HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

If we became sellers

Old
12-13-2009, 01:14 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
If we became sellers

Hypothetically, if we became sellers at the deadline, what pieces would you move, and what do you think you could get back for them?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:28 AM
17futurecap

Higgins and Prospal because they are expiring contracts, and would not mind moving Girardi with our d-depth right now. Not sure if Sather would want draft picks for the expiring contracts, kind of like Burke getting what 2nd rounders for both Dom Moore and Antropov.

EDIT- Obviously Redden, Rozi, and Drury, but those are a given.

Last edited by 17futurecap: 12-13-2009 at 01:31 AM. Reason: add
17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Crease

Unlike last time, there's really nothing here to sell. We should attempt to get rid of the Albatross contracts (Redden, Drury, Rosival), and we might find something of value for Prospal (who I don't think we should resign) and Higgins. I'm fine with keeping Callahan and Dubinsky, but on Stanley Cup contenders neither of them are first line players.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:32 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
If we're going to be "sellers" then we have to do it right. That means move at LEAST 1, preferably 2 of our big contracts. Not small contracts for players that are actually semi-valuable like Prospal and Higgins. I realize they're gonna be UFA so obviously we should try to move them if we need to, but that's not really being a seller, that's just trying to get some sort of value for a guy you're not gonna resign anyway. If we assume the role of sellers, it needs to have lasting impact, it needs to set us up in the right situation for the future, because if we don't move one of our contracts, then next year we'll be in the exact same spot. Maybe the names Higgins and Prospal won't be the same, but we'll have the same filler type players, and still be completely stuck with our horrible contracts.

Gotta move at LEAST 1, preferably 2 (pr 3!) of the big ones for it to be worth anything, otherwise it's totally half-assed.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:49 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
If we're going to be "sellers" then we have to do it right. That means move at LEAST 1, preferably 2 of our big contracts. Not small contracts for players that are actually semi-valuable like Prospal and Higgins. I realize they're gonna be UFA so obviously we should try to move them if we need to, but that's not really being a seller, that's just trying to get some sort of value for a guy you're not gonna resign anyway. If we assume the role of sellers, it needs to have lasting impact, it needs to set us up in the right situation for the future, because if we don't move one of our contracts, then next year we'll be in the exact same spot. Maybe the names Higgins and Prospal won't be the same, but we'll have the same filler type players, and still be completely stuck with our horrible contracts.

Gotta move at LEAST 1, preferably 2 (pr 3!) of the big ones for it to be worth anything, otherwise it's totally half-assed.
Teams that go on buying sprees at the deadline, in general, aren't looking to take on huge contracts unless they're expiring huge contracts. Nobody wants Drury for 2 more seasons at that number, nor Redden/Roszival, for that matter.

Higgins and Prospal will draw the biggest interest. Both would fetch a respectable return.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Unlike last time, there's really nothing here to sell. We should attempt to get rid of the Albatross contracts (Redden, Drury, Rosival), and we might find something of value for Prospal (who I don't think we should resign) and Higgins. I'm fine with keeping Callahan and Dubinsky, but on Stanley Cup contenders neither of them are first line players.
There are several assets we could sell. Higgins, Kotalik, Prospal at forward could all bring back at least a second rounder. Rosie should have some takers, though at a minimum return like a 5th rounder. Redden may have a taker, but maybe not.

Brashear will have a taker, maybe for a third or fourth round pick. Drury would have a taker if he waived his NMC.

I think reasonably speaking, we could get 3 second rounders, a third and a fifth, while clearing a lot of cap room for Higgins, Prospal, Kotalik, Brash and Rosie.

That's not bad return. We should be able to get one top-6 forward with those 5 picks. I would do it.

A fire sale would clear up a lot of cap space ($11.5 million), while getting us a few more decent prospects. It's worth doing in a season when we aren't going to do anything great anyway. A firesale in 2010 would significantly improve our odds of winning the Cup in 2012 (using the cap space) and 2015 (with the addition of another top-6 forward we would likely draft with one of the picks).

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

well, heres how I would break it down.

Untouchable:
Lundqvist
Staal
Michael Del Zotto
Gaborik
Grachev (He's borderline, but I still believe in this kid)

Would move, but only at the right price (ie, we win the trade hands down):
Callahan
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Sanguinetti
Avery
Gilroy

Have no problem moving them and should be able to move them:
Higgins
Prospal
Kotalik
Rozsival
Brashear
Boyle
Parenteau
Lisin
Girardi

Probably wont be able to move them, but boy oh boy i want to get rid of these guys even if it means getting only a bucket of pucks back:
Chris Drury
Wade Redden

The real problem though, is that, aside from Kovalchuk, who will almost assuredly be re-upped, i dont see anyone really worth taking a stab at in the offseason....maybe Semin, but I doubt he leaves Washington.

Old
12-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I would move Drury at all cost. If I can't trade him I waive him and then put him on re-entry. He may not like it but it's best for him in the end, I think another team would claim him at half the cost and he will most likely find his game again where he isn't a main focal point. Man all the posters who said after Jags left would put too much pressure on Gomez and Drury turned out to be 100% right.

Redden, uggg of course we are stuck with him. Unlike Dru I don't think he would be claimed even at a 50% discount. Tonight really made me realize how screwed we are. Drury and Redden come down on a 2 on 1 and don't even get a shot, not even close to a shot. Thats 14 million of talent there and NADA.

Who else ya gonna move? UFA to be Prospal? Won't get more than a 2nd for him and he sure isn't a cap issue, he is a cap dream compared to the others considering pay compared to output.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Youre missing Girardi I think there Inferno, and hes a guy I dont mind keeping around for the right price (under 2 mil)

Hes just better suited for the third pair.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Youre missing Girardi I think there Inferno, and hes a guy I dont mind keeping around for the right price (under 2 mil)

Hes just better suited for the third pair.
nope, I have girardi listed under the have no problem moving him category.

Old
12-13-2009, 02:24 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Here's how I see it:

Not interested in trading: Lundqvist, Gaborik, Callahan, Avery, Staal, Del Zotto
Willing to part with for a worthy return: Dubinsky, Anisimov, Sanguinetti
Send them packing: Prospal, Girardi, Higgins, Rozsival, Drury, Boyle, Lisin, Christiansen
Get them the **** of this team now: Redden, Kotalik, Brashear, Voros

The names in bold are either untradeable or simply have no value (Rozsival is borderline).

See the problem?

Last edited by NYR Sting: 12-13-2009 at 02:29 AM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I would move Drury at all cost. If I can't trade him I waive him and then put him on re-entry. He may not like it but it's best for him in the end, I think another team would claim him at half the cost and he will most likely find his game again where he isn't a main focal point. Man all the posters who said after Jags left would put too much pressure on Gomez and Drury turned out to be 100% right.

Redden, uggg of course we are stuck with him. Unlike Dru I don't think he would be claimed even at a 50% discount. Tonight really made me realize how screwed we are. Drury and Redden come down on a 2 on 1 and don't even get a shot, not even close to a shot. Thats 14 million of talent there and NADA.

Who else ya gonna move? UFA to be Prospal? Won't get more than a 2nd for him and he sure isn't a cap issue, he is a cap dream compared to the others considering pay compared to output.
no movement clause for Drury. You cant waive him, you cant trade him, you can only bench him or scratch him, or just ask him to stay at home unless he is willing to waive that part of his contract. but who would take him on their team?

Old
12-13-2009, 02:31 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
no movement clause for Drury. You cant waive him, you cant trade him, you can only bench him or scratch him, or just ask him to stay at home unless he is willing to waive that part of his contract. but who would take him on their team?
We can't waive him?

Thanks for ruining my weekend man, worst news I heard all week.

Old
12-13-2009, 02:33 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
We can't waive him?

Thanks for ruining my weekend man, worst news I heard all week.
Never would have happened, anyway. He'll be here till the end, and then some. Besides, he's the most useful of the terrible three.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:34 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Never would have happened, anyway. He'll be here till the end, and then some. Besides, he's the most useful of the terrible three.
How could anyone that has two goals and takes up the most of our cap space be considered usefull? Christ man this is bad.

