HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oklahoma City more of a possibility...

Old
12-15-2009, 02:26 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Oklahoma City more of a possibility...

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-coun...adlines_widget

EDIT

Reposted link.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 12-15-2009 at 03:10 PM.
hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:28 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
thats awesome. one of the trashiest cities ive been to next to little rock and detroit. hopefully it catches on there.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:02 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Link isn't working for me.

oXo Cube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Can Jim Ross call the games there?

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Apparantly the article has been removed.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:13 PM
millpoo

I just read the article. Link works fine.

I keep forgetting the Oilers own a "dormant AHL franchise"- The Roadrunners.

It would be nice to find a place to plop that team down in a city closer than Oklahoma though.

millpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
I just read the article. Link works fine.

I keep forgetting the Oilers own a "dormant AHL franchise"- The Roadrunners.

It would be nice to find a place to plop that team down in a city closer than Oklahoma though.
Red Deer?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:12 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Red Deer?
Not as long as they have season ticket holders for the Oilers living there.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Not as long as they have season ticket holders for the Oilers living there.
I also remember Guy mentioning a while back that the Oilers also have a stance against going into cities with major junior teams, so we can forget about Red Deer, Saskatoon, Regina, Seattle, etc. Too bad, because Saskatoon or Regina would make an excellent place for an AHL team. Maybe Fort Mac one day?

I recall that the Oilers tried to swap the Roadrunners with the Saskatoon Blades a few years back when we were trying to lure a WHL franchise here.

Alex87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Antidote

The bad news is that "last season, the Blazers averaged 6,508 fans for 32 home games, but they folded this past summer, citing "substantial losses" during the current recession". That was the highest average attendance in the CHL and the franchise still wasn't viable. The additional travel costs/expenses of an AHL team would likely have to be offset by higher ticket prices but what will that do to attendance?

The good news is that last year's OC CHL attendance number would put it 3rd in the AHL this year if they're able to attract the same number of fans next year to their 37 year-old building. The business case for a successful AHL franchise would be interesting to see. Good luck to them - hope it works out!

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:25 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidote View Post
The bad news is that "last season, the Blazers averaged 6,508 fans for 32 home games, but they folded this past summer, citing "substantial losses" during the current recession". That was the highest average attendance in the CHL and the franchise still wasn't viable. The additional travel costs/expenses of an AHL team would likely have to be offset by higher ticket prices but what will that do to attendance?

The good news is that last year's OC CHL attendance number would put it 3rd in the AHL this year if they're able to attract the same number of fans next year to their 37 year-old building. The business case for a successful AHL franchise would be interesting to see. Good luck to them - hope it works out!

Looks like the old arena would get some updates.

As part of the lease agreement with Prodigal Hockey, the city will pay for about $4.5 million in improvements to the Cox Convention Center, which opened in 1972. That money will pay for an ice plant and mechanical room, locker room upgrades, dasher boards and other upgrades.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 05:48 PM
oiler4ever

OKC is definitely a good fit for the oilers. Hell yeah i am excited about it. I have been talking with Adam Knapp, who is a local writer about this for long time. Definitely looks good. I wish it was FORD center. oh well.

oiler4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
thats awesome. one of the trashiest cities ive been to next to little rock and detroit. hopefully it catches on there.
Not sure what you mean catches on there? Until last season they had a CHL hockey team and that is two leagues lower than the AHL. They often had 6,000+ fans at their games. Which is more fans than most AHL teams generally pull in. So as far as that goes hockey has already caught on there just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Looks like the old arena would get some updates.

As part of the lease agreement with Prodigal Hockey, the city will pay for about $4.5 million in improvements to the Cox Convention Center, which opened in 1972. That money will pay for an ice plant and mechanical room, locker room upgrades, dasher boards and other upgrades.
That sounds like good news. I believe LaForge or Prendergast said in the past that them doing renovations was really the only big stumbling block from the Oilers side on setting up their AHL team there.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 08:32 PM
HockeyFan4Life

Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
Oklahoma City Approves Renovations They are going to revamp the Cox Business Convention Center Arena for AHL use. A new ice machine is tops on the list to get replaced. And the Locker Rooms are going to over hauled. Also just to clarify that the CHL is AA Hockey, just like the ECHL and IHL.

HockeyFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 08:43 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
jeesus

can not get away from some stories

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 08:46 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life View Post
Oklahoma City Approves Renovations They are going to revamp the Cox Business Convention Center Arena for AHL use. A new ice machine is tops on the list to get replaced. And the Locker Rooms are going to over hauled. Also just to clarify that the CHL is AA Hockey, just like the ECHL and IHL.
Not to burst ur bubble HF4L but last season Springfield finished a solid 29th in a 29 team league and this year's edition is currently working on a 13 game losing streak. Be careful what you wish for.

FlyersProspect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 09:19 PM
HockeyFan4Life

Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersProspect2 View Post
Not to burst ur bubble HF4L but last season Springfield finished a solid 29th in a 29 team league and this year's edition is currently working on a 13 game losing streak. Be careful what you wish for.
Their losing streak can be attributed to several factors. You could look at the Texas Stars, and say it's a decent turn around after leaving Iowa. Plus I rather have some professional hockey, then no professional hockey here in OKC.

Old
12-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersProspect2 View Post
The best AHL teams most of the time are full of AHL lifer type players rather than just a bunch of prospects. In fact most teams heavy with prospects / rookies do not do very well. So this might not mean much. It is more dependent on how many vets etc... are signed. Often the teams that are owned by the NHL parent club and get more money spent on the their rosters and do the best. In the past the Oilers farm team they owned made it to the Calder finals one season and won the cup a while before that. So it is probably not that great of an indication on what next years team will be like.

I mean I see you are a Flyer fan. Last season when they were in Philly they were a top team. They moved them out of state and all the sudden the next season so far they are one of the worst in the AHL. Things can change quickly in the AHL. Another good example might the Lowell Devils where a poor team last season but this season are 2nd in their division and within striking distance of first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life View Post
Also just to clarify that the CHL is AA Hockey, just like the ECHL and IHL.
I had not heard that. It is usually rare that NHL teams put any sort of decent prospects in the CHL. Mostly the AHL and any spill over goes generally to the ECHL. Maybe it is just because the CHL does not have as many affiliation agreements? I do not know a ton about the CHL but I am guessing the ECHL is a little higher caliber hockey overall?

I love your avatar by the way.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 12-20-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old
12-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Antidote

This is sounding like a done deal but OC still seems a long way from Edmonton. Too bad they didn't look closely at Victoria.

An article appeared in the Victoria Times Colonist recently that discussed western expansion of the AHL. Stan Smyl of the Canucks is quoted: “It’s sure to happen. There are so many NHL teams in the West and the players would be closer for call-ups. We’ll see how Abbotsford [AHL farm team of the Calgary Flames] works out.”

Mike Sillinger is also quoted, sort of: Former NHLer Mike Sillinger, the Edmonton Oilers director of hockey development who is in Victoria this week scouting the Oilers’ ECHL-affiliate Thunder, didn’t want to go anywhere near the subject. “I have no comment,” said Sillinger. “But they’ve got a building here [AHL-calibre Memorial Centre in Victoria] for it, anyway.”

Another excerpt from the article:
Many ECHL teams play in attractive markets or arenas and there have been rumours circulating about Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Bakersfield, Stockton or Ontario, Calif., potentially jumping from the ‘E’ to the ‘A.’

A recent story in the Vancouver Province, about an apparent “race for Victoria” between the AHL and major-junior Western Hockey League, has added fuel to the speculation.

For me, Victoria makes more sense for the Oilers than OC. Brand new building. Canadian fans (even though most are currently Canuckleheads). A natural rivalry with the Flames AHL team in Abbotsford. And an hour and a half non-stop from Edmonton.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...927/story.html

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:49 AM
HockeyFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post

I had not heard that. It is usually rare that NHL teams put any sort of decent prospects in the CHL. Mostly the AHL and any spill over goes generally to the ECHL. Maybe it is just because the CHL does not have as many affiliation agreements? I do not know a ton about the CHL but I am guessing the ECHL is a little higher caliber hockey overall?

I love your avatar by the way.
I'm sure the ECHL is alittle better quality hockey then the CHL. But there are alot of affiliation agreements with CHL Teams. Dallas has one with the Allen Americans, who are partly owned by Steve Duschane(sp?).Jodie Benn(Jamie's lil brother)plays for the Americans right now. Phoenix has an agreement with the Arizona Sundogs, since their inception to the CHL. NYI has an agreement with the Odessa Jackalopes for about 2 seasons. There are several other CHL teams, that have players sent down to play. And there are alot of call-ups too, especially from the Texas teams. I'm really hoping that we can get the AHL here. Thanks, just threw the avatar together.

Old
12-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidote View Post
This is sounding like a done deal but OC still seems a long way from Edmonton. Too bad they didn't look closely at Victoria.

For me, Victoria makes more sense for the Oilers than OC. Brand new building. Canadian fans (even though most are currently Canuckleheads). A natural rivalry with the Flames AHL team in Abbotsford. And an hour and a half non-stop from Edmonton.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...927/story.html
Geographically it certainly would be nice. I always hear though that the Salmon Kings do pretty well and there did not seem to be a lot of interest from the people that run the Salmon Kings in the AHL. Back to the OKC thing it is still a pretty far distance. Though I believe (if memory serves) it is around 1,000 miles closer than Springfield.

You might want to wait to see if Abbotsford works out for a while before looking forward to rivalries. I also see this bit from that same article:

“There’s nothing specifically on the table,” added Dakers, No. 2 behind owner Graham Lee in RG Properties, which owns the Salmon Kings and operates the Memorial Centre.

Dakers, however, did note Abbotsford’s lagging attendance in the AHL.

“The Abbotsford market does not appear supportive of AHL hockey,” he said.

One thing we do know about OKC. That is they are a great hockey draw even at a lower level like the CHL. Their attendance for that team rivals the best attendance figures in the AHL.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 12-21-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old
12-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Auguste Escoffier

I am actually scratching my head about this. What's the gain in changing affiliates yet again, also factoring in the distance?

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
I am actually scratching my head about this. What's the gain in changing affiliates yet again, also factoring in the distance?
Do you mean besides OKC being a little closer? Maybe you mean because our affiliation agreement with Springfield ends this season?

Possibly it has something to do with the Oil paying money (as in hundreds of thousands) every season to the AHL. In order to keep their dormant Roadrunners franchise active while they have been looking for years for a good market to place it in?

I see a few reasons not to scratch your head.

Old
12-21-2009, 11:07 AM
HockeyFan4Life

Plus it gives the new AHL team a rival with either Texas,Houston, or San Antonio. DFW is a major airline hub to get a player to join the team on the road. And there was a history between OKC and San Antonio when they had a CHL franchise.

Last edited by HockeyFan4Life: 12-21-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old
12-21-2009, 05:25 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Rumor around here is that it's a done deal. Good luck to OKC next year if indeed it does come to fruition.

scoob4093 is offline   Reply With Quote