HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubnyk Deserves Duty!

Old
12-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Ranford30

vCash: 500
Dubnyk Deserves Duty!

Deslauries has given us some pretty good games, especially during the five game streak. However, he is still a seems like a shaky goaltender to me. He kicks rebounds all over the place, his puck playing is scary to say the least, and he goes down on shots that are five feet over the net. The only opportunity that Dubnyk has had was in a relief effort against the Canucks, and quite frankly, even in that game I was much more comfortable with him in the pipes. He seems more solid, and most importantly for me, he uses his size to his advantage by STAYING UP on the high shots. I truly believe that Dubnyk is the future of goaltending for this team, and just needs a fair opportunity to prove it. He didn't have a very good try out camp, but neither did Potulny and many others that have turned it up during the season. Besides, his Billy Ranford replica home mask is gorgeous! Who doesn't want to look at that more? I would like to see Dubnyk start a couple games, and if he does, given the opportunity I believe that he could jump ahead of JDD in the pecking order. Your thoughts...

Ranford30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Destroyko

My thoughts are that he'll get in eventually, maybe on the 30th against the Laughs since it's the middle game of a 3-in-4. Unless JD shows signs of fatigue to the coaching staff I don't see any reason to give him more than 2 games of the next 8 this month.

Destroyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:17 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranford30 View Post
I would like to see Dubnyk start a couple games, and if he does, given the opportunity I believe that he could jump ahead of JDD in the pecking order. Your thoughts...
Before last night I believe it was indicated that Deslauriers had moved into the top 15 in the league in save percentage. If Dubnyk could do better than that, we'd certainly have something cooking. I'm doubting that's in the cards.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

IMO JDD gets the Leafs and you let DD take the beating in the New Years game.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:21 PM
MrOiler

I would only put Dubnyk in if Khabi is gone long term and we need to rest JDD. No more 3 headed goalie monsters for me.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Soundwave

JDD has played well against Calgary and at the Saddledome to boot, I think he might just get every start from here on out through the New Year.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:24 PM
GatoradeG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
I would only put Dubnyk in if Khabi is gone long term and we need to rest JDD. No more 3 headed goalie monsters for me.
I agree. The team needs to know how the ice surface reacts with their sticks. It is only common sense.

+1

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Ranford30

Wow I really didn't think I was alone on this one. I don't know what it is, but JDD just makes me so nervous when he is in the net. I truly think that Dubnyk is simply the better goalie. He just hasn't been given the opportunity to prove it.

Ranford30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:43 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
I have to shake my head we don't want JDD because DD is the new goalie? How is he more solid? He played a game and his numbers are a lot worse then JDD.

I don't know what JDD will be or DD, but to say DD is better because of one game is worse then the guy that called in and said we should trade hemmer for two prospects last night.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:44 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
yeah, im with the poster. theres something off about his technique that is scary. hes played pretty solid though. the "anything high beats" me is scary. yesterday, he didnt get much help. the Grebs turnover and Staios retardia didnt make it easy. the O'Donnell goal was basically because no one wanted to try to block the shot. they just stand there, probably partially screening him. i cant even remember the other goal.

hes been decent.
but id like to see Dubnyk play too in NHL action.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:03 PM
GatoradeG*

I think JDD looks awkward out there. Just the way he makes saves and moves. Maybe it is his technique but it looks weird to me. I am not sure how to put this but I am scared every time the other team shoots the puck. I didn't have that when we had Khabi in net. To an extent Roloson too. I hope the kid pans out but he needs to be more sharp at the beginning of games. He does alright in the middle but then the end he ends the game like either a beast or a bust.

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Rin

Quote:
Wow I really didn't think I was alone on this one. I don't know what it is, but JDD just makes me so nervous when he is in the net. I truly think that Dubnyk is simply the better goalie. He just hasn't been given the opportunity to prove it.

I am a lot less nervous when he is IN the net. As soon as he gets out of his net to play the puck is when the nerves kick in for me.

I haven't seen enough of Dubnyk to know whether or not he is better than JDD. I definately think Deslauriers gets both Flames games given his history vs them.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Oilerdiehard

I would like to see Dubnyk get some games. Maybe start a rotation with him and JDD. Especially if there is no news that Khabi will be back ASAP.

Otherwise we should make a deal for a cheap, vet back up. Then send Dubnyk back down to Springfield where he can get in playing time. He was starting to take a healthy step ahead in his development this season. I sort of feel like we are interrupting an important year for him and just letting him rot on the bench. He definitely seems like the kind of kid that needs to play regularly at this point.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
Few points. First I have no idea what JDD or DD will become in this league. Second JDD has a .914 SPCT playing against NHLers, Dubnyk .917 against AHLers. JDD is on 13 games straight, why wouldn't they play Dubnyk by now if they had faith in him?

JDD does scare me from time to time, but for every bad goal he allows he makes a lot more saves that he shouldn't. Give Dubnyk the odd game here and there, but that is about it for now. We are almost better off giving him a few games and then sending him back to the minors so he can further develop. Sign some old guy to back up JDD.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Alik Bordour

They should split games between them to decide who is the future goalie for the team. This is the best opportunity to get Dubnyk some NHL experience. Otherwise next season we'll see 3 headed monster again or they will trade Dubnyk without giving him a chance, because they won't go to a season with a starting goalie with chronic injury history and back-up goalie without any NHL experience.

Alik Bordour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
He deserves doodie? Ruh roh?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He deserves doodie? Ruh roh?
Someone hit the booze early!

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Someone hit the booze early!
Sorry, I guess when it comes to **** talk I cant help myself. I would like to see Dubnyk get some games but he will probably sit on the end of the bench like a **** buzzard.

Old
12-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

To be honest I think JDD is a better goalie than Dubnyk. From asking some falcons fans last year and 2 years ago most guys say Deslauriers is better. Also based on my own knowledge Deslauriers is a battler. He may not be the most polished guy but he'll fight for every save and loose puck is athletic enough to make up for his shortcomings. Obviously he's young so those shortcomings will be made up for in the long run.

Also Dubnyk goes down a lot earlier than JDD imo. I watched the vancouver game and there were times where he was on his knees before a player even shot the puck.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:19 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
To be honest I think JDD is a better goalie than Dubnyk. From asking some falcons fans last year and 2 years ago most guys say Deslauriers is better. Also based on my own knowledge Deslauriers is a battler. He may not be the most polished guy but he'll fight for every save and loose puck is athletic enough to make up for his shortcomings. Obviously he's young so those shortcomings will be made up for in the long run.

Also Dubnyk goes down a lot earlier than JDD imo. I watched the vancouver game and there were times where he was on his knees before a player even shot the puck.
That is JDD's mo.

Old
12-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
That is JDD's mo.
It's a big young goaltenders mo. They'll learn. Mentally they are still not used to the fact that nhl players can snipe it on them unlike AHL players.

I agree Dubnyk should get some games however I really don't expect him to get very many from the way JDD has been playing. He has really been the key to a lot of our wins making clutch save after clutch save. There's nothing wrong with a little healthy competition between young goalies however I don't expect Dubnyk to perform as well as Deslauriers.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
The problem is that it's YOUR nervousness that needs to get cured, not his. Until JDD plays poorly, don't expect Dubnyk in net.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:53 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post

I thought DD looked pretty decent when JDD was pulled, he even made a GREAT glove save in the 3rd period. And with DD's size (he's 6'6!) Im not too worried about him going on his knees lots because his shoulders are pretty much the same height as the crossbar, and DD has long legs. DD covers an insane amount of net.

I understand you being nervous about DD right now, but in my opinion he should get some action on the big league while he's here and atleast get a good taste of what to expect in the future. Also I dont think DD is a gauranteed loss if or when he gets a start. Im looking forward to seeing how DD does when the time comes.

1st post!!

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote