HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shot Blocking Injuries

Old
12-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Elshupacabra

vCash: 500
Shot Blocking Injuries

I blocked a shot from the point in a game last night, it caught me just below the end of the shin pad on the tongue of the skate, off to the side a little bit. When it first happened it just numbed up instantly and had that weird tingling feeling, so I got the puck out of the zone and went for a change, that happened to be my last shift of the game so I went into the locker room after the game and inspected it, nothing I didn't expect to see, just a little lump and a red mark. I showered and drove home and it was sore, but nothing too bad. But now, a couple hours later, I can't put any weight on that foot at all. It's swollen up quite a bit and is quite painful. I put some ice on it and I elevated it but I didn't have an ACE bandage handy (stupid) so there hasn't been a whole ton of compression applied to it.

So, I was just wondering if there's anything else I can do or just tough it out? I don't think it's terribly serious, other wise I'd go to the doctor but I just want to know if there are any good remedies or anything like that and maybe hear a couple of your shot blocking injury stories.

Just to clarify, it's not in the middle it's off to the out side of the right leg, just inside the ball of the ankle. It feels like there is a small muscle or tendon in there that is really swelled up.

Elshupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Ragss

Similar thing happened to me last winter. I was on D skating beside my man towards the corner taking away his shot, but he shot anyways. Hit the inside of my right ankle probably just on the edge of the skate tongue. Hurt like a *****, but numbed up pretty quick. Finished my shift, got to the bench and suddenly I was in a world of pain. My team mates were laughing at me cause I was just sitting their writhing around and grimacing. I ended up taking one more shift cause I didn't feel like sitting out for the rest of the game. That was kinda stupid.

Anyways...turns out it was sprained and I couldn't skate for about 6 weeks after that. In my case I could put some weight on it, but my ankle had zero mobility. If the joint was utilized whatsoever for movement it was excruciating. Hopefully your ankle isn't sprained, cause its pretty frustrating being kept from hockey from such a lame injury.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 08:47 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Similar thing happened to me last winter. I was on D skating beside my man towards the corner taking away his shot, but he shot anyways. Hit the inside of my right ankle probably just on the edge of the skate tongue. Hurt like a *****, but numbed up pretty quick. Finished my shift, got to the bench and suddenly I was in a world of pain. My team mates were laughing at me cause I was just sitting their writhing around and grimacing. I ended up taking one more shift cause I didn't feel like sitting out for the rest of the game. That was kinda stupid.
Same thing happened to me, after my shift I went to the bench and took my skate off (rather stupid, I've only been playing for 3 years now, never been seriously injured outside of concussions). Inside of my right ankle swelled up right above the ball of the ankle, and I missed a good 4 weeks.

OP, best thing to do is get an X-ray done to make sure nothing's broken (if there is any things heal improperly it could be bad for your hockey playing career...better safe than sorry). Other than that, elevation, keeping off it, and ice are good things.

I also had bought a compression boot that you can buy at medical supply stores. Maybe look into that, but I paid $30 WITH a prescription, so no idea how much it costs fully.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:13 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Take a few ibuprofen, it'll help with the swelling. Other then that, ice and compress, and for future reference you need to start icing it as soon as possible to prevent swelling in the first place.

And going to the doctor to make sure there's nothing more the the bruise is a good idea. and you shouldn't need a compression boot, an ace bandage should be fine. I usually keep an ankle and a knee in my bag for scenarios like yours, though a roll bandage would work jsut as well. I just had the premade ones available from previous bumps and dings.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:03 PM
noobman

Blocking shots can either leave you with bruises or broken bones.

Go to the doctor to make sure that nothing's fractured. I broke my hand taking a slapshot off the glove a few years ago (the padded side too... that kid had a rocket of a shot).

To be fair, it doesn't really sound like a fracture. From my experience, the extreme pain from a bone fracture is almost instantaneous. Then again, I'm not a doctor. *IF* your bone isn't broken, use ice for the first 48hrs after the injury to reduce inflammation, then heat to promote bloodflow and tissue healing afterwards. Some people like to alternate between hot and cold treatment after the initial injury as well.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Hockeyfan68

These days being over 40 and just playing for fun my shotblocking technique is the Flamingo style of shot blocking which is to lift your foot out the way and let it go by.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Frankie Spankie

I actually blocked a shot exactly the same a year or two ago. I had the same problem where it stung at first but it went away. It hurt after the game a little and was red, bump, etc. I couldn't walk after a couple of hours and went to the hospital to be safe.

Now if it doesn't hurt after the game, I'm still putting ice on it. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:56 PM
blueberrydanish

I had a nasty hard snapshot hit me on the inside of my ankle right where the side of the shinguards(fabric part not plastic) and boot meet. It stung like a ***** immediatly went to bench and tried to just let the initial pain go away but it really wasn't.

Luckily was only open hockey, so I bailed out, went home and iced it and all. Pain really didnt go away but really wasnt a strong visual mark just small lightly bruised area, but the pain was just not going away.

I had this bump that hard as a small piece of bone but I was so confused cause I knew there wasnt any bones of that size in the ankle. Went in after a week and 63$ later my doctor says its just a clot in my vein and itd go away by itself in about a month or so.

The pain eventually went away I guess after maybe two weeks, mostly in the last week it was just pressure pain not a real bad one.

Hopefully it may just be something not to serious like that for ya.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
I had a nasty hard snapshot hit me on the inside of my ankle right where the side of the shinguards(fabric part not plastic) and boot meet. It stung like a ***** immediatly went to bench and tried to just let the initial pain go away but it really wasn't.

Luckily was only open hockey, so I bailed out, went home and iced it and all. Pain really didnt go away but really wasnt a strong visual mark just small lightly bruised area, but the pain was just not going away.

I had this bump that hard as a small piece of bone but I was so confused cause I knew there wasnt any bones of that size in the ankle. Went in after a week and 63$ later my doctor says its just a clot in my vein and itd go away by itself in about a month or so.

The pain eventually went away I guess after maybe two weeks, mostly in the last week it was just pressure pain not a real bad one.

Hopefully it may just be something not to serious like that for ya.
I love the Canadian health care system.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 03:50 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
I love the Canadian health care system.
same thing I was thinkin...but atleast my doc's office is like across the street! =]

Oh and not to mention the 63$ was for him seeing me for like 10 minutes, and just feeling my ankle hah.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:11 PM
GuitarAwesome

Just for kicks, I'll post some that aren;t ankles

Back in junior, I was relegated to using my large frame a la Holmstrom, aka, screen the goalie, let the clappers form the point go through. The right defenseman had a CANNON, and the basic PP idea was to let him tee it up, while I screened. Long story short, hr caught ALL of a one timed, and got me square on the cup. He completely flubbed his shot and shot it right AT me. I thought I broke my crotch the pain was so intense. People say "oh, you had a cup on, how bad could it be?" Imagine wearing a cup, and having some guy hit you with a sludgehammer. I had a cup shape bruise around my crotch for a week.

A few months ago (i still play with the guy with a howitzer to this day, we've played together since we were 10 or so), we were playing ball hockey, with a plain old orange ball.Same situation, me parked in front of the net. He catches me full on the inseem of my elbow. It broke the skin, in a large oval shape, and I had a massive cut at the time, but didnt think much of it. Two days later, the bruise was from the top of my shoulder, to my wrist. I have pictures of it. My arm was ENTIRELY black.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
densetsu

Don't know if this counts as a shot block per-say. While dressing for a game, I decided my visor was too scratched up, so I took it off. During the game, a defenceman was winding up for a slapshot and I was maybe six feet away, so I tried to poke the puck away from him. I touched it just before he took the shot; he duffed it, the puck ramped up blade, and got me in the cheek. Just a bruise, no teeth lost.

Even though my visor wouldn't have protected me from that particular shot, I put it right back on.

Favourite shot block was punching a snapshot out of the air and out of our defensive zone. I usually play goal, so it was just a reflex.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I have a cool visible bump that's been on my lower shin for about two years now.

Goalie made a save that took him out of the net to one side, rebound went to a player who passed it across to the other side where I was playing defense. I body up against the outside of the post then take a knee sort of like a would if I was playing goal. He takes a shot that somehow got me right where my shin guard had moved from bending my knee. Didn't hurt terribly for a few minutes, once it did I couldn't put weight on the leg for a day or two though.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:53 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Should have just kept playing..no harm would have been done. Plus you wouldnt have look like a pansy for leaving the game because of a "bruise" (no offense)

Should have iced it the second you took the skate off.

Now your going to be having a nice lump for awhile and no hockey for a few days.

Had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago btw. Couldnt even walk on my foot 3 hours after the game when it swelled up and I didnt ice it for the the 90 min car ride back....stepped out of my car and said ..."oh ****"

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:35 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Block enough shots you are bound to get injured. The only real injury i have ever had though from blocking a shot was a hair line fracture in my foot.

I have lost teeth and have had plenty of stitches though blocking shots, those arnt real injuries though.

Totally agree with the Canadian health care system

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Block enough shots you are bound to get injured. The only real injury i have ever had though from blocking a shot was a hair line fracture in my foot.

I have lost teeth and have had plenty of stitches though blocking shots, those arnt real injuries though.

Totally agree with the Canadian health care system
Manliest post of all-time?

I lost a bunch of teeth from blocking a shot once. Well, it was more like my partner blocked the shot, and it ramped up his stick directly into my mouth. This was hands down the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life. Losing the teeth wasn't really that painful, except on my wallet, but it's had a lasting psychological impact. Fake teeth just aren't the same I'm afraid, and I had to wear a temporary 'flipper' for a year or so before I could afford a permanent replacement. Try talking to women at a bar when your teeth are essentially connected to a retainer that you take out every night. Not fun.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:41 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Manliest post of all-time?

I lost a bunch of teeth from blocking a shot once. Well, it was more like my partner blocked the shot, and it ramped up his stick directly into my mouth. This was hands down the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life. Losing the teeth wasn't really that painful, except on my wallet, but it's had a lasting psychological impact. Fake teeth just aren't the same I'm afraid, and I had to wear a temporary 'flipper' for a year or so before I could afford a permanent replacement. Try talking to women at a bar when your teeth are essentially connected to a retainer that you take out every night. Not fun.
I meant it is not an injury that would stop one from playing, you can still play with no teeth, you cant play on a broken ankle.

I have personally have never got permanent replacements, i have no problem with not having my real teeth at all. I have not had them for 11 years. To each their own.

I have always tried to fine the positive side of it, it was like a right of passage or just another hockey "scar" trophy. I have never once regreted lossing my teeth and actually am kinda glad i did. It does get ya a little bit more respect on the ice.

Old
12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I meant it is not an injury that would stop one from playing, you can still play with no teeth, you cant play on a broken ankle.

I have personally have never got permanent replacements, i have no problem with not having my real teeth at all. I have not had them for 11 years. To each their own.

I have always tried to fine the positive side of it, it was like a right of passage or just another hockey "scar" trophy. I have never once regreted lossing my teeth and actually am kinda glad i did. It does get ya a little bit more respect on the ice.
Yeah, I guess having more respect on the ice would be nice if my hockey career went anywhere. It's a decent war story to have.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Elshupacabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Should have just kept playing..no harm would have been done. Plus you wouldnt have look like a pansy for leaving the game because of a "bruise" (no offense)
It was going to be my last shift of the game anyway. About 1:00 left in the third period.

Elshupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've still got some arch pain from blocking a shot a few weeks ago...I need to get out of the habit of turning my foot. Oddly enough the pain went away after a few days, then came back a week later. I'm assuming the tendons need to be stretched after recovering from the sprain.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Hockeyfan68

I've lost teeth playing hockey, most older guys have. Mine went from deflected shots though ... an unintentional shotblock I guess.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:03 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
These days being over 40 and just playing for fun my shotblocking technique is the Flamingo style of shot blocking which is to lift your foot out the way and let it go by.

One of my goalies gave me an earful in ball hockey because i jumped *over* a shot. He didn't set for it because he thought I would block it.

I didn't have any protection beyond some soccer shin guards, so there was really no way I was going to block that thing for a pickup game.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:05 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Yeah, I guess having more respect on the ice would be nice if my hockey career went anywhere. It's a decent war story to have.
Even in beer league you get a little bit more room if the other guy thinks your firetrucking crazy.

Old
12-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i block shots all the time. i should probably get shin guards that fit if im going to do it but whatver, its just an instinct to block shots because im more a a goalie than skater. my shins are like speed bumps.

the one time im wasnt going to block the shot because it was the end of the period and we were on a power play but im teammate passed me teh puck in the neutral zone and i turned it over so i skated back and saw teh guy wind up for a slap shot just inside the blue line because there was barely anytime left in the period and i felt bad for turning the puck over so i stepped infront of it. but like a moron i turned last second a bit and got it on teh ankle. that one hurt

also i got hit in the elbow with a slap shot during the practice i coach. i obviously wasnt wearing any protective equipment beside a helmet and halfie, so that one hurt too. i was ready to punch the kid in the adams apple i was so pissed. i was standing infront of the net as they were skating and of course people just shoot at the net no matter who is in the way of it....i should have made him skate the rest of the practice for that

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:18 PM
eberleclone

During the beginning of summer league last season I ended up blocking a slapshot that broke my collarbone and then after the puck hit me it went back to the same defenseman who hit me in the throat with a wristshot after I was down on the ice. That put me out for quite a while unfortunately. Needless to say I no longer go down to block shots anymore

eberleclone is offline   Reply With Quote