HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why is Rexall so GD quiet?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2009, 02:38 AM
  #26
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well pro sports is a results based business and subjective experience. Losing gets old. It takes effort to have a losing club at home but the Oilers have managed it. I'm not sure why you think a limited sample of games this year so far would trump what the game experience here has been for years.
Ever seen the Oakland Raiders play at home?

KC Chiefs?

Cleveland Browns?

Perennial losers.

You sure **** wouldn't know watching a game played in one of their cities.

What about Montreal? When was the last time they iced a team that was actually GOOD? Doesn't seem to matter there. Calgary hasn't iced an elite team in 20 years... yet their fans come out and go ape **** 41 times a year... and then another 3+ in the playoffs.

This "I paid my money and now I should sit and shut my mouth while wearing a winter jacket" mentality is embarrassing.

Put on a freaking jersey and make some bloody noise...

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:42 AM
  #27
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
Money is one thing, actually being a good crowd is another. I'm not saying they're not pitching in their share of the scrilla. I'm saying Edmonton Oiler fans are boring and jaded. That's a flaw that you can justify if you like, but it doesn't change the cold hard fact that it's embarrassing and useless. It reflects poorly on the fans, not on the team.
I won't justify it or refute it. Its true.


Quote:
Further, when they are so obviously watching exciting hockey, yet they're sitting there ho-humming about playoffs and management, that shows a lot about how much Oiler fans actually understand and appreciate the game of hockey.
On some level its subjective. You find this brand of hockey exciting. I find it a lot more like Ron Low hockey where you expect the club will play fast and loose and physical but lose.

The forward talent on this club is hard to be impressed by. Its just not a very talented forward lineup. Not by any means a disciplined forward lineup either. That takes a lot of my enjoyment away but thats only me.

Quote:
Which, as demonstrated, is very little.
Well of course when you're defining informed from your own perspective everybody elses opinion seems less informed.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:45 AM
  #28
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Rexall Place has been buck wild in the past.

Stating otherwise is simply not true.
Rexall Place has rarely been wild in the regular season.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:47 AM
  #29
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Rexall Place has rarely been wild in the regular season.
Why should it be any different?

I mean, should the playoffs be amped?

Yes.

Should the crowd be ****ing embarrassing during the regular season?

....?

Calgary and Montreal certainly don't seem to have a problem getting up for a regular season game.

Why do we?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:48 AM
  #30
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,087
vCash: 500
I kinda picture the average season ticket holder in Edmonton as looking like Raptors coach Jay Triano:



Except he wears his retro-Gretzky jersey over the hand-knitted Cosby-era sweater his wife made for him and politely sits down to watch the game with his kids.

In the playoffs though ...






Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:52 AM
  #31
Auguste Escoffier
Registered User
 
Auguste Escoffier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I kinda picture the average season ticket holder in Edmonton as looking like Raptors coach Jay Triano:



Except he wears his retro-Gretzky jersey over the hand-knitted Cosby-era sweater his wife made for him and politely sits down to watch the game with his kids.

In the playoffs though ...






Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:54 AM
  #32
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Why should it be any different?

I mean, should the playoffs be amped?

Yes.

Should the crowd be ****ing embarrassing during the regular season?

....?

Calgary and Montreal certainly don't seem to have a problem getting up for a regular season game.

Why do we?
I already stated why. Conditioning.

The Oilers are a horrible home club. Have been for years.

Heres the teams you are insistently comparing to. (same time periods)

Figure it out.

Primary team the Flames: 92-38-11-5 in these games.
Goals for the Flames: 471
Goals against the Flames: 365

(Yeah I think I could manage to cheer for that club that takes pride in establishing its winning game on home ice.)

or

Primary team Montreal: 85-47-4-14 in these games.
Goals for Montreal: 473
Goals against Montreal: 409

(Again no comparison to our pitiful home ice losing record.)

But drone on about how its the fan's fault and whats wrong with us and how come other fans cheer.

Well other fans see their club actually winning on home ice.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:57 AM
  #33
theranfordflop
Registered User
 
theranfordflop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
On some level its subjective. You find this brand of hockey exciting. I find it a lot more like Ron Low hockey where you expect the club will play fast and loose and physical but lose.

The forward talent on this club is hard to be impressed by. Its just not a very talented forward lineup. Not by any means a disciplined forward lineup either. That takes a lot of my enjoyment away but thats only me.
And yet this forward group can hold their own against the likes of Marleau, Heatley, Kopi, Frolov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, on and on.

At some point it becomes delusional to think a team that consistently hangs with the best is just a group of David Olivers.

Quote:
Well of course when you're defining informed from your own perspective everybody elses opinion seems less informed.
No, it is not relative.

If the only thing that will satisfy Oiler fans at a hockey game is a win, regardless of the flow of play, then they are simplistic, unuanced, unappreciative fans.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:02 AM
  #34
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
And yet this forward group can hold their own against the likes of Marleau, Heatley, Kopi, Frolov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, on and on.

At some point it becomes delusional to think a team that consistently hangs with the best is just a group of David Olivers.
Do we consistently hang with the best? Point that out next time we play Chicago. Buffalo.

The better clubs in the league routinely start backup goalie, play an uninspired game, and bore their way to 2pts against us on most nights. SJ last time they played us looked like they'd fall asleep in the second..



Quote:
No, it is not relative.

If the only thing that will satisfy Oiler fans at a hockey game is a win, regardless of the flow of play, then they are simplistic, unuanced, unappreciative fans.
No its actually a lineup with talent and a chance. This is the poorest club that money can buy. Especially at home.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:03 AM
  #35
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I already stated why. Conditioning.

The Oilers are a horrible home club. Have been for years.

Heres the teams you are insistently comparing to. (same time periods)

Figure it out.

Primary team the Flames: 92-38-11-5 in these games.
Goals for the Flames: 471
Goals against the Flames: 365

(Yeah I think I could manage to cheer for that club that takes pride in establishing its winning game on home ice.)

or

Primary team Montreal: 85-47-4-14 in these games.
Goals for Montreal: 473
Goals against Montreal: 409

(Again no comparison to our pitiful home ice losing record.)

But drone on about how its the fan's fault and whats wrong with us and how come other fans cheer.

Well other fans see their club actually winning on home ice.
Oilers are 8-5-2 at home headed in to tonight, riding a 5 game road streak.

Where's the excuse?

I was there and was jacked. I was trying to make noise. Consistently and constantly. ...nobody had any interest in joining.

I've heard about Calgary games.

They actually play - gasp - hockey music. Hard rock. Sure, they mix in a bit of popular country too. But everything is music that you would actually hear in the dressing room.

They play - amazingly - replays of what happens on the ice instead of surfing the crowd to see someone laughing at themselves on the big screen.

They encourage the fans to make noise.

They encourage the fans to wear jerseys.

... why can't we do that?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:05 AM
  #36
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Oilers are 8-6-2 at home headed in to tonight, riding a 5 game road streak.

Where's the excuse?

I was there and was jacked. I was trying to make noise. Consistently and constantly. ...nobody had any interest in joining.

I've heard about Calgary games.

They actually play - gasp - hockey music. Hard rock. Sure, they mix in a bit of popular country too. But everything is music that you would actually hear in the dressing room.

They play - amazingly - replays of what happens on the ice instead of surfing the crowd to see someone laughing at themselves on the big screen.

They encourage the fans to make noise.

They encourage the fans to wear jerseys.

... why can't we do that?
Why can't we have a home team thats any good?

I suspect thats a bigger thing than you imagine. As the numbers emphatically reveal.

In anycase the bolded record is .500 at home as of tonight. Yet you are using that to support your case?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:08 AM
  #37
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Why can't we have a home team thats any good?

I suspect thats a bigger thing than you imagine. As the numbers emphatically reveal.
Define any good.

Seems to me unless it's a playoff game the crowd is pretty pathetic.

Outside of 05-06 (and, once Roloson was on the scene that team was MUCH better than the #8 seed they received - the win the division if he's there all year, our goaltending was astronomically bad), you won't find me saying the team was a good one; though I'll admittedly say that we're likely in the top 8 with a healthy Lubo.

To me that's no excuse to have the team play in a library environment while they're putting on a good show in front of a (mostly liquored up) sold out crowd.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:09 AM
  #38
otto84
Registered User
 
otto84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Yeah, that was pathetic. Last year it was understandable, but when the team returns home after a 5 game winning streak, that crowd should be cheering their pants off.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:09 AM
  #39
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,628
vCash: 500
Oiler fans are the smartest of the bunch. I've been to many of the games, and Mowzie has really nailed it in his observations: The crowd is way too into the game to chant. Although I was surprised to see such low cheering during great plays and the such. Usually Oiler fans are quick to notice the little things the team does and cheer. This game was low on that.

Come playoff time though, everybody gets crazy. God, I could only imagine being at game 6 of the 06 SCF. I still get goosebumps and tears when watching that.

The typical fan will cheer, but will only get louder for each consecutive play they make. It still makes the Oilers one of the hardest barns to play in for that reason (Montreal being the first) - We are a hard lot to please because we know so much of the game. Players rarely understand that about us fans, but at least we aren't like Calgary who are majority fair-weather fans to say the least.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:10 AM
  #40
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Define any good.

Seems to me unless it's a playoff game the crowd is pretty pathetic.
I defined any good in the Montreal and Calgary cases you were eager to select.

Did you even note the dramatic differences in home records of those clubs vs the hapless home Oilers?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:11 AM
  #41
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I defined any good in the Montreal and Calgary cases you were eager to select.

Did you even note the dramatic differences in home records of those clubs vs the hapless home Oilers?
8-5-2 coming off a 5 game road streak seems to jive pretty well with those numbers.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:12 AM
  #42
otto84
Registered User
 
otto84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Oiler fans are the smartest of the bunch. I've been to many of the games, and Mowzie has really nailed it in his observations: The crowd is way too into the game to chant. Although I was surprised to see such low cheering during great plays and the such. Usually Oiler fans are quick to notice the little things the team does and cheer. This game was low on that.

Come playoff time though, everybody gets crazy. God, I could only imagine being at game 6 of the 06 SCF. I still get goosebumps and tears when watching that.

The typical fan will cheer, but will only get louder for each consecutive play they make. It still makes the Oilers one of the hardest barns to play in for that reason (Montreal being the first) - We are a hard lot to please because we know so much of the game. Players rarely understand that about us fans, but at least we aren't like Calgary who are majority fair-weather fans to say the least.
So you're saying Oilers fans can't multi-task?

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:13 AM
  #43
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I defined any good in the Montreal and Calgary cases you were eager to select.

Did you even note the dramatic differences in home records of those clubs vs the hapless home Oilers?
Spare us your drama. It isn't as complicated as you'd like us all to believe.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:14 AM
  #44
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Define any good.

Seems to me unless it's a playoff game the crowd is pretty pathetic.

Outside of 05-06 (and, once Roloson was on the scene that team was MUCH better than the #8 seed they received - the win the division if he's there all year, our goaltending was astronomically bad), you won't find me saying the team was a good one; though I'll admittedly say that we're likely in the top 8 with a healthy Lubo.

To me that's no excuse to have the team play in a library environment while they're putting on a good show in front of a (mostly liquored up) sold out crowd.
A good show?

I paid 3bucks/night to watch a talented Oilers WHA club that featured the best player in the world play some damned good clubs like The Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques, Houston Aeros.

I don't blame people for being a little jaded and wondering why they pay in some cases a 100 times as much to see this crap.

Quinn was apoplectic and angry about the teams substandard performance tonight.

I guess he's worse than the fans..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:15 AM
  #45
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto84 View Post
So you're saying Oilers fans can't multi-task?
Majority of the fans are regulars who are there for every game. It's not a matter of multi-tasking, but rather rewarding the team for a stellar play.

You will rarely see a great play by an Oiler go unnoticed at a game. We know the game, we understand the game. We expect a lot. There is nothing to be ashamed about that. If only the team understood this, they would be a whole better team at home.

But there is a significant disconnect from fans to team. Something the 80s Oilers did not have a lack of, I'll give you that much.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:16 AM
  #46
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Spare us your drama. It isn't as complicated as you'd like us all to believe.
Kind of ironic since I'm the only one in the thread not being dramatic(actually being factual) and not blaming the fans.

The proof is in the pudding.

The response is to the record.

I'm not sure what could be more clear.


Out of curiosity after watching another dog movie to you stand up in the front row clapping?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:17 AM
  #47
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
A good show?

I paid 3bucks/night to watch a talented Oilers WHA club that featured the best player in the world play some damned good clubs like The Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques, Houston Aeros.

I don't blame people for being a little jaded and wondering why they pay in some cases a 100 times as much to see this crap.

Quinn was apoplectic and angry about the teams substandard performance tonight.

I guess he's worse than the fans..
If Quinn just didn't give a ****, I'm sure you'd be right on him about it as well. Just admit there is no pleasing you so we can all just enjoy the game again.


Last edited by smackdaddy: 12-16-2009 at 03:22 AM.
smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:18 AM
  #48
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
A good show?

I paid 3bucks/night to watch a talented Oilers WHA club that featured the best player in the world play some damned good clubs like The Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques, Houston Aeros.

I don't blame people for being a little jaded and wondering why they pay in some cases a 100 times as much to see this crap.

Quinn was apoplectic and angry about the teams substandard performance tonight.

I guess he's worse than the fans..
Oilers out-shot and out-chanced the Kings tonight.

JFJ had a big hit on Doughty and followed it up with a good 'bout against a certified fighter in Ivanas.

Potulny scored an absolute beauty.

Oilers rang iron twice while LA scored on an absolute **** rebound from JDD and a seeing eye goal late in the 3rd.

With any luck the Oilers take tonight 3-1 - easily. She's a ***** sometimes though.

Quinn's conference has a lot more to do with lighting a fire than anything else imo.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:19 AM
  #49
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Kind of ironic since I'm the only one in the thread not being dramatic(actually being factual) and not blaming the fans.

The proof is in the pudding.

The response is to the record.

I'm not sure what could be more clear.


Out of curiosity after watching another dog movie to you stand up in the front row clapping?
You expect way too much from this team. It ain't the 80s anymore. This team has some real challenges to overcome that's as clear as day. There is no need (And no glory) in pointing that out to everyone. To stoop so low as to blame our coaching staff (Heralded as one of the best in the league in years) shows your commitment to negativity.

Learn to enjoy the game for what it is. You picked the team, now suffer the consequences. It's not the end of the world.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:20 AM
  #50
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
If Quinn just didn't give a ****, I'm sure you'd be right on him about it as well. Just admit there is no pleasing you so we can all just enjoy the game again.
Did Quinn state how much he was pleased with the performance?

Why should the fans be.

Silly me I thought they watched the same game.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.