This fan base has run much less out of this city, if we get the boo birds on his ass enough he will wanna lift that NMC come deadline.

Old
12-13-2009, 02:41 AM
17futurecap

Even if it has to wait until summer he should be able to get rid of Rozi, yes a 5 million cap hit for 2 more years, but only 7 million real dollars left on the contract after this year. If he moved Gomez he can move Rozi.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:11 AM
darko

Well Drury and Redden aren't going anywhere regardless how bad we want them gone. If we do become sellers we should be looking to deal guys like Prospal, Higgins and Rozsival. Vinnie and Higgy are expiring contracts and have value so a contending team will want to pick them up. We could probably get a 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder for them respectively. Rozsival is a tricky one but and while I can see us dealing him the return will be small (4th or 5th rounder maybe). No one will be crazy enough to want Brashear lol. We could deal Girardi but wouldnt mind retaining hm to be honest.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 04:15 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Here's how I see it:

Not interested in trading: Lundqvist, Gaborik, Callahan, Avery, Staal, Del Zotto
Willing to part with for a worthy return: Dubinsky, Anisimov, Sanguinetti
Send them packing: Prospal, Girardi, Higgins, Rozsival, Drury, Boyle, Lisin, Christiansen
Get them the **** of this team now: Redden, Kotalik, Brashear, Voros

The names in bold are either untradeable or simply have no value (Rozsival is borderline).

See the problem?
I see 4 names on your ''send them packing'' line. That would be a start...even if I dont agree with Girardi.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 04:22 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

Drury really has us by the balls.

I would trade Girardi if he had to be part of a deal sending 1 of the big 3 away.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 07:47 AM
WolfPackFan07

Is there any reason to believe that if there is a fire sale that this organization will bring back any talent? What does this team have to show for the sale just prior to the lockout?

I have zero confidence in this front office's ability to acquire talent.

WolfPackFan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Vitto79

at anytime I move Lisin, Higgins, Girardi and of course Rozsival if possible. Brashear if anyone wll take him, waive Voros already, holy crap what a waste

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I am all for a fire sale, keeping as many of our prospects and young guys as we can. Might not be a lot of super star UFA's out there this summer but a lot of good complimentary guys ( I know we have too many now). But these are guys whom add secondary scoring and still play other roles well. Not like now where we have 3 Ryan Callahan's but only need 1, 3 guys that are big but can't score etc...

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
There are several assets we could sell. Higgins, Kotalik, Prospal at forward could all bring back at least a second rounder. Rosie should have some takers, though at a minimum return like a 5th rounder. Redden may have a taker, but maybe not.

Brashear will have a taker, maybe for a third or fourth round pick. Drury would have a taker if he waived his NMC.

I think reasonably speaking, we could get 3 second rounders, a third and a fifth, while clearing a lot of cap room for Higgins, Prospal, Kotalik, Brash and Rosie.

That's not bad return. We should be able to get one top-6 forward with those 5 picks. I would do it.

A fire sale would clear up a lot of cap space ($11.5 million), while getting us a few more decent prospects. It's worth doing in a season when we aren't going to do anything great anyway. A firesale in 2010 would significantly improve our odds of winning the Cup in 2012 (using the cap space) and 2015 (with the addition of another top-6 forward we would likely draft with one of the picks).
Thats absurdly optimistic.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Hypothetically, if we became sellers at the deadline, what pieces would you move, and what do you think you could get back for them?
If we have to become sellers at the deadline, John Tortorella has done the worst coaching job here since Glen Sather himself.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfPackFan07 View Post
Is there any reason to believe that if there is a fire sale that this organization will bring back any talent? What does this team have to show for the sale just prior to the lockout?

I have zero confidence in this front office's ability to acquire talent.
As a result of that fire sale, they got Dubinsky and Lisin (via Korpikoski).

If we could do another fire sale and get another Dubinsky-quality player (aka a young second liner), it would be worth it. We already have a lot of youth and prospects in the system, and adding a second line winger would be very useful.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote