HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quinn: First game back stuff is a bloody excuse

Old
12-16-2009, 02:39 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quinn: First game back stuff is a bloody excuse

You heard it from the horse's mouth.

That was obviously directed at Grebs. He made a few brutal plays.

If Grebs turns into the next MA Bergeron could you imagine us just dumping him for the year so that we could bring Chorney back up? I was thrilled to see Chorney not looking out of place on our roster.

He's made such a huge amount of progress since a year ago.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Petro Points

it was directed at the team not Grebeshkov... First game back after a long road trip..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Giant Moo

What's a "Quin"?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
What's a "Quin"?
It's a peice of hair that grows under your fingernail.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:57 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
it was directed at the team not Grebeshkov... First game back after a long road trip..
1st L.A goal can be credited to Grebs.
He coughs up the puck in the offensive zone. Nothing new. Does he still lead the league in giveaways despite having missed 10+ games? He's -8 in 20 games. Brutal. 0.5PPG isn't bad for a defenseman but it means nothing when you're stats are helping the other team.

2nd goal I think it was Souray who should've kept up with Brown who went straight to the net. No hustle there.

3rd goal can't really blame anyone.

Guess you're right. I just like having Grebs for a scapegoat.

He didn't look this bad playing with Lubo last year... some could say that Lubo might've played well enough positionally to make up for Grebs' mistakes... but he also managed to keep himself in position to score a lot of points and one can't be in 2 places at once, can he?

First game back could've been directed at the whole team. We've been chewing out guys like Horcoff(No drive, no aggression, no points), O'Sullivan(Shoots from the dumbest places), Moreau(Dumb penalties and defensive zone mistakes when 5on5), Hemsky(Always shooting from the outside or losing the puck in the offensive zone), Grebs(Giveaways), Gilbert(Less scoring more giveaways), Strudwick(Poor 5 on 5 play) this year... but I think we can say that Grebs and Horcoff are having the worst problems this year.

Really, how hard can it be to be to be cautious when you have the puck? To make smart decisions with the puck? How can one player have poise and smarts with the puck one year the none of it whatsever the next? It's like going back to being a rookie... except he was much more reliable as a rookie.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
It's a peice of hair that grows under your fingernail.
A nasty medical condition, akin to when a tramp gets a cold and hacks.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Bouch1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
A nasty medical condition, akin to when a tramp gets a cold and hacks.
so win

Bouch1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:37 PM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
"Quin"

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Lessy

He's pretty much the definition of high risk-high reward. At this point, the games are few and far between where the reward outweighs the risk but I wouldn't rule out that happening at some point in the future. He's the kind of guy that will make some of the most moronic plays on one shift and the very next shift will make a play that maybe 5 guys in the entire NHL can make. Not many players in this league have the vision and imagination to make that drop pass to Cogs where he drew the penalty late in the game last night.

I mentioned this in the PGT but it's worth mentioning here. There is no need to spend 6 million dollars on a third pairing. Smid has clearly passed Gilbert and Grebs and is easily our third best defender on the depth chart. That leaves one of G-G on the third pairing at a 3+ million dollar salary along with Staios at 2.7. The difference is Gilbert and Grebs have trade value that could potentially get us a forward with some size. Tambellini should really look to moving one of these guys with a guy like Cogliano for a Ryane Clowe type player.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

If Grebs turns into the next MA Bergeron could you imagine us just dumping him for the year so that we could bring Chorney back up? I was thrilled to see Chorney not looking out of place on our roster.

What the hell are you talking about? Did you watch anything other that the first minute of the game? Grebs was fine.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:30 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
what is the record for indivual teams first game back from a four or five game road trip?

a know a few years ago--most teams in the west and Pacific divviosn team lost the first hiome game after coming off a 4-5 road trip was 75%

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Did you watch anything other that the first minute of the game? Grebs was fine.
I did watch the entire game and I think Grebs did have a pretty rough game. But unlike others around here I am willing to wait it out.

Old
12-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I did watch the entire game and I think Grebs did have a pretty rough game. But unlike others around here I am willing to wait it out.
Grebs was vital to at least 3 of the shifts where we had sustained pressure in the offensive zone.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Grebs was vital to at least 3 of the shifts where we had sustained pressure in the offensive zone.
I didn't say every shift sucked. But all in all I think Grebs would even say he had a rough game. He just made a couple of untimely mental errors. Like I said nothing to write home about.

Old
12-16-2009, 04:59 PM
OneSharpMarble

MAB is playing quite well on montreals powerplay. Keep him out of defensive situations and he dominates for pocket change.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:24 PM
27theROCK

Yeah other than the one bad puck play that got away Grebs looked okay. I also thought on that play that Staios was just as much to blame because he really just stood out there not taking the shooter early and didnt break up the pass... he basically just had a good seat for a nice goal.

I think Quinn was more or less talking about the team making excuses for coming out flat. he is trying to give this young team an attitude that it isnt okay to just show up.

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:25 PM
27theROCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
MAB is playing quite well on montreals powerplay. Keep him out of defensive situations and he dominates for pocket change.
+1

I would take MAB back at dirt cheap over a lot of other guys out there. He is a poor mans souray on the PP.

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Julio18

OP - do you honestly think that Quinn would call out a single player in the media about having a bit of a rough first game back?! There isn't a coach in the league that would do that - not even the Sutter's are that shrewd.

Grebs had a decent performance - the puck jumped over his stick early on, it happens. Last night the puck was bouncing all over (on account of those dirty curlers ). Regardless, Grebs is an upgrade over Chorney and Struds right now - JMO.

Julio18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:40 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27theROCK View Post
+1

I would take MAB back at dirt cheap over a lot of other guys out there. He is a poor mans souray on the PP.
Yeah, a poor man's Souray. He's Souray without the offensive ability, size, leadership, mean streak, and ability to play defense.

By that description, I'm a "poor man's Souray" and I can't even friggin' skate.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:44 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Yeah, a poor man's Souray. He's Souray without the offensive ability, size, leadership, mean streak, and ability to play defense.

**** we should sign you dirt cheap then

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:52 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post

No offensive ability? He has 7 goals and 9 assists in 27 games, sure he doesn't have a mean streak, size or leadership but he also doesn't cost 5.4 million on the cap. His defensive skills are probably no worse than Sourays. Remember I watched Souray get the pylon treatment almost every week for several seasons so don't try it.

The guys makes a paultry 0.750mill and is far outplaying his paycheque by being a driving force on the Habs powerplay which sits at a respectable 10th in the league.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

Sorry you completely misunderstood Quinn's comments. He was talking about the team coming back from a long road trip, not Grebs coming back from his injury.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:35 PM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Sorry you completely misunderstood Quinn's comments. He was talking about the team coming back from a long road trip, not Grebs coming back from his injury.
this^^

This has nothing to do with Grebs.. a lot was made in the media about how the first game back from a road trip is tough, like it's an acceptable loss. I'm glad Quinn doesn't let these 'acceptable losses' slide, it's a silly concept.

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
And even if it was directed at Grebs, as excuses go, first game back after a month of an injury that kept him off skates for 3 weeks is not a bad one. Rink rust is a real thing.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Oilerdiehard

It was clearly directed at the whole team and not Grebs. I am slightly amazed the OP thought otherwise.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote