it taped and still wants to see it. But I wanted to see what some people thought of the last episode, so with that in mind, if you don't want to see more detail, please..

DO NOT READ MORE OF THIS POST.

I think Dexter is in deep doo-doo for next year. He will looked at as a suspect regardless of what they find, I think. The spouse always gets a prime looksee when the wife is killed. It doesn't look good that he was in an argument with the neighbour over kissing Rita. And I'm not sure what he'll say when he's questioned as to where he was during the time of the murder. Who looks after the kids now? I see the grandparents getting them for a while. As usual, Dex will somehow squirm out of this mess. But he ****ed it up real good this time.

A couple things....

For those of you who haven't seen this (Guy Flaming, etc), all I can say is, make sure you have a strong stomach. If you do, once you're in the door, you're hooked.

Secondly, the opening to the show, has to be the coolest one I have ever seen, with the multiple innuendos. I never get tired of watching it.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote