HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Would you trade Staal for a scorer?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Staal?
Yes 40 24.54%
No 56 34.36%
Hell No 53 32.52%
I like Beer 57 34.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Come on, give me one Sean Avery mulligan a day, i've had to read alot of garbage on here lately

So, yeah, ixnay on the trading Staalsay.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:19 AM
In The Flesh

Yes, I would.

I like Staal, he's a good Dman who can log a ton of minutes, but he doesn't really stick out with anything he does, he isn't mean enough either, almost soft. Maybe it'll come with age and experience, idk. He's still extremely young. Our D depth is also good.

Staal to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. It would be cool if we could get a Dman like Wisniewski coming back in the deal, maybe we add a 2nd/3rd rd pick.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:20 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Staal and Del Zotto should be about as untouchable as they come on the blueline.

Staal should be in the weightroom as much as possible these days.

Wait til you see what happens when that boy puts on about 20 pounds.
Hopefully this happens.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Claxton

I'd trade him for someone like Bobby Ryan. They're the same age, both have very similar value and they're both RFAs at the end of the year.

Both teams are also dealing from a position of strength(not 100% sure on Anaheim).

I shouldn't say "someone like Bobby Ryan". Ryan is about the only player i can think of that this team needs for a guy like Staal in a realistic trade.

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Yes, I would.

I like Staal, he's a good Dman who can log a ton of minutes, but he doesn't really stick out with anything he does, he isn't mean enough either, almost soft. Maybe it'll come with age and experience, idk. He's still extremely young. Our D depth is also good.
Staal to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. It would be cool if we could get a Dman like Wisniewski coming back in the deal, maybe we add a 2nd/3rd rd pick.
You pretty much described a young Kevin Lowe, who happend to be a very important piece to a great team for many years. Not a standout, but absolutely essential to a team victory.

And I disagree with Staal being 'almost soft', thats not accurate.

Old
12-15-2009, 10:25 AM
SomE

If they trade Staal for a scorer who would they trade to get a good, young defensive dman?

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:32 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I think a return of a ppg+ player who is young would be something to think about. I understand Marcs value on the blueline. But he's not untouchable and it wouldnt have to be AO or Malkin. There are a few guys I would trade for straight up.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:39 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I think a return of a ppg+ player who is young would be something to think about. I understand Marcs value on the blueline. But he's not untouchable and it wouldnt have to be AO or Malkin. There are a few guys I would trade for straight up.
Obviously there a guys I would trade him straight up for. The problem is, most people aren't going to give those guys up (young(ish) PPG forwards).

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:39 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I personally don't see Staal as a game changer. Sure he's solid, but I rarely ever see him make that big defensive play. Heck, even Girardi makes more big defensive plays than Staal. Some people say that a defenseman shouldn't be noticeable. I say that's nonsense. An elite defenseman is noticeable for the big plays he makes in his own zone. I rarely see Staal make those kind of plays.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I personally don't see Staal as a game changer. If the Rangers could trade him for someone like that and rid themselves of their garbage at the same time, I could not refuse.
You don't see him as a future Dman that lines up against the opponents best players game in game out in his prime? What value does that have to you?

Oh, 'someone else could do it', let me get that answer out of the way so you don't get any ideas

Old
12-15-2009, 10:48 AM
LamoTheKid

The kids too important to a defense thats going to be very young in a couple of years. If we somehow get rid of Redden/Roszy, he's going to the the seasoned vet and anchor our Blueline. You don't trade that. Ever.

We're in a conference with Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, and Richards. Hank and Staal are essential to our survival (mediocre roster or not). We can find another way to get a scorer.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
The kids too important to a defense thats going to be very young in a couple of years. If we somehow get rid of Redden/Roszy, he's going to the the seasoned vet and anchor our Blueline. You don't trade that. Ever.

We're in a conference with Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, and Richards. Hank and Staal are essential to our survival (mediocre roster or not). We can find another way to get a scorer.
Exactamundo Fonz ! I've been saying that for years now.

Old
12-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Fletch

I personally do not know what Staal's value is at this point. Given the fact that this team appears to have both defensive issues and offensive issues, and no young defensive defenseman is stepping it up, I'm inclined to stay with Staal, a known quantity compared to an unknown quantity.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:09 AM
BrandNewDream

Hell no. We have no one to replace him, and there are few players like him in the league.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Chimp

Hell no and I like beer. We should be sellers, not buyers. We are lightyears away from becoming a contender, so why try to patch a roof full of leaks with a stamp?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Vitto79

I would not trade any young players. Staal, DZ, Gilroy, Sanguinetti should be the top 4 Dmen. If they can't move Rozsival I think he has to get bought out next yr. Redden they are stuck with until they are forced to buy him out later on. I pray the league allows one buy out to not effect the cap

in 2 yrs things will be better once Rozy and Drury are off the books

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:27 AM
OverTheCap

No way... the defense is suspect on this team as it is, why make it worse?

Offense is important, but that's not the only problem on this team. There's more than enough deficiencies to go around. The Rangers struggle on both sides of the puck, you don't eliminate Staal from the equation at the expense of improving the offense.

I think too many people let the #3 HF prospects ranking go to their heads... they are what they are, projections. McDonagh is not a sure thing. You don't trade away established NHL defensemen in the hopes that players in the system who have yet to play in the NHL will fill the void.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:29 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Yea I get that... but....Anze Kopitar for Marc Staal?
one for one? Absolutely.

Staal and a 2nd for Kopitar? Yes

Staal and another top notch prospect for Kopitar? Would really think about that

Staal and 2 top prospects for Kopitar? No thanks and I like Kopitar alot.

He's the kind of center you build around.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:30 AM
aslim240

I have to say no without context, but it is not a definite no.

In the age of salary cap, contracts have to be considered. Could we get rid of a bad contract as part of the deal? What kind of contract are we taking back with our top notch scorer? Are we going to be able to sign Staal to a reasonable long term contract? Or will we be losing him for minimal value in 2 years (I think it is 2 years)?

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxton View Post
I'd trade him for someone like Bobby Ryan. They're the same age, both have very similar value and they're both RFAs at the end of the year.

Both teams are also dealing from a position of strength(not 100% sure on Anaheim).

I shouldn't say "someone like Bobby Ryan". Ryan is about the only player i can think of that this team needs for a guy like Staal in a realistic trade.

I agree. I would not think twice about trading Staal for Bobby Ryan.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:37 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post

The flip side to the argument you make above, is that with Kopitar and Gaborik we would then match up well with Washington and Philly, would be in much better shape than the Islanders and Devils as Kopitar and Gaborik are better than Tavares & Okposo and Parise & (either Elias or Zajac). Pitt with Sid and Geno would still have more firepower, but the concern you have for those players would be a concern those teams have with our players as well which puts us on a more even playing field.

Personally, if it's one for one Staal for Anze, you make that deal and run. Depending on the additional assets it would take to get Kopitar is where we need to start evaluating the deal a bit more.

Old
12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
one for one? Absolutely.

Staal and a 2nd for Kopitar? Yes

Staal and another top notch prospect for Kopitar? Would really think about that

Staal and 2 top prospects for Kopitar? No thanks and I like Kopitar alot.

He's the kind of center you build around.
Yeah, but it's not even realistically going to happen. He's LA's #1 center, they're lacking in high-end offensive depth, and besides, he's ANZE FREAKING KOPITAR. He means way too much to their team.

After thinking about it, Bobby Ryan and Alex Semin are the only young snipers I can see available for the right price. Their teams have offensive depth, and will have trouble re-signing them.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:46 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
I agree. I would not think twice about trading Staal for Bobby Ryan.
Not sure I would target Ryan from Anaheim.

I'd prefer Corey Perry. A big kid with speed and a willingness to get his nose dirty.

However, since a legit #1 center is what this team needs. I would think that Kopitar fits the bill better than either Ryan or Perry.

I would be concerned about his lack of physical play. As big a guy as he is, he is pretty soft...but his skills and ability to play a supreme offensive role can carry the day for him.

Staal gets moved, it HAS to be for a front line playmaking center.

Old
12-15-2009, 11:48 AM
ChrisModem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
The flip side to the argument you make above, is that with Kopitar and Gaborik we would then match up well with Washington and Philly, would be in much better shape than the Islanders and Devils as Kopitar and Gaborik are better than Tavares & Okposo and Parise & (either Elias or Zajac). Pitt with Sid and Geno would still have more firepower, but the concern you have for those players would be a concern those teams have with our players as well which puts us on a more even playing field.

Personally, if it's one for one Staal for Anze, you make that deal and run. Depending on the additional assets it would take to get Kopitar is where we need to start evaluating the deal a bit more.
Even with Kopitar I still don't think we would have the depth that they have. I agree with you that we would instantly be better than Devils and Islanders - at least on paper. The Devils would probably still grind out a win against us.

ChrisModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Yeah, but it's not even realistically going to happen. He's LA's #1 center, they're lacking in high-end offensive depth, and besides, he's ANZE FREAKING KOPITAR. He means way too much to their team.

After thinking about it, Bobby Ryan and Alex Semin are the only young snipers I can see available for the right price. Their teams have offensive depth, and will have trouble re-signing them.
Alex Semin would be chewed up and spit out in NY.

I cringe at the thought of him anywhere near this team.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote