HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grachev vs. Anisimov

Old
12-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Grachev vs. Anisimov

Grachev has exactly the same points per game as Anisimov did in his rookie year. If Grachev plays the same 74 games, he'll have the same exact 43 points.

To be honest, I was hoping for a little more. I still have high hopes for Grachev, obviously, but I hope he picks it up a little bit and hits 60 points by the end of this season. Unless he can establish himself as a point per game performer in the second half of this season, he probably won't be ready for top-9 duty next year, as many of us are hoping he will be.

Anisimov first had to establish himself as a ppg performer and only then did he have a good shot to make it.

[This is not a post arguing that we should give up on him or that stats are be all, end all, so please, keep your snide comments to yourself. I just wanted to track Anisimov's progress objectively. Not having rose-colored glasses isn't the same as calling someone a bust.]

Last edited by Beacon: 12-15-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
NYR Viper

They play different positions. Anisimov, as a center needed to make sure he had the defensive awareness and strength to battle for pucks defensively. Grachev is a winger, and his game will translate a little better from the AHL to the NHL as his size will still be a factor no matter what. I would be happy with a 2nd line with Grachev and Anisimov for the foreseeable future, nothing wrong with that.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:58 PM
ecemleafs

i imagine grachev will pick up his pace as the season goes on. he started slow in the ohl. and generally a young player will mature as the season progresses.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
They play different positions. Anisimov, as a center needed to make sure he had the defensive awareness and strength to battle for pucks defensively. Grachev is a winger, and his game will translate a little better from the AHL to the NHL as his size will still be a factor no matter what. I would be happy with a 2nd line with Grachev and Anisimov for the foreseeable future, nothing wrong with that.
Honestly, I had been hoping that one of them would eventually become a first liner. They are our top 2 prospects. If neither of them becomes a first liner, then those behind them are just more third-line interchangeable parts. Some people may surprise us, but if the top two prospects are only second liners, then the rest cannot be projected right now to be more than average third liners at most.

Old
12-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Honestly, I had been hoping that one of them would eventually become a first liner. They are our top 2 prospects. If neither of them becomes a first liner, then those behind them are just more third-line interchangeable parts. Some people may surprise us, but if the top two prospects are only second liners, then the rest cannot be projected right now to be more than average third liners at most.
I dunno if it's true that those are our top two. Stepan and McDonagh both have strong cases to make. In a year, Kreider might as well. He seems like he has the most raw skill of anyone in our system.
Honestly, it's still way too early to tell on both of the Russians, but I envision Anisimov as an excellent second-liner and Grachev as a fringe-first liner.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
In a year, Kreider might as well.

I suspect Werek may be better than Kreider. He doesn't skate as well, but when he scores, which is rather often this year, these are goalscorer's goals, not garbage inside the crease. I definitely think he has top-6 potential.

Old
12-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I suspect Werek may be better than Kreider. He doesn't skate as well, but when he scores, which is rather often this year, these are goalscorer's goals, not garbage inside the crease. I definitely think he has top-6 potential.
I really like both guys quite frankly. Time will tell.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:03 AM
The Thomas J.*

I like both guys & I think they bcould be a 2nd line paring for years to come. I think Anisimov would have been send down by now if there were better options for the team.l I'm glad he hasn't been sent down yet, the kid is showing promise & is coming along at his own pace.

I think we will see Grachev sometime next season at the NHL level. I can't see him making the jumo to the NHL in training camp next year.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:43 AM
pld459666

While not the prototypical power forward, Grachev is a rather big kid that is still learning what his abilities are as well as his limitations.

What he is doing in the AHL right now should have been expected.

Anything more would be a bonus.

It's as huge a jump from juniors to the AHL as it is from the AHL to the NHL. In fact I'd say the jump from the Junior ranks to the AHL is harder than going from AHL to NHL in that in Juniors you are playing against kids that for the most part are all smaller and slower than you.

In the AHL, they are alot more talented and for the most part as big and as fast as you are.

Grachev is progressing very nicely. No need to be concerned at all.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Levitate

Give him time to put it together...I think his potential is higher than Anisimov's, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is ready to dominate the A from day one and shoot right up into the NHL. He's obviously still learning what it takes to be a pro at the moment.

We expect too much out of these kids too fast these days

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Blueblood 2

The tank will roll in the NHL for many years. Still learning to use the weapon systems and proper battlefield tactics.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Grachev's doing fine. I'm more concerned about his compete level than I am about his skill or production. Once he figures out the former, the points will follow. His skill is unquestionable. He has the size, the speed, and the hands to be a top-six forward in the NHL. Will he be a first liner? Too early to tell. 1/3rd of a season doesn't mean a whole lot at this point in his career.

Anisimov is a different player. He has a great commitment to defense but he also has some offensive flair. I think what he's missing in his game is confidence, but you see it more and more each game. The other night against Atlanta, after Kubina (I think) dumped Avery in front of the net, Artie came over and stood up to him. He wasn't doing that kind of thing earlier in the season. It's a good sign.

Artie has the size and hockey sense that coaches look for in a #1 center, but he lacks foot speed and he plays a pretty simple game. I think once he gets stronger and starts to take advantage of his size, he'll be a very good 2nd line center. If he can start bringing out the puck skill he has, he could be a good 1st liner. But again, it's a little early to close the book on his potential.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:40 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Grachev's doing fine. I'm more concerned about his compete level than I am about his skill or production. Once he figures out the former, the points will follow. His skill is unquestionable. He has the size, the speed, and the hands to be a top-six forward in the NHL. Will he be a first liner? Too early to tell. 1/3rd of a season doesn't mean a whole lot at this point in his career.

Anisimov is a different player. He has a great commitment to defense but he also has some offensive flair. I think what he's missing in his game is confidence, but you see it more and more each game. The other night against Atlanta, after Kubina (I think) dumped Avery in front of the net, Artie came over and stood up to him. He wasn't doing that kind of thing earlier in the season. It's a good sign.

Artie has the size and hockey sense that coaches look for in a #1 center, but he lacks foot speed and he plays a pretty simple game. I think once he gets stronger and starts to take advantage of his size, he'll be a very good 2nd line center. If he can start bringing out the puck skill he has, he could be a good 1st liner. But again, it's a little early to close the book on his potential.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I expected probably a little more from Artie production wise thus far, but we should also keep in mind that Anisimov is currently 4th among Rangers forwards in points but only 7th among rangers forwards in TOI. In addition, he is currently averaging only 0:21 of PP time per game. Bumping up just his PP time would definitely give his stats a bit of a boost and maybe open up his offensive game a bit more overall.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I am hoping either Step or Werek turn into a first line center. If so, we'd be excellent down the middle because AA and Dubi will be excellent second liners, and Boyle is a good fourth liner.

If Werek/Step turn into a second liner, we will be ok with 3 second liners, but nothing special.

On the left wing, I hope Grachev becomes a first liner and either Kreider or Bourque a second liner with someone like Parenteau and Weise on the third line.

We are decent on RW so long as Gabby is healthy. Cally can play on the second line and Lisin on the third. Not amazing, but better than average.

In 3 years, we could be very good if things work out or very mediocre in 5-10 spot if things don't go our way.