HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Prospect Tracker

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2010, 06:41 AM
r0bert8841

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
I don't know if you watch the griffins games but he is pretty fun to watch. Its kind of irritating though to see some of the older vets on the team get most of the pp time. This guy should be on the first unit out for every pp. I like the fact that he and Tatar are already playing together in the AHL and often on the same line. One more full season to dominate in the AHL for them could make for a real exciting 2011-12 year to have two offensive rookies possibly coming in at the same time.
That drives me crazy too, I am always complaining about that in the other thread. Those guys don't understand the concept of puck possession, it is just brutal to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
We're always looking for the next franchise or franchise-ish type player.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk never had to spend any time in the minors.

Should we measure a prospect's 'franchise-ish-ness' by that kind of standard?
I am pretty sure the Red Wings didn't use the AHL very much at those times. But Datsyuk and Z were both pretty old when they entered the league, Datsyuk 23 and I think Z was 22. Kronwall Filppula and Hudler and every other Detroit prospect have had to spend time in the AHL except maybe Franzen but that is a unique situation.

Old
01-05-2010, 03:01 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
I am pretty sure the Red Wings didn't use the AHL very much at those times. But Datsyuk and Z were both pretty old when they entered the league, Datsyuk 23 and I think Z was 22. Kronwall Filppula and Hudler and every other Detroit prospect have had to spend time in the AHL except maybe Franzen but that is a unique situation.
That's true but none of those last three are franchise-ish type players (Well, at least not yet). As of today, only Tatar has shown glimpses of that kind of quality. It's just that he chose to be here instead of Europe. Chances of that happening around Pav and Z's growing years in Europe probably weren't too good.

Old
01-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Jussha

Quote:
That's true but none of those last three are franchise-ish type players (Well, at least not yet). As of today, only Tatar has shown glimpses of that kind of quality. It's just that he chose to be here instead of Europe. Chances of that happening around Pav and Z's growing years in Europe probably weren't too good.
From what I can remember I thought the reason that red wings are more reliant on the AHL now is because of something with the transfer agreement with Europe now or something. Before I think a team could leave their European prospects in Europe a lot longer without actually signing them to contracts and such. Now you have to sign your European prospects sooner so I believe that is the reason Detroit is bringing these players over sooner than Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and because they are not NHL ready, they got to start in the AHL first. Datsyuk and Zetterberg I believe were able to spend 4 full years in Europe before coming over, so they were a lot more NHL ready then a lot of the Euros we bring over now.

And none of the prospects we have right now are showing that they can be the next Datsyuk or Zetterberg. What Tatar has accomplished so far is quite special as its been a long long time since Detroit has had someone that young already earn an entry level contract, and he does seem to be quite skilled, but when I've watched him in the AHL, what I think we are going to have with Tatar is what Babcock thought Leino was going to be, the better, stronger, and faster version of Jiri Hudler. As long as Tatar's development continues to progress nicely, I think he should be able to achieve that.

However, I still believe that our prospect with the highest ceiling right now is Mursak, whether he can reach that ceiling is still the big question. This guy has world class speed (I really think he might be as fast as Helm) and is actually able to dangle while skating in full flight. The key for him in the next year is going to be increasing his strength on his skates. This was key in allowing Datsyuk to go from being a 1st line centre into an "Elite" first line centre. Even though his build is 5-11 194 lbs, Datsyuk is incredibly strong on his skates, and stronger than a lot of players who are a good 20-25 lbs heavier than him. Mursak right now stands 5-11 and 184 lbs. Datsyuk didn't have that strength until he was around 27 or 28 I'd say, so it is possible that Mursak might be able to improve that aspect of his game.

The fact that he has so far been able to rebound from a horrific rookie season tells me he has the work ethic to improve on his weaknesses, and come close to reaching his ceiling. What will be important for him now is to continue to have a strong season now and not slow down to prove that his rebound this year is for real. Here's to hoping he can do it.

Old
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Looks like Stephen Johnston has been traded to Windsor..

http://www.crashthecrease.com/2010/0...-trade-in-ohl/

Old
01-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Good for him IMO. Now he just needs to get on the ice. Poor guy, horror season.

I'm hoping he'll get an ATO for the Griffins towards the end of the season.

Old
01-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Bama

Adam Almqvist this week.

HV71 elitserien. 3games. 1assist. +3. Average playing time 19:30.

With 4 defenders out Adam has played over 20 minutes in two games this week and nobody is questioning his defensive skills anymore. He is still quite small, but thanks to his hockey sense, he is always in the right position.
He has always played on the powerplay and today he even played some penaltykill.

Adam will probably get quite a lot of playing time even when the injured players are back. At least 12-15 minutes.

Old
01-07-2010, 08:31 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
Adam Almqvist this week.

With 4 defenders out Adam has played over 20 minutes in two games this week and nobody is questioning his defensive skills anymore. He is still quite small, but thanks to his hockey sense, he is always in the right position.
He has always played on the powerplay and today he even played some penaltykill.

Adam will probably get quite a lot of playing time even when the injured players are back. At least 12-15 minutes.
YEEEAAAAAAH!

Old
01-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
Looks like Stephen Johnston has been traded to Windsor..

http://www.crashthecrease.com/2010/0...-trade-in-ohl/
What a lucky *******/

Old
01-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Adam Almqvist this week.

That's what I'm most excited about. We know the guy can put up points, but if he can become solid defensively as well, we'll have something really special.

Old
01-08-2010, 05:17 AM
KCrushers

Dick Axelsson is loaned for the remaninder of the season to Färjestads BK in Karlstad Sweden.
The loan was made public early this morning after diskussions between Ken Holland and Håkan Loob during thursday.

Axelsson will still remain a Detroit prospect and his contract will run over next year, where he will play then is not decided yet but I think that if he doesent snag a spot on the Red Wing roster during camp, he will return to Sweden on loan. (this is just my personal opinion though).

http://www.farjestadsbk.se/showpage.asp?PID=663675264
Confirmation link in Swedish.

Last edited by KCrushers: 01-08-2010 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Holland talked to Loob, not Rundqvist.
Old
01-08-2010, 07:47 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocah View Post
Dick Axelsson is loaned for the remaninder of the season to Färjestads BK in Karlstad Sweden.
The loan was made public early this morning after diskussions between Ken Holland and Håkan Loob during thursday.

Axelsson will still remain a Detroit prospect and his contract will run over next year, where he will play then is not decided yet but I think that if he doesent snag a spot on the Red Wing roster during camp, he will return to Sweden on loan. (this is just my personal opinion though).

http://www.farjestadsbk.se/showpage.asp?PID=663675264
Confirmation link in Swedish.
I knew they'd eventually allow him to play in Sweden. So what does this mean for management that they were strong armed by one player and then "turtled"? I'm thinking they can't really allow that kind of example and so they'll probably get rid of him somehow.

Old
01-08-2010, 08:45 AM
KCrushers

Quote:
I knew they'd eventually allow him to play in Sweden. So what does this mean for management that they were strong armed by one player and then "turtled"? I'm thinking they can't really allow that kind of example and so they'll probably get rid of him somehow.
I don't know if the management showed that they were strong. The only thing strong about the situation is that Holland looked at what had happend and made a decision that was good for both parties.

Axelsson gets to play and Detroit keeps his contract.
Has he damaged his chanses of playin in the NHL? Absolutley and if I got one guess, I'm guessing that Detroit will try to trade him for some low pick during the summer or early next season.

BUT.. They have given themselfs an option to bring a good player over for camp next season and see if he fits the roster then, if not, they really havent lost anything.

The only loser in this whole mess, I think is Jim Nill. It is so obvious that he got furious when Axelsson left and that anger got in the way of making a good decision.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:19 AM
r0bert8841

Quote:
Adam Almqvist this week.

Thanx for the review. This is really exciting seeing Almqvist doing so well despite being so young and small. The Wings could have another gem.

Also I am dissapointed Axelsson is playing in Sweden. Oh well maybe next year.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I don't think Detroit will move HTD unless they get an exeptionally good offer. Everyone knows the potential he has but, mentally, he clearly wasn't where he needed to be this year. But he also now knows what coming over entails and can, maybe, better prepare himself to do it next year while finishing out the year in Sweden.

My guess is that we see the guy in camp again next year.

Old
01-08-2010, 01:29 PM
petesrw

Why does everyone think HTD is so good? I have never seen him play, but it seems everything that I read about him actually doing is negative such as him not producing and his multiple problems with his teams.

Where are these positive opinions coming from?

Old
01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesrw View Post
Why does everyone think HTD is so good? I have never seen him play, but it seems everything that I read about him actually doing is negative such as him not producing and his multiple problems with his teams.

Where are these positive opinions coming from?
by watching him play. he has some magic around him. at times he looks just amazing. he does have it all. i think he has 1st line talent, but the thing is that talent alone won't get him anywhere.
i always enjoyed watching him and when he was into the game he really was into it. it's just that he needs to realize that he has to do that every night.

and not producing is not right. when he was with farjestad the first time, he was almost at one point per game. something not many 21y olds can do. but in GR he was just awful. looked uninspired and everything.

he's wasting his talent. he's not the first to do that and definitely not the last, but it's always sad.

Old
01-08-2010, 03:42 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
he's wasting his talent. he's not the first to do that and definitely not the last, but it's always sad.
Sure is. Axelsson is almost like Ryno all over again, except worse, because Axelsson is more talented. Personally, I put Axelsson's chances of someday playing for Detroit in a regular role at slim to none. I said the same about Ryno when he began demonstrating that he wasn't willing to do what it took to succeed in the NHL. I hope I'm wrong, I hope Axelsson turns it around, but he doesn't exist in a vacuum either. Other top-6 prospects are performing exceptionally well and passing him up.

I doubt the Wings try shopping Axelsson, unless it's part of a larger deal. Frankly, I think a lot of fans over-value him. He's simply not worth much; a 3rd-round pick with huge drawbacks and who is way behind the curve, given his age. Therefore, I doubt they'd be able to get anything for him in a stand-alone trade anyway. I think he has a pretty good SEL career ahead of him and I wish him the best.

Old
01-08-2010, 03:54 PM
sarcastro

Maybe there was some sort of negotiation over Dick's transfer fee. I can't imagine that they just let him go after publicly taking their stand. Or maybe a favor was cashed in/promised.

Old
01-09-2010, 10:41 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Maybe there was some sort of negotiation over Dick's transfer fee. I can't imagine that they just let him go after publicly taking their stand. Or maybe a favor was cashed in/promised.
sometimes you give something, sometimes you take. sweden is the most important hockey market for the wings, so a good relationship to the teams is a plus. the bigger your contact to team is, the more you can influence the development of your prospects on those teams.
so whatever they agreed on could not necessarily have to do with axelsson.
but of course i guess they talked about how to get him into a maturing process that is necessary.

Old
01-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Ahhhh Gustav, how I love thee.

GWG today, +2, 1st star.

Old
01-09-2010, 11:24 PM
KCrushers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
sometimes you give something, sometimes you take. sweden is the most important hockey market for the wings, so a good relationship to the teams is a plus. the bigger your contact to team is, the more you can influence the development of your prospects on those teams.
so whatever they agreed on could not necessarily have to do with axelsson.
but of course i guess they talked about how to get him into a maturing process that is necessary.
From what I've been able to find out the deal that was made was for Färjestad to not only give Axelsson icetime and train him with the team but also provide off ice development. They have for example a mental coach that works with the team that has been in a 6 game losing slump but turned it around the last two games, Axelsson will work with this coach and try to make him better prepared for the off ice situation when going back to camp next season.

There hasent been any information about any transfer fees but I can't imagine Färjestad paying to get him back but probably will pay for some (I don't know how much) of his salery when he's playing here.

He will make his debut on thursday against Marcus Näslund and Peter Forsbergs Modo.

Old
01-10-2010, 09:14 AM
r0bert8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocah View Post
From what I've been able to find out the deal that was made was for Färjestad to not only give Axelsson icetime and train him with the team but also provide off ice development. They have for example a mental coach that works with the team that has been in a 6 game losing slump but turned it around the last two games, Axelsson will work with this coach and try to make him better prepared for the off ice situation when going back to camp next season.

There hasent been any information about any transfer fees but I can't imagine Färjestad paying to get him back but probably will pay for some (I don't know how much) of his salery when he's playing here.

He will make his debut on thursday against Marcus Näslund and Peter Forsbergs Modo.
excellent news thanx! Hopefully this will help HTD

Old
01-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Excuse my ignorance, but why is he called HTD?

Old
01-10-2010, 11:23 AM
r0bert8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but why is he called HTD?
Hat-Trick-Dick is his nickname. But I am not really sure why.

Old
01-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Hat-Trick-Dick is his nickname. But I am not really sure why.
ah, right.. Thanks

Closed Thread