HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Jason Spezza - UPDATE (19/01/10: Back Saturday?

View Poll Results: With Spezza out, what do we do?
Panic 21 23.33%
Sign a free agent 5 5.56%
Trade for another top 6 forward 15 16.67%
Hang in there and hope our current centers to step up for him 49 54.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-16-2009, 09:00 AM
MatthewT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPshot View Post
It's a no-brainer.

We have a core of guys who have been around for a while that need the confidence that would come from being in the playoffs and perhaps winning a round. Extra revenue would help our owner make positive decisions and we'd probably be able to attrace more free agents if need be.

We can't trade all of this for a top-ten pick. We had one last year, now we move forward!

agree, experience is the best teacher

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:14 AM
utah

After missing the playoffs last year, a reasonable expectation for the Sens....would be that they miss the playoffs again this year. The Sens have exceeded that expectation by maintaining a playoff position in the standings through the first 32 games. They have managed this, despite the loss of their number one goalie....and another key player ( Neil ).

I don't think that there is anyone in the Senators organization, that has anything in mind other than making the playoffs. Should the Sens fall outside the top 8, attention will be turned to the draft at the end of the season. Until then, the goal remains the playoffs.....and fans should share that goal in my opinion.

Considering the loss of Heatley, the string of injuries, and the pathetic season ( so far ) from the team's number one centre.....I'd say the team is doing quite well (all things considered). Thankfully, some players have stepped up ( like Fisher ) to compensate for those who are not playing well ( like Spezza ).

Until the Sens play a few games without him, it's hard to quantify how the Spezza injury will impact the team. The fact that Spezza has played poorly ( especially recently, despite a few goals ), would lead me to believe that his loss will have less impact, than some might fear. I for one, won't miss watching his blind passes to opponents and his turnovers when he dangles the puck until an opponent takes it away. I could be wrong though, and maybe Spezza will be sorely missed.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how others might step up during Spezza's absence. Hopefully, Spezza can find his game in the re-hab centre, and come back stronger after his recovery. Until such time Spezza returns, it is what it is....and the team simply has to adapt to the situation they find themselves in.

Go Sens Go!

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
I don't think so...

Leclaire has been out for a little less then half this season and we were still able to maintain a playoff spot. Say what you want, but Elliott has stepped up and looking at the big picture the team hasn't missed a beat. Same with Spezza, he along with Leclaire were both struggling for a bit before their respective injuries, and hopefully someone can step up in his place just like Elliott has.
What?? I can count on one hand the number of games where he actually stepped up. He's had many bad games and allowed many back breaking goals. If he has actually stepped up, we'd likely have 3 or 4 more wins.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:57 AM
BigEyedPhish

Last time this happened we went to the finals

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:03 AM
MatthewT

Its official Spezza has a torn MCL, 6-8 weeks, unlikely to play before olympic break....

ian_mendes

Spezza has torn MCL. Will miss 6-8 weeks. No surgery required. "We'll be lucky if he's back before Olympic break" - Clouston.

Old
12-16-2009, 10:06 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasberry Strudel View Post
What?? I can count on one hand the number of games where he actually stepped up. He's had many bad games and allowed many back breaking goals. If he has actually stepped up, we'd likely have 3 or 4 more wins.
hes stepped up in the sense that he has pretty much made the loss of our number 1 on non-issue, I didn't mean it in the sense that he has stepped up and played like Ryan Miller, but he has definitely been adequate. If we can get someone else to step up and make the loss of Spezza a non-issue just like Elliott has then we will be ok. Don't lose mind of the fact that Elliott has only played about 50 games or so in the NHL and has played 12-13 in a row now. There are plenty of other teams that wish they could make the loss of their number a non factor.

Old
12-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Slow Hands
The feels

vCash: 50
Well, even he's back right before the olympic break, he might as well just wait til the olympics are over so he can come out nice and fresh.

Dangit, I really hope he comes out of this injury with a little fire in his belly.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
TheBandWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
Well, even he's back right before the olympic break, he might as well just wait til the olympics are over so he can come out nice and fresh.

Dangit, I really hope he comes out of this injury with a little fire in his belly.

that might take a lot of lighter fluid

TheBandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
I agree, Elliot hasn't really stepped up. He's capable of playing much better than he has, but he's done "ok" given the workload he has to deal with.

Replacing Spezza is probably going to be much easier. Forwards are the easiest players to replace, you merely move up a couple players in the depth chart and allocate minutes a little differently on the lines to adjust.

Losing a #1 goalie means that you play a 2nd string guy for 60 minutes for almost the entire time he's away. Much more difficult situation to deal with, and very few teams actually can deal with a loss like that.

I just hope that they give Regin a fair shot at being the 2nd line Center in place of Winchester. Don't get me wrong, Winchester has been a fantastic player lately but I don't think he has the vision to fill a scoring role like Regin could. If Fisher continues to play well, and Regin actually pans out playing in a scoring role, we'll be just fine without Spezza.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Alfredsson11

Sens went 9-3-2 without Spez in 06-07.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:03 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
But they looked terrible without him this year.

I hope they can pull together. He will be like a trade deadline aquisition lol.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:32 PM
porknbeans

Hmm, our team is pretty mediocre this year and these injuries (spezza and foligno now!) are going to be a huge problem.

Ugh

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
Unfortunately, you are comparing a Stanley Cup finals team to a mediocre, playoff missing team (last year). I don't think we can draw a straight parallel between the two scenarios.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:57 PM
SENSfreak_03

Quote:
Unfortunately, you are comparing a Stanley Cup finals team to a mediocre, playoff missing team (last year). I don't think we can draw a straight parallel between the two scenarios.
you can't compare, but at the time those guys went down we were an average team as well. I don't think anyone expected that team to go to the finals at that point in the season.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:02 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Its official Spezza has a torn MCL, 6-8 weeks, unlikely to play before olympic break....

ian_mendes

Spezza has torn MCL. Will miss 6-8 weeks. No surgery required. "We'll be lucky if he's back before Olympic break" - Clouston.
There are very different degrees of tearing your MCL I have done it twice one to each knee. I had a grade 3 tear which was a complete tear and nerve damage that took me 4 months to return. I had a grade 2 in which i was back in just under a month (probably too early). Anyone have any word on what grade tear it is?

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Brycios

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandWagon View Post
that might take a lot of lighter fluid
If I've got this right, what you are telling me is that we need to slip some lighter fluid into Spezza's Gatorade. I like the idea, but I get the feeling that the Senators' trainers may have concerns regarding health risks.

Brycios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:15 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
There are very different degrees of tearing your MCL I have done it twice one to each knee. I had a grade 3 tear which was a complete tear and nerve damage that took me 4 months to return. I had a grade 2 in which i was back in just under a month (probably too early). Anyone have any word on what grade tear it is?
sorry im not a doc, just going by what ian mendes said...

Old
12-16-2009, 03:46 PM
TheBandWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycios View Post
If I've got this right, what you are telling me is that we need to slip some lighter fluid into Spezza's Gatorade. I like the idea, but I get the feeling that the Senators' trainers may have concerns regarding health risks.
High risk high reward

TheBandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:39 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
I already posted it on the trade forum, would Koivu be a good fill in?

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 06:54 AM
OgieO

This would be the time for Kovalev and/or Alfie to get hot and dominate for a few weeks.

Hope the break allows his back to heal and when he comes back he's his old self again.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:49 AM
enviro61

Do you think Heatley is poisoning or has poisoned Spezza. Obviously he hated Ottawa and being best buds with Spezza keeps in touch with him. Do you think he bad mouths the Sens to Spezz and tells him to gtfo? I suppose he does to an extent but just wondering if maybe part of Spezza'a play is attributable to his friends leaving, not happy with Ottawa anymore or something of the sort.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:52 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
Do you think Heatley is poisoning or has poisoned Spezza. Obviously he hated Ottawa and being best buds with Spezza keeps in touch with him. Do you think he bad mouths the Sens to Spezz and tells him to gtfo? I suppose he does to an extent but just wondering if maybe part of Spezza'a play is attributable to his friends leaving, not happy with Ottawa anymore or something of the sort.
If this is true and Spezza wants out the Sens are ****ed.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
No, it isn't. Perish the thought. Is it always worst case scenario with you crazies?

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:11 PM
kyle747

Quote:
umm who ever said they were really friends ? I doubt they have been in contact at all.

I also doubt Spezza's wife feels real friendly toward Heatley

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:38 PM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
umm who ever said they were really friends ? I doubt they have been in contact at all.

I also doubt Spezza's wife feels real friendly toward Heatley
It's common knowledge they are good friends. Spezza has publically stated this numerous times.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote