HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

-- YOU be the coach --

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2004, 10:16 AM
StanleyCH25

vCash: 500
-- YOU be the coach --

I've done a similar thread on the Habs board just to get their opinion as to what they consider the key to beating the opposition and was curious to know what the Sens fans believe is the key to defeating the Leafs.

From my perspective, there are only some very minor adjustments required. As far as I'm concerned, the series should have been a clean sweep were it not for Ed Belfour bailing them out repeatedly.

That being said, the key to victory is to beat Belfour. To do this, I would:

-Always send a man in front of the net to disrupt his view of the play. Ed has been having way too much of an easy time seeing where the puck is headed (from pases and shots) which has given him the appearance of a god in net when he's just always in position because he sees the play too well. The same was happening with the Habs not covering Raycroft. So send someone to the front who's willing to take shots and possibly draw penalties.

-Look for ways to cut towards the middle of the ice as just about every shot has been taken from the perimeter which is much easier to stop. The powerplay needs to be adjusted to allow more shots from in front of Belfour as opposed to beside him. I would actually send Chara or Neil in front of the net on the powerplay for the simple purpose of disrupting Belfour's view. The rest of the guys have such great shots that they can control the play as needed.

-Keep up the physical play. The Leafs are battered and bruised and are playing on last legs. Keep punishing them along the boards (with legal hits) and wear them down with speed and physical play.

Good luck Sens and I'll be cheering for you guys at the game tonight wearing my Hossa jersey!!

Go SENS GO!!!!

Old
04-18-2004, 11:30 AM
HF-Addict

Last game must have been the most boring game ever (Sens-Leafs)

Sens should try to play the puck instead of trying to play the exact same style of the leafs...(Hit without looking at the puck, just hit)

Sens couldn't get quality shots on Belfour, they need to skate. Others than Hossa, I doubt any others Sens showed up last game.

They need to move while on the Powerplay, if I remember correctly, they were trying the fancy pass between like 2 leafs defenders on the PP. Wasn,t much effective.

I could be wrong since I didn't watch the whole match...or could just confused last game with another one =/ But I think it,s arguably accurate.

Old
04-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
Always send a man in front of the net to disrupt his view of the play.

Look for ways to cut towards the middle of the ice as just about every shot has been taken from the perimeter which is much easier to stop.

Keep up the physical play. The Leafs are battered and bruised and are playing on last legs. Keep punishing them along the boards (with legal hits) and wear them down with speed and physical play.

Go SENS GO!!!!
Hmmmm, Getting a guy in Belfours view is key, you can't stop what you can't see, well, most of them. Belfour has had it pretty easy, but when he needed to be big, he sure was.

Cut across the middle, um, could help but I don't see that happening with the Sens, the Leafs have a few guys that if someone cuts across, lights out (ie Marchment/McCabe) are always looking for that huge hit, so KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. I remember Gilmour was smoked by McSorley for doing that.

The Sens have been surprisingly physical, but they don't win the games that they are overly physical. I don't know why people say taht the leafs are battered etc.. b/c the leafs were WAY more agressive last game than the Sens. don't count on the leafs being battered or hurting, they''re just playing a different style than you're used to.

PP - Get someone in front.

Overall, the sens are faster and the forwards have to exploit that!

IMO

Closed Thread