HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Spezza - UPDATE (19/01/10: Back Saturday?

View Poll Results: With Spezza out, what do we do?
Panic 21 23.33%
Sign a free agent 5 5.56%
Trade for another top 6 forward 15 16.67%
Hang in there and hope our current centers to step up for him 49 54.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-15-2009, 11:28 AM
MatthewT

vCash: 500
the citizen says it could be up to 8 weeks

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/index.html

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:29 AM
coldspam

why didn't they call up Keller? I thought he would be the most suitable guy to fill Spezza's void

coldspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:30 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
That's not how it works.

Is Spezza is out for the year, won't return at all can go over by 4.0
But if he does return and we go over, when he returns we immediately need to cut upon however much we went over.
I'm aware of the general idea. It wouldn't be that hard to get back under when he returns. Just need to waive a player like Cheechoo, maybe trade Kelly. I'm not suggesting going all the way over but maybe there's a move out there that only requires an additional 800k or so. I'm surprised more GMs don't take advantage of this part of the CBA.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:32 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I'm aware of the general idea. It wouldn't be that hard to get back under when he returns. Just need to waive a player like Cheechoo, maybe trade Kelly. I'm not suggesting going all the way over but maybe there's a move out there that only requires an additional 800k or so. I'm surprised more GMs don't take advantage of this part of the CBA.
much easier said then done, especially when its not your money

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:33 AM
alfstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patizzie View Post
I can't wait till we lose 10 in a row and all the people start saying "MAN I WISH SPEZZA WOULD GET BACK"

tis a good day for the Spezza haters, on the bright side if he goes on long term injury we save sap space and can just pick up Ward won't have to wait the re entry............................

You cant wait for us to lose 10 in a row...... what kind of spezza fanboy are you. I love spezza but have some faith in your team!

we always seem to pick it up when spezz gets injured so im not too worried, we can start to play simple instead of trying to get the highlight on every goal.

alfstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldspam View Post
why didn't they call up Keller? I thought he would be the most suitable guy to fill Spezza's void
Keller plays RW.

Also Keller also had a chance, you have to give more guys opportunities...

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patizzie View Post
I can't wait till we lose 10 in a row and all the people start saying "MAN I WISH SPEZZA WOULD GET BACK"

tis a good day for the Spezza haters, on the bright side if he goes on long term injury we save sap space and can just pick up Ward won't have to wait the re entry............................
We won't lose 10 in a row. As a matter of fact, we may win MORE without McTurnover feeding the opposing team. Team commitment to defense, positional zone play = win. Spezza wasn't contributing much until the past few games anyway, so no big loss on the scoreboard.

This is also a HUGE win in that Spezza will be rested for a playoff run...which is the only thing that matters. Rest up Spezz and the team'll take care of business!

Senators Growing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Comely

vCash: 384
I wonder what the lines are going to look like tomorrow... I hope he keeps the Folingo-Fisher-Kovalev line together as they have been playing well, so has the Rutuu-Kelly-Cheechoo line so maybe just try one of Winnie, Regin or Hennesy between Michalek and Alfie?

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:00 PM
utah

Perhaps the results will prove me wrong, but I'm certainly not sweating the fact that the Sens are going to lose a guy for two months who has five goals to his credit in 30 games.

Frankly, I think Clouston has been giving Spezza a ton of undeserved ice-time...perhaps in the hope that he can get back on track.

I don't hate Spezza. When he's on, he can be great. But he hasn't been on for most of the season and despite some recent goals, his turnovers and soft play on the puck has been driving me nuts.

I say replace Spezza's dipsy-doodles, stupid back-passes and constant turnovers with some grit and determination....and let's see what happens next. Maybe Spezza can learn a thing or two from watching how others get it done.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:02 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
I wonder what the lines are going to look like tomorrow... I hope he keeps the Folingo-Fisher-Kovalev line together as they have been playing well, so has the Rutuu-Kelly-Cheechoo line so maybe just try one of Winnie, Regin or Hennesy between Michalek and Alfie?
Winnie was playing with Michalek and Alfie at practice

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:07 PM
L'Aveuglette

vCash: 1000
Bye bye Olympics.

Not that he had much of a chance, but eh.

This really sucks though.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:08 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
much easier said then done, especially when its not your money
Very true but, it could be the difference in making the playoff, which in itself will likely pay for itself just with the guaranteed 2 home games, without even considering the impact on season ticket sales.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:08 PM
bdp

Maybe that will give him time to recover from his nagging groin/back injuries as well. Hopefully he can return in better shape and be a more effective player.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Synthetek

vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
I'd like to see Regin between Michalek and Alfie, give him a chance with quality ice time.

Synthetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:11 PM
SilverSeven

When spezza was out earlier this year the team looked horrible. This is terrible terrible news. How anyone can think otherwise is beyond me.

Damnit fisher, stop hurting everyone!

Also, I would prefer regin between alfie and michalek. Fishers line shouldn't be touched. Id rather have the forecheck and energy of bass then hennessy as well.

We have said it before...but you have to think this is hennesseys last shot in the organization.

Last edited by danishh: 12-15-2009 at 01:48 PM.
SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

That sucks for you guys, arguably your best forward out. It seems like every team is loosing a big piece of their team for weeks/months this year, makes no sense.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:25 PM
N Bahn Ahden

This is a massive blow. 2 months without your top centre, whether he's struggling or not, hurts. I hope this doesn't initiate a Campoli style trade by Murray.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

Well, I guess it's safe to say that we can get ready for ALOT of rumours about the Sens trying to acquire a top 6 forward starting now.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:28 PM
SENSfreak_03

So what is Murray offering for Comrie

Despite his struggles, it is a blow. As mentioned, teams still do concentrate on him. With him out, Fisher becomes the target to shutdown, this will be a really good test for him, hopefully he can pass it.

Regin or Winchester in between Alfie and MM for me, Winnie has really earned it with his play. Regin I think could do well to.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Northern Neighbour

How long before the "Spezza Appreciation Thread" gets started.

This is a very tough loss for the Sens. Spezza was starting to find his offensive groove, and now this setback on a freak accident. Hopefully other Senators can step up and contribute. This is a great opportunity for a player like Regin to show that he belongs in the NHL.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:33 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Sounds like an MCL tear. Which at least is better than an ACL tear. If it is MCL then it will fully heal. I fully tore my MCL on Nov 2nd playing football against Edmonton, and I'm out till end of January. Yet he can afford phsyio and the best doctors.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:38 PM
hackeynight

Might not be the right thread and it sucks for any team to lose a player like Spezza for a long period of time but if Fisher takes his game to an even higher level while he is out do you guys think he will be named to the Olympic team?

I think he should be, I mean if he played like this last season and kept it up this season he would be a lock, so why not name a player who is doing it now instead of someone who played great last year and isn't playing well this year.

hackeynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano View Post
Maybe that will give him time to recover from his nagging groin/back injuries as well. Hopefully he can return in better shape and be a more effective player.
Good point, for weeks it has seemed like Spezza's back has been causing major problems and he's been in need of a break. Maybe this will force him to take it easy on the back and permit him to come back better than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetek View Post
I'd like to see Regin between Michalek and Alfie, give him a chance with quality ice time.
Agreed, he played very well on the skilled lines in the preseason. I'd like to see what he can do there again. Plus, Winchester can continue to dominate on the 3rd line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan83 View Post
This is just like 06-07... only this time we go all the way.
You mean Fisher will get injured in a few days? And then Winchester?

Thats gonna suck. But if you're right about the results i'm ok with it.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Puckhog27

Losing Spezza will hurt a lot, but I think other teams will still check the Michalek/Alfie unit over the Folingo/Fisher/Kovalev unit. None the less we may need to see some changes to the top lines if Spezza is out for a long time. Fisher may need to become the number one center and someone else may need to take over the second line center role. Also it's possible to swap the wingers around to different lines in an attempt to find more balance offensively.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:42 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs247 View Post
Might not be the right thread and it sucks for any team to lose a player like Spezza for a long period of time but if Fisher takes his game to an even higher level while he is out do you guys think he will be named to the Olympic team?

I think he should be, I mean if he played like this last season and kept it up this season he would be a lock, so why not name a player who is doing it now instead of someone who played great last year and isn't playing well this year.
He should be but he's still got some stiff competition in Stamkos, Neal, Richards, Morrow, and maybe Penner.

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote