HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is Rexall so GD quiet?

Old
12-16-2009, 10:21 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I watched a game where the Oilers out-chanced the Kings 3-2, hit the post twice and watched their starting goaltender give up a **** goal and a questionable goal.
They lost, they lost, they lost it doesn't matter about the chances, it is a RESULTS based business.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:24 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
You know, I respect that, but it seems like the fans don't cheer when they should. Like after a really good shift, the fans should be cheering, but they just sit there. Why? Because the Oilers didn't score. It's like some kind of Pavlovian thing, where they only react to flashing red lights.
You seem to be the real authority on how fans should behave at the games, try submitting your resume and make a difference.

Old
12-16-2009, 10:25 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well last year Laforge said 80% of tickets are corporate seats and used for taking clients out. In the business world how would it look if you had a crazy fan with you?

I may be wrong, but it sure the hell seems like that could be the reason.
80%?!!! That is not true.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:28 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
You seem to be the real authority on how fans should behave at the games, try submitting your resume and make a difference.
Sigh... Nice one?

I'm just pointing out the obvious. Last night, when the Oilers had a good shift, nobody cheered. And they had many good shifts. That shows a lack of appreciation for the game of hockey.

Why am I even responding to this...

Waaaaah! Boohoo, they lost for the first time in 6 games! I'm so angwee!

Old
12-16-2009, 10:29 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Sigh... Nice one?

I'm just pointing out the obvious. Last night, when the Oilers had a good shift, nobody cheered. And they had many good shifts. That shows a lack of appreciation for the game of hockey.

LOL lack of appreciation for the game of hockey, overly dramatic are we.

Old
12-16-2009, 10:31 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
LOL lack of appreciation for the game of hockey, overly dramatic are we.
No, that's just what it is. If you can't get up for a team playing well, and the only thing that matters to you is if they win at the end, then you don't appreciate hockey.

It's pretty simple.

Old
12-16-2009, 10:34 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

I got past angry a long time ago friend so keep on assuming. Apathy has set in for me and I happened to defend a guy who kept bringing up this is a results based business. So we happen to disagree, trust me fans of this team have seen this song and dance for a long time and they are understandably frustrated with how the last three years have been.

Old
12-16-2009, 10:35 AM
theranfordflop

Oh wait, I just checked out your post history invisiblecola...

Another complete non-contributor who just pops in to whine and snipe at people. Wow, what a shock.

Seeya later.

Old
12-16-2009, 10:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
80%?!!! That is not true.
That's what Laforge says and truthfully everyone I know that has tickets buys them through their personal business.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:39 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
No, that's just what it is. If you can't get up for a team playing well, and the only thing that matters to you is if they win at the end, then you don't appreciate hockey.

It's pretty simple.
LOL, okay than why do I bother coming to this board to talk about my favorite team? I really love the fact they play inconsistently at home so I appreciate the game more than you. Cmon are you serious?

Old
12-16-2009, 10:40 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Oh wait, I just checked out your post history invisiblecola...

Another complete non-contributor who just pops in to whine and snipe at people. Wow, what a shock.

Seeya later.
Good for you and the nonsense you post is nauseous as well. See ya later.

Old
12-16-2009, 10:41 AM
9GWG9

Easy. After the 06 run it became the place to be and more money started showing up and the die hards numbers were reduced. I remember the home opener after the lockout, It was like being at a playoff game. I have not heard a good crowd since 06.

9GWG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:45 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GWG9 View Post
Easy. After the 06 run it became the place to be and more money started showing up and the die hards numbers were reduced. I remember the home opener after the lockout, It was like being at a playoff game. I have not heard a good crowd since 06.
Its a shame because even before the lockout the building was louder particularly games against the Canucks, Flames and especially the Stars.

Old
12-16-2009, 10:51 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...73361-sun.html
That is why fans get frustrated and find it hard to cheer for this team at home.

Old
12-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Sigh... Nice one?

If you're upset with the fans behavior here, you should see how they react in Toronto. They'll shush you while they eat their sushi and talk business. The fans here are boisterous compared to that.

My own opinion..... I just think our fans have been let down so many times in the last 15 years, they tend to take a wait and see attitude at times. Last night was probably bad, but I wouldn't paint all fans and all our home games like that. It was like dejavu with an earlier Kings game, and as it turns out, they were right. When/if we really get going, I think you'll really see people step it up in tune with the players.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Have we had a decent team since then?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Ditto. Or even a healthy team. Kinda hard for a city to fall in love with a team when they really don't have a good read on several players. Even this year with no real big trades, there's still Brule, Potulny, Stone, JFJ, etc. added to the mix and Comrie back and then gone.

But really ... is this even something new? Oilers crowds have been notorious for being quiet since the 1980s during the regular season.

I also would probably contend the fact that last night was more quiet than usual may have something to do with the fact that a lot of the U of A kids are hunkered down for final exams right now, and they're probably the nosiest fans.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:05 AM
9GWG9

Quote:
I think we have a better team this year than in 06. Things just have not turned out as planned. We have been plauged by injuries and lack of production from a few since 06.

Only cheering your team during the good time does not make a dedicated fan in my books. Its like a relationship, you stick it out through the good and bad and always give 100% effort.

9GWG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
I think we have a better team this year than in 06. Things just have not turned out as planned. We have been plauged by injuries and lack of production from a few since 06.

Only cheering your team during the good time does not make a dedicated fan in my books. Its like a relationship, you stick it out through the good and bad and always give 100% effort.
If other franchises had gone through what the Oilers have the last three years ... even in Canadian cities, you'd be seeing a lot of empty seats by now (imagine in Calgary if the Flames missed the playoffs for three years in a row and were forced to deal Iginla at gun point).

At least people are still showing up here and still care after a lot of heart breaking events. Those tickets are not cheap either.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
While I'm at it and having enjoyed a few Rexall beers.....

... would it kill people to wear a ****ing jersey to the game?
I hope you meant "consumed" rather than "enjoyed".

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:11 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
That's the problem true fans cheer regardless of who good or bad their team is.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:16 AM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
some of you posters are hilarious... depicting yourselves as almighty ... lol..

"Maybe you haven't really looked into it.

I have. I've run all the numbers before."

man... if I was a player, I couldn't wait to get out of here because of people like you... take the fun out of hockey lol.

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:17 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
If you're upset with the fans behavior here, you should see how they react in Toronto. They'll shush you while they eat their sushi and talk business. The fans here are boisterous compared to that.
I've been to Rogers Center, it is loud as all get out in there. There are tons of diehard fans. They put on a good show there. And the last time I went was last season, when there was even less to cheer for than we have!

Quote:
My own opinion..... I just think our fans have been let down so many times in the last 15 years, they tend to take a wait and see attitude at times. Last night was probably bad, but I wouldn't paint all fans and all our home games like that. It was like dejavu with an earlier Kings game, and as it turns out, they were right. When/if we really get going, I think you'll really see people step it up in tune with the players.
I guess I just don't get why this is a justifiable way to act. The team is visibly, obviously playing a different brand of hockey from the last three seasons, yet people are still sitting there going, "oh same old, same old"?

They only want to see wins, and that's it? Otherwise they're bored and disappointed?

Old
12-16-2009, 11:19 AM
joestevens29

Anyone ever hear how load those kids are in the 300's? Maybe it's time to move them down to behind the bench to jump start our team and the rest of the fans.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:21 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's the problem true fans cheer regardless of who good or bad their team is.
Well I don't think I would agree with that.

I think I would say that real fans will cheer a team that displays hard work and commitment on the ice. Which is what the Oilers have been showing all season long. A commitment to giving it their best each game.

That wasn't true last season, or the season before that. The Oilers were a lazy, uncommited team, and I could completely understand the lack of enthusiasm. The team itself wasn't enthusiastic, so how could the fans be?

But this season, the team IS enthusiastic. They work hard each and every shift. So why are the fans still so apathetic?