HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Blue Jays vs. Oilers

Old
12-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweball View Post
Gomez trumps Horcoff. Gomez would flourish in Edmonton. I have always thought that. But...no more little forwards so forget I said that.
The point was rather that the Gomez contract was considered untradeable by the majority of people on this board. If the Gomez contract can be moved, then similar hefty contracts can be as well.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
The point was rather that the Gomez contract was considered untradeable by the majority of people on this board. If the Gomez contract can be moved, then similar hefty contracts can be as well.
While this may be true, there needs to be a time and place. Right now is neither of that. But you are correct every offseason there may be a chance that we can rid ourselves of the Horcoff contract. While that chance may differ from offseason to offseason, it is still possible like you say.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
While this may be true, there needs to be a time and place. Right now is neither of that. But you are correct every offseason there may be a chance that we can rid ourselves of the Horcoff contract. While that chance may differ from offseason to offseason, it is still possible like you say.
Yeah, just to clarify my position isn't that we "should" trade Horcoff, just that recent trade movement shows his contract "can" be moved.

Old
12-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Vernon Wells = Shawn Horcoff.

Cannot be moved.
Vernon Wells in two seasons from now will be making almost as much(in one season) as Horcoff is over the entire 6 years. It is probably the worst contract in professional sports and not really comparable to any other contract.

Old
12-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Yeah, just to clarify my position isn't that we "should" trade Horcoff, just that recent trade movement shows his contract "can" be moved.
Also to clarify my position isn't necessarily to move Horc either but rather the dim hope that if the stars align properly (ala a team having a large amount of cap space and say Smyth is a free agent and said team wants to re-unite the couple).

To clarify it if you havn't got it already you are absolutely correct that he is moveable but it would take a micacle. Say like 1 in 10 or maybe even 1 in a hundred?

No, no more like one in a million.

YES, so your sayin there's a chance!!!!

Old
12-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Also to clarify my position isn't necessarily to move Horc either but rather the dim hope that if the stars align properly (ala a team having a large amount of cap space and say Smyth is a free agent and said team wants to re-unite the couple).

To clarify it if you havn't got it already you are absolutely correct that he is moveable but it would take a micacle. Say like 1 in 10 or maybe even 1 in a hundred?

No, no more like one in a million.

YES, so your sayin there's a chance!!!!
Well, actually, if Gomez got traded, that mean's it's a 2 in a million chance.

Old
12-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Agent007

Quote:
You may be right but just because one idiot makes that deal doesn't mean others would.

There are certain contracts in the NHL that certain teams wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Every situation is different and every season is different.

Overall the Gomez trade likely will turn out to be a bad move made by the Habs and that in itself will prove why those type of deals don't make much sense.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:39 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Gomez trumps Horcoff. Gomez would flourish in Edmonton. I have always thought that. But...no more little forwards so forget I said that.
I love those people who say the gomez trade debunks any idea of trading horcoff

Gomez is a year younger then Horcoff, gomez has scored 30 goals in a season andhas gotten 60pts plus 5 times--Horcoff has never come close to scoring 30 goals in a year and has only topped 55 points once--

So those who compare Gomaz to horcoff need to give their heads a shake and oh yeah--taht is before we mention the cup rinsg gomaz has

getting back to the topic

what should concern the jays is that two of teh plays have had serious surgeries already

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I love those people who say the gomez trade debunks any idea of trading horcoff

Gomez is a year younger then Horcoff, gomez has scored 30 goals in a season andhas gotten 60pts plus 5 times--Horcoff has never come close to scoring 30 goals in a year and has only topped 55 points once--

So those who compare Gomaz to horcoff need to give their heads a shake and oh yeah--taht is before we mention the cup rinsg gomaz has

getting back to the topic

what should concern the jays is that two of teh plays have had serious surgeries already
I consider spelling like a 3 year old on meth laughable, and I give my head a shake, so hey, it's a party of head shakes.

This isn't about Horcoff's contract now, it's about Gomez.

The players aren't the point. It's the fact that fans often think they know more than they actually do.

When Gomez contract was signed (let's leave Horcoff out of this remember) everyone said "untradeable". It could never be traded. Look up the history on this site. Search some archieves. If a player making 7.5 million a year can be traded coming off a 16 goal, 58 point season then there's a good chance similar trades can be made in regards to other large contracts.

So to translate it to your lingo.

thu tarde moeved teh a 7.5 millionthat in gomez showed that any comtract can be movedadfas.

Old
12-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
You may be right but just because one idiot makes that deal doesn't mean others would.

There are certain contracts in the NHL that certain teams wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Every situation is different and every season is different.

Overall the Gomez trade likely will turn out to be a bad move made by the Habs and that in itself will prove why those type of deals don't make much sense.
I think what has been proven time and time again is that there's always one GM dumb enough to something deemed too dumb. There's a GM in Atlanta and one on TSN that are living proof.

Old
12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Oylerz

Quote:
See that's what made it not priceless to me. Yes it was funny that he pointed out his spelling error. But the fact that I had no clue who Matt Halliday was made that part of it irrelvant.
Hi Reimer... I think he was referring to Matt Holliday but in his eagerness to correct someone else's spelling misspelled Holliday. That's the priceless part for me.

Matt Holliday

Oylerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:40 AM
schutney

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Toronto does not have the financial ability to compete with their power house division, coupled with barely any playoff spots. It doesn't matter what prospects they have.

Meanwhile, the Northwest division sucks. And you don't even have to win it to get in.
Like a previous poster mentioned. The Blue Jays could easily spend as much if not more than the Yankees and the Red Sox. The Blue Jays are owned by Rogers Communications. This is a company that was previously owned by the late Ted Rogers who was worth $7 billion at his death. George Steinbrenner is really only worth a $1 billion and much of it leveraged now in the new Yankee Stadium.

schutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:27 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
Like a previous poster mentioned. The Blue Jays could easily spend as much if not more than the Yankees and the Red Sox. The Blue Jays are owned by Rogers Communications. This is a company that was previously owned by the late Ted Rogers who was worth $7 billion at his death. George Steinbrenner is really only worth a $1 billion and much of it leveraged now in the new Yankee Stadium.
The revenue that the MLB takes in collectively also huge. In '07 for instance, the MLB had $6 billion in revenues. Their website alone had revnue of nearly $400 million in '07 which is then re-distributed.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:31 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
Steinbrenner bought the Yankees for only $10 mil in 1973. As of 2009 they're worth about $1.5 billion. Truly amazing.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oylerz View Post
Hi Reimer... I think he was referring to Matt Holliday but in his eagerness to correct someone else's spelling misspelled Holliday. That's the priceless part for me.

Matt Holliday
Funny part of this is that right after I made tht post I turned it onto TSN and his name went accross the ticker. Friggen strange.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Harley

Aren't we already rebuilding?

Smid, Gilbert, Grebeshkov. Thats a good defensive base to build on. Chorney, Plante etc in the system.

Hemsky, Ganger, Penner, Nilsson, Cogliano, Brule, Jacques, Stone, Sortini isn't a bad starting point up front and none of these guys are anywhere near long in the tooth. Eberle and Paajarvi aren't just some up and comers, I think the two of them are as good a pair of prospects as you'll find out there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think the Oilers are a lot more stocked, a lot further along in the rebuild than the Jays are. The Jays added some pretty exciting talent in that trade. But they are adding to a team with only two stars in the field and a lot of young and still unproven arms in the rotation. They are going to struggle for a few years trying to grow.

I think the Oilers are already on the way up. I already see them getting better. It's a longshot making the playoffs this year but I think we will be going into next year ready to battle all year within the top 8. A few smart trades and the impact of Eberle and Paarjarvi going forward this team has a pretty decent future ahead of us. Championship caliber? Well, that's getting ahead of ourselves. But I think a lot of the pieces are already here.

I'm a big fan of both teams. Hopefully I'll be able to look back to this year as the year that both franchises got on track and really started to improve their fortunes. I'm pretty optimistic about both of them going forward.

My Seahawks? lol They are just purchasing the dynamite.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Aren't we already rebuilding?
No, we are at the ***damn salary cap. Teams that are spent to the cap are not considered as rebuilding. Furthermore the older players that you didn't mention (Khabby, Souray, Vish, Horc) have contracts on the books for 3 or more seasons and take up a rather large chunk of the Oilers cap space.

Christ, did you go to the Kevin Lowe school of rebuilding?

Last edited by Reimer: 12-17-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old
12-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oylerz View Post
This is priceless.
Who the heck is Matt Halliday?

Mark Ricci's cousin.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 03:44 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Vernon Wells in two seasons from now will be making almost as much(in one season) as Horcoff is over the entire 6 years. It is probably the worst contract in professional sports and not really comparable to any other contract.
That contract for Wells is going to hurt the Jays for a very long time. The injuries have caught up to him and I don't see the team being able to trade him.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote