HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is Rexall so GD quiet?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2009, 03:22 AM
  #51
GatoradeG*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
My personal reason for not doing stuff is I am really shy and conservative. I am just saying this for me and not about anyone else. And I am not quoting anyone or saying this in response to anything so don't get all mad.


Also I would like to mention I really don't care how any other person wants to act. They can act how they want to without being judged by others. That's just my opinion though. If they want to be silent and watch the game. Good for them. If they want to chant and go crazy. Good for them. It's not like cheering makes you a better fan or vice versa.


Last edited by GatoradeG*: 12-16-2009 at 04:15 AM.
GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:23 AM
  #52
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You expect way too much from this team. It ain't the 80s anymore. This team has some real challenges to overcome that's as clear as day. There is no need (And no glory) in pointing that out to everyone. To stoop so low as to blame our coaching staff (Heralded as one of the best in the league in years) shows your commitment to negativity.

Learn to enjoy the game for what it is. You picked the team, now suffer the consequences. It's not the end of the world.
You touched upon something here...

I think the fans here expect the team to be as good as the dynasty was.

... that's just not realistic. If over the next 15 years this team makes the playoffs 8 times and wins the cup once I'd be ****ing ecstatic. It's a 30 team league now. We're drawing from a larger talent pool than ever. The difference between "good" and "bad" is continually shrinking.

If the fans here are expecting another 5/7 run, Rexall (both the current location and the future downtown location) isn't going to be a fun place to be.

.. and isn't that why we're all fans again? To have fun?

What's so wrong about losing yourself in a win?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:24 AM
  #53
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Oilers out-shot and out-chanced the Kings tonight.

JFJ had a big hit on Doughty and followed it up with a good 'bout against a certified fighter in Ivanas.

Potulny scored an absolute beauty.

Oilers rang iron twice while LA scored on an absolute **** rebound from JDD and a seeing eye goal late in the 3rd.

With any luck the Oilers take tonight 3-1 - easily. She's a ***** sometimes though.

Quinn's conference has a lot more to do with lighting a fire than anything else imo.
But we're down 2-0 at home and against a tired opponent.

Because a club with the brains of goldfish have decided by now that maybe theres nothing wrong with going down a few goals every night and expecting to pull out a result in a league with an average 3 G/G scored..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:24 AM
  #54
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Did Quinn state how much he was pleased with the performance?

Why should the fans be.

Silly me I thought they watched the same game.
I watched a game where the Oilers out-chanced the Kings 3-2, hit the post twice and watched their starting goaltender give up a **** goal and a questionable goal.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:26 AM
  #55
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
But we're down 2-0 at home and against a tired opponent.

Because a club with the brains of goldfish have decided by now that maybe theres nothing wrong with going down a few goals every night and expecting to pull out a result in a league with an average 3 G/G scored..
Unless of course, lady luck, the ***** she is, played a role in it.

The crowd was dead from the moment the puck dropped. 2-0 has nothing to do with it - many have commented on it.

Past that, we're a supposedly smart crowd that should be able to tell we're outplaying the Kings and simply unable to buy a break.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:31 AM
  #56
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Unless of course, lady luck, the ***** she is, played a role in it.

The crowd was dead from the moment the puck dropped. 2-0 has nothing to do with it - many have commented on it.

Past that, we're a supposedly smart crowd that should be able to tell we're outplaying the Kings and simply unable to buy a break.
Seemed like we got a lot of breaks on the roadtrip and yet thats bonafide 5-0 in your opinion and nothing up with that.

Fans should be solidly behind that as if were really indicative of those games..


Even though we started to make coming from behind look routine.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:32 AM
  #57
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
But we're down 2-0 at home and against a tired opponent.

Because a club with the brains of goldfish have decided by now that maybe theres nothing wrong with going down a few goals every night and expecting to pull out a result in a league with an average 3 G/G scored..
The team was coming off of a 5 game road win streak.

They only started to pick it up in the latter half of the second. Quit expecting this team to be superheroes.

It's impossible to please you. 5-1 in last 6 and you find reasons to complain.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:36 AM
  #58
theranfordflop
Registered User
 
theranfordflop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is the poorest club that money can buy. Especially at home.
I hope you realize how people see you when you write things like this. It really is completely beyond the pale. You've shown more knowledge then to be this trashy.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:44 AM
  #59
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
I hope you realize how people see you when you write things like this. It really is completely beyond the pale. You've shown more knowledge then to be this trashy.
Well they should see me as being correct.

Theres only a few clubs in the league with a worse home record than us over the last 4 seasons.(06-07)

Maybe you haven't really looked into it.

I have. I've run all the numbers before.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:53 AM
  #60
oilerfanatic
Registered User
 
oilerfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Siberia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,192
vCash: 500
cheering in the regular season is overated..when i'm at a game i go buck after goals but i'm usually too busy analyzing the play on the ice instead of chanting for no good reason or partaking in a useless wave..we're real fans who understand the game..

some "fans" who are loud and obnoxious are only there for a night out..they just randomly cheer because they don't know what to focus on..real fans cheer at the right moments and are there to analyze plays, line combos and subtleties on the ice that fairweather fans wouldn't understand..

however, having said that when people do want to get a chant going it has to change to something different than the old "lets go oilers clap clap clap clap clap"...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:58 AM
  #61
Auguste McEscoffier
Registered User
 
Auguste McEscoffier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 5,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
cheering in the regular season is overated..when i'm at a game i go buck after goals but i'm usually too busy analyzing the play on the ice instead of chanting for no good reason or partaking in a useless wave..we're real fans who understand the game..

some "fans" who are loud and obnoxious are only there for a night out..they just randomly cheer because they don't know what to focus on..real fans cheer at the right moments and are there to analyze plays, line combos and subtleties on the ice that fairweather fans wouldn't understand..

however, having said that when people do want to get a chant going it has to change to something different than the old "lets go oilers clap clap clap clap clap"...
Post 9

Auguste McEscoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:00 AM
  #62
theranfordflop
Registered User
 
theranfordflop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well they should see me as being correct.

Theres only a few clubs in the league with a worse home record than us over the last 4 seasons.(06-07)

Maybe you haven't really looked into it.

I have. I've run all the numbers before.
You're a whiner. That's how you come across.

"Why does the crowd suck?"

"Because the team is so bad!"

"Ya, but the team played well!"

"No, the team sucks!"

"But, they played well!"

"No, the team sucks because of last season!"

"We're talking about tonight..."

"The team sucks! David Oliver, WHA!"

I have to ask, why is being bitter about the past to the point of delusion about the present so important to you?

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:13 AM
  #63
oilerfanatic
Registered User
 
oilerfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Siberia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Post 9
yes, i'm one of those fans...i don't believe in brainless "revving" every two minutes in the regular season...it's not a high school pep rally..but to each his own..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:31 AM
  #64
Auguste McEscoffier
Registered User
 
Auguste McEscoffier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 5,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
yes, i'm one of those fans...i don't believe in brainless "revving" every two minutes in the regular season...it's not a high school pep rally..but to each his own..
You're also not a coach, nor a scout. So instead of bringing your pen and paper, pretending your insight means something, enjoy the game. It's not a chess match.

Then again, to each his own.

Auguste McEscoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:38 AM
  #65
Ragss
Registered User
 
Ragss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
Its always quiet when I'm there. Went to...Colorado I think it was earlier this season, the guy with the drum was there and got a chant going a few times, and each time me and my buddy where the only ones going along with it in our section and as soon as he stopped hitting his drum we, along with the entire arena, stopped chanting...which was immediately followed by people laughing about how quickly the chant died.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:57 AM
  #66
theranfordflop
Registered User
 
theranfordflop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
cheering in the regular season is overated..when i'm at a game i go buck after goals but i'm usually too busy analyzing the play on the ice instead of chanting for no good reason or partaking in a useless wave..we're real fans who understand the game..

some "fans" who are loud and obnoxious are only there for a night out..they just randomly cheer because they don't know what to focus on..real fans cheer at the right moments and are there to analyze plays, line combos and subtleties on the ice that fairweather fans wouldn't understand..

however, having said that when people do want to get a chant going it has to change to something different than the old "lets go oilers clap clap clap clap clap"...
You know, I respect that, but it seems like the fans don't cheer when they should. Like after a really good shift, the fans should be cheering, but they just sit there. Why? Because the Oilers didn't score. It's like some kind of Pavlovian thing, where they only react to flashing red lights.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:28 AM
  #67
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grumpier OLD MAN inn
Country: United Nations
Posts: 60,979
vCash: 0
why is it quiet?

well

teh last three hme games I have watched on line have been snooze fests

accept for Stonr, JFJ and a few other it has been like watching grass grow

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:43 AM
  #68
oilerfanatic
Registered User
 
oilerfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Siberia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
You know, I respect that, but it seems like the fans don't cheer when they should. Like after a really good shift, the fans should be cheering, but they just sit there. Why? Because the Oilers didn't score. It's like some kind of Pavlovian thing, where they only react to flashing red lights.
you'll find that more often than not the smart fans will recognize something like that and appreciate the smaller nuances of the game...it's the same reason you'll see smart fans argue a really close offside when those who just come for a night out just sit there dumbfounded..those people need the flashy lights, horns and the jumbotron to get them going..

at least the fairweathers come for a reason (even if it's just to get drunk and make noise)..what really grinds my gears are those who just text or talk on the phone the entire time...why even come to the game..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:47 AM
  #69
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I don't go to many games... but I was there tonight.

My god it was quiet.

There were maybe 3 chants... all 3 started in the nose bleeds. Despite my best efforts, continuing these chants in the lower bowl was damn near impossible. Nobody joined in. One woman actually gave me a dirty look for joining in to a "Lets Go Oilers Lets Go!" chant.

The game was at worst pretty damn decent, following a 5 game winning streak... you would not have known.

And what's with showing all the idiots on the screen instead of, you know, actually showing replays of what just happened on the ice?

That's not even getting into the pathetic pre-game entry...

Was the music on 50% volume tonight?
It's funny you say this because in Winnipeg my group (we're a bunch of season ticket holders with the Moose), we're a loud and rowdy bunch. The good kind. We don't say anything obtrusive or insulting, we cheer like any good fan, and taunt the opposing team's goalie. The Moose cheer leading squad (no, not ice girls) even come to us, and cheer along. But yes, it's mostly dead downbeat Peg fans who attend these games, and give dirty looks, like why are you making those noises? Uhhh, because it's a sporting event, and that's what fans do... They show their support by cheering on the local team, and taunting the other team, especially the goalie, but of course, it's limited and in taste, not to annoy fans. Some people can over do it. Everything is good in moderation. As long as people apply that one rule, I don't think other spectators should be giving the dirty look.

Having said all of that, come playoff time the house is a jumpin', and sometimes our group's antics can be drowned out by the abundance of fan support... which is awesome, but it only seems to come out during times fans feel we have a great shot at winning it all. Meh, typical average fan. Fickle, and of the bandwagon variety. Call them when the team is winning and is this close "-" from winning it all. Otherwise, "what's a hockey puck?"

Geeit out of my arena!!!

All in all, I guess Winnipeg and Edmonton share the same sufferable boring conservative crowds... wooooooo.... so wary wary scawy!

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:08 AM
  #70
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I don't go to many games... but I was there tonight.

My god it was quiet.

There were maybe 3 chants... all 3 started in the nose bleeds. Despite my best efforts, continuing these chants in the lower bowl was damn near impossible. Nobody joined in. One woman actually gave me a dirty look for joining in to a "Lets Go Oilers Lets Go!" chant.

The game was at worst pretty damn decent, following a 5 game winning streak... you would not have known.

And what's with showing all the idiots on the screen instead of, you know, actually showing replays of what just happened on the ice?

That's not even getting into the pathetic pre-game entry...

Was the music on 50% volume tonight?

I agree with this. My last game, my friend and I started countless chants in which NOBODY joined in on. It was fairly pathetic. The drunk Hawks fan infront of us thought all the Oilers fans had fallen asleep, and I don't blame him.

The guys beside us thanked us at the end of the game and said they appreciated our cheering. But it was a ****ing library in there.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:23 AM
  #71
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder
 
McCupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: United States
Posts: 15,634
vCash: 500
Why are you guys surprised? Rexall has always been a library during the regular season especially against non divisional opponents, at least that's the way it always comes off on TV, it's weird when you consider the big crowds every night.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:28 AM
  #72
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27,564
vCash: 3251
Well last year Laforge said 80% of tickets are corporate seats and used for taking clients out. In the business world how would it look if you had a crazy fan with you?

I may be wrong, but it sure the hell seems like that could be the reason.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:15 AM
  #73
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: no thanks
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,614
vCash: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Kind of ironic since I'm the only one in the thread not being dramatic(actually being factual) and not blaming the fans.

The proof is in the pudding.

The response is to the record.

I'm not sure what could be more clear.


Out of curiosity after watching another dog movie to you stand up in the front row clapping?
I agree with you Replacement. The Oilers have played uninspired hockey at home especially for the last four years.
What do you guys not get? The fact of the matter is, this team is not consistent and so far this year it is no different. Don't get me wrong, I was really happy with the streak, however I knew they would be playing some good teams at home once they came back. Once again, they failed to show up for this game and you expect the fans to be all excited because of a five game winning streak. The team is on the outside looking in in terms of the playoffs and fans of this team have consistently watched the Oilers go on prolonged losing streaks and then try to make a desperate attempt to make the playoffs.

Lastly, as Replacement said this is a results based business and unfortunately the Oilers are not getting the results. So spare me this is all the fans fault for their poor record at home. When the team consistently wins at home and especially plays a full sixty minutes perhaps then the crowds will be louder.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:18 AM
  #74
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: no thanks
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,614
vCash: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Ever seen the Oakland Raiders play at home?

KC Chiefs?

Cleveland Browns?

Perennial losers.

You sure **** wouldn't know watching a game played in one of their cities.

What about Montreal? When was the last time they iced a team that was actually GOOD? Doesn't seem to matter there. Calgary hasn't iced an elite team in 20 years... yet their fans come out and go ape **** 41 times a year... and then another 3+ in the playoffs.

This "I paid my money and now I should sit and shut my mouth while wearing a winter jacket" mentality is embarrassing.

Put on a freaking jersey and make some bloody noise...
The fans of these teams drink themselves into a stupor so the losses are easier to take as well. If you think they aren't frustrated try visiting their team boards, I happen to be a Dolphins fan and the negativity from there causes wrinkles for me.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:20 AM
  #75
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Definitely booed at the end of the 2nd... and it made no damn sense, given the way the team had played up until that point.
Wasn't that the end of a baaad bad bad baaaad awful powerplay?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.