HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Shoulda woulda coulda

Old
12-15-2009, 11:21 PM
HopelessOilFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Well, they kind of need him to turn it around here. Injury or no injury, he's been bad all year.
Just because we need it doesnt mean its going to happen.

We need hemsky, we need our #1 goalie, its just not happening.

If i recall correctly i believe grebs' injury is still nagging him and wont be near 100% until after xmas.
You really cant expect him to come back and play as well as the others who have been playing since before he went down.
I have hope, and i feel its a huge mistake getting down on grebs this much.
He will improve, and has proven last year that he is capeable of doing exactly what we need.

Also to everyone blaming quinn and to the one who said renney would have done better... get real.
Its a team effort on the bench too, im sure renney has just as much a say as quinn or he wouldnt have signed on as the assistant.
Quinn has done wonders this year, we ran into a hot goaltender, had a few unfortunate bounces, and the dive... oh the dive.

This is our first loss in 6 games, some of you are acting like we havent won in years. You cant win them all, and to get this upset with a single loss where we didnt even play very badly is insane.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:21 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
Wow. Never heard Quinn this fired up before.
what's he saying?

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:22 PM
mpah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
what's he saying?
unless i lost my feed he stormed off shortly after saying "we got lots of god damn excuses but it always ends up the same"

mpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Well when you have Jacques looking like he belongs in the AHL minus his hitting and O'Sullivan looking like he was purposely making bad passes and bad dumps what are you going to do.

Despite his early blunder, Grebeshkov provided a ton of great puck movement. If Cogliano had any sort of shot or if Nilsson had any kind of scorer to play with we win this game. Still don't understand why we don't go with an All in Power play.

Visnovsky - Souray - Penner - Brule - Gagner.
Not sure how Jacques looks like he belongs in the AHL? Anyone with that speed, forecheck and physicality can be an NHL regular on my team anyday.

As for why we don't go with that all in powerplay I think it's because there's no shooter on the blueline for the second unit. I like Lubo and Souray split up because it gives us a cannon on both units. Gilbert and Grebs are not a threat to score from the point and opposing teams are quite aware of that. I'd like to see Grebs with Souray on the PP though just because he's a better passer to set up Souray's one-timer whereas Visnovsky has all kinds of options when he gets the puck.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
Just because we need it doesnt mean its going to happen.

We need hemsky, we need our #1 goalie, its just not happening.

If i recall correctly i believe grebs' injury is still nagging him and wont be near 100% until after xmas.
You really cant expect him to come back and play as well as the others who have been playing since before he went down.
I have hope, and i feel its a huge mistake getting down on grebs this much.
He will improve, and has proven last year that he is capeable of doing exactly what we need.

Also to everyone blaming quinn and to the one who said renney would have done better... get real.
Its a team effort on the bench too, im sure renney has just as much a say as quinn or he wouldnt have signed on as the assistant.
Quinn has done wonders this year, we ran into a hot goaltender, had a few unfortunate bounces, and the dive... oh the dive.

This is our first loss in 6 games, some of you are acting like we havent won in years. You cant win them all, and to get this upset with a single loss where we didnt even play very badly is insane.
Needing Hemsky is debateable in my mind but I won't get into that.

If Grebeshkov isn't feeling up to par yet then he should still be sitting out of games and taking part in practice. He claims that he's felt great for about a week now.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:23 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
He was in the lineup tonight...
Yeah, I know, I watched the game, I was slyly trying to bring up my point about, "Don't mess with the streak".

Oilers lost by the smallest of margins tonight, I hope they don't change anything about their game, other than line combos during the PP, it was digusting tonight. Don't mess with the chemistry.

We'll see if the accountability factor shows up next game. A couple bad plays, one by Grebs, the other by Visnovsky and it was 2-0. Eventually the Oilers are going to have to figure out a way to score the first goal, they'll find they will have a much easier time winning a hockey game.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:23 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You're the one bagging on the coach not me. After winning five straight on the road we come home and lose by one against the top team in the western conference who we totally outplayed and outchanced all game long, and you are posting about how the coach blew it for us. Great analysis. You wouldnt know good hockey from bad so happy trolling.
Take a breath...then take another one because you clearly need it.
I have on more than one occasion mentioned Quinns questionable use of the bench. I thought some of his decisions were questionable tonight as well. I never critiqued the players because aside from Visnovsky most of them played quite well. Funny how you have no counter to my post other than name calling.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:24 PM
RKD

Quote:
what's he saying?
Started off by saying, "I've never been angry yet this year. But I'm angry now."

"We've got lots of God damn excuses but it always ends up the same."

"The coming back from a road trip thing - that's another bloody excuse."

He was on for about a minute and that was it. I guess the media was afraid to ask him anything else.

12-15-2009, 11:25 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
no but Penner was going good tonight and Quinn was trying to capitalize on that....it worked in St. Loo and he was hoping it would work again...

again, if Penner doesn't whiff, Quinn looks like a genius
Different circumstances entirely. For one thing St Louis wasn't playing their 2nd game in 2 nights.

Old
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Started off by saying, "I've never been angry yet this year. But I'm angry now."

He was on for about a minute and that was it. I guess the media was afraid to ask him anything else.
Awesome, thanks. I'd like to know what he's so angry about. They didn't play that badly.

Old
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
Yeah, I know, I watched the game, I was slyly trying to bring up my point about, "Don't mess with the streak".

Oilers lost by the smallest of margins tonight, I hope they don't change anything about their game, other than line combos during the PP, it was digusting tonight. Don't mess with the chemistry.

We'll see if the accountability factor shows up next game. A couple bad plays, one by Grebs, the other by Visnovsky and it was 2-0. Eventually the Oilers are going to have to figure out a way to score the first goal, they'll find they will have a much easier time winning a hockey game.

Ohhh...I'm kind of slow on Tuesdays

I am going to solve this by going and making some fudge.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Beautitful dive by Brown. What a tool.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxpower View Post
quinn is PISSED
At who? Himself? I thought the defense was a little passive, but the boys played hard, Quick played very well, and the Kings scored the last goal. The PP was junk, but it was more about line combos then anything.

Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

Yikes. Somebody in the locker room must have said the wrong thing to him immediately following the game.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:27 PM
RKD

Quote:
Awesome, thanks. I'd like to know what he's so angry about. They didn't play that badly.
Also added:

"We've given that team four points this season."

I agree with you. They played well, but unfortunately made some crucial mistakes at the wrong times. I'm sure that last goal is was ticked him off. And rightfully so in that situation.

RKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Take a breath...then take another one because you clearly need it.
I have on more than one occasion mentioned Quinns questionable use of the bench. I thought some of his decisions were questionable tonight as well. I never critiqued the players because aside from Visnovsky most of them played quite well. Funny how you have no counter to my post other than name calling.
The thing is the players would not be playing this hard under another coach IMO.

That's a two way street. The Oilers haven't competed this hard in ages and that can't just be a coincidence.

They will have to work on that PP for sure though.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Ohhh...I'm kind of slow on Tuesdays

I am going to solve this by going and making some fudge.
s'all good, its kind of a heartbreaking loss, but for the Oilers, its all about the next game, its time to prevent the losing streak.

Old
surshot*

Quinn is pissed off with the team big time.

Quinn is just going to keep on drilling the there is no excuses untell there is no excuses. I loved it when he said we gave that team 4 points so far.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
battlegoon

Quote:

Yea its on sportsnet right now, I like what he had to say. This is what weve been missing, a fired up coach. Lets see how the team responds

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:28 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
At who? Himself? I thought the defense was a little passive, but the boys played hard, Quick played very well, abd the Kings scored the last goal. The PP was junk, but it was more about line combos then anything.
Yeah....gee, I wonder who put the lines together?

I dunno.....Quinn's pretty weird sometimes. I can understand why some of the players are confused by things he says.

Old
12-15-2009, 11:29 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The thing is the players would not be playing this hard under another coach IMO.

That's a two way street. The Oilers haven't competed this hard in ages and that can't just be a coincidence.
We don't know that and their compete level is not in question here.

Maybe Quinn should be a little more accountable instead of trying to roast the team when they did give a strong effort.

Old
12-15-2009, 11:30 PM
RKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
We don't know that and their compete level is not in question here.

Maybe Quinn should be a little more accountable instead of trying to roast the team when they did give a strong effort.
Sure they did. Quinn didn't critique the effort, though. He hammered on them for making mistakes that ultimately cost them the game.

RKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

They will have to work on that PP for sure though.
This we can definitely agree on.

Old
battlegoon

Quote:
Hes upset how we gave LA 4 points and he thinks they arent a very good team at all. He was mad at those goals we let in in this game and the last game against the kings. He just didnt like how we lost to a team that isnt all that good

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Crusty Quinn

Quinn was spot on. It needs to be said.

To those saying that we lost because the 1st line was overplayed, did you see the last minute? That supposedly tired line was buzzing and almost capitalized. Obviously the end result was a loss, but they were hardly the reason for it.

Crusty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote