HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Season in Chunks

Old
12-15-2009, 06:01 AM
theranfordflop

vCash: 500
Season in Chunks

Hi all. Just wanted to share some numbers that you guys might find interesting. I wanted to see what the progress of the team was like in certain key statistical categories throughout the season, so I decided to chunk it up in to 10 and 11 game sets. I'm going to keep doing this for the rest of the games (all 10 game sets starting with today's game). I just used NHL.com data for this:

RecordGF/GGA/GSF/GSA/GASD/GSHT%OSHT%PP%OPP%
First 11 Games6-4-13.362.9125.0933.36-8.2713.41%8.72%20.4%23.3%
Next 10 Games2-6-22.13.128.433.1-4.77.39%9.37%24.3%24.2%
Last 11 Games7-3-13.27331.3631.55-0.1810.68%9.51%14.3%20%

I'm also computing shot differential ranges, but I haven't figured out how best to present them yet. If anybody wants to see any different data, let me know.

EDIT: I've added PP% and OPP% to the stats. Interesting.

Last edited by theranfordflop: 12-15-2009 at 01:46 PM.
theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:08 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Surprising to see how they've managed to catch up in the shot differential department the last 11 games. Surprising in a good way, I mean.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:09 AM
theranfordflop

Two things I initially noticed when looking at these numbers:

1. The Oilers have drastically improved in shots for, but that improvement can also been seen in the second 10 game set, in which we had our worst losing stretch of the season.

2. The average shooting percentage of a team through an 82 game season is usually in the 9% to 10% range. So we were really beating the odds in the first 11 games we played, but then really fell through the floor. In our last ten we were at about average, perhaps a bit higher than average.

IMO, injuries didn't really impede the team as much as people suspected. In my eyes the numbers are typical of a developing team. First they learned how to get more pucks on net, then they gradually figured out how to convert those to goals.

What do you guys see happening in the next ten games?

Old
12-15-2009, 06:11 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
What do you guys see happening in the next ten games?
We'll probably lose at least 2 more key players for the season due to injuries.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:20 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
We'll probably lose at least 2 more key players for the season due to injuries.
Hahaha! I mean what do you think the numbers will look like?

Personally, I think we'll see shots for dip a little bit, along with shots against, with the differential evening out because of that.

Old
12-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Timo

To sum up the season:

Woo-Hoo!

D'oh!

Woo-Hoo!

Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:34 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
To sum up the season:

Woo-Hoo!

D'oh!

Woo-Hoo!
Well, I think the numbers show more than that. It's often said (usually by MacTavish) that sometimes on the road to getting better, you lose some games that you probably should win. It's the definition of growing pains.

I think the numbers tell that tale. Even in that 2-6-2, all of the teams shooting stats improved. And the oppositions chances have roughly been about the same, slightly on the positive side.

It's easy to look at the record and say, "well they were a bad team during that stretch." But when you actually watch the games, particularly against teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, CBJ, and Atlanta, they really weren't that bad, and actually carried the play. If they actually got half the points they deserved there, they would have been around 4-4-2 in that span, not all that bad. And the numbers support that viewing of the teams performance.

It would be a good prognostication to say that the Oilers will not have a stretch of games as bad as 2-6-2 for the rest of the season. I don't think injuries will have that kind of effect on this team any more. They may slide to more of a .500 record in future 10 game chunks, but I think that's as low as they go. My guess is that won't be enough to get them in to the playoffs, but it's not too bad for this year.

And as we've seen lately, the sky's the limit.

Last edited by theranfordflop: 12-15-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old
12-15-2009, 01:52 PM
oil101

i figured out after the vancouver game that the oil needed 6 points every 5 games for the rest of the season to make 90pts, cutoff for the last 2 seasons in the west was 91pts. well they have 10 in the last 5. if they now go 6pts every 5 they will be at 94pts end of season. i am still giving them a chance to make the dance, as they are still picking up the message from mr.quinn. i say they go, on avg. , 6-3-1 in their 10 game stretches. still think a "real" top line center would put us over the top. wish list- third line center to win some draws( at less than 5.5 mil ) and a bonified shut down d-man.

Last edited by oil101: 12-15-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: cant add to 10
oil101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:54 PM
theranfordflop

Adding the PP numbers in also tells an interesting tale. We were better on the PP during that losing stretch than we are now. In fact, the past 11 games have been horrible for us on the PP... Yet we're still winning games?

The good news though is that we're improving slowly on the PK, and if we can supplement the mostly consistent play with better PP performances all around, then we'll be a pretty tough team to grab a win off of.

Could the low PP numbers be another part of the growing pains we're seeing? Where do you guys think the PP will rank by the end of the season. My guess... 21% top 10 in the league.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:45 PM
koeltrain

While the record has looked good for two stretches of the season, the goals against has been terrible all year long. I honestly do not think they can maintain a goals for above 3 for long stretches, so I see a see-saw season being the norm. Unless the defense tightens up substantially that is, which could happen now that Gilbert is playing better and if we could remove Struds from the lineup. While I supported Strudwick in the past, he has been brutal for giveaways this year. He is not a really bad option for a 7th dman, but not really all that great when forced into action.

Overall, the numbers tell me not to be too optimistic. I think it is too easy to see two good stretches and one bad one and think that the team is in fact substantially better than it is. Sadly, another losing streak is just around the corner and that isn't too great when they are already out of a playoff position.

As for PP% I think most teams have a tendency to get hot and cool down for stretches. We are much better at home on the PP, so the road trip (even though successful) was detrimental to the PP%.

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Kinda weird that our shots for have risen while our PP was the best during the big slump. Also our opponents have had a better PP for the most part than us.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Harley

That second 10 we were blowing chunks.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Tree444

what's the record with stone in the lineup?

Tree444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Velocirapture
The Evil User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree444 View Post
what's the record with stone in the lineup?
10-2-1 from what i can gather.

Velocirapture is offline   Reply With Quote