HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Practicing my shot at home (shooting pad)

Old
06-14-2013, 12:18 PM
greatwhiteshark

vCash: 500
Practicing my shot at home (shooting pad)

My season is starting up in a month, and I want to get my shot faster and more accurate for this year. Since it's tough to get ice in Cali, I have been looking at the shooting pads the sell at HockeyShot. I just wonder if it's worth spending the $80, or if I should just make one like some people do instead by getting some material from a plastics place. Any of you who have made shooting pads instead of buying them, does it work well? Or is it better just to spend the $80? Thanks for the help.

greatwhiteshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Redstreak

The cheap route works great. I picked up a thrifty white board a year or two ago and am still getting use out of it for practicing my shot out in my driveway. I can't say how different it is than the nicer shooting boards, but if all you're doing is that, I'd definitely recommend it.

Here's a link to the home depot site for that board.

Redstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:59 PM
greatwhiteshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstreak View Post
The cheap route works great. I picked up a thrifty white board a year or two ago and am still getting use out of it for practicing my shot out in my driveway. I can't say how different it is than the nicer shooting boards, but if all you're doing is that, I'd definitely recommend it.

Thanks man, but one more question... how much wear and tear does it give to your blade? Just so I know whether to practice with lower or higher end sticks.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Redstreak

I tend to tape my full blade, so I don't notice a lot of wear and tear on the blade itself. It does run through tape pretty quick, but I also haven't put any silicone spray on it for a while, which is something I read on here to do to help reduce friction on the panel. Other people might be able better for information on the impact to the blade.

Redstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstreak View Post

I was waiting for the photo of the product to load then I realized I'm just a moron.

Any links for this product in Canada?

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 03:20 AM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I was waiting for the photo of the product to load then I realized I'm just a moron.

Any links for this product in Canada?
You can get it at any Home Depot, lowes, or basically any store like that. It's just a 4x8 white board. I got mine about 3 years ago, and still use it. Just throw some silicone spray, or WD-40 down, whipe it with a rag and you're done.

I use my TotalOnes on it, and it doesn't do any damage to the stick. The tape at the bottom gets a little dirty from dust on the board (the garage gets dust and dirt on it) but no damage to the Stick.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:57 AM
greatwhiteshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
You can get it at any Home Depot, lowes, or basically any store like that. It's just a 4x8 white board. I got mine about 3 years ago, and still use it. Just throw some silicone spray, or WD-40 down, whipe it with a rag and you're done.

I use my TotalOnes on it, and it doesn't do any damage to the stick. The tape at the bottom gets a little dirty from dust on the board (the garage gets dust and dirt on it) but no damage to the Stick.
Thanks for the answer, time to use my NXG on it and I'm glad I saved the 80 bucks!

Old
06-16-2013, 09:16 AM
WeakTalocrural

I just went this route myself as well. Went to Lowes, and got the following:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_16605-46498-300_0__

Sprayed it with furniture polish, and it works great. After about a week, it is showing some signs of wear. But I think that is more because I don't know what I am doing and am chopping down too much when I slap shot. Otherwise, worth the $13.00.

Here is a quick GoPro video I took the day I set it up. Don't mind the horrible stick handling and shooting.

http://youtu.be/H8HPYAr7LLs

WeakTalocrural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 01:58 AM
manderson528

vCash: 300
I was in the exact situation as you a year ago, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a little shooting sheet from a hockey store. I did some research and found out that the sheets in hockey shops are made out of HDPE (high density polyethylene). I went to lowes and home depot and they didn't have them so I went to a local plastics shop. As it was smaller and local, they were eager to help and knew exactly what I was talking about right away. They ended up having like a 6x4.5 sheet that they sold me for like $45. I think the ones at the hockey shops are a lot thicker, which increases the price. Mine is just a couple cm thick and has held up incredibly well. The green biscuit on it will make it feel as close to ice as you'd get, without adding anything to it like water, snow, ect. of course. Hope this helps.

manderson528 is offline   Reply With Quote