HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quinn: First game back stuff is a bloody excuse

Old
12-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
what is the record for indivual teams first game back from a four or five game road trip?

a know a few years ago--most teams in the west and Pacific divviosn team lost the first hiome game after coming off a 4-5 road trip was 75%
The Oilers are particularily prone to falling apart though.

I remember in December 2005, we went on a great tear on the road and were no.1 in the NW division, which about the latest in the season I can remember us being no.1 in the NW since the lock out.

What happens when we get home? Lose to Minnesota (not a playoff team then) back to back on our own home ice and then crap the bed versus Calgary on New Years.

They were never in 1st place after that.

Mac T's Oilers had a terrible, terrible habit of looking like they were off for 2 months almost every time they'd get more than 2 days off in a row.

Good for Quinn for calling the team out, even if the effort was OK, if there is even a smidgen of hope of making the playoffs, this team does not have the luxury of writing off the first game after a road trip. They just don't.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Schitzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The Oilers are particularily prone to falling apart though.
Or not.

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=3277

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
That number may be inflated by pre-lockout Oiler squads. My read on this team at least since the lock out is they often times look terrible after getting 2 or 3 days off.

How many times have we seen them lose to a team playing the second night of a back-to-back whereas they've had a couple of days off at home?

Now granted, I think some of Quinn's "outrage" is faux outrage ... he's playing it up for effect to send a message to the players that you shouldn't be going home happy with just a good effort. As he should ... that's what a good coach does.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Loweball

Grebs is going to be better than Smid IMO and I love Smid. I really think the Oilers have some nice peices to deal from the defense. If Staios could go great but I would move Gilbert before Grebs. The guy will be great again in 3 or 4 games. Wow some guys need to relax. He needs a few games to get the timing back. Unreal.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Yeah, a poor man's Souray. He's Souray without the offensive ability, size, leadership, mean streak, and ability to play defense.

By that description, I'm a "poor man's Souray" and I can't even friggin' skate.
LOL Bergeron's got as many goals as anyone our entire 2nd line, and would 3rd on the team in goals.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:54 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
LOL Bergeron's got as many goals as anyone our entire 2nd line, and would 3rd on the team in goals.
Tied with 3 people for third and all three of them are much better hockey players.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Good point, we along with 30 other teams ****ed up when they left him unsigned at the start of the season. Montreal was really fortunate that they had the first biggest d-injury on the year. Or maybe they planned it.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:03 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
A nasty medical condition, akin to when a tramp gets a cold and hacks.
a whorecough?

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Ragss

Just watching the video on the homepage. I love Quinn. "Stupid doesn't win games".

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Willy Lindstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
It was clearly directed at the whole team and not Grebs. I am slightly amazed the OP thought otherwise.
+1
I thought Quinn was spot on. Could already hear the players "We played good enough to win" etc.
His tirade was pre-emptive. Let his players know that close doesn't cut it. Played good but lost is crap. Find a way to win, not a way to lose.
Remember when Glen Anderson came back several years ago to play a few games? He couldn't get over the fact that the Oilers didn't hate to lose.
I think that's what Quinn is trying to instill. The Hate to Lose attitude.

Willy Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:38 PM
smithboy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Lindstrom View Post
+1
I thought Quinn was spot on. Could already hear the players "We played good enough to win" etc.
His tirade was pre-emptive. Let his players know that close doesn't cut it. Played good but lost is crap. Find a way to win, not a way to lose.
Remember when Glen Anderson came back several years ago to play a few games? He couldn't get over the fact that the Oilers didn't hate to lose.
I think that's what Quinn is trying to instill. The Hate to Lose attitude.
And as soon as the team rids itself of players who accept losing, they might start to win

smithboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Harley

Well I didn't think Quinn did such a great job either.

1 Changed a winning lineup. I can see adding Grebeshkov. But why mix up the forward lines that just won 5 in a row.

2 Going with only 3 lines in the third. You are playing a tired team and have momentum. Keep rolling fresh bodies. Keep after them. Especially when our two biggest forwards got to watch LA steamroll us.

3 I'm not a big O'Sullivan fan but demoting him to the fourth line and then benching him for the third period against his former team is the kind of thing Mac T would do. I agree with the demotion. Doing it then was bush league.

And I still don't like his stance on heavyweights. The Oilers went through this bull for years with Mac T. We finally decided we did need one. And Quinn comes in here and has MacIntyre run out of town? Thats crap. And guess what happens? Jacques gets rag dolled by a heavyweight. And there is nothing we can do about it. There's a lot of teams a lot better than the Oilers that carry one. Maybe Jacques should start bouncing a few right hands off the side of Grandpa Grumpy's head and see how he likes it. I know I'd like to right now.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote