HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why is Rexall so GD quiet?

Old
12-16-2009, 11:23 AM
pox

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to pox
beer is too expencive

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:24 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoo View Post
some of you posters are hilarious... depicting yourselves as almighty ... lol..

"Maybe you haven't really looked into it.

I have. I've run all the numbers before."

man... if I was a player, I couldn't wait to get out of here because of people like you... take the fun out of hockey lol.
Toronto Maple Leafs say hi. Players don't want to play here because of our record and our location not because of our fickle fans.

If we had an electrifying player perhaps the fans could overlook our record at home. Case in point, Ovechkin. When he first came into the league the Capitals were terrible especially at home. However with his enthusiasm and zest for the game fans started to show up and get into the games. I know its a bad example just throwing it out there.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
Well I don't think I would agree with that.

I think I would say that real fans will cheer a team that displays hard work and commitment on the ice. Which is what the Oilers have been showing all season long. A commitment to giving it their best each game.

That wasn't true last season, or the season before that. The Oilers were a lazy, uncommited team, and I could completely understand the lack of enthusiasm. The team itself wasn't enthusiastic, so how could the fans be?

But this season, the team IS enthusiastic. They work hard each and every shift. So why are the fans still so apathetic?
There was that like 1 month stretch with the flu and all the injuries this year where they did play like the Mac T Oilers.

Quinn's system really has only started paying dividends in December, which is actually about how long I figured it would take.

And yes, while this year's group certainly plays with more effort when they have a half-way healthy roster, the roster itself still has some issues that no coach or no system can completely mask.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:27 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Well I don't think I would agree with that.

I think I would say that real fans will cheer a team that displays hard work and commitment on the ice. Which is what the Oilers have been showing all season long. A commitment to giving it their best each game.

That wasn't true last season, or the season before that. The Oilers were a lazy, uncommited team, and I could completely understand the lack of enthusiasm. The team itself wasn't enthusiastic, so how could the fans be?

But this season, the team IS enthusiastic. They work hard each and every shift. So why are the fans still so apathetic?
The Oilers have not displayed hard work and commitment all season long. They lack energy at times and too many brain farts have cost the team games. I guess Pat Quinn is just a bad coach for criticizing the team eh?

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:36 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
There was that like 1 month stretch with the flu and all the injuries this year where they did play like the Mac T Oilers.
Well... I think they had some bad games in that stretch for sure. But I don't think they played at all like the MacT Oilers.

In fact, they played more like the MacT Oilers when they were winning early on in the season. Getting outshot by 10-15 shots in games, turning the puck over constantly. The numbers show a gradual increase in shots and time of possession numbers, even during that losing stretch.

Quote:
Quinn's system really has only started paying dividends in December, which is actually about how long I figured it would take.

And yes, while this year's group certainly plays with more effort when they have a half-way healthy roster, the roster itself still has some issues that no coach or no system can completely mask.
While I agree completely that this team has more to learn, and that roster changes are inevitable, I just don't see how that means the fans are justified in sitting there like zombies when the Oilers, after playing a very well rounded, gritty, 60 minute game, are trying to net the tying goal late in the third.

It's just kind of disappointing that the fans can't even get up for that.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Well... I think they had some bad games in that stretch for sure. But I don't think they played at all like the MacT Oilers.

In fact, they played more like the MacT Oilers when they were winning early on in the season. Getting outshot by 10-15 shots in games, turning the puck over constantly. The numbers show a gradual increase in shots and time of possession numbers, even during that losing stretch.

While I agree completely that this team has more to learn, and that roster changes are inevitable, I just don't see how that means the fans are justified in sitting there like zombies when the Oilers, after playing a very well rounded, gritty, 60 minute game, are trying to net the tying goal late in the third.

It's just kind of disappointing that the fans can't even get up for that.
I think you may just have to accept Rexall/Northlands is a quiet building come regular season time, especially in the dead of December.

Always has been, even when Gretzky and co. were suiting up.

At least the Oilers still have fans that bother to go to the games.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:50 AM
OilCity99

I agree the rink has been quite and it would be nice to have a more enthusiastic crowd, and yes san jose is louder (during the regular season). But, we have a very educated hockey crowd that has been dissapointed for a long time. San Jose has energetic fans that cheer even when there own team goes offside. Give the oil fans a reason ie: playoff run of 2006 and they will cheer.

OilCity99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
cheering in the regular season is overated..when i'm at a game i go buck after goals but i'm usually too busy analyzing the play on the ice instead of chanting for no good reason or partaking in a useless wave..we're real fans who understand the game..

some "fans" who are loud and obnoxious are only there for a night out..they just randomly cheer because they don't know what to focus on..real fans cheer at the right moments and are there to analyze plays, line combos and subtleties on the ice that fairweather fans wouldn't understand..

however, having said that when people do want to get a chant going it has to change to something different than the old "lets go oilers clap clap clap clap clap"...
Quote:
you'll find that more often than not the smart fans will recognize something like that and appreciate the smaller nuances of the game...it's the same reason you'll see smart fans argue a really close offside when those who just come for a night out just sit there dumbfounded..those people need the flashy lights, horns and the jumbotron to get them going..

at least the fairweathers come for a reason (even if it's just to get drunk and make noise)..what really grinds my gears are those who just text or talk on the phone the entire time...why even come to the game..
Pompous much?

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Jarret Stoll

What most people in the league dont realise is that the Oilers have some of the most knowledgeable fans in the league, that also pay a ridiculous price to watch a mediocre team. The higher officals in the front office assume a cup run will sell tickets in the aftermath 5 years later, they couldnt be more wrong. Rexall has been getting quieter with more seniors warming the seats as of late, curling could be as exciting to watch just as much as the product that has been a placed on the ice the last 3 years. Rexall use to be a funhouse, but now its just full of idiots.

Jarret Stoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:59 AM
RKD

I wouldn't compare us to Calgary and say they're going ape **** 41 times a year. The Saddledome has been the quietest it's been in years this season. No atmosphere to speak of. Of course, the team hasn't been very good at home this year, but still. That barn is equally as quiet as ours has been this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
why is it quiet?

well

teh last three hme games I have watched on line have been snooze fests

accept for Stonr, JFJ and a few other it has been like watching grass grow
What? Two of the last three home games have been some of the best of the year.

12-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarret Stoll View Post
What most people in the league dont realise is that the Oilers have some of the most knowledgeable fans in the league, that also pay a ridiculous price to watch a mediocre team.
I don't know people think Oilers fans are any more knowledgeable than any other fan in any other Canadian city. In terms of hockey knowledge, I'd expect Habs fans would give a run for the money, yet they are able to continue to bring a passion for the team that exposes Oilers fans as the dilettantes they are.

Quote:
Rexall has been getting quieter with more seniors warming the seats as of late, curling could be as exciting to watch just as much as the product that has been a placed on the ice the last 3 years. Rexall use to be a funhouse, but now its just full of idiots.
So is it the product or the fact that the "most knowledgeable fans in the league" are idiot senior citizens? Your confusion is confusing.

Old
12-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
I wouldn't compare us to Calgary and say they're going ape **** 41 times a year. The Saddledome has been the quietest it's been in years this season. No atmosphere to speak of. Of course, the team hasn't been very good at home this year, but still. That barn is equally as quiet as ours has been this year.
That's because Calgary fans are just so smart and cerebral.

Last edited by Little Fury: 12-16-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old
12-16-2009, 12:10 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Why is the building not noisy? One reason is because a lot of the "experience" side of things are pretty lame. The contests have gotten stupid. Everyone seems to hate the secondary announcer and thinks Scholz is nothing but a goof. The music runs the gamut from really crappy 80s music (and there's a lot of good that could and should be played) to weird techno Christmas music and remakes of good songs by lame artists. Nothing to get you pumped up. The opening video and music is brutal. There's nothing there to assist you in being loud for the team.

I've been there for a few years now, and it used to be a lot better, simpler and more effective.

On ice performance would of course help. If this team was first in the NW, the games would be loud. They sure were last time we hit that spot.

Also, this is a group that sees fit to cheer the "contests" where a pre-made video with a pre-made result and pre-positioned volunteers have already selected the winner, believing they can influence the decision. A lot of us get a pretty good chuckle out of that, but it's also disturbing that during some games its the loudest point.

A hugely loud building during the regular season isn't a big priority for me as I think it only really make a difference in the playoffs, but there are times when the team should be cheered, like coming off a 5-game road winning streak. Saturday night games are always good.

There's just so little to get you in the mood before the games...you need to supply your own entirely.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Soundwave

I don't think the city is ready to really emotionally invest in this team knowing Hemsky is done for the season and Khabibulin has been out for a while too.

Of course I think people were happy with that win streak, but they've seen streaks before.

Fact is ... most cities would start having empty seats if they missed the playoffs for the 3 years and then lost their best player for the season before Christmas going into year 4. Maybe Montreal and Toronto wouldn't, but I think Calgary and Vancouver would in the same circumstance.

Old
12-16-2009, 12:15 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Im thinkin its cause there isnt much to get excited about. During the glory years Rexall was a morgue. Its always been like that, except for playoffs.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Ad Rock

I have not read the entire thread but I am glad that this thread exists after me stating just a few days ago that the atmosphere inside Rexall is just brutal now.

I will repeat what I said in the other thread, go to a Habs regular season game and you will be embarrassed by what happens at a game in Rexall. The fans at the Bell Center are going nuts even before the puck drops. When we walked into the building last year we kept hearing these random bursts of really loud cheering/screaming and had no idea what was going on, once we got to our seats we saw that they shoot a image of each Hab onto center ice and when they do the fans erupt each time a new Hab is shown on the ice. That experience alone gave me chills.

I am not trying to dump on the Oilers here, I just wish I knew why it seems like everyone in the place is acting like they are sitting at home on their couch watching the game on TV alone. I love my Oilers and I will never be able to cheer for another team, I just wish the live experience would improve. At this point if I ever move back to Edmonton I think I would rather watch the game on TV, at least I would be able to see everything that is going on and have the added benefit of the PVR to re-examine certain plays.

Ad Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Rock View Post
When we walked into the building last year we kept hearing these random bursts of really loud cheering/screaming and had no idea what was going on, once we got to our seats we saw that they shoot a image of each Hab onto center ice and when they do the fans erupt each time a new Hab is shown on the ice. That experience alone gave me chills.
The Oilers had that camera for the season opener last season. I don't know whether they cheaped out or what but they obviously didn't buy it. Very cool piece of gear. Carolina had it too.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Ad Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
The Oilers had that camera for the season opener last season. I don't know whether they cheaped out or what but they obviously didn't buy it. Very cool piece of gear. Carolina had it too.
This actually was not even a live feed, it was just the stock photo of the player (like you would see on a hockey card or on the NHL.com website) projected onto center ice.

Maybe it was just how the Habs approach each game but it really felt like they were trying to make the entire experience of being at the game the real selling point and not just the product on the ice?

When Gillett owned the team he always said that kids tend to pick their life-long recreational activities when they are around 13-14 years old. So he made sure that there was a 'cheap seat' zone sponsored by Saputo and that the Habs did everything they could to ensure those kids were enjoying the games with their families.

Outside of that one year where they were pretty dominant in the regular season the Habs have not really performed any better than the Oilers in the recent past so the on-ice product can not really be the difference maker. There is something that the Habs are doing as an organization that is making the difference, the Oilers need to figure out what this is and capture it for themselves.

Ad Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:27 PM
BandwagonBasher

I wish something could be done about the disrespectful A-Hole clownshoe @#$%faces that shout stuff out during the American National Anthem. I was at the game, and if those clowns would have been in my section they would have found themselves with a fat lip. No wonder we get such a bad rep. It only takes a few ******** to ruin a nice moment. Show some respect you clowns.
I was at the game, and it was quiet, but the game wasn't exactly very exciting either. The biggest cheer of the night was when the jumbotron showed some dude pulling his jersey up and rubbing his nipples. Funny, yeah, exciting? no.

BandwagonBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
mpah

vCash: 50
i am a bit late on this discussion but i feel i need to say something

i have attended every oilers game at GM place for the past 2 years, where the Oilers including pre-season have only won once

now every time before the puck is even dropped - the entire crowd is chanting "OILERS SUCK" now i HATE that, i always try with other oilers fans around the few that are there to counter with a "ZERO CUPS" chant

but this is not my point, the point is the canucks fans as ignorant and stupid as they may seem, get right in to it from before the puck drop - without any "MAKE SOME NOISE" jumbo-tron graphic and i have to think it plays a big part in making the oilers feel uncomfortable

any time ive watched an oilers game in rexall place - the crowd definitely seems more "hesitant" to get in to the game cheer on the team - like someone said, maybe one or two chants but not much that really shows the team any support unless they are up in the score (which this season is rare to see)

i am not saying canucks fans are better, smarter or even better looking because i would rather kill myself

but the fans in GM place are a factor, look at the canucks home record and it speaks for itself - the fans at rexall need to step it up and make Rexall a good place to play for the Oil and a HARD place to play for anyone else

/end

mpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:44 PM
mcote97

Drop ticket prices by %50, and crowd noise will go up. I went to my first game in edmonton last year and it was a breath of fresh air compaired to GM Place. Shhhhh is all you hear in the lower bowl in vancouver, and in the upper bowl a little bit better, but nothing like edmonton or even calgary. The first game this year the oil played in vancouver, i could have slept there it was soooo quiet. I hate quiet crowds!

mcote97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
mcote97

I still remeber a interview with glen sather during the 88 finals talking about the crowd in boston and how they are a bunch of drunks, and it was stupid they would pay $15-$20 to come to a game to get drunk. 20 years later it is really stupid paying $200 and $8 a beer, to get drunk at the games.

mcote97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:52 PM
mpah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcote97 View Post
Drop ticket prices by %50, and crowd noise will go up. I went to my first game in edmonton last year and it was a breath of fresh air compaired to GM Place. Shhhhh is all you hear in the lower bowl in vancouver, and in the upper bowl a little bit better, but nothing like edmonton or even calgary. The first game this year the oil played in vancouver, i could have slept there it was soooo quiet. I hate quiet crowds!
ummm are you sure you were at the game and not sitting on the couch at home?

I was at the game (in the lower bowl) and the crowd was very in to the game - before the puck dropped it was nothing but "oilers suck" chants

any time the canucks bring the puck in to the opposing zone the crowd gets loud ... which i find a bit ridiculous but still - from what i see on TV of rexall place it seems completely different from the energy the fans give off at GM place - even though i hate them so. so. so. much

mpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxpower View Post
but the fans in GM place are a factor, look at the canucks home record and it speaks for itself - the fans at rexall need to step it up and make Rexall a good place to play for the Oil and a HARD place to play for anyone else
/end
I can sympathize to some extent with the argument put forward by Replacement that the product on ice hasn't been much to cheer about. That said, I find it mind boggling that anybody would pay the extortionate prices for tickets just to sit back and wait to be wowed. Thatís fine if youíre at the opera or the symphony, but itís pretty self-defeating when it comes to a hockey game.

If it were up to me, Iíd set aside a section of cheap seats for families and kids and then another section of cheaps (on the opposite side of the rink) for those people who want to bring the ruckus.

Old
12-16-2009, 02:09 PM
OntOilFan

The organization should just be thankful it still has fans who pay to show up to watch the team.

If they give us something to cheer about, I'm sure we will cheer.

The fact is since the lockout, the Oilers have routinely been among the worst and unpredictable home ice teams in the NHL. On any given night, there's no guarantee or even reasonable expectation that the Oilers will come out hard and take control, as good home teams do.

The result is a jittery crowd just waiting for that inevitable blooper, mistake, missed assignment, weak goal or bad penalty to completely take the wind out of the place.

Should a crowd as educated as Edmonton's be jacked, rabid, and unhinged when most of the people in the seats are expecting a loss?

Like I said, it's amazing the team still has paying fans. Complaining that they're not loud enough is frankly ridiculous.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote