HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Should the Rangers pursue Jake Muzzin(defenseman)?

Old
12-15-2009, 06:24 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Should the Rangers pursue Jake Muzzin(defenseman)?

Bob McKenzie wrote about Jake Muzzin yesterday. 2007 Penguin draft pick who was not signed by them and is now a free agent after not being selected in the 2009 draft.

Quote:
Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound overage defenceman Jake Muzzin is the rarest of birds - a major junior free agent who is playing well enough to have lots of NHL teams following his every move in the hope of getting his name on a contract when the junior season ends.
Quote:
'He's been great,'' one NHL scout told TSN. ''There are a lot of teams who would sign him on the spot right now.''

''He's probably going to get traded to a contender between now and the trade deadline,'' said another scout. ''So he's either going to get on a better team and really take off and generate even more excitement or he'll end up with fewer minutes on a good team and the fever might cool a bit. But he's playing well and there's huge interest in him. Everyone seems to be chasing him.''
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=302355

Muzzin is 2nd in OHL scoring for defensemen. Good size 6-2 216.

Subject to the entry level contract(3 year contract in this case)/two way deal unlike Matt Gilroy who was too old for an entry level contract.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Absolutely they should.

Give him the rookie max (900K or so) plus a bonus and get him inked. Let him develop and we'll see what we have.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I wouldn't give him a Gilroy contract, but his stats look mighty impressive in juniors, even for an overager.

38 points in 32 games is an awful lot for a defenseman (or even for a forward). Last year he had only 29 in the whole season, so I guess he really picked it up.

I would sign him if he's willing to take $500k plus up to a million for games played bonuses. (Take a million and divide it by 70 games. If he plays 70+ games, he gets the full million bonus. If not, he gets 1/70 of a million for each game.)

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:53 PM
ecemleafs

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...er.php?id=4287

quite a turn around in his stats this year. already with more points and has gone from a -30 to a +9.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Levitate

is he a pure offensive defenseman or does he have defensive skills, physical skills, etc

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:57 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Gilroy got a 1 way contract worth $3.5 million guaranteed because he was too old for the entry level system. Muzzin will get a similar deal to Tyler Bozek. $875,000 NHL base salary/$65,000 AHL which includes performances bonuses.

If he is in Hartford,he gets $65,000 instead of $1.75 million which is Gilroy's one way salary.

Old
12-15-2009, 07:01 PM
blue2noise

points this
points that

We need big steady,physical defensemen. I don't care if they are 0-0-0.

blue2noise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Gilroy got a 1 way contract worth $3.5 million guaranteed because he was too old for the entry level system. Muzzin will get a similar deal to Tyler Bozek. $875,000 NHL base salary/$65,000 AHL which includes performances bonuses.

If he is in Hartford,he gets $65,000 instead of $1.75 million which is Gilroy's one way salary.
Exactly. There's zero chance he accepts a rookie minimum base.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Smoochie

why wasn't he signed by Pitt or drafted in 2009?

Smoochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:17 PM
IG88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoochie View Post
Destiny? Haha, I don't know if anyone in their right mind would willingly sign with the Rangers at the moment.

Not if winning is a concern.

IG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:36 PM
NYR Viper

For free? Okay! I see no reason why the Rangers wouldn't pursue him. Its a free prospect and even though they are stacked on defense you can never have too much of a good thing.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:10 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Sure, why not? And why wait? If he's overage can't he be signed right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Exactly. There's zero chance he accepts a rookie minimum base.
He has no choice. Because of his age and the CBA he gets what everyone else gets. No exceptions. Gilroy was not subject to the salary slotting because of an old loophole in the CBA.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
points this
points that

right on!

I'm with blue2

but, I'd still sign this kid, why the heck not, see what happens

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:49 PM
SML

I don't get too excited about an overager playing against kids dominating. He should do that. Also, would you say the Penguins have a good scouting staff? How many guys do think they're going to pick and just let go with no contract unless there's a reason? Sorry, I understand there's no real risk here, but I'm far from really excited by this.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:59 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I don't get too excited about an overager playing against kids dominating. He should do that. Also, would you say the Penguins have a good scouting staff? How many guys do think they're going to pick and just let go with no contract unless there's a reason? Sorry, I understand there's no real risk here, but I'm far from really excited by this.
well looking at his stats u can see why nobody touched him last year.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
points this
points that

That would be Ryan McDonagh. Just waive another year and a half. He'll be here in October 2011. The guy is a somewhat shorter version of Staal. Excellent defensively, very strong, and has decent hands too. He's probably more physical than Staal.

We'll be ok with Staal as a shut down defenseman on the first pair and McD as a shut down D on the second pair. Our defense won't be a problem. There's no need to run out and draft/trade for another defenseman.

Let's draft us some wingers.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

I'm sure the Rangers are looking into and if they are willing to offer him the maximum entry level contract, then I'm sure this kid will consider signing with the Rangers. But, that assumes the Rangers are willing to offer him the maximum and also assumes he's willing to take a chance on an organization that already has quite a few quality defensive prospects in their system who will be fighting for a roster spot next season.

Bottom line: if I'm this kid, I'd be more likely to sign with an organization that have few defensive prospects almost ready for the NHL.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
No more rookie D!

We need a veteran.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoochie View Post
He has had two very significant injuries and missed a lot of hockey over the past two years, which most likely didn't help the cause. But beyond that I don't think there's any Pens fan on here who really knows either.

We have a number of interesting 3-6 defenders in the system, so probably it was a financial decision in the end. Of course, you never like to see an asset who could conceivably become a player let go. Moulson right now is a source of discontent for us on that score, and I suppose Muzzin in the end could prove another.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:45 AM
The Thomas J.*

We need some one who hits, creates turnovers & can clear the crease. I think that is our #1 pirority on this team right now.

If this dude can do all that than yes, go after him hard. If he is just another offensive defensemen that we have a surplus off I wouldn't go as hard for him. On that note why would a player of that mold want to come to the Rangers where he could become buried in the shuffle.

Why did the Pens not sign him? Character issue?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:13 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Gilroy was 25 years old by September 15("age" of the player by September 15 regardless of him being 24 years old when he actually signed the contract)which is why he was eligible to sign a non ELC contract

18-21 years old-3 year ELC
22-23 years old-2 year ELC
24 years old-1 year ELC

European players are eligible for ELC contracts until they are 27 years old. 25-27 year old Euro's sign a 1 year ELC. 28 years old or older means no ELC contracts.

If the Rangers feel Muzzin can be an NHL player,they will pursue him just like they pursued Gilroy when they had the same number of defensemen in the organization. It doesn't cost them an asset.

Old
12-16-2009, 07:45 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Funny, was going to open that thread a couple of days ago but didn't. For whatever reason I thought the guy was an offensive minded Dman with no real defensive assets then I read his profile on HF... Now I'm curious about him.

Quote:
The greatest asset to Muzzin’s game is his nasty on-ice demeanor. He demonstrates poise and willingness to take on more than one player at a time - regardless of how much bigger they may be, and is willing to drop the gloves. He is also good at taking players out of the play and clearing the front of the net.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jake_muzzin

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:55 AM
pwoz

"clearing the front of the net."

Sign him!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Garv23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
"clearing the front of the net."

Sign him!
and then sign him once more!

Honestly, I know nothing about this guy, but "clearing the front of the net" has such a nice sound to it. I've had enough of Girardi's one arm shove.

Garv23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG88 View Post
Destiny? Haha, I don't know if anyone in their right mind would willingly sign with the Rangers at the moment.

Not if winning is a concern.
If playing time is a concern though they might. Which when you're just coming into the league would be my biggest motivating factor in signing.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